Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Screen Distractions...

I used to use my 40GB 3G in my car, however I was spending more time looking at the screen than I was watching the road! So I put 215 of my favourite 4- and 5- star songs on my 1GB shuffle and tucked it away where I'll never need to see it. It starts when I start the car and away it goes. Great music, no distractions.

The shuffle concept is perfect as it is, screw the display screen!

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I guess this was the nano, lately, Page 2 rumors have been *somewhat* correct! :)

sorry for digging up an old thread!

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
ksz said:
I use my 1GB iPod shuffle *a lot* more frequently than my 30GB model. It's plugged into my ear even now and delivers better sound quality than any other iPod model.

Do I want a screen? NO.

Would it be nice to know what song, artist and album I'm listening to? YES.

How to solve this seemingly Catch 22 problem?

Simple: Use voice synthesis on iTunes to attach the song, artist and album names to each track when sending songs to the Shuffle. Use a delayed keypress (such as hold down play/pause for 2 seconds) to hear the song, artist and album names.

Images often include thumbnails; this is nothing more than spoken-thumbnails for songs.

a very interesting idea. I would like that on my shuffle.

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
ksz said:
Simple: Use voice synthesis on iTunes to attach the song, artist and album names to each track when sending songs to the Shuffle. Use a delayed keypress (such as hold down play/pause for 2 seconds) to hear the song, artist and album names.

I've suggested a similar idea to Apple using feedback in the past, so if you're looking for the feature as well, ask them.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I use my 1GB iPod shuffle *a lot* more frequently than my 30GB model. It's plugged into my ear even now and delivers better sound quality than any other iPod model.

Do I want a screen? NO.

Would it be nice to know what song, artist and album I'm listening to? YES.

How to solve this seemingly Catch 22 problem?

Images often include thumbnails; this is nothing more than spoken-thumbnails for songs.

One of the main benefits of a screen is for navigation- skipping to the song you want. Having voice synthesis wouldn't help any in that regard.

Your idea of integrating it with iTunes (so no separate voice synthesis hardware is required on the Shuffle) is pretty cool though.

I would be happy with some sort of delayed keypress to fast forward say 10 songs.

OCOTILLO

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2005
Houston, TX
Shuffle w/screen

madmaxmedia said:
One of the main benefits of a screen is for navigation- skipping to the song you want. Having voice synthesis wouldn't help any in that regard.

Your idea of integrating it with iTunes (so no separate voice synthesis hardware is required on the Shuffle) is pretty cool though.

I would be happy with some sort of delayed keypress to fast forward say 10 songs.
Apple has already offered a shuffle with a screen - it is called the Nano.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
SiliconAddict said:
Why? Because you work at Apple? You know how they think? :rolleyes:
The simple fact is the shuffle is a gimmick to avoid a screen. It’s like a car salesman who is selling a car riddled with bullet holes is selling it with the pitch that they are speed holes. They make your car better, stronger, faster.

Oh i completly agree. When announcing the shuffle, steve said "we discovered a new way people listen to their songs. they suffle it". umm...hasent the "random" option been around for 10 years now? Shuffle is just a fancy terms for random and the shuffle not having a screen is a gimick. Nobody at apple sat down and was like, well that audiance dosent want a screen because this is for people who just wanna run and have a limit amount of songs they wanna put on anyways.

no, they wanted a unit within the price range of $100-150 and if they added a screen, it would have been above that. not the bs that apple says

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
isnt it funny how these page 2 rumors turn out to be true, but way cooler than it sounded from a rumor spinner?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.