Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I bet if they went from using aluminum heatsinks to a copper one with closer fins and a heatpipe or two, then some more behind the DVD-ROM drive, it'd be fine.

Copper is much better than aluminum.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
no, it doesn't

expected...

If you lived in a third world country and you found copper and sold it, you would be able to feed your family for quite a few days. Of course to you, it isnt expensive because we all live in the comforts of a superpower or western state, but those who unfortunately who arent, who cant even see this forum, begs to differ.

Here is a nice chart for you to see how expensive it really is :) Click Here

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
EB Games Australia has issued a recall for their Xbox 360s! :eek:

Click Here

But its not because of the internal hardware. It is actually because of the HDD that came with the system on the Premium packages. So the cores werent recalled. :D

I wonder what was wrong with the HDD that came with it though...

Maclarny

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
MN
Y'know, I've had my console for over a year, and it's never come close to overheating.

Maybe people could also give their consoles room to breathe and they'd be fine. Is that so hard? :p

That's just it, I did everything right. The console has laid down horizontally, away from heat sources on a flat surface. The room was kept cool. It, just, died.

The 3 year warranty extension, though not in name, is, in effect, a de-facto recall. Microsoft is taking a ~1.1 billion pre-tax charge which averages out to about $100 per console out on the market (11.6 million) or roughly the cost to have the console shipped to a repair center and replaced. They know their console will die within 3 years of purchase.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's nice to know that Microsoft can not only built crappy software but also hardware! :D

Actually, in this case it's probably quite a good thing. If your 360 breaks MS will send you a new unit. If your Wii breaks or even if your DS has a single dead pixel, Nintendo will ship you a new unit.
It's quite comforting to know this and does make me feel safer as a consumer.
I wish Sony would have such a policy. Can we say faulty PS1/2 laser and PSP dead pixels? :D

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Interesting that M$ sold a load of shares a month before announcing the defect. At least they had the heart to stop producing units while they obviously new about the defect....

...oh no, wait.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Interesting that M$ sold a load of shares a month before announcing the defect. At least they had the heart to stop producing units while they obviously new about the defect....

...oh no, wait.

Tell the story properly...

It is actually a Microsoft public relation person who has been working with the company for 18 years that sold his stock. After being with the company for 18 years, he probably is readying for retirement... thats why...

XNine

macrumors 68040
Actually, in this case it's probably quite a good thing. If your 360 breaks MS will send you a new unit. If your Wii breaks or even if your DS has a single dead pixel, Nintendo will ship you a new unit.
It's quite comforting to know this and does make me feel safer as a consumer.
I wish Sony would have such a policy. Can we say faulty PS1/2 laser and PSP dead pixels? :D

Yeah, I'm on my third 360, but it's been good since March 06. I'm actually thinking about selling it in favor of a PS3, just because most titles will be multi-platform and there isn't anything but the DOA series on the 360 that I care about.

I have a PS and a PS2, still working just fine. Though I'll be turning the PS into an ash tray. I know tons of people who still do. Though I know the lasers were a "large" issue, it evidently isn't so large that a lot of people have their original hardware.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Yeah, I'm on my third 360, but it's been good since March 06. I'm actually thinking about selling it in favor of a PS3, just because most titles will be multi-platform and there isn't anything but the DOA series on the 360 that I care about.

I have a PS and a PS2, still working just fine. Though I'll be turning the PS into an ash tray. I know tons of people who still do. Though I know the lasers were a "large" issue, it evidently isn't so large that a lot of people have their original hardware.

Nice FLCL avatar.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
actually MS sends you a refurb... nothing new about that...

No they don't; not anymore.

They repair your console and ship it back.

They started doing this a few months ago, and I can attest to this fact because they did indeed ship my original system back after the repair.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
No they don't; not anymore.

They repair your console and ship it back.

They started doing this a few months ago, and I can attest to this fact because they did indeed ship my original system back after the repair.

They didn't do that for me....I got mine 1 month ago and they sent me a refurb...I'm not complaining though because I got one with a quieter HDD.

Bless

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I'm convinced mine scratches my CDs if I play a game too much. I nearly lost Viva Pinata because it was full of scratches after playing it for ages. Didn't move the console at all either :mad:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm convinced mine scratches my CDs if I play a game too much. I nearly lost Viva Pinata because it was full of scratches after playing it for ages. Didn't move the console at all either :mad:

I was told tht if you leave a game disk inside the machine when it turns on, the drive spins very fast at startup and that's often when the damage is done to a disc left in the drive.

Don't know whether that's true or not, but since I was told I never leave game discs in the machine.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Ours destroyed Saints Row, Gears of War and Oblivion (yey!) through scratching. This was on our new Feb 2007 unit too.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ none of my disks have ever been scratched in either of my 360's.

Jimmi you say your 360 is modded, are these 'backups' your 360 is playing ?

If so then I have read that a lot of people have killed their 360's laser with cheaply burnt dvd+dl discs. Eventually all they ever get from any disc they put into the machines is an ureadable error.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.