Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
It now seems as if Microsoft’s day has just got far worse than that of Sony, as Microsoft has now publically admitted that not some but “ALL” of their Xbox 360 games consoles have a design defect which could lead to a terminal failure. However they still refuse to issue a recall.

Sony have been worrying about low sales of their Playstation 3, but I bet that that was all Microsoft had to worry about. Robbie Bach from Microsoft’s Xbox360 Division has refused to elaborate on the exact issue of the failure, but many believe that it is down to a dodgy thermal design management this leads to poor heat dissipation, what then happens is a component failure.

All of the 11.6 million Xbox 360’s which have been sold have this defect, but the strange thing is Microsoft has not issued a global recall. However they have extended the warranty on the consoles from one to three years.
source1
source2

That could end their console gaming division(if true)......ouch.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
As long as we get Halo 3, I could care less if anymore games or consoles come out after that :). I'm starting to get to the point in my life were I have many more important things to do on my free time (work around house, repairs on house, etc.) that I actually want/need to do. The 360 will probably be my last console, so if their game division ends (I doubt it will), I won't be devastated.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
How long have I been saying they need to redesign the thing....the console is not expelling heat correct now they admit that ALL consoles are suject to it.

Somethings I dont understand though.....why are trying to get out halo/simpsons consoles if they know the thing is flawed?

I don't think its a death kneel but it a very big blow to the gaming division....the things they will have to do to make up for it.

Bless

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Well, they are already transitioning LIVE to the PC(which is a larger user base anyways)
If they can get most/all Vista Gamers paying for live services they could stop selling consoles all together.

My prediction: In 3 years we will see a new console from them, or a retirement from the industry.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
I wouldn't mind a global recall. My 360 has been giving me the "Unreadable Disk" error message a lot lately and I don't think this problem is covered by their new 3-year extended warrenty.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
:mad: j/k

A global recall would crush even Microsoft(hopefully they won't get forced into one).
Which is probably why they are betting on the extended 3 year warranty - IMHO.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
A global recall would crush even Microsoft(hopefully they won't get forced into one).
Which is probably why they are betting on the extended 3 year warranty - IMHO.

Makes sense. A global recall is going to be a massive hit, in one fell swoop. Even if the heat issue didn't affect a given machine or wouldn't affect it until the machine was considered disposible, MS would take a hit.

With a three year warranty, they avoid the massive recall, press is minimized since warranty submissions don't attract as much attention as a recall, and if someone's machine conks out around the time they are releasing a new machine, the machine may just get tossed instead of replaced. And if your machine is over three years old, MS may just argue that you got enough use out of your machine anyway...

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
I've read that the problem is with the GPU, and more specifically, it's placement within the console.

Apparently the GPU is attached by 400 pieces of solder, and it only takes for one piece to get damaged to cause a catastrophic malfunction. Unfortunately, the GPU is placed directly under the DVD-ROM drive which means that it only has small a heatsink, and not the fan that it needs, to keep it from overheating.

Which is all a shame because I want to buy a Xbox360, but I won't until the innards are completely redesigned.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
That could end their console gaming division(if true)......ouch.

Ha...thats funny.

Who do you think we are dealing with? This isn't Sega..

Xbox 360 isn't going anywhere. Also I don't think the market should ever have only two companies.

W
My prediction: In 3 years we will see a new console from them, or a retirement from the industry.

Thats seems right....360 came out in 2005...its 2007, add 3 years, we're at 2010...5 year life span.

I'm not sure what would be weird about that?

But MS isn't leaving gaming...in the living room, not for a while. Not to mention MS should start making some money from 360 soon, they are 6B in the whole, but they are having profits now, right?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ exactly. M$ infront of your TV with Live is exactly where M$ want to be.

On the bright side the crapping out 360's are at least covered by warranty for 3 years. I cant begin to tell you the amount of crap ass ps2's where the laser has burned out that I've gont through. At least my 2 360's have worked perfectly since buying thems, and I rest assured knowing if they crap out I'll get a replacement - unlike Sony where I've had to buy again and again..

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Ha...thats funny.

Who do you think we are dealing with? This isn't Sega..

Xbox 360 isn't going anywhere. Also I don't think the market should ever have only two companies.

So what does Microsoft do if some Consumer Advocate company makes them re-call.....?
Rush another piece of shoddy hardware; go a few years with no sales(and more debt) to release and entirely new console(not shoddy), or exit the console industry and stick with PC gaming + LIVE?

