Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
I just got Mac Mini M1 and it didn't work with my 24 LED cinema, called Apple support they asked me to bring my display to the store so they can see what's up. Thich is barely an inconvenience... The sound worked thought but no image in the display. IT Means USB 2 is ok, Thunderport seems to be the main issue. I honestly have no clue what to do because this is my working display and you can't even trade it in, only recycle. FOR FREE. Sweet Apple.
What kind of adapter are you using for the Mini Display port? The 24'' Apple Cinema Display works fine with my 2017 MBP and this adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082KKJVGB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Devmer11

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2020
Pine Bluff, AR
I can confirm that the Mini DisplayPort Apple Cinema LED Displays do indeed work on the M1 Macs. This adapter has been confirmed to work:
https://www.uptab.com/usb-c-to-mini-displayport-adapter-4k-60hz-silver/

Others may also work.

Please note that there are two models of the 27" Apple Cinema LED Display, one is Mini DisplayPort, the other is Thunderbolt 2. Thunderbolt 2 and Mini DisplayPort look very similar but are not the same. Please be sure to check your display information to ensure which model you have. You cannot use a Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C adapter with the Mini DisplayPort display nor can you use a Mini-DisplayPort to USB-C adapter with the Thunderbolt 2 display.
Hello i would just like to confirm that this should also work with the 24 inch Apple Cinema Display mini display port on the M1 Mac Mini?

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
When I first got the Mini, I ran the Apple 24" Apple Cinema display on the M1 Mini using the Apple TB3-TB2 adapter perfectly fine. Even the built in sound speakers worked.

Then I switched over to my current: Apple 27" Thunderbolt display using the same Apple adapter plus a 4K for video watching purposes.

IMG_6679.jpg

Amona Fe

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2020
Anyone successfully connect an old 27" Apple LED Cinema Display (Mini DisplayPort model) to the new M1 Mac mini via a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort Adapter?

There is a post on the Apple forums about a 24" model working fine when connected to a 2019 MacBook Pro, but doesn't work when connected to the M1 Mac mini. In theory it should work, but Apple may be removing support for such displays on the newer hardware.

Any feedback welcome.
I don't know if it's still relevant, but to connect LED Cinema Display you need an adapter from Cinema Display (not a Thunderbolt, they look the same though) to Thunderbolt 3., male to female. Worked.

USBCele USB-C to Mini DisplayPort Adapter, USB Type C (Thunderbolt 3) to Mini DP 4K Cable Adapter for MacBook Pro, iMac/iMac Pro, LED Cinema Display and More [Advanced Chip]​

$15 on amazon.​

xabierot

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
I can confirm that the Mini DisplayPort Apple Cinema LED Displays do indeed work on the M1 Macs. This adapter has been confirmed to work:
https://www.uptab.com/usb-c-to-mini-displayport-adapter-4k-60hz-silver/

Others may also work.

Please note that there are two models of the 27" Apple Cinema LED Display, one is Mini DisplayPort, the other is Thunderbolt 2. Thunderbolt 2 and Mini DisplayPort look very similar but are not the same. Please be sure to check your display information to ensure which model you have. You cannot use a Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C adapter with the Mini DisplayPort display nor can you use a Mini-DisplayPort to USB-C adapter with the Thunderbolt 2 display.
A question: The iSight Cam, output audio and the USB ports on the Apple Cinema LED Display work all well with the adapter ?

Cal-boy

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2021
Has anyone successfully connected a M1 MacMini to a 2013 Apple 27 inch Thunderbolt 2 display? It doesn't work for me with a thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter. I connect the display to a thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 2 cable with a thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adaptor plugging into my mac Mini. My screen is black once I move my mouse. I have been going back and forth with Apple Engineers since mid December on this issue. Very Frustrating!!!!

Last edited:

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Has anyone successfully connected a M1 MacMini to a 2013 Apple 27 inch Thunderbolt 2 display? It doesn't work for me with a thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter. I connect the display to a thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 2 cable with a thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adaptor plugging into my mac Mini. My screen is black once I move my mouse. I have been going back and forth with Apple Engineers since mid December on this issue. Very Frustrating!!!!
No problem since day 1.

Are you using the Apple branded TB3-TB2 adapter ?

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 7.51.42 AM.png

My setup is the 27" TB desktop / main display using the above $49 adapter on the TB3 port of the M1 Mac Mini.

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 7.55.05 AM.png

Here's my M1 setup with the second display - direct HDMI connected 4K Samsung as an extended display:

IMG_6679.jpg

Cal-boy

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2021
Thank you 4sallypat for your reply. Yes I am using the Apple TB3 to TB2 adaptor you have described. The third picture attached shows the back of my 2013 27'' TB2 display with TB2 cable to Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter to my new M1 Mac Mini (16GB memory 256GB storage). I also have an Apple magic keyboard and track pad. The 2 second picture shows everything working before I touch the track pad (The trackpad causes the screen to turn black). The first picture shows the screen is black (except for the menu bar at the very top of the screen) the instant I touch the track pad. Any ideas what is going on here? I will return my M1 Mini if this doesn't resolve in a couple days.

Attachments

• IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    379.8 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_0425.JPG
    IMG_0425.JPG
    357.2 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0423.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    340.6 KB · Views: 1,499

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
Thank you 4sallypat for your reply. Yes I am using the Apple TB3 to TB2 adaptor you have described. The third picture attached shows the back of my 2013 27'' TB2 display with TB2 cable to Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter to my new M1 Mac Mini (16GB memory 256GB storage). I also have an Apple magic keyboard and track pad. The 2 second picture shows everything working before I touch the track pad (The trackpad causes the screen to turn black). The first picture shows the screen is black (except for the menu bar at the very top of the screen) the instant I touch the track pad. Any ideas what is going on here? I will return my M1 Mini if this doesn't resolve in a couple days.

Does it also happen if you try to use the trackpad while in diagnostics mode? If it works there then it would pinpoint towards a software issue rather than hardware.

sbanks

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2021
Yes, those work with the adapter I'm using.
Curious how you're connecting the Cinema Display USB to the Mac M1? I have M1 Macbook Air with 27" Cinema Display (Mini DisplayPort). I'm using the Uptab adapter, which is working for the display, but unable to use isight camera.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2013
Curious how you're connecting the Cinema Display USB to the Mac M1? I have M1 Macbook Air with 27" Cinema Display (Mini DisplayPort). I'm using the Uptab adapter, which is working for the display, but unable to use isight camera.
You will need to use a USB to USB-C adapter to connect the USB cable to the M1 Air. Both cables need to be connected to the M1 (Mini DisplayPort and USB ... so that means two adapters are needed as well).

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
I use the 24'' Cinema Display with a 2017 MBP running Big Sur, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

Reactions: sbanks

sbanks

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2021
You will need to use a USB to USB-C adapter to connect the USB cable to the M1 Air. Both cables need to be connected to the M1 (Mini DisplayPort and USB ... so that means two adapters are needed as well).
Ah, that's what I figured. So many adapters! But cheaper than a new display! Thanks.

Cal-boy

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2021
Update: I returned my M1 Mac Mini after not being able to resolve with engineers how to make work with 2013 thunderbolt 2 display. I hope they can resolve the issue. It was a real pain.

cat blanket

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2021
I am pleased to report that my new Mac mini M1 perfectly works with 27 inch Apple Cinema Display LED (with Mini Display Port cable) using the adapter of Minidisplay (female) and thunderbolt 3 (male). At first, I bought the adapter of thunderbolt 2 to 3, which did not work. I called Apple support, but they could not find the solution (I told them the serial no of my display and what type of adopter I got, though...). Then, I read the posts here and realised that I got a wrong adopter . I purchased an adapter for MiniDisplay cable, and it worked! While waiting for the MiniDisplay adapter, I was using my TV connecting HDMI cable. But to be honest, I liked the TV version, too, or more, as it was amazing to use M1 with a massive display. Due to the sound quality, I am using Cinema Display now.

Reactions: MacBird

understudyhero

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
The Cinema Display 27" Thunderbolt monitor works fine with my M1 Mac mini using the apple TB2->3 connector. It will even work as the first or second device in a chain (Currently I go Mac mini -> tb2/3 adaptor -> 10gbe adaptor in a breakout box -> cinema display.

jperih

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
My update on m1 MacBook Air and Apple Cinema Display HD 30”:

Works! But with caveats:
- I had to also use the Apple DVI to Mini DisplayPort adapter (already had it for use with my MacBook Pro Mid 2015)
- from the Mini DisplayPort adapter, used the cable that @MacBird suggested, and a USB-A to USB-C adapter for the USB2 connector
- only got a crisp 1280x800 resolution, even though I got full resolution (2560x1600) while on the MacBook Pro.

So... not entirely useless, but I’m thinking an HDMI adapter and a different monitor may be in my near future.

malieckal

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2019
Boston, Massachusetts
I bought this Club3D adapter, and was able to get the old 30" ACD to work perfectly:

Unfortunately, when I plug in a HDMI cable for the second display to a video monitor, the mouse starts spazzing . . .

But at least I can work with one monitor for now. Anyone else getting mouse stutter when a HDMI port is in use?

theMotoMan

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2020
I have successfully connected my M1 Mac Mini to my 27" Thunderbolt display, using the Apple TB3->TB2 adapter. Now I am wondering if I can connect a 27" Apple Cinema Display (non TB version) to the HDMI port with an HDMI to DisplayPort Adapter. I found one on Amazon:

I reckon I will also need a DisplayPort male to Mini DisplayPort female adapter to get the job done.

Anyone doing this?

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Now I am wondering if I can connect a 27" Apple Cinema Display (non TB version) to the HDMI port with an HDMI to DisplayPort Adapter.
Why not use another Thunderbolt/USB-C port with a simple male USB-C to female MiniDisplayPort adapter? Cheaper and less troublesome.

theMotoMan

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2020
Why not use another Thunderbolt/USB-C port with a simple male USB-C to female MiniDisplayPort adapter? Cheaper and less troublesome.
Because you can only have *one* display connected to the Thunderbolt ports on the M1s. Apple has limited this for some reason. I actually have another DisplayPort monitor and have connected it via USB-C to the second TB port and it is a no go. It works by itself though. I believe the only way to get it done is one connected to the HDMI and one via the TB port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.