Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Lol!!! OK, you have just shown me I need to cut you off. There is no sense in continuing to discuss this with someone who doesn't understand basic things.

Those of you who do these shady things run up the costs and this results in higher prices for the rest of us. It is scumbag behavior. I can't stop you from doing it, but I am going to call you out on it when you do.

Buy a back up device FFS. Don't "rent" a brand new flagship. What a scumbag move.
Ok dude. Have a good day.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Um, that isn't what happened. OP bought a phone and it is chipping. It will take 4 days for him to get his phone back. Since he didn't have a spare phone, he bought another iPhone 7 and is going to return it for a refund when he gets his original phone back. There is nothing wrong with the phone he is returning.

Basically he decided he was going to borrow a phone from Apple for free since there is no restocking fee :(

And this is why we can't have nice things.

Ah, never mind

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I can't believe people are defending apple... like chill out, they're the richest company in the world, they can afford to put things in a box and reseal it or sell it refurbished where they still make most of the money from it anyways. I've also been told to do similar things when I lost my Apple TV remote. The employee told me to buy the remote to make the TV work again and set it up with the remote app on my TV and then just return it once I was done and it wouldn't be an issue.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I can't believe people are defending apple... like chill out, they're the richest company in the world, they can afford to put things in a box and reseal it or sell it refurbished where they still make most of the money from it anyways. I've also been told to do similar things when I lost my Apple TV remote. The employee told me to buy the remote to make the TV work again and set it up with the remote app on my TV and then just return it once I was done and it wouldn't be an issue.

Stop trying to justify your actions.

I wish I could have gotten that Apple employee name -if- that story is true. I think you are lying, but that's neither here nor there.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seems like what the OP has been asking about has been pretty much taken care of in the initial one or two handful of replies.

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016
Why didn't op just wait a week for an appointment? He had to wait the 4 days anyways to get his phone back. Seems a bit backwards.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012

I wish I could have gotten that Apple employee name -if- that story is true. I think you are lying, but that's neither here nor there.

lol yep I have nothing better to do with my time than lie about an Apple TV remote on an internet forum. I've also bought and returned several apple watches because that's literally what the policy is for. I don't mind paying more for Apple stuff because every time I've decided I don't want a product after trying I'm able to return it hassle free (that and their support has been incredible).

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016

Name for what? Cause you're gonna go report him? You're the problem, not the original poster.

I actually laugh at people who say "can I speak to the manager" cause I tell them no every time. And they walk away angry as hell.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don't believe for one minute that Apple reps tell people to do that. And if there are rouge employees doing this, let me know the name of the store so I can call the store manager and ask them if their employees should be doing that.

Yet, you're speaking as if every Apple employee is the de facto of the rule, that they certainly couldn't deviate or mis-inform a customer of something they should or shouldn't do. Your wrong. There have been plenty of times where "Low Level" Apple employee's have provided false information to the customer, where they shouldn't have.

And what does calling an Apple Store prove? Absolutely nothing. Can the store manager vouch for every employee based on what they say? No. Perhaps to the best of their knowledge based on training and experience, but not every Apple employee reads off a script either. In the retail world, it doesn't work the way you project if to.

Reactions: borgsauce

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Okay just an update for anyone wanting to know. 3rd party techs just informed they got approval to process a replacement which I'll be getting in a few days. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if this is the norm, but they won't give me a retail box only the unit. I was told it would be a brand new device. Is this normal?
Yes it is completely normal. When doing a warranty replacement, they don't replace you with the retail box. The replacement unit comes in a white box with just the phone. It's been like this for years. And yes the housing, screen, and battery is new.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Name for what? Cause you're gonna go report him? You're the problem, not the original poster.

I actually laugh at people who say "can I speak to the manager" cause I tell them no every time. And they walk away angry as hell.

If you can't direct me to a manager, someone else can. You are the only employee in the establishment?!

More fool you if you think a simple 'No' will dissuade me from making a complaint if it is called for.

I know that many people take advantage of Apple's return policy for whatever the reasons...doesn't excuse the fact that it is not right. It's not on the same level is stealing or attacking someone...but I never said it was.

Nowhere does Apple say "purchase-use for limited amount of time-return item for full refund" is an approved method of obtaining a loaner device.

Nice try, but no dice.

Last edited:

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016
If you can't direct me to a manager, someone else can. You are the only employer in the establishment?!

More fool you if you think a simple 'No' will dissuade me from making a complaint if it is called for.

I know that many people take advantage of Apple's return policy for whatever the reasons...doesn't excuse the fact that it is not right. It's not on the same level is stealing or attacking someone...but I never said it was.

Nowhere does Apple say "purchase-use for limited amount of time-return item for full refund" is an approved method of obtaining a loaner device.

Nice try, but no dice.

But what do you accomplish by being such a person? Does it really matter?

You feel good inside?

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
But what do you accomplish by being such a person? Does it really matter?

You feel good inside?

I wouldnt say I would feel good afterwards, but I certainly wouldn't be ashamed.

Civic duty ...probably describes it best.

Though for the record...I have yet "to speak to a manager" for anything other than my own affairs up to now.

But if I was in an Apple store and were to hear an employee suggest what the OP did, yes...I would say something to the manager.

Last edited:

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
entitled? I never said entitled I don't mind it being a refurbished unit. I was hoping I'd get the box so the imei and serial number matches the phone. Also I did mention that the tech brought up several times that it was going to be brand new device right?
Yes it will be brand new but the model number will start with N instead of M. Since they have to differentiate between white box replacement and retail box.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Thank you all for the reply. I made the purchase through Debit, and I dont mind waiting for a couple of days to get the refund aslong as it goes through which you guys have confirmed. Some how i have this tiny bit of guilt using the return policy for the said purpose lol. But then again I think its justifiable considering the phone came with a manufacturers defect. Was so tempted to try out an iphone se or the Jetblack but went with the same matte black.

I did the same when Apple had my iPhone 6 Plus in for about a week to get repaired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.