Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

PapaLags2

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2019
United States
Google Podcasts
55D34F52-E6FE-4B25-8D66-38C848E48C18.jpeg

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Wrong again. My developer phone always is running beta, and about a week before each major release apps start getting released that do, indeed, have all their new features enabled.

About a week or two before the OS release, apple permits developers to submit apps that use the new OS. Developers can choose if they want to hold back the release, but otherwise they are released (subject to passing review) a few days before the OS release, and they work just fine on every device running the beta.

So exactly what I said...a few days before release for developers but not until the day of release for general public.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

mintbliss

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2015
Phoenix
I think I’m most looking forward to sports score widgets. I mean, it’ll also be great when there are sports....

Also looking forward to social media widgets. The only thing I see missing from Apples implementation of widgets is they should allow 1x2 widgets. The weather widget, for example, can only get as small as 2x2 which shows a lot of empty space.
agreed to that ?

Reactions: miamialley

kerr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
I probably need to play around with them to realise what works well as a widget.
I understand the available sizes are small (2Wx2H), medium (4Wx2H) and large (4Wx4H).
Hopefully with iOS 15, Apple will add 2Wx1H, 2Wx3H and 4Wx1H sizes.

Last edited:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I probably need to play around with them to realise what works well as a widget.
I understand the available sizes are small (2Wx2H), medium (4Wx2H) and large (4Wx4H).
Hopefully with iOS 15, Apple will add 2Wx1H, 2Wx3H and 4Wx1H sizes.

Why the new sizes? And not sure developers want the extra work.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Why the new sizes? And not sure developers want the extra work.

Given the way they work with swift UI, it’s pretty trivial code-wise to support different sizes. The developer can also determine which sizes to support. The main difficulty is simply the design work - figuring out what each size is good for, and what to display in each size.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Okay...but to be clear, they will not work on iOS 14 unless you have the final release installed (either developer release a few days before or on the day of release for the general public)...otherwise, it's just an iOS 13 app. No one has access to an iOS 14 app or benefits like new widgets for example unless they are on the beta...and even then, no more than 3-5 days typically before release...and that's still rare for most "popular" apps.
I think now you‘re just trying to argue for the sake of argue with how you backtrack on your statements. Just let it go.

OT: Would love to see widgets for these apps:
- WhatsApp (most recent conversations view)
- amazon (order status?)
- Apple Store (order status)
- Parcel (order status)

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I honestly don’t know. I’ve never seen widgets as useful- never used dashboard on Mac OS X (even though I set it up), never used windows gadgets in Windows Vista, and I rarely use the widgets in the today view on iOS.

It just seems easier to click open the app and look for what I need. They’ve always sounded like a“fancy” feature with no real use. I’ve never had an Android, but I almost got a HTC Hero back in the day & I doubt I’d use them on there either (I was almost sold on the open source, complete customisability of Android, but I just find it overwhelming and would rather just use tech that “just works”. And I don’t like Google’s business model).

Let’s see what the implementation is like in iOS 14, and if it encourages me to completely change my home screen layout (with app library etc).

I do find it odd that the app can still be on the home screen if you have a widget for it on there, it looks messy.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Are
From what I read, aren't these new widgets way worse than the old ones?
Are you referring to the widgets screen to the far left? The 1st party Apple widgets there are just as crappy as the new ones. I didn’t use them, and eventually found a slew of 3rd party widgets that have been useful. Hopefully the same will come true with the new home screen widgets.

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
None of them. Widgets were garbage to begin with on Mac OS and cancerous on lagdroid

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
Are

Are you referring to the widgets screen to the far left? The 1st party Apple widgets there are just as crappy as the new ones. I didn’t use them, and eventually found a slew of 3rd party widgets that have been useful. Hopefully the same will come true with the new home screen widgets.
Well, I read somewhere here you can't interact with them. Which makes them far worse, in my opinion. I have a calculator widget in my iPhone/iPad, so if I want to calculate something quickly, I just touch the screen and swipe to the right. Can't really do that anymore, can I?
[automerge]1593587023[/automerge]
I honestly don’t know. I’ve never seen widgets as useful- never used dashboard on Mac OS X (even though I set it up), never used windows gadgets in Windows Vista, and I rarely use the widgets in the today view on iOS.

It just seems easier to click open the app and look for what I need. They’ve always sounded like a“fancy” feature with no real use. I’ve never had an Android, but I almost got a HTC Hero back in the day & I doubt I’d use them on there either (I was almost sold on the open source, complete customisability of Android, but I just find it overwhelming and would rather just use tech that “just works”. And I don’t like Google’s business model).

Let’s see what the implementation is like in iOS 14, and if it encourages me to completely change my home screen layout (with app library etc).

I do find it odd that the app can still be on the home screen if you have a widget for it on there, it looks messy.
Apple should have used my concept, where you can individually choose an icon view or an widget view for your apps. ?

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Well, I read somewhere here you can't interact with them. Which makes them far worse, in my opinion. I have a calculator widget in my iPhone/iPad, so if I want to calculate something quickly, I just touch the screen and swipe to the right. Can't really do that anymore, can I?
And just what apple widget are you able to interact with? As far as I know, none of Apple’s widgets do anything other than display data. It took 3rd party widgets to do anything worthwhile, and there are no such widgets for the home screen yet.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
And just what apple widget are you able to interact with? As far as I know, none of Apple’s widgets do anything other than display data. It took 3rd party widgets to do anything worthwhile, and there are no such widgets for the home screen yet.
Files, Favorites, Reminders, Shortcuts, Notes, ...?

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Now I'm confused. In another thread someone said you can't interact with them and here you say you can. What is it now?
I actually have it installed on my iPhone, so I know what I’m talking about. There is some minimal interactivity. For example, on the calendar widget, I can select the entry, and it will take me straight to the entry on the calendar app. Same with the reminders widget, select the reminder and it opens the reminders app and highlights the reminder that was selected in the widget. Can I update the reminder in the widget??? Nope. Can I update the calendar entry in the widget?.? Nope again. But I couldn’t do those things on the former widget screen with 1st party widgets, either. 3rd party widgets will let me do those interactions on the old widget page. Hopefully future 3rd party widgets will let us do more on the home screen. Hopefully that answers your questions.

edit-there isn’t a 3rd party calendar widget to allow entry, only a reminder widget.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
I actually have it installed on my iPhone, so I know what I’m talking about. There is some minimal interactivity. For example, on the calendar widget, I can select the entry, and it will take me straight to the entry on the calendar app. Same with the reminders widget, select the reminder and it opens the reminders app and highlights the reminder that was selected in the widget. Can I update the reminder in the widget??? Nope. Can I update the calendar entry in the widget?.? Nope again. But I couldn’t do those things on the former widget screen with 1st party widgets, either. 3rd party widgets will let me do those interactions on the old widget page. Hopefully future 3rd party widgets will let us do more on the home screen. Hopefully that answers your questions.

edit-there isn’t a 3rd party calendar widget to allow entry, only a reminder widget.
Well, you can mark an item in the reminders widget as complete, or call a person directly from the favorites widget. With the new ones, they always just take you to the app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.