Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Yeah...people and semantics on here...yes, taking one to the app when tapping on the widget technically means you can “interact” with it, but I don’t think that’s what people are referring to when they ask the question about whether they are just viewable or if you can interact with them.

The widgets have viewable info, and while that info changes, you cannot change it or view more details within the widget itself by interacting with it.

Example...seeing a news story in a widget and wanting to read it only opens the story in the larger actual app, not in the widget on your home screen.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Well, you can mark an item in the reminders widget as complete, or call a person directly from the favorites widget. With the new ones, they always just take you to the app?
There is no favorites widget yet. Individual targets can be selected in a widget, so while there is no checkbox on the current reminder app, it certainly could be added later. It’s actually more functional for me as the old reminder widget would only allow for timed reminders. The current reminder home screen widget is buggy and I’m quite certain is unfinished.
[automerge]1593593995[/automerge]
Yeah...people and semantics on here...
Indeed...

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Banking apps, order tracking, a good weather (Carrot) widget.. I’m sure there are a ton I’m not even thinking of right off.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I think now you‘re just trying to argue for the sake of argue with how you backtrack on your statements. Just let it go.

I LOVE to argue, but never for arguments sake....so, what your saying (or agreeing with), when the GM is launched to both developers and public beta testers alike (typically around 5 days before release to the general public), I will see updates for the following apps and they will all have widgets available for the home screen? Or let's just say half of them??

YouTube, Instagram, ZOOM, Facebook, Messenger, Snapchat, Gmail, Amazon, Netflix, Google Maps, Spotify, PayPal, WhatsApp, Venmo, Twitter, Hulu, Google, Amazon Prime, Pandora, Google Photos?? (these just happen to be 20 apps from my phone that are within the top 40 most popular on the app store)

Remember, this wasn't some "general" question about app updates. We are in a thread specific to widgets and the original question was about 3rd party apps/widgets being available on the first day. And the answer was that one will be able to download updated apps up to a week before.

You KNOW there will be a thread started right then with a list of 3rd party widgets, so I guess we will be able to track it. I'll even start the thread 1-2 weeks before release to the public so we can track them!! :p I really hope widgets for most apps will be available that soon, just not holding my breath.

Christ, I'm still waiting for Google Maps and Waze to add availability to CarPlay dashboard...and they've had the capability to do so since March! Like I said above, STILL waiting on dark mode for most apps.
[automerge]1593601657[/automerge]
Banking apps, order tracking, a good weather (Carrot) widget.. I’m sure there are a ton I’m not even thinking of right off.

I'm wondering if banking apps will have the ability to show a "quick balance" somehow in a widget without having to go into the app? Hard to believe they would allow such a view for security reasons, but that's one of those "interactive" type of things I would love in a widget versus just opening the app and going in a tap or two to see.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
YouTube, Instagram, ZOOM, Facebook, Messenger, Snapchat, Gmail, Amazon, Netflix, Google Maps, Spotify, PayPal, WhatsApp, Venmo, Twitter, Hulu, Google, Amazon Prime, Pandora, Google Photos?? (these just happen to be 20 apps from my phone that are within the top 40 most popular on the app store)

That’s a lot of widgets..... 😳 You’d have no room for anything and about 20 pages of widgets! Also, how would half of them be functional for a widget lol. Sounds like you just want windowed apps, rather than widgets.....🤔

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
That’s a lot of widgets..... 😳 You’d have no room for anything and about 20 pages of widgets! Also, how would half of them be functional for a widget lol. Sounds like you just want windowed apps, rather than widgets.....🤔

I'm not saying I will use all of these as widgets, just wondering if all or even half of these will have widgets available on day one for use. And yes, I could see all of these having a use as a widget...they all provide info on some level. Which ones do you think would not??

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
I'm not saying I will use all of these as widgets, just wondering if all or even half of these will have widgets available on day one for use. And yes, I could see all of these having a use as a widget...they all provide info on some level. Which ones do you think would not??
Ahh, wasn’t clear.

No chance they will all have them available day one. Look at Facebook, for example, only just brought dark mode to their app (even now, it’s gradual), same with gmail, took them time. I expect most of them to have widgets, at some point, but not all on day one.

Soft91

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2020
Please when developing the ios 14 while not make shazam screen records music being heard on a app on phones

• Haha
Reactions: miamialley

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Youtube app
ESPN app
Sport apps
Phone app
Message app
Safari bookmarks
Weather apps
Google search bar

Reactions: MisterMillz

RandomDSdevel

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
Kokomo, IN
-----I used to use this Dashboard widget that showed a customizable lightsaber, complete with sound effects. I don't have any idea if something like that would be supported with the new widget infrastructure, though. (I don't know if anybody ever made a Today widget for Notification Center like that, either.)

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
From what I read, aren't these new widgets way worse than the old ones?

In some ways they are better, and in some ways they are worse. Most notably: they are not interactive - they can’t accept input and do anything with it.
[automerge]1593653924[/automerge]
-----I used to use this Dashboard widget that showed a customizable lightsaber, complete with sound effects. I don't have any idea if something like that would be supported with the new widget infrastructure, though. (I don't know if anybody ever made a Today widget for Notification Center like that, either.)
Nope, can’t do stuff like that. It’s simply for display of information (that can update at flexible intervals), and you can tap on it to launch into the corresponding app.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
IP Cam Viewer, I wish they would make a widget like they have on Android which shows a live feed. I know, most likely this isn't possible due to Apple's implementation, but it's still on my wish list.

I'd also love widgets which would would let you scroll through content such as messages, email, etc. Interactivity would be nice, but I'd settle for just being able to scroll through content before deciding I need to open the full app.

Reactions: miamialley

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
My job makes me use outlook. So outlook calendar.
Outlook has always been slow on updates. It took them forever to even get an app for the Apple Watch. Having said that, my company also makes us use Outlook but after ios 14 beta came out, I spent some time to figure out how I could get my work appointments into my iphone calendar (so I could use the widget and also so the appointments would show up in carplay).

Here's how you do it: In outlook for web, go to settings, view all settings (at the bottom), calendar, shared calendar, under "Publish a calendar" click the link next to ics and then say copy link. I was on my computer so I pasted it into an email to myself and then got on my phone and copied the link from the email. in the calendar section of iphone settings, go to accounts, add account, other & then at the buttom, add subscribed calendar. Paste that link (ending in ics) in the server field. It worked perfectly! I couldn't figure out how to do it in the regular desktop outlook but maybe you can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.