Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
That is strong language from the usually Apple friendly Verge.

They've been pretty fair lately, calling out Apple for a few things. But anyway, I hope this doesn't lead Samsung into some form of their own haptic feedback.

Samsung should just do like OnePlus or HTC and make it capacitive. That's it.

Reactions: MRU and jamezr

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I quite liked what I saw tonight with the iPhone.
Disappointed that the actual phone design has hardly changed in terms of screen / bezel ratio, as that is my biggest complaint with the iPhone currently.

It's definitely more of an 'S' upgrade as others have mentioned.

I like the way Apple devices just 'work' but I do find myself getting a little bored with them after a time.

I have the option (with this current Note 7 saga) to send the device back and start again with an iPhone, but I don't actually know if I want to do that, or stick with the new Note I will be able to get from the 19th.

Part of me is thinking about doing the iPhone refresh program where you pay monthly for the device and swap it out after 11 months when the new iPhone comes out.

I mean, will the dual camera of the Plus (which is the model I'd likely get) going to compare to Samsung's 7 series, or even my old Lumia 950? Lots of things to think about here. :confused:

Reactions: MRU

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
They've been pretty fair lately, calling out Apple for a few things. But anyway, I hope this doesn't lead Samsung into some form of their own haptic feedback.

Samsung should just do like OnePlus or HTC and make it capacitive. That's it.
Agree wholeheartedly.....go with what the OPO3 and M10 have

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The Verge impression of the new Home button :(

Another thing I tried: the new home button, which uses a "taptic engine" to give you physical feedback when you press it — it's pressure sensitive too, so it can tell if you really mean to press it or just tap it. And it's awful. On a MacBook trackpad, you get this uncanny feeling that you're actually hitting a button. On the iPhone, the whole bottom of the phone just sort of "kicks." It's not bad haptics like you remember, with weird vibration, it's just a new kind of bad haptics. It doesn't feel like a button at all. It's a bummer.

Likely a matter of opinion...watch the video in that linked article and Nilay Patel actually mentions it feels pretty cool. Will be interesting to see if there is a consensus opinion once reviews come out.
[doublepost=1473282874][/doublepost]
That is strong language from the usually Apple friendly Verge.

Yeah, that's pretty much ancient history. I regularly listen to their podcasts and they've been pretty critical of almost everything Apple has done since before the Apple Watch was released.

Reactions: MRU and jamezr

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Looks like I'll wait for 2017.

Same. Everything I'm hearing about the 2017 iPhone sounds far more exciting.

Now that the iPhone event is over (very solid S-like update, in my opinion), looking forward to the Google Pixel phones. I don't think they'll pull me away regardless. Like I've said in other threads, Samsung has really cornered the market for ergonomic phablets. No one else is able to accomplish the same footprint as they can. So if not the Pixel, then I'm happy to wait for the S8 in 2017.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Samsung has the best all-around device this year so far with Note 7 but still not good enough IMO.

Gear S3 Frontier is more interesting as it can replace the core functionalities of my phone when I go to the beach, trail running, etc. but only if it has Hangouts for calls and SMS.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Samsung has the best all-around device this year so far with Note 7 but still not good enough IMO.

Gear S3 Frontier is more interesting as it can replace the core functionalities of my phone when I go to the beach, trail running, etc. but only if it has Hangouts for calls and SMS.

Gear S3 Frontier looks VERY interesting to me.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Same. Everything I'm hearing about the 2017 iPhone sounds far more exciting.

Now that the iPhone event is over (very solid S-like update, in my opinion), looking forward to the Google Pixel phones. I don't think they'll pull me away regardless. Like I've said in other threads, Samsung has really cornered the market for ergonomic phablets. No one else is able to accomplish the same footprint as they can. So if not the Pixel, then I'm happy to wait for the S8 in 2017.

My feelings as well. However, IMO, this update seems even less incremental than last year's. The biggest changes are limited to the camera on the larger phone, omission of the only industry standard port Apple uses, and a shiny black finish. I'm not saying it's not a worthwhile device is you're upgrading from something 2-3 years old but doesn't strike me as worthwhile coming from last year's model...and I'm an early adopters of almost everything Apple. ;)

In fact, my son is due to get his first smartphone this year and my original thoughts were to hand down my 6S+ and get the 7+ but after today's presentation and some time thinking this afternoon, think I might just switch over to the 6P/Huawei Watch combo until next September and hand down my iPhone and Apple Watch (to my mom--the emergency call feature is perfect for my peace of mind for her). Not certain...likely will wait until Google reveals what they have up their sleeve as I'm quite intrigued by Google Home, Google Assistant, and Allo.

Update: And my credit card issuer finally today added compatibility with Android Pay..one of the obstacles to my switching over full time. Maybe it's a sign. ;)

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The Jet Black may show "micro abrasions" over time, warns Apple.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Do-y...may-show-fine-micro-abrasions-in-time_id85163

So does everyone believe the 2017 iPhone will be ceramic, not glass?
[doublepost=1473283956][/doublepost]
My feelings as well. However, IMO, this update seems even less incremental than last year's. The biggest changes are limited to the camera on the larger phone, omission of the only industry standard port Apple uses, and a shiny black finish. I'm not saying it's not a worthwhile device is you're upgrading from something 2-3 years old but doesn't strike me as worthwhile coming from last year's model...and I'm an early adopters of almost everything Apple. ;)

In fact, my son is due to get his first smartphone this year and my original thoughts were to hand down my 6S+ and get the 7+ but after today's presentation and some time thinking this afternoon, think I might just switch over to the 6P/Huawei Watch combo until next September and hand down my iPhone and Apple Watch (to my mom--the emergency call feature is perfect for my peace of mind for her). Not certain...likely will wait until Google reveals what they have up their sleeve as I'm quite intrigued by Google Home, Google Assistant, and Allo.

Weren't you initially okay with the newest camera feature being limited to the Plus model?

I still think it sucks big time that Apple does this. At least the regular model finally gets OIS.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The Jet Black may show "micro abrasions" over time, warns Apple.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Do-y...may-show-fine-micro-abrasions-in-time_id85163

So does everyone believe the 2017 iPhone will be ceramic, not glass?
[doublepost=1473283956][/doublepost]

Weren't you initially okay with the newest camera feature being limited to the Plus model?

I still think it sucks big time that Apple does this. At least the regular model finally gets OIS.

While I also would prefer to see it across the model line, I could understand reasons why it isn't. The sentiment of my previous post was more in line with the fact that there really weren't much as far as change from the 6s/6s+. I think there is certainly value there for those looking to upgrade from a 2-3 year old phone...just don't see it for myself, and my threshold is pretty damn low. :D;)

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
So weird that the full camera features of the Plus models dual camera won't be ready until a software release comes out sometime later this year.

Better than rushing it out of course but it just makes it that much harder to swallow the Plus price. Shrug.

Reactions: tbayrgs

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
MKBHD on the iPhone 7:

I'm not thrilled about the home button thing. A few impressions I've read say it just feels like the whole bottom part of the phone vibrates a little. And it doesn't quite have the same effect as the MacBook's new trackpad. Can the "Taptic" feedback be turned off?

Android devices usually come out of the box with "vibrate on press" turned on. Where the device will give a slight vibration feedback for pressing things on screen or even the capacitive navigation/app switcher buttons. I always turn these things off.

And I really hope Samsung doesn't try to mimic this "fake" physical home button. Just make it capacitive. Simple and clean.

Also keep in mind MKBHD gets the waterproofing wrong. I believe it's not recommended to shower with, etc. as he incorrectly says you can do.

Last edited:

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
That Apple logo looks tacky, I cant believe people dont complain about that

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Nothing is on my radar.

Yup, for the first time in years, no smartphones on my immediate radar either. The just announced iPhones offer no significantly compelling reason for me to upgrade from my 6s+ and based on leaks/rumors, I see pretty much the same scenario regarding the upcoming Pixel XL vs. my Nexus 6P.

The only other devices that I'm curious to see is Google Home and the rumored Google 'made' Android Wear smart watches.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yup, for the first time in years, no smartphones on my immediate radar either. The just announced iPhones offer no significantly compelling reason for me to upgrade from my 6s+ and based on leaks/rumors, I see pretty much the same scenario regarding the upcoming Pixel XL vs. my Nexus 6P.

The only other devices that I'm curious to see is Google Home and the rumored Google 'made' Android Wear smart watches.

I'm now in the same boat.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm now in the same boat.

Who are you and what have you done with MRU?

But joking aside, yeah, there's nothing very appealing for the remainder of the year. Frankly, I didn't think much was appealing post-S7 Edge. Only the Pixel phones remain to be seen. And Google's smartwatches will be interesting, too, for sure.

Otherwise, I have my sights set on the S8...

Reactions: Kiezpirat80 and MRU

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
That Apple logo looks tacky, I cant believe people dont complain about that
Are you kidding? That logo keeps many buying new ones. It is some sort of prestige thing or something. I seriously think they would lose sales if it weren't for that logo. Every case comes with a hole so the logo shows lol.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

I just don't pay attention to what's coming out anymore and I've never been interested in a smart watch. I've no use for them.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
MKBHD on the iPhone 7:

I'm not thrilled about the home button thing. A few impressions I've read say it just feels like the whole bottom part of the phone vibrates a little. And it doesn't quite have the same effect as the MacBook's new trackpad. Can the "Taptic" feedback be turned off?

Android devices usually come out of the box with "vibrate on press" turned on. Where the device will give a slight vibration feedback for pressing things on screen or even the capacitive navigation/app switcher buttons. I always turn these things off.

And I really hope Samsung doesn't try to mimic this "fake" physical home button. Just make it capacitive. Simple and clean.

Also keep in mind MKBHD gets the waterproofing wrong. I believe it's not recommended to shower with, etc. as he incorrectly says you can do.
Typical Apple fashion to charge a ridiculous $160 for those hideous wireless headphones. I much prefer the in ear type. If I was going to spend on those , I'd get these or something similar.
www.getkanoa.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.