Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacOSXRumors cites anonymous sources who claim that Apple is planning to introduce a new iPod shuffle with 2GB of storage and display. Meanwhile the 1GB iPod shuffle would remain without display.

According to the rumor site, the display would be a 3inch by .7inch grayscale LCD with backlight. Pricing would come in at $149 (2GB) and $99 (1GB).

No word on the fate of the 512MB iPod shuffle, but based on price points would likely no longer be offered.

MacBarry

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2005
Good Idea

This would cement Apple's lead in the Flash market, which they already dominate. If it is true, and if it can be done, it is a no-brainer for apple.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
t'would be quite nice, certainly makes the Shuffle more appealing to me.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Great addition to the iPod line.

I don't believe the price though. But I do hope it is correct.

ant_s

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Derby, UK
Of course, we have to consider that customers with an iPod shuffle may want to upgrade. This can only be a good thing for Apple, since they will get repeated custom as well as new users, maintaining that market share.

Good one.

Whilst some people are beginning to think that the iPod product line is getting complex, just look at the Sony Walkman - even back in its early days. Eventually Apple will have enough iPod products out there that a consumer can just go in with a budget in mind, and know that they all do roughly the same thing, all on a common platform, with room to grow in the future. I see no need in discontinuing the 512Mb Shuffle, even if it only means a price drop of $10.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Given you can now get 1GB usb drives for about half which Apple charge for the Shuffle (Downunder that is) I think it would be an aggresive marketing effort on their part but worth it to keep market share climbing.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
ant_s said:
...I see no need in discontinuing the 512Mb Shuffle, even if it only means a price drop of $10.

[Looks at 3-week-old 512MB iPod Shuffle and sighs.]
Oh, well...I got a $10 discount on mine anyway.

Doesn't the whole point behind the moniker shuffle revolve around the idea that it doesn't have a screen?

Squire

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
SuperChuck said:
Not gonna happen. There may be a 2 GB in the works, but there's no way they'll add a screen.

Why? Because you work at Apple? You know how they think? :rolleyes:
The simple fact is the shuffle is a gimmick to avoid a screen. It’s like a car salesman who is selling a car riddled with bullet holes is selling it with the pitch that they are speed holes. They make your car better, stronger, faster.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
Poff said:
For 2GB, a screen would become a neccesity.

..on the other hand, macosxrumors track record is bad... baaad!

Thanks I was wondering how their record was.

I'm gonna be getting a shuffle soon (see sig)

and it would be nice to get 1GB for the same price.

But I'm not waiting.

artistry

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
Brighton, UK
SiliconAddict said:
Why? Because you know work at Apple? You know how they think? :rolleyes:
The simple fact is the shuffle is a gimmick to avoid a screen. It’s like a car salesman who is selling a car riddled with bullet holes is selling it with the pitch that they are speed holes. They make your car better, stronger, faster.

I've never missed the fact the Shuffle has no screen.
You have to accept that what is a disadvantage to you is either not a problem or an advantage to others. So the Shuffle's aimed at people like me, not people like you, for whom other options exist.

It's not a gimmick to me - I've never enjoyed listening to music so much.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
artistry said:
You have to accept that what is a disadvantage to you is either not a problem or an advantage to others. So the Shuffle's aimed at people like me, not people like you, for whom other options exist.

i totally agree; i have a shuffle and a regular ipod, and in complete honesty, i use the shuffle more.

ihate having to walk down the street and pull out the whole ipod just to switch songs. with the shuffle i just put my hand in my pocket, feel around for the buttons and switch songs. this is especially useful in a day and age where you cant really take your ipod out anywhere without people looking at you / following you.

as i've said before, i think apple is complicating the ipod line. if you want to have shuffle with a screen, call it something else.it's amazing how confused people get when they see 10 different ipod models in their face.

in terms of this rumour, i dunno..since when do we believe anything that comes from macosxrumors? aren't they *the most* unreliable rumor site?

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
artistry said:

Even if they add a screen I don't expect you'll be forced to look at it.
;) I expect plenty of people would like a small flash based player that supports more than just a single playlist.

When the Shuffle was introduced, I recall SJ saying they'd considered a screen but could not get a readable/usable one into that device. This suggests that they would add a screen one day when they could overcome that particular hurdle.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Loge said:
Even if they add a screen I don't expect you'll be forced to look at it.
;) I expect plenty of people would like a small flash based player that supports more than just a single playlist.

When the Shuffle was introduced, I recall SJ saying they'd considered a screen but could not get a readable/usable one into that device. This suggests that they would add a screen one day when they could overcome that particular hurdle.

Yep, that's exactly what I thought when I saw "2GB iPod shuffle with screen". Multiple playlists, the LCD is only used to select the playlist (and could also display the track names when playing).

If the hardware can do it, they should add playlists to the regular iPod shuffle too (you change playlist by pressing play/pause together with the previous/next button).

sandau

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2005
i use the 1gb shuffle and i've never listened to more music in my life. it's the perfect size for a day trip (every day is a trip) and with a clip it hooks on my shirt and is completely weightless and no dangling wires since the shuffle is right by my neck.

i can count on my hands the number of times i wish i had a screen to see the current song so that's not an issue. however if Apple comes out with one with a screen and a larger capacity (and same size/format/weight), I'll buy it.

I couldn't imagine lugging around Mini or full size iPod...too big and unnecessary. Unless of course it came with an Video H.264 Airport Express attachment which plugged into the iPod so I could watch movies by connecting it to any TV...

hopefully the new iPod lineup will come with in ear buds like sony makes (with the rubber insert). That would be very nice.

aldo

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
England, UK
ant_s said:
Of course, we have to consider that customers with an iPod shuffle may want to upgrade. This can only be a good thing for Apple, since they will get repeated custom as well as new users, maintaining that market share.

Good one.

Whilst some people are beginning to think that the iPod product line is getting complex, just look at the Sony Walkman - even back in its early days. Eventually Apple will have enough iPod products out there that a consumer can just go in with a budget in mind, and know that they all do roughly the same thing, all on a common platform, with room to grow in the future. I see no need in discontinuing the 512Mb Shuffle, even if it only means a price drop of $10.

Because the supply chains that Apple has are extremely long and complicated, and keeping a product that doesn't sell at all (who is not going to pay $10 more for twice the space?) is going to cost a hell of a lot over the long run.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The lack of a screen saves cost, size, weight. It's not a gimmick, and Apple doesn't pretend it's better than having a screen. They do claim, rightly, that it's a highly usable product without one. (And a product in the same price range and similar size to thumbdrives that are NOT music players.)

I personally demand a screen, even though I seldom look at it and always use shuffle mode anyway. But then, I wasn't shopping for sub-$150 players, and didn't need the ultimate in light weight. In addition, a really SMALL screen is not as usable as an iPod/iPod Mini. It could be done right, maybe, but it wouldn't be the same.

I'm sure flash iPods will move up the line as prices fall, but I'd expect them to put 2 GB flash into an iPod Mini if anything, not into a Shuffle.

It would also surprise me if Apple produced YAFF (yet another form factor) in between the Shuffle and the Mini. I'd expect them to use those existing product lines.

For instance, maybe a thinner version of the Mini--or at least lighter. (And ideally, the last one without a color screen :D )

I also agree that the rumored pricing is too optimistic. Apple doesn't need to undercut the average player price by THAT much.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
asif786 said:
i totally agree; i have a shuffle and a regular ipod, and in complete honesty, i use the shuffle more.
I find the opposite, but each to their own :)
asif786 said:
ihate having to walk down the street and pull out the whole ipod just to switch songs. with the shuffle i just put my hand in my pocket, feel around for the buttons and switch songs. this is especially useful in a day and age where you cant really take your ipod out anywhere without people looking at you / following you.
I don't us the crappy tell-tale apple buds, and also keep the iPod in my pocket. I often use the "Shuffle Songs" option, which essentially turns my iPods into an iPod shuffle. I simply put my hand in my pocket, take the lock off, and use the clickwheel.
Lucky I bought the Shuffle mainly for data transfer/usb storage. It gets used for that a lot. Else I don't think I'd use it much.
Boy it sounds good though.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
James Philp said:
I find the opposite, but each to their own :)

I don't us the crappy tell-tale apple buds, and also keep the iPod in my pocket. I often use the "Shuffle Songs" option, which essentially turns my iPods into an iPod shuffle. I simply put my hand in my pocket, take the lock off, and use the clickwheel.
Lucky I bought the Shuffle mainly for data transfer/usb storage. It gets used for that a lot. Else I don't think I'd use it much.
Boy it sounds good though.

i guess everyone has their own preference with regards to this - plus it kinda relates to how you listen to your music.

for me, i tend to like a particular song or two (i.e. right now it's a couple from the new black eyed peas album) and listen to them a *lot* over a short amount of time. then i get sick of it and move on.. so normally, just before i leave for a short journey, i'll take the top few on my 'recently played' playlist and just listen to them.

naturally when i'm going for a long journey it's more convenient to just use the regular ipod.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
SiliconAddict said:
Why? Because you work at Apple? You know how they think? :rolleyes:

So, what you are really saying is that Homer Simpson would love the shuffle :D

Speed Holes, eh?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I'm not buying another iPod until Apple implements HE-AAC support in iPods and iTunes...

Anyway, (assuming Apple implements what I'm waiting for) I'd be interested in a 2GB iPod Shuffle with a small screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.