Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
"Report" from China says iphone 2017 will also include iris scanner. Apparently Apple's ordered iris capable chips for the 2017 iphone.

I'm quite excited. I've liked every rumor I've heard about this 10th anniversary iPhone. Bring it, Apple.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I will be really disappointed when the iPhone 7 keeps the same formfactor of the iPhone 6/6s. The thing is a surfboard at the moment. The bezels are just too big.
Indeed, if the 7 Plus had the same form factor as the Galaxy S7, I might consider it but in its present state it's totally impractical for me. I was also hoping this year they would be delivering a brand new look, but the 10 year anniversary has screwed people like me.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The upcoming mid-rangers are looking fantastic. The ones from Huawei, especially. The nova and nova plus both looking rather good.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...-nova-nova-plus-obvious-nexus-6p-inspiration/

Huawei unveils new metallic 5" nova and 5.5" nova plus with obvious Nexus 6P inspiration

ap_resize.php

nexus2cee_huawei-nova-3.png

nexus2cee_huawei-nova-1.png

Not liking that Huawei logo up front, but I guess they're taking a page out of the other established brands here and not taking any chances on litigation.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The upcoming mid-rangers are looking fantastic. The ones from Huawei, especially. The nova and nova plus both looking rather good.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...-nova-nova-plus-obvious-nexus-6p-inspiration/

Huawei unveils new metallic 5" nova and 5.5" nova plus with obvious Nexus 6P inspiration

ap_resize.php

nexus2cee_huawei-nova-3.png

nexus2cee_huawei-nova-1.png

Not liking that Huawei logo up front, but I guess they're taking a page out of the other established brands here and not taking any chances on litigation.
Tbh at €399 for the Nova, the Honor 8 is a better buy. Better dual camera, more ram, ir blaster, same price.

Last edited:
Reactions: epicrayban

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I think the piano black iphone color is a brilliant idea from Apple. It'll get people primed for an all new, all glass iphone in 2017.

And doesn't look bad either.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/iPho...new-Piano-Black-and-Dark-Black-shades_id85011

iPhone 7 Plus renders visualize new Piano Black and Dark Black shades
[doublepost=1473139170][/doublepost]Reports say Apple is ordering an increase in production of the iPhone 7. Coincidence that this is immediately after Samsung's recall? I bet not.

The iPhone was always going to do well, but Samsung really gave them a gift. They basically negated any head start they had. In fact, now they're in damage control and recovery mode. And Apple is poised to take advantage of this.

Samsung's response for this fiasco is great, but let's not pretend this isn't going to cost them in more ways than one. One report said it's costing them a billion USD to accomplish this recall. And what impact does this have on branding?

As for me, I'm thinking more long term; further ahead. Into 2017. Hopefully this is a lesson for Samsung. They've proven they can learn fast, so let's see if by the s8 release, they've gotten better at quality control and customer service.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr and MRU

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Honestly I can't even tell the phones coming out apart from each other. Most have pretty much the same specs, the same metal case etc. I'll probably wait until next year to see if those foldable phones turn up and stick to my Oneplus One in the meantime.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
In truth, it's going to be a good "S"-like upgrade:

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/9/5/12797204/ming-chi-kuo-iphone-7-rumors

