Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trash Can

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If in America, Apple will refund your money to the credit/debit card it was purchased. It might take as long as a week for the credit to show on your account. If you paid cash, I think they mail you a check or you can specify a gift card.

My experience is that the credit will show up on your account within 2 business days, but it depends more so on your financial institution than Apple.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
It's quick and painless for the actual return as long as you didn't abuse/break it. As others have mentioned your money will be back in your account in 1-5 business days depending on your bank.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Based on what you've stated, you shouldn't have any problem returning the device. It'll take a few days for the refund to process, but the return should be quick and painless. I purchase on credit card, and returns that I've made through Apple take about 3 days to post the refund. A refund by check may likely take longer.

Reactions: borgsauce

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
IF using Debit cards, it depends on what bank you use. Bank that I use typically post refunds at midnight after the return is processed. Therefore I have money in my account the next day (Doesn't show as a pending, so I have the funds readily available).

Reactions: borgsauce

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Thank you all for the reply. I made the purchase through Debit, and I dont mind waiting for a couple of days to get the refund aslong as it goes through which you guys have confirmed. Some how i have this tiny bit of guilt using the return policy for the said purpose lol. But then again I think its justifiable considering the phone came with a manufacturers defect. Was so tempted to try out an iphone se or the Jetblack but went with the same matte black.

I wouldn't hesitate to return the phone because of a defect within the 14 day window. No need to feel guilty. :)

Reactions: Oldmanmac

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
So im one of those unfortunate users with the iPhone 7 Matte Black flaking/chipping at the bottom corner on the microphone grill. Tried setting up appointment with the Apple store but im all out of luck for the next week or so. I went to the store anyways and was told to visit one of their 3rd party certified techs.
So i went to the 3rd party tech and was told id need to give the phone in for inspection for atleast 4 days. And since i didnt have a spare phone and needed one for work, i did what some users here recommended, i went and bought another iphone 7.

Now my question is, when i go in to return the device for refund, how long is the refund process? And provided the device remains in pristine condition, is it a guarantee that i get a refund? Im just a bit worried and needed some clarification based on other users experience. Thank you.

I returned an iPhone 7 within the 14 day return window back in September. There was a long queue for buying stuff in the store that day but they got someone who was working on accessories to process the return for me so I didn't have to wait long. Took maybe 15 minutes. Very impressed by the customer service, I expected to be at the back of the queue as I was just returning stuff and not buying but the opposite was true. Where I worked in retail at EE we were always told to strongly prioritise sales over customer support. It was very refreshing to see that Apple didn't have the same policy.

For the record, I was returning the iPhone because a few days after ordering it online I learnt that I would be losing my job at EE, so I couldn't justify keeping it.

LoliS

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2017
I wouldn't hesitate to return the phone because of a defect within the 14 day window. No need to feel guilty. :)
Um, that isn't what happened. OP bought a phone and it is chipping. It will take 4 days for him to get his phone back. Since he didn't have a spare phone, he bought another iPhone 7 and is going to return it for a refund when he gets his original phone back. There is nothing wrong with the phone he is returning.

Basically he decided he was going to borrow a phone from Apple for free since there is no restocking fee :(

And this is why we can't have nice things.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Um, that isn't what happened. OP bought a phone and it is chipping. It will take 4 days for him to get his phone back. Since he didn't have a spare phone, he bought another iPhone 7 and is going to return it for a refund when he gets his original phone back. There is nothing wrong with the phone he is returning.

Basically he decided he was going to borrow a phone from Apple for free since there is no restocking fee :(

gimme a break. Ive been in a similar situation, and apple told me to buy another iphone then return it when I get mine back.

If ppl were really abusing Apples return policy, it would have a restocking fee.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

You hit the nail on the head.

The OP is not doing a good thing. He is capitalizing on something that he should not do.

Reactions: LoliS

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You hit the nail on the head.

The OP is not doing a good thing. He is capitalizing on something that he should not do.
Or perhaps something that even Apple can recommend doing:
gimme a break. Ive been in a similar situation, and apple told me to buy another iphone then return it when I get mine back.

If ppl were really abusing Apples return policy, it would have a restocking fee.

LoliS

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2017
Lol! No, sorry not buying it. And even if that isn't a lie, "Apple" didn't tell you to do that, some person who works at a low level position at Apple and who does not have the authority to offer that option to you suggested you engage in shady behavior.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I still don't quite follow why Apple referred someone to a 3rd party to deal with that type of a defect, as well as why a 3rd party or anyone would need access to a device for days in relation to a defect like that.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Lol! No, sorry not buying it. And even if that isn't a lie, "Apple" didn't tell you to do that, some person who works at a low level position at Apple and who does not have the authority to offer that option to you suggested you engage in shady behavior.
Umm, if anyone at Apple said it, whether he's an entry level employee or the CEO, he represents Apple.

Have you not worked retail before? if not, you should.

LoliS

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2017
Or perhaps something that even Apple can recommend doing:
Nah, "Apple" didn't recommend doing it. An anonymous poster on the internet claims some low level Apple employee suggested he engage in shady behavior. That low level Apple employee does not have the authority to offer that option to a customer.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Nah, "Apple" didn't recommend doing it. An anonymous poster on the internet claims some low level Apple employee suggested he engage in shady behavior. That low level Apple employee does not have the authority to offer that option to a customer.
How does a low level apple employee not have the authority ?

Hes a sales rep, he can say and do whatever he wants....

LoliS

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2017
Umm, if anyone at Apple said it, whether he's an entry level employee or the CEO, he represents Apple.
Rouge employees can't bind their employers when they are acting outside of the scope of their employment

And whose to say it is even true, I doubt it is.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Rouge employees can't bind their employers when they are acting outside of the scope of their employment

And whose to say it is even true, I doubt it is.
Lol ok I'm done here, you sound ridiculous. A rogue employee. Lol.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

The OP buying the phone isn't interfering with you having "nice things." You are free to buy whatever you like.

Edited to add: I don't agree with buying a phone knowing you are only going to keep it for4 days. Last time I checked, Apple doesn't rent phones. However, if you called, or talked to an Apple rep and were told to do that, that is between you and Apple. I have no problem if Apple gave the go ahead.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
A representative is called that because he/she represents the company. Now perhaps something might not be an "official" policy or something like that, but that doesn't make it something less than that simply based on that. If it's actually against some policy or discouraged in some way and isn't allowed then the representative made a mistake (on purpose or not) and while it's on the representative individually it's still also on the company as well given that the representative acted on behalf of the company.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
A representative is called that because he/she represents the company. Now perhaps something might not be an "official" policy or something like that, but that doesn't make it something less than that simply based on that. If it's actually against some policy or discouraged in some way and isn't allowed then the representative made a mistake (on purpose or not) and while it's on the representative individually it's still also on the company as well given that the representative acted on behalf of the company.
exactly, thats what I'm trying to tell this guy lol. maybe he will listen to you.

LoliS

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2017
This is no less of a scumbag move than when a woman "buys" a dress to wear to a party and leaves the tags on it so they can return it after the party. No retailer authorizes that. Apple is no exception.

I don't believe for one minute that Apple reps tell people to do that. And if there are rouge employees doing this, let me know the name of the store so I can call the store manager and ask them if their employees should be doing that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.