Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Nono, this was before I got my 360. Back on my brothers system. I don't have any "backup" games yet, my brother has all the major 360 games so I just use them.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Hmm... on another note, 360 Elites seem to be finally stocked (finally).

I checked at my Best Buy before, and pulled up all the inventory for a few different districts, and everyone had it.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
IMO from past experience -
the only company that makes flawless trouble free consoles is Nintendo. Their cartridge systems have survived floods + hurricanes. :D

(although bricked Wii's from system updates is now an issue)

Didn't have any problems with my original Xbox but my 360 did RoD around the 11th month. No worries though, it was repaired and shipped back at a $0 out of pocket cost to me. Other than being without the system for a week, I have no problems otherwise.

I also got hit by the faulty lens assembly Ps2 problem on my (near) launch Ps2 system. Initially I was told it would be a $150 repair until I complained to a Sony rep about reading online about this issue and was told "don't believe what you read on the internet, we'll repair it for free since you're a VALUED CUSTOMER". :rolleyes:

So far...no problems on my slim Ps2 though.

If I have a console problem and it's fixed for no charge, I won't complain too much since I have other consoles and other toys to play with. ;)

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Due to faulty DVD drives, not due to the REAL defect in the system.
(apparently they got a bad bunch drives)

and I still believe NES "Dre" was far worse than PS2 "dre"

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Due to faulty DVD drives, not due to the REAL defect in the system.
(apparently they got a bad bunch drives)

and I still believe NES "Dre" was far worse than PS2 "dre"

Oh please no, I worked at a PC repair shop for work experience many years ago, and I can tell you the amount of PS2s coming in for replacement lasers was outstanding. Outside of their networking sales the PS2 replacement service was their biggest profit maker. It was nowhere near as bad as PS1 replacements.

Eu PS2s were disgraceful. Every computer and game magazine had full page adverts offering "PS2 and Xbox chips, Xbox HDD upgrades and PS2 lasers".

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
That doesn't really compare to the number or NES consoles that wouldn't load a damn game to save someone's life. Power on , Power off, Eject game(blow on cartridge), Re-Insert game, Power on.....rinse and repeat anywhere from 1 to 100 times. Once you fixed the PS2 laser issues it would normally go away for 6 months to a year(if at all). Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to downplay the PS2 issue, as I knwo many who had it - but virtually everyone who ever owned a NES (at least everyone I knew) has had the "dre" issue at least once.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Mad, perhaps EU strikes again? I've acquired several NES's over the years, each one with stupid amounts of playtime attached. My original NES still functions fine. Now before you do the ol' rolleyes - my GB and GBA have needed the whole 'blowing' thing. Never the NES. I believe our NES carts were different shaped. Version 2 perhaps?

Megadrive or Master System never needed a 'blow' either.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
your saying you've NEVER had to do that with any NES in your entire NES gaming career? :rolleyes:
(sorry I had too)
You must not game very much on the NES or are very lucky my friend. ;) :p

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
None of my local friends had that problem either. Like I said - the GB was terrible for it. I have to do it to every one of my classic GB games now.

And, is it just me or have GB carts degraded? Some of my games now have messed up graphics and audio, they're only subtle and the game still works. Like the cart has become corrupted or something. My bundled Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt, despite being the oldest cart I own doesn't have any problems like that :confused:

I don't want to lose my GB games :(

coffey7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2006
I have used mine since 4 months after launch and have had zero problems. I remember back in the day with the ps2, when at the game stores we would joke that you needed to buy 2 of those because when one was in the shop you would have a spare.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
we would joke that you needed to buy 2 of those because when one was in the shop you would have a spare.

Quite honestly I never understood that because I bought it during launch and it NEVER broke on me. If I didnt drop from the stand last year it more than likely would still be working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.