• Five color options. The current rose gold, gold, and silver models will remain, but space gray will be replaced by a "dark black" option and a separate "piano black" model with a glossy finish. Kuo says that supply may be limited on the piano black iPhone, with Apple possibly restricting it to higher storage tiers at first.
  • Those storage tiers will get a boost, according to Kuo: the base model will jump to 32GB, as earlier reported byThe Wall Street Journal, and will be joined by 128GB and 256GB variants.
  • The iPhone 7 Plus will have 3GB of RAM, apparently to aid the performance of its dual-lens camera system, while the smaller 7 model will stay at 2GB.
  • The dual-lens camera system will be comprised of a wide-angle camera and a telephoto camera, both with 12-megapixel sensors. The combination is said to offer optical zoom-like functionality as well as "light field camera applications," which sounds like Lytro-style refocusing after the photo has been taken.
  • The phone will feature IPX7 water resistance on par with the Apple Watch, though it's not clear if Apple would advertise such a thing. The previously reported move away from a clicking home button is said to help with this.
  • No headphone jack, as you may or may not have come to terms with by now. Kuo says Apple will put EarPod headphones with a Lightning connector in the box alongside a Lightning to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter. As for what Apple will do with the space formerly occupied by the jack? It'll be taken up by a new sensor to improve the iPhone's 3D Touch experience.
  • Apple's new A10 processor could be clocked at up to 2.4 or 2.45GHz, a major jump over the A9's 1.85GHz, though power concerns could drive the final clock down a little. It will be manufactured by TSMC.
  • The device is said to have the same wider color gamut as seen in the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, which will work particularly well for photos taken with the new camera. It's not clear whether it will use the iPad Pro's True Tone technology, which matches the display's temperature to ambient light.
  • Speaking of True Tone, the camera's flash will have four LEDs — two warm, two cool.
  • The earpiece receiver will be a legitimate speaker in its own right, working with the regular speaker to provide stereo sound when the phone is held in landscape.
  • The proximity sensor will switch to laser technology.
  • FeliCa NFC support for the Japanese market

I still think it's a shame the smaller iphone will not get the biggest new feature.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I predict the iPhone 7 will pass this test. Like I've said before, I wouldn't bet against Apple. Especially now after Samsung handed them that gift of a fumble.

Today's iPhone event will be a test of trust for Apple
http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/7/12829394/apple-iphone-7-event-new-products-change-trust

Without the upward velocity of constantly growing iPhone sales, Apple’s new iPhone will have to validate its existence in a way that no previous iteration has had to do. Consumers are now better informed, more demanding, and more price-sensitive than ever, and Apple will have to give them some reason to desire a broadly unchanged device. Simply being the latest iPhone is no longer enough.

iPhone sales may have been slumping lately, but that’s not because the phone itself has become any less useful. It just hasn’t kept growing and improving the way that cheaper rivals have, and now Apple finds itself facing stiffer competition.

Pretty much as I've been saying for the better part of the past year around here.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I predict the iPhone 7 will pass this test. Like I've said before, I wouldn't bet against Apple. Especially now after Samsung handed them that gift of a fumble.

Today's iPhone event will be a test of trust for Apple
http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/7/12829394/apple-iphone-7-event-new-products-change-trust

Without the upward velocity of constantly growing iPhone sales, Apple’s new iPhone will have to validate its existence in a way that no previous iteration has had to do. Consumers are now better informed, more demanding, and more price-sensitive than ever, and Apple will have to give them some reason to desire a broadly unchanged device. Simply being the latest iPhone is no longer enough.

iPhone sales may have been slumping lately, but that’s not because the phone itself has become any less useful. It just hasn’t kept growing and improving the way that cheaper rivals have, and now Apple finds itself facing stiffer competition.

Pretty much as I've been saying for the better part of the past year around here.

Meh, they will still break sales records. I don't really feel like consumers are more demanding or really any smarter about smartphone purchases. I don't mean smart as intelligent, but more like savvy. That Apple branding is powerful enough to forgive the lack of updates. But then again there are some decent upgrades such as the camera, touch home button, water resistance. Oh god just writing that out I realize there aren't really that many upgrades.
[doublepost=1473262438][/doublepost]
I think the piano black iphone color is a brilliant idea from Apple. It'll get people primed for an all new, all glass iphone in 2017.

And doesn't look bad either.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/iPho...new-Piano-Black-and-Dark-Black-shades_id85011

iPhone 7 Plus renders visualize new Piano Black and Dark Black shades
[doublepost=1473139170][/doublepost]Reports say Apple is ordering an increase in production of the iPhone 7. Coincidence that this is immediately after Samsung's recall? I bet not.

The iPhone was always going to do well, but Samsung really gave them a gift. They basically negated any head start they had. In fact, now they're in damage control and recovery mode. And Apple is poised to take advantage of this.

Samsung's response for this fiasco is great, but let's not pretend this isn't going to cost them in more ways than one. One report said it's costing them a billion USD to accomplish this recall. And what impact does this have on branding?

