Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Funny enough those are 2 widgets I'm really worried about losing, Launcher and BeWeather3. Another one that has really nice interaction is WidgetCal.

Overall I continue to be extremely underwhelmed with these new widgets, the old ones were better in almost every way. I'm crossing my fingers that this is just a growth period and eventually these widgets will be improved, especially when 3rd party devs get their hands on them. But I don't think my main gripe will ever be addressed, that we lost the ability to roll up the widgets to save space.

By reading the Apple developer page about the new widgets it also mentions that the widgets in the Today View / Notification Center area will remain in iOS14 for both iOS and will remain as in previous iPadOS version there as well. Not sure how things will go in future iOS versions though.

There is no mentioning of any such limitations on the 'old' widgets from the Today View screen.
For the new widgets they do mention:

Supporting Widget Configuration and Interactivity
Offer a configurable widget when it makes sense. In many cases, people need to specify the information they want to see before a widget can display useful content. For example, people need to choose a location for a Weather widget or a stock symbol for a Stocks symbol widget. In contrast, the Podcasts widget is preconfigured to display recent content, so people don't need to customize it. If you're creating a configurable widget, avoid requiring too many settings or asking for information that might be hard for people to find. You don't have to design a configuration UI for your widget, because the system automatically generates it for you. For developer guidance, see Making a Configurable Widget.

Ensure that tapping your widget opens your app at the right location. When people tap your widget, it deep-links into your app, where you can offer details and actions that are directly related to the widget's content. For example, when people tap a Stocks symbol widget, the Stocks app opens to a page that displays information about that symbol. Similarly, when people tap a small Stocks watchlist widget, the app opens to show the complete watchlist.

Avoid defining too many tap targets. A small widget supports a single tap target, but medium and large widgets can offer multiple targets. For example, the medium Notes widget can display several notes. When people tap one of them, the app opens to display that note.

Image of the medium Notes widget, listing three items below a bar at the top that displays a folder glyph and the name Notes on a yellow background. From the top, the first item is titled Kitchen remodel wishlist 4:16 PM. The second item title is The new update is great! March 25 2020. The third item is titled Plus five more.

Although multiple tap targets might make sense for your content, avoid offering so many targets that people have trouble tapping the one they want.

Designing a Beautiful Widget

Aim for a comfortable density of information. When content appears sparse, the widget can seem unnecessary; when content is too dense, the widget isn't glanceable. If you have lots of information to include, avoid letting your widget become a collage of items that are difficult to parse. Seek ways to curate the content so that people can grasp the essential parts instantly, and view relevant details at a longer look. You might also consider creating a larger widget and looking for places where you can replace text with graphics without losing clarity.

Reactions: C DM and gwhizkids

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
By reading the Apple developer page about the new widgets it also mentions that the widgets in the Today View / Notification Center area will remain in iOS14 for both iOS and will remain as in previous iPadOS version there as well. Not sure how things will go in future iOS versions though.

There is no mentioning of any such limitations on the 'old' widgets from the Today View screen.
For the new widgets they do mention:

Supporting Widget Configuration and Interactivity
Offer a configurable widget when it makes sense. In many cases, people need to specify the information they want to see before a widget can display useful content. For example, people need to choose a location for a Weather widget or a stock symbol for a Stocks symbol widget. In contrast, the Podcasts widget is preconfigured to display recent content, so people don't need to customize it. If you're creating a configurable widget, avoid requiring too many settings or asking for information that might be hard for people to find. You don't have to design a configuration UI for your widget, because the system automatically generates it for you. For developer guidance, see Making a Configurable Widget.

Ensure that tapping your widget opens your app at the right location. When people tap your widget, it deep-links into your app, where you can offer details and actions that are directly related to the widget's content. For example, when people tap a Stocks symbol widget, the Stocks app opens to a page that displays information about that symbol. Similarly, when people tap a small Stocks watchlist widget, the app opens to show the complete watchlist.

Avoid defining too many tap targets. A small widget supports a single tap target, but medium and large widgets can offer multiple targets. For example, the medium Notes widget can display several notes. When people tap one of them, the app opens to display that note.

Image of the medium Notes widget, listing three items below a bar at the top that displays a folder glyph and the name Notes on a yellow background. From the top, the first item is titled Kitchen remodel wishlist 4:16 PM. The second item title is The new update is great! March 25 2020. The third item is titled Plus five more.

Although multiple tap targets might make sense for your content, avoid offering so many targets that people have trouble tapping the one they want.

Designing a Beautiful Widget

Aim for a comfortable density of information. When content appears sparse, the widget can seem unnecessary; when content is too dense, the widget isn't glanceable. If you have lots of information to include, avoid letting your widget become a collage of items that are difficult to parse. Seek ways to curate the content so that people can grasp the essential parts instantly, and view relevant details at a longer look. You might also consider creating a larger widget and looking for places where you can replace text with graphics without losing clarity.

It's a shame, but it really seems that Apple is dumbing down the widgets, oh well I suppose dumbing things down comes with Apple territory. I don't think it's too much to ask to be able to scroll inside a widget, or to have more options on what to display. As it is I have to open the app anyway, making the current widgets kind of useless for the most part.

"Avoid defining too many tap targets" As opposed to too few or too small of a target like the News widget. It's almost impossible to tap the News name to not get a specific story and/or go to the last story you were reading. That's among the other reasons the News widget now sucks, hopefully they offer more choices.

