Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Just got my new unit back and as stated above the serial number starts with N. I cant tell though if this is a re-manufactured or actually brand new, it just looks pristine and everything works perfect. Wondering if it was refurbished would it ever affect resale value in the future, any thoughts? Also managed to return the second iPhone 7 no questions asked, she was really helpful and easy going, it literally took less than 2 minutes processing the return and 15 minutes casual conversation lol.I have never seen such customer service anywhere else.
Resale value will be no different than any other used phone, provided the condition is well cared for.

Reactions: borgsauce

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Okay just an update for anyone wanting to know. 3rd party techs just informed they got approval to process a replacement which I'll be getting in a few days. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if this is the norm, but they won't give me a retail box only the unit. I was told it would be a brand new device. Is this normal?
It is

And I am wondering if apple told you to go to a third party since the Apple Store isn't the best option but either way you'd need to have it serviced because

1) it's on the iPhone upgrade program
2) it's been a couple of months and they won't just retail swap it (even if it's past 14/30 days, exceptions can be made)
3) it wasn't purchased at an Apple Store so even though it's an apple product, the serial doesn't register with their system as it was sold to a third party for their inventory keep.

I say this because they ended up doing what a retail swap essential is anyways, you just had to wait a few days.

But since yours was done through servicing and not retail swap; you don't get anything but the phone, so that's why it's in the white flat box. Usually in the very beginning those are new phones anyways (I would think) and as time passes and folks "borrow" the phone via return policy of 14 days...those items get sent out and those get tested, "refurbished" and essentially white boxed.

So OP was essentially trading in a retail phone that no longer can be sold at retail, for a full refund, and it will most likely be shipped off and remade to be a Genius Bar phone...which is what he got back.

I don't know why people are getting mad about him doing it even IF an apple employee didn't advise him to do so.

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Interesting way of putting it. Just to be sure I contacted Apple support chat then gave them the serial number of the replacement device. Was told it was brand new and not a remanufactured device. And although I hadn't bought the device from an Apple Store, I checked through the Apple website, which mentioned that it was covered. I had the assumption that all iPhone 7 regardless of where it was purchased comes with a 1 year warranty.
It could be new and not refurbished because it was simply returned at the Apple Store and so they had to return it to an offsite rather then turn around and return it to the store's inventory...just like if someone opened it and used it, they test it to find nothing wrong, looked over it cosmetically..technically they didn't do anything other then repackage it. Does refurbish mean repackaged?

As for the warranty you may want to check the paperwork you signed. When I had problems with my 6s (unexpected shut down before it became a program) the tech swapped my phone out BUT I signed paperwork stating the new phone was only covered 90 days (a lot of folks miss this even though it's pointed out--in your case since it was done elsewhere, maybe the same rules don't apply to you).

Refurbished phones brought off the refurbished part of apples website, like the laptops and tv refurbished as well..they do come with a one year warranty just as if you brought it new in an Apple Store.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
As for the warranty you may want to check the paperwork you signed. When I had problems with my 6s (unexpected shut down before it became a program) the tech swapped my phone out BUT I signed paperwork stating the new phone was only covered 90 days (a lot of folks miss this even though it's pointed out--in your case since it was done elsewhere, maybe the same rules don't apply to you).

This depends on when your phone gets replaced. Your original warranty do get transferred over from your original device to the replacement device. So in OP case, he would still have 5-6 months of warranty left depending on when he purchased the phone.

Now if you took the phone in for service after 11 month and replaced the device, then the replaced phone is covered under that 90 day warranty (rather you have extended 90 days from the day it was replaced). Even if you get the phone replaced after the original warranty expired, you still get 90 day warranty on that replacement device. My sister's 6 was water damaged after 2 years of owning it, paid OOW fee. The replacement device she got had issues with cellular connectivity and they replaced it for free because it was under the new 90 day warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.