As for me, I'm thinking more long term; further ahead. Into 2017. Hopefully this is a lesson for Samsung. They've proven they can learn fast, so let's see if by the s8 release, they've gotten better at quality control and customer service.

I'm interested in the piano black, but I wonder how much of a finger print magnet it may be. Some rumors around that it might be polycarbonate as well, hmm. It depends on how dark the new space grey is also, if they make it a very dark grey that might look awesome as well.

It's a shame that Samsung fumbled so badly, Apple will no doubt take the ball in for a touchdown. But you're right, it only makes me more anxious to see how these giants battle it out in 2017.
[doublepost=1473263518][/doublepost]I must say I'm a sucker for matte. IMO the matte one looks MUCH nicer than the piano one in this render. The only question will be if the matte one will really be that dark.

matte.JPG

Reactions: epicrayban

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Love love loving the camera on the 7 Plus...can't wait to get the black (non shiny) one in my hands....

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
They're really showing off the new black device. Again, I predict this is to set us up for an all glass (or will it be all ceramic????) iPhone in 2017.

With the new home button, camera, tweaked design, dual speakers, waterproofing... this is shaping up to be a very good S-like update.

A10 Fusion. Very nice. Performance and battery should be amazing.
[doublepost=1473273646][/doublepost]It's really a shame the regular size iPhone 7 does not get the dual camera features. This sucks for non-phablet people, because it doesn't seem like the ergonomics and size of the Plus has improved.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRU and jamezr

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
€1029

iPhone 7 plus 128gb

€1029

Let me repeat

€1029 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy moses .........

€889 for 7 128gb

Same price as Note 7

Reactions: Sensamic

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Kudos to Apple for getting rid of the 16GB starting point. But what happened to 64GB?
I don't need 128GB but need more than 32GB to be safe.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Kudos to Apple for getting rid of the 16GB starting point. But what happened to 64GB?
I don't need 128GB but need more than 32GB to be safe.
Yeah I would have been happier with 64gb and €100 less price wise. Seriously €900 & over €1k is just ridiculous.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Nothing really surprising...and nothing that will drive me to upgrade this year--a first for me since the iPhone 3G.

A few random thoughts/observations.

- the cross section of the iPhone they showed when discussing the Taptic Engine seemed to show it positioned right where the analog headphone port usually goes. I know Phil casually mentioned that space inside the phone is at a premium but why not speak specifically to it as a primary reason.

- dual camera looks nice but let's be honest, it's only a 2X optical zoom. The 10X zoom is nothing more than the digital zoom presently done with smartphones. Also, anyone else catch that the depth of focus or bokah functionality won't be arriving until a software update in October?

- the AirPods look fine...but are they using traditional Bluetooth or some other sort of connectivity? They seemed to imply something else---so that means they are proprietary to Apple devices. If so, greeeaaat. :rolleyes:

I have to admit I was hoping to come away from today's presentation impressed by something that would have me wanting to click a 'Preorder' button come Friday. Sadly (or fortunately ;)), looks like I won't be waking up at 3 AM on preorder day for the first time in many years.

Last edited:
Reactions: epicrayban and MRU

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The Verge impression of the new Home button :(

Another thing I tried: the new home button, which uses a "taptic engine" to give you physical feedback when you press it — it's pressure sensitive too, so it can tell if you really mean to press it or just tap it. And it's awful. On a MacBook trackpad, you get this uncanny feeling that you're actually hitting a button. On the iPhone, the whole bottom of the phone just sort of "kicks." It's not bad haptics like you remember, with weird vibration, it's just a new kind of bad haptics. It doesn't feel like a button at all. It's a bummer.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The Verge impression of the new Home button :(

Another thing I tried: the new home button, which uses a "taptic engine" to give you physical feedback when you press it — it's pressure sensitive too, so it can tell if you really mean to press it or just tap it. And it's awful. On a MacBook trackpad, you get this uncanny feeling that you're actually hitting a button. On the iPhone, the whole bottom of the phone just sort of "kicks." It's not bad haptics like you remember, with weird vibration, it's just a new kind of bad haptics. It doesn't feel like a button at all. It's a bummer.
That is strong language from the usually Apple friendly Verge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.