I still think the worst downgrade by far is the loss of being able to roll the widgets up.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I’m not sure I follow this thread. Why are some people excited for some apps to make widgets now but not before? What can you do now that you couldn’t before?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I’m not sure I follow this thread. Why are some people excited for some apps to make widgets now but not before? What can you do now that you couldn’t before?

The answer, to some extent, remains to be seen... but the biggest "new" thing is that they can now go on the home screen, interspersed with standard app icons.

Reactions: GreyOS

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Looking forward to the Drafts ones that are still WIP:

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 3.08.25 PM.png

Have a feeling it's going to be the same as the last time. Things are going to get approved/rejected and we're going to have the same discussions about it.

Reactions: pacorob

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020

I can have a quick glance at the weather widget to see the weather, instead of having to open the app, same goes for battery percentage, no need to slide down control centre to see percentage.

Looking forward to using the 3rd party widgets when they get released.

Reactions: pacorob

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I can have a quick glance at the weather widget to see the weather, instead of having to open the app, same goes for battery percentage, no need to slide down control centre to see percentage.

Looking forward to using the 3rd party widgets when they get released.
But the weather widget and battery widget already existed and so do 3rd party widgets. They could just only be on the widget page.

If it’s really just about them being more visible and accessible on the home screens, then cool, I do get that, but some of the replies here left me with the impression some people didn’t know widgets already existed. More likely there is some other new capability in the new widget style that I’ve missed?

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You won't have to use Touch/Face ID just right after you tap on one, which is the downside of having them on the lock screen. They probably can use a bit more RAM which was always a problem with the original ones and they'd blank out a lot to the point that a lot of developers just didn't update them for iOS 10.

robertk328

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
But the weather widget and battery widget already existed and so do 3rd party widgets. They could just only be on the widget page.

If it’s really just about them being more visible and accessible on the home screens, then cool, I do get that, but some of the replies here left me with the impression some people didn’t know widgets already existed. More likely there is some other new capability in the new widget style that I’ve missed?
Yep, having them right on the home screen when I wake the phone.
[automerge]1594984124[/automerge]
You won't have to use Touch/Face ID just right after you tap on one, which is the downside of having them on the lock screen. They probably can use a bit more RAM which was always a problem with the original ones and they'd blank out a lot to the point that a lot of developers just didn't update them for iOS 10.
The lock screen is notifications, there's already a widgets page (after you've already unlocked). I've rarely used that, I just want a few of my key apps on my home screen.

Of course I can get some of that info on the Apple Watch as well but the widgets should display more info.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
This thread is probably as good a place to put this as any, Readdle have sent out an email with the following details about how their apps will be updated to use iOS14 including widgets :-

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Not even third party, but Apple Music's widget showing "recently played" isn't all that useful. Sure, I played a song a while ago and now I want to play that specific song again? What would be more useful is a "Now Playing" widget that shows me album art and you can tap to go into Apple Music for playback controls.
Yep - definitely needs better implementation of the Music app - I also don't really care about what I played lately. And the fact that it is slow to update (but I realize we are still in early Beta stages.)

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
So what widgets are on your wishlist, either future official ones or third party.

Wha I’d like to see:
  • iMessage (pinned) shortcut straight into the message thread.
  • Contacts
  • HomeKit - shortcut to pop accessories/scenes
  • Books - currently reading

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
HomeKit Cameras (Like the HomeCam app’s today view but an Apple version widget) and HomeKit accessory status (the ones that may require attention like motion detected)

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Looking forward to the Drafts ones that are still WIP:

Have a feeling it's going to be the same as the last time. Things are going to get approved/rejected and we're going to have the same discussions about it.

It looks really good. Unfortunate the TestFlight for it is already full. I'm afraid others like Cromulent Labs Launcher and , Music Launcher will run into the same limitations for the homescreen widgets.

Reactions: Pow!

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013

Probably because they can be displayed on the Home Screen and not relegated to the -1 screen. That is what can be done now vs before. My current Home Screen is all widgets: a stack of widgets up top (weather, Notes, calendar, etc..) that Smart Rotate (and do a pretty good job of predicting what I want to see). Below are 2 sets of Siri Suggestion widgets which display the apps it thinks I want to see then. It also does a pretty good job.

Imagine, then, a Fantastical widget that displays your calendar in some rich, useful way. That would be very helpful and I would almost definitely use it.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
This thread is probably as good a place to put this as any, Readdle have sent out an email with the following details about how their apps will be updated to use iOS14 including widgets :-

Bad link

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I've got the first two 3rd party widgets installed on my iPhone 8 running iOS14 public beta.
If you also want to test them out check them out here:

- Träning by Strong Software Sweden - the app and iOS14 widget is really in earlier stages and is available in English and Swedish.

- Music Harbor by Marcos Antonio Tanaka - can connect to Apple Music and Spotify. Widget looks nice but it does keep bugging me that we cannot have play/pause/skip buttons in homescreen widget.

I have also seen some other widgets in the works (screenshots) which also look promising:

- Drafts
- Spark (e-mail)
- Launcher Center Pro
- Rebills (there is a TestFlight but still lacks widget)

Can't wait to see some widgets of my favorite apps and current classic widgets such as Forecast Bar, Carrot Weather, Hello Weather, Launcher although I keep wondering if these will make a homescreen widget if this automaticly means that you can no longer have a 'classic' (more) interactive widget in the Today View area in iOS14 as well?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pow!
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.