Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
I have successfully connected my M1 Mac Mini to my 27" Thunderbolt display, using the Apple TB3->TB2 adapter. Now I am wondering if I can connect a 27" Apple Cinema Display (non TB version) to the HDMI port with an HDMI to DisplayPort Adapter. I found one on Amazon:

I reckon I will also need a DisplayPort male to Mini DisplayPort female adapter to get the job done.

Anyone doing this?

That's my setup as well, i am using a CableMatters HDMI > DisplayPort and a C2G DisplayPort > Mini DisplayPort, works great.

Reactions: theMotoMan

Paulus_2

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2023
Netherlands
I bought this USB-C to mini Displayport adapter. The Led cinema display 27-inch worked quite well on my Mac mini M1 2020. Ventura is the macOS.
There is one failure. The brightness slider is gone. I don't know if it is a Ventura bug or a hardware problem. The thing is that a third party Lunar app does the job now. So it is not a hardware issue. But a software problem in Ventura. I hope Apple fix, this because with a new version of macOS this Lunar app must be updated too.

MikeC2

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2023
I bought this USB-C to mini Displayport adapter. The Led cinema display 27-inch worked quite well on my Mac mini M1 2020. Ventura is the macOS.
There is one failure. The brightness slider is gone. I don't know if it is a Ventura bug or a hardware problem. The thing is that a third party Lunar app does the job now. So it is not a hardware issue. But a software problem in Ventura. I hope Apple fix, this because with a new version of macOS this Lunar app must be updated too.
I have a similar setup - M1 Ventura Mac with 2012 vintage 27" Cinema Display - ended up paying for Lunar - looks great now. Seems like display is considered obsolete so unlikely to be a software fix

Paulus_2

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2023
Netherlands
Hi MikeC2
I contacted Apple Supoort. They suggested that 27” Led Cinema was probably recognised by macOS as absolute.
But they suggested a free tool in the AppStore for managing brightness

Reactions: MikeC2

Colleen R Kitchen

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2020
Anyone successfully connect an old 27" Apple LED Cinema Display (Mini DisplayPort model) to the new M1 Mac mini via a USB-C to Mini DisplayPort Adapter?

There is a post on the Apple forums about a 24" model working fine when connected to a 2019 MacBook Pro, but doesn't work when connected to the M1 Mac mini. In theory it should work, but Apple may be removing support for such displays on the newer hardware.

Any feedback welcome.
I am COMPLETELY confused by all this, but I, too would like my old 2002 Cinema HD Display Model # M8536 to work with my M1 Macbook. I had to buy a very large very expensive adapter for this in the oughts so it would work with the (then) newer Macs of those days. It worked fine up until the M1. I bought yet another adapter to the adapter but it doesn't work. And there is some confusion about whether you have Thunderbolt 2 or Three or something else that looks just like it. and how do you know what you even have if there are interfaces that look the same. I don't know what I have. How would I know. Can I bypass the large old adapter and just hook something DIRECTLY? Has anyone provided a schematic? Because it sounds like we are talking about a family of devices here, that all have different needs.

MikeC2

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2023
I am COMPLETELY confused by all this, but I, too would like my old 2002 Cinema HD Display Model # M8536 to work with my M1 Macbook. I had to buy a very large very expensive adapter for this in the oughts so it would work with the (then) newer Macs of those days. It worked fine up until the M1. I bought yet another adapter to the adapter but it doesn't work. And there is some confusion about whether you have Thunderbolt 2 or Three or something else that looks just like it. and how do you know what you even have if there are interfaces that look the same. I don't know what I have. How would I know. Can I bypass the large old adapter and just hook something DIRECTLY? Has anyone provided a schematic? Because it sounds like we are talking about a family of devices here, that all have different needs.
I think my display is a bit newer (2012) works fine with a generic adaptor. Ended up buying some software to control monitor settings (Lunar) works great.

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
Do you mean that model?

Wow, that's cool. It looks like it requires DVI (or ADC). Can you share a picture of your adaptors?

RGB-Scart

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2022
Some observations of mine regarding the connection of a 27" Cinema Display (MiniDP, USB & Magsafe 1 cable) to a Macbook Pro 14" M2 Pro:

1. If I connect the MiniDP (using this Adapter) and the USB Cable (using this USB-C dongle) the display sometimes connects, but more often than not it won't and stays black. The Display preferences will recognize the display for a moment but it disappears/appears and so on.

2. The display is recognized after many connections and disconnections, but loses connection after a sleep cycle.

3. The display always connects (and stays connected after sleep) if I connect my old Macbook Pro 13" 2015 to the Magsafe 1 cable (via a Magsafe 1 to 2 adapter).

My conclusion: the Cinema Display has to provide power to "know" that it needs to display an incoming signal. I then tried to use a Magsafe to USB-C adapter to force this behavior, but the adapter did not work. It is maybe a faulty one because the Magsafe LED did not turn on.

What are my options? I sold my old Macbook so I can't use this workaround now.

Thanks in advance!

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
You can't really bypass the ADC to DVI adapter, it's necessary to power the monitor. People have made their own adapters (e.g., https://lookanotherblog.com/diy-adc-adapter/) but they are basically unpicking the existing DVI bits from ADC. Converting to DisplayPort used by USB C would be an extra challenge. Did your previous Macs all have DVI? I did have my ADC Cinema Display working by USB C on a 2018 MBP through USB C with an adapter and it still works that way with my current PCs.

How are you trying to hook it up now? ADC to DVI to USB C?

Mactalent

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2005
I just bought an M2 Mac Mini. I have the

Apple Thunderbolt Display 27-Inch - MC914LL/A - A1407​

I contacted Uptab about their
https://www.amazon.com/UPTab-USB-C-...3765&sprefix=uptab+thunderbolt,aps,116&sr=8-3

UPTab USB C to Mini DisplayPort Adapter​

They responded in less than 24 hours, and told me it would NOT work with my display, and to buy the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor. I did so and the Apple adaptor worked! It's $49, a lot more than the others, but it lets me use my beautiful display, with its camera, microphone, and speakers. The $49 adaptor cost is a lot less than I'd pay for a camera, microphone, and speakers!

Reactions: 4sallypat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.