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
So what does Microsoft do if some Consumer Advocate company makes them re-call.....?
Rush another piece of shoddy hardware; go a few years with no sales(and more debt) to release and entirely new console(not shoddy), or exit the console industry and stick with PC gaming + LIVE?

I don't think you honestly believe it will ever come to that....if it does MS will fight tooth and nail to say "Wait, most of our Xbox 360 are fine, and the other not working have a safe guard where they can get new, working consoles for free."

But, if it did, MS would most likely put the 65nm chips in the 360, do a little changing around the hardware inside, and start shiping replacement 360s. It wouldcost alot, but MS need the living room, its a huge market, and they want in on it.

I'll eat my hat, if MS leaves the hardware side of console gaming because of Xbox 360 hardware problems.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
MRU thats a brightside to you...okay then. It continues to crap out and you send it in and they push another faulty one right back at you....do that 12 times like one fella did and see if its a brightside.

MS should be on version 2 now and start rolling out those new 360 instead of bringing out themed faulty 360s. Just like how you haven't had a problem with yours(im sure you are not the only one) people haven't had this much stress with the last gen consoles.

MS did it right the 1st time with the first box but I don't know whats going on.

Bless

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I don't think you honestly believe it will ever come to that....

Your right, I am very skeptical - Only because I know how much power MS has.
They will fight tooth and nail to avoid such a catastrophe, but that doesn't make it any less possible.
(only less probable)

Anywho, a complete redesign would be most ideal scenario for the consumer, and less burdensome on MS pockets(than a complete recall).

It will be interesting to see how these events unfold(to say the least) :p

Maclarny

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
MN
My Xbox 360 died 1.5 months ago. Due to an address mix-up the box to send my console back in didn't show up for 3 weeks. My console arrived at their repair center a week later. After arriving, I called them a week later to check on its status. They said that the average turn around for the consoles was 6-10 business days. A week later, tonight, I called them again. The very courteous representative told me that the repair policy had changed since last I called. The turnaround for broken systems is now 4 weeks. He said I should call them back week form now. I better be receiving a fixed system that will last me.

I love my 360. I love the games it has/will have. I just want it to work.

XNine

macrumors 68040
I'll eat my hat, if MS leaves the hardware side of console gaming because of Xbox 360 hardware problems.

If it DOES happen, then I'm holding you to that. I've never seen anyone eat their hat before and that would be awesome.

I'm on my 3rd 360. It's worked fine since what? March of last year? *thinks* Yeah, something like that. Though every now and then it gives em the "Disc Read Error" (did you know they have three different, varying screens for this ONE problem?!) and I just eject real quick and before it comes out all the way I pop it back in.

I don't think this would kill MS if they did a recall. I mean, they've never made a dime off of their hardware sales. LIVE and games is where they make up for it. Plus, they're a multi-billion dollar company, so i really don't think they'd ever have to worry about it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
MRU thats a brightside to you...okay then. It continues to crap out and you send it in and they push another faulty one right back at you....do that 12 times like one fella did and see if its a brightside.

That's the benefit of having two - I'll never go without ;):D

Not really a brightside I guess, but I was just making the point that at least they offer 3 year warranty, unlike my ps2's which all lasted about 12 months at the most before dieing on me, and then cost me to replace.

However if my 360 had gone through that many repairs / replacements I would certainly be peeved.

Anyway if they do redesign, it had better be god damn better than crappy elite, and alien version they were showing off. But I'm not a betting man, so I wont be holding my breath.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Still oh-so glad I got a 360 for free. If I paid for one and read this I'd be a bit annoyed myself!

What a load of crap this is. MS have pulled some good moves this gen but the hardware side is justthe biggest fiasco since Betamax and the Minidisc.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Y'know, I've had my console for over a year, and it's never come close to overheating.

Maybe people could also give their consoles room to breathe and they'd be fine. Is that so hard? :p

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Okay, this makes four sites I've seen this 'news' on, but none have been reputable. If this story was true, don't you think the big dogs would be all over it? CNN? BBC? MSNBC? Any gaming sites? Don't believe it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Okay, this makes four sites I've seen this 'news' on, but none have been reputable. If this story was true, don't you think the big dogs would be all over it? CNN? BBC? MSNBC? Any gaming sites? Don't believe it.

Yeah this seems to be the case. I've been looking on all the big - reputable sites for some evidence and comments on this and have come up empty.

Surely if this was true the internet would be awash with information, and yet here we are, with an unnoficial announcment on a blog site. No reputable sites are carrying this story.

I know this is MacRumors but maybe we should change it to M$Rumors ;):)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.