Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

dan.tebeau

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2015
Where in the heck are all the 3rd party widgets? Did Apple simply not sell or promote iOS 14 to the big app makers or are they simply not interested in updating. I’m shocked ESPN/Bleacher Report/Yahoo Sports don’t have widgets for the home screen yet.

Is it possible that scores can’t update in the background which leads to app makers not prioritizing? I’m lost why there are so few 3rd party widgets, let me know what I’m missing.

TIA

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I don’t believe they can update frequently enough to be useful. Same issue with watch complications.

I still use the old style ESPN widget for scores, on the today screen.

Reactions: dan.tebeau

LongWayHome

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Haha I just came into this forum to see if there were any sports widgets that I couldn't find. Disappointing that this seems to be a limitation of the widgets themselves.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
How do you use old style widgets in iOS 14? I'm missing the old favorites widget in particular
You can still have them in the old place, swipe right from the home screen, if they exist as an option however the favourites one doesn’t exist any more so you can’t add it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How do you use old style widgets in iOS 14? I'm missing the old favorites widget in particular
It depends on whether or not the app still offers the old widget. In case of the Phone app Apple removed the Favorites widget it seems. There are some third party or shortcut alternatives as I recall.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Absolutely crazy. I can’t believe theirs not a sports widget or even a social media widget.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Well, what functionality would you like from specifically a social media widget?
Instagram... show a random person I’m following latest post. Or let me to choose a person to see their latest post...
Twitter could do the same..
Facebook... I guess as well...

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Instagram... show a random person I’m following latest post. Or let me to choose a person to see their latest post...
Twitter could do the same..
Facebook... I guess as well...

I am sure they will come. These big companies have long roadmaps for development. I am sure these widgets are on there somewhere.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
For any Plex server users, Varys just rolled out an update adding a bunch of new widget options.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
The more I use IOS 14, the more disappointed I am that Apple's functionality for them are basically just glorified apps. They aren't interactive, so having a sports widget doesn't really seem necessary, and they still have them on the far left side. It is a shame though because they did look good at the WWDC presentation. It also isn't good how developers complained about the whole public release being a day after the GM release but most of these developers probably had no intentions to bring in Widgets anyway. It's been a month and a half since the main release now.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
The more I use IOS 14, the more disappointed I am that