Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebunton

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
Sydney
I think a screen is always a plus. I'm all for it.
The point of the shuffle isn't "no screen". I reckon that was just really clever marketing to justify its lack thereof.

pacman1201

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2005
Blue Tooth

I think a screen is great, but I think apple should create an mp3 player with blue tooth. That way you can listen to it without wires...that would be great.

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
pacman1201 said:
I think a screen is great, but I think apple should create an mp3 player with blue tooth. That way you can listen to it without wires...that would be great.
Good and bad idea there.

While it's true that having your ipod auto-update as soon as you walked into the room would be neat (or a pain in the rear, you decide), one of the advantages to plugging it in is that you can charge it while transferring.

Mike

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
asif786 said:
as i've said before, i think apple is complicating the ipod line. if you want to have shuffle with a screen, call it something else.it's amazing how confused people get when they see 10 different ipod models in their face.
Actually, i think Apple is working towards simplifying the iPod line. They just dropped 3 models in the last 6 months and adding more to the Shuffle line would not be in their best interest at this time. I personally can't see a 2gb Shuffle, esp. with a screen.

I could see them replacing the 4gb hard drive in the low end iPod Mini with 4gb of flash. Don't know how cost effective that would be, but the battery life would be incredible and could very well cement Apple's place with the DMP with the longest battery life. Plus, it would drop a bit of weight from the 4gb mini.

I have 2 iPods now (20gb 4G, 1gb shuffle) with 2 more coming for my daughter in law (4gb mini) and my daughter (20gb 4G w/ color display). I much prefer the shuffle when it comes to listening to music and not having to pull the device out to see what song it's going to play next (which is what I do with my 20gb iPod). Granted, my fiance uses the shuffle a lot (i may end up buying another one for myself) and she rarely syncs hers up to change the songs that I've put on it for her (via smart playlist).... maybe once every 2 weeks at minimum.

If Apple does indeed come out with a 2gb shuffle, then they must either have done their research or just simply trying to stay one step ahead of the other flash players on the market.

But I guess we'll see/hear what happens in two days.

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Brother Michael said:
Good and bad idea there.

While it's true that having your ipod auto-update as soon as you walked into the room would be neat (or a pain in the rear, you decide), one of the advantages to plugging it in is that you can charge it while transferring.

Mike

Bluetooth headphones would be even cooler (built-in).

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
ebunton said:
I think a screen is always a plus. I'm all for it.
The point of the shuffle isn't "no screen". I reckon that was just really clever marketing to justify its lack thereof.

Yes. The lack of a screen is the biggest thing wrong with the shuffle. If you don't need the screen then don't look at it. But trying to use the play in order mode without one is just a waste of time.

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
Bring it on. I use my 3g iPod in the cars mostly and my shuffle everywhere else. It's just too convient to carry around plus it makes a handy storage device for moving files around or cleaning an infected PC. I'm certainly up for more storage capacity or an LCD screen.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
mcarnes said:
It would be stupid to add a screen. That's the whole point of the shuffle. If you want a screen get a mini.

That's true. The entire idea behind the shuffle is to cut costs because of the lack of screen. Adding a screen makes it compete with the mini and would be fruitless.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
All the shuffle needs is a 1- or 2-line screen with song name/artist. Not a scroll wheel or all the complicated menus. That would satisfy me -- my difficulty is when I'm looking for a particular podcast. But it's not a huge deal for me. I just need to remember the order I put them on the shuffle -- and typically I'm only talking about 4 or 5 podcasts.

P.S. Shouldn't Apple's dictionary recognize "podcast"? I'm just saying...

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
why would apple add a screen to the shuffle? The ipod mini is very small and it isn't far off from the shuffles price. I say:

-keep the shuffle w/ out screen
-Add a new killer feature to it though, maybe it will have built in bluetooth, not for headphones, but to be used as a remote for your computer w/ built in bluetooth. Or as a bluetooth usb module, to allow computers without bluetooth to sync with bluetooth phone.
-the shuffle with a screen is basically going to be the moto phone
-so the 512 MB shuffle becomes the moto phone, the 1 GB and 2 GB slide down to fill in the 512 and 1 GB price slot.
-The shuffle will have an apple made screen that can be attached to the usb part for all those who want a screen so bad. Maybe $30 for the screen attachment that can be used with current models as well.

MichaelAdam

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2005
As a professional Dj and a music producer, I am an addict to the ipod line.
I have them all since the first one introduced.
I use them for my music library and I have to say that the three ipods have their personal use.
a. Ipod photo for living room and digital djing (as a sort of HD)
b. Mini ipod as a casual music library for traveling or demonstration to some of my clients.
c. The shuffle is my fav in many aspects. Light, very very cute, perfect for the gym, in my suit, anywhere anytime ! I use it to listen to the new music I have for the week and make my selection for my sets and various jobs I have.
The addition of a small screen and 2gb would make it the perfect tool for me. So I can load more music and also learn what the names of the tracks are.

Apple I need one thank you.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
SuperChuck said:
Not gonna happen. There may be a 2 GB in the works, but there's no way they'll add a screen.
Actually, I don't doubt that Apple will add a screen - Apple holds the majority of the flash market in the United States, however, in Japan the Sony flash player just surpassed the iPod Shuffle WRT market share. The Sony player includes an LCD screen similar to the one described in this rumor, so Apple has to keep up with the Jonses to compete.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
I am trying to choose between the new U2 ipod and the 1GB iPod Shuffle. i am leaning towards the U2 iPod, but the sheer size of it is annoying. I have about 600 songs on my current 3G iPod, and a 2GB shuffle would 480 songs (if true to 2x 1GB, 240) That would make me think more about the shuffles.

woot 1st post :D

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Poff said:
For 2GB, a screen would become a neccesity.

..on the other hand, macosxrumors track record is bad... baaad!

aren't you thinking of macosrumors? There was another thread recently where this was brought up, macosrumors = horrible, macosxrumors is . . . well, a rumor site, but they haven't been horrible.

donniedarko

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2004
Los Angeles
I was big into Mini disc- The Control modules had screens and were pretty descript in modes- I believe a form factor like that has to be achievable now since that was like 4-5 years ago-

senecaripple

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2005
ny
with click wheel would really enhance the shuffle!

and they would thus, be call the 2g shuffle. the next ipod update!

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
Macmaniac said:
MacOSXRumors has not been very reliable in the past, I would be very surprised to see a 2GB Shuffle with a screen. I can see Apple releasing a 2GB Shuffle, but I don't see it with a screen. Only a few more days till we find out.
lol... two months later, nothing has changed :p

doctor pangloss

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2004
Thailand
I bought my 1G shuffle because of it's simplicity. I use it more than my 40G Ipod. I wouldn't buy one with a display. I only put my favorite music on it and I already know what that is.
I got mine for $110.00. I think they would sell lot's of the 512's if they dropped the price to $50.00.

DrEasy

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2004
No display needed to support multiple playlists

I love my Shuffle but I still don't like the lack of support for multiple playlists. For future, bigger capacity, Shuffles to make any sense it will be necessary to provide it.

But there's no need for a screen, or anything fancy to do that! I still love the fact that I can navigate the Shuffle while keeping it in my pocket. All they need to add is either a "next playlist" button or just firmware change so that double clicking on the "forward" button does that.

Koree

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2004
Philadelphia
If they make a 2 gig shuffle, they should keep it without a screen, or if they add a screen, just call it something else. I personaly don't own a shuffle, but im considering just gettig one so i'll force myself to listen to music that gathers dust in my itunes library.

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
Re: price drop on Shuffle...

Personally, I think Apple should make the 512Mb shuffle $49 and then lower the price (again) of the 1Gb shuffle to $99. Make it a no-brainer to purchase one.

Then make a 4gb flash iPod Mini with a battery life of at least 30 hours.

Fourbin

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
I don't know if you guys have seen but Engadget has a hands-on preview of the Samsung YP-U1 which is basically a Shuffle with display. It looks really nice and I like the flip out USB dongle style on this better than the one with a cap on the Shuffle. Seeing this I'm sure Apple might include a Shuffle with display in the near future.

Samsung YP-U1 @ Engadget

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
DrEasy said:
I love my Shuffle but I still don't like the lack of support for multiple playlists. For future, bigger capacity, Shuffles to make any sense it will be necessary to provide it.

But there's no need for a screen, or anything fancy to do that! I still love the fact that I can navigate the Shuffle while keeping it in my pocket. All they need to add is either a "next playlist" button or just firmware change so that double clicking on the "forward" button does that.

Yes the main shortcoming of the Shuffle is its lack of support for multiple playlists, and this becomes worse as you increase the capacity. However I still think we will see a screen on them before long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.