Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2013
Anyone successfully connect an old 27" Apple LED Cinema Display (Mini DisplayPort model) to the new M1 Mac mini via a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort Adapter?

There is a post on the Apple forums about a 24" model working fine when connected to a 2019 MacBook Pro, but doesn't work when connected to the M1 Mac mini. In theory it should work, but Apple may be removing support for such displays on the newer hardware.

Any feedback welcome.

maczealot

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2006
Nope. I bought USB-C to Mini DisplayPort Adapter off Amazon and it did not work.
Apple is clear about their Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter not working for Mini DisplayPort

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2013
It's not a Thunderbolt display, therefor you can't use a Thunderbolt adapter, I know it must use a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter... however Apple changed the USB-C ports to USB-4, so there is a question as to whether the adapters will work anymore. The USB-C adapter works with the INTEL Mac Mini for example (confirmed by many). What has not been confirmed is whether the display can be connected to the M1 Mac Mini... so far there seems to be no evidence that it can.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
I'm also wondering about this issue. I have an even older 24'' Cinema Display, which I currently use with a 2017 MBP and USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapter. I consider getting a M1 Mac Mini and am not sure if there is an adapter that would work.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2013
So far there is no evidence that the older Apple Cinema Displays will work on the new M1 Macs. There have been several reports of them not working on the M1 but working on non-M1 Macs just fine. So the adapters work, the displays work, and the interface works on other Macs just not on the M1 Macs.

Whether it's a port thing (USB-4 is not the same as USB-C on previous Macs), a T2 chip thing (seems these bad boys have major influence over how your Macs run or don't run), or a failure to add the appropriate code to allow the device to even recognize the display (if it ain't less than 5 years old it doesn't exist) only Apple knows.

Given all the other external display compatibility issues... I think this is one area that wasn't actually tested out all that much by Apple... but it does work with their Flagship XDR display!

Reactions: MacBird

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2013
I have one confirmed success story about connecting a 27" Apple Cinema Display (Thunderbolt 2 version) to the new M1 Mac mini. The owner is using the Apple Thunderbolt-2 to Thunderbolt-3 Adapter.

You will need to scroll down a bit to ratephi's post. He responded with more answers about it's functionality and the adapter he was using.

Still no confirmed success with the Mini DisplayPort version. Don't know if anyone has successfully connected any Mini DisplayPort display to the M1 Mac via a USB-C adapter. Apple still hasn't clarified any display limitations using adapters with the new M1 Macs.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2013
Nope. I bought USB-C to Mini DisplayPort Adapter off Amazon and it did not work.
Apple is clear about their Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter not working for Mini DisplayPort
Maczealot, which adapter specifically did you try? Could you link to it? You last link was just the launch page for Amazon. Maybe it was the adapter that was bad?

Trippy Bear

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
I have one confirmed success story about connecting a 27" Apple Cinema Display (Thunderbolt 2 version) to the new M1 Mac mini. The owner is using the Apple Thunderbolt-2 to Thunderbolt-3 Adapter.

You will need to scroll down a bit to ratephi's post. He responded with more answers about it's functionality and the adapter he was using.

Still no confirmed success with the Mini DisplayPort version. Don't know if anyone has successfully connected any Mini DisplayPort display to the M1 Mac via a USB-C adapter. Apple still hasn't clarified any display limitations using adapters with the new M1 Macs.
Apple Cinema Display is NOT Thunderbolt. There is the Apple Cinema Display and then there's the Thunderbolt Display, two separate displays that may look similar but are not the same thing.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2013
It is possible the adapter is bad, only way to check it is to actually get a connection. I suspect you don't have another computer with a USB-C input to test.

Based on the reviews at Amazon, there seems to be several instances of bad adapters being shipped and others with obvious success. This comes down to manufacturing quality.

Since you are under warranty, I'd try calling Apple Support on the issue. I am beginning to suspect that these USB-C ports aren't quite the same as previous model Macs (hence Apple calling them USB-4). It's funny their documentations says Native DisplayPort output over USB-C... and yet, that doesn't seem to be the case.

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
I will most likely return the mini if I can't hook it up to my miniDP Cinema display
That is harsh.

You could use a DisplayLink hub but that is an expensive proposition. People have been using that to add displays beyond the 2-screens limit.

maczealot

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2006
I will try the adapter that macbird linked.

It's possible that I got a bad adapter. I tried it with a dell laptop and the monitor did not turn on at all

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I remember buying my ACD new with my mid2010 MBP and while the MacBook is long gone, I still have and use my display with a 2012 Mini. Sucks that the ACD isn’t supported and I do love it, many cheaper monitors today will provide a superior picture. There’s just something about these, the speakers, microphone, camera, hub that makes them great. The convenience factor is a plus

rj7766

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2011
there may be confusion here? A Tb2 to TB3 adapter would only work if you had 27 in Thunderbolt display.
The 27 in thunderbolt display has a magsafe power and a thunderbolt 2 end (looks like mini displayport)
The 27in cinema display has same two cables and a usb cable. Big difference here minidisplay cable only does video and is not thunderbolt. Same as how thunderbolt 3 and usb 2 are same connector. Thunderbolt cable/ports usually have the extra lightning bolt symbol on them. As to why the mini display port to usb c does not work.... That i dont know. They should. I have had a lot of issues with minidisplay port adapters working with surface devices as well.

Reactions: Trippy Bear

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2013
I emailed UPTab about their adapter. Specifically asked if they had tested it on the M1 Macs. Their reply and I quote "Yes, our adapter is compatible with apple new M1 chip."

Linking adapter I asked about:
https://www.uptab.com/usb-c-to-mini-displayport-adapter-4k-60hz-silver/

I have someone with access to the 27" Apple Cinema LED Display (Mini DisplayPort version) who said they were willing to test out the display on their M1 Mac. Said they had a collection of adapters they could test. We'll see how things turn out. Keeping my fingers crossed that there is evidence of success.

maczealot

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2006
I am back with an update!

I am typing this on my new M1 mini :)

The adapter that Macbird linked, worked! (thanks, Macbird!)

I tried the first adapter that I purchased again and did not work (just wanted to rule out installing the Big Sur .1 update being the solution)

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
I am back with an update!

I am typing this on my new M1 mini :)

The adapter that Macbird linked, worked! (thanks, Macbird!)

I tried the first adapter that I purchased again and did not work (just wanted to rule out installing the Big Sur .1 update being the solution)
I'm glad to hear that this adapter works on the M1 Mac Mini!

maczealot

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2006
Coming from a mini with High Sierra, the fonts on Big Sur don't look as sharp.

Just waiting for the right time to pull the trigger on a 27" 5K display

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2013
I can confirm that the Mini DisplayPort Apple Cinema LED Displays do indeed work on the M1 Macs. This adapter has been confirmed to work:
https://www.uptab.com/usb-c-to-mini-displayport-adapter-4k-60hz-silver/

Others may also work.

Please note that there are two models of the 27" Apple Cinema LED Display, one is Mini DisplayPort, the other is Thunderbolt 2. Thunderbolt 2 and Mini DisplayPort look very similar but are not the same. Please be sure to check your display information to ensure which model you have. You cannot use a Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C adapter with the Mini DisplayPort display nor can you use a Mini-DisplayPort to USB-C adapter with the Thunderbolt 2 display.

thehighwaystar

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2018
Not wanting to get the wrong track on the subject nor get along unnecessary discussion but does it indicate an old 2012 Imac with MInidisplay port (with High Sierra) could act as a monitor ?
I see it as a must for those who wants a M1 Mini but not give away imacs or other Armless Macs
Great valuable info here.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
Coming from a mini with High Sierra, the fonts on Big Sur don't look as sharp.

Just waiting for the right time to pull the trigger on a 27" 5K display
They changed the font smoothing starting with Mojave, which is unfortunate, and especially noticeable on non-retina displays.

Amona Fe

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2020
I just got Mac Mini M1 and it didn't work with my 24 LED cinema, called Apple support they asked me to bring my display to the store so they can see what's up. Thich is barely an inconvenience... The sound worked thought but no image in the display. IT Means USB 2 is ok, Thunderport seems to be the main issue. I honestly have no clue what to do because this is my working display and you can't even trade it in, only recycle. FOR FREE. Sweet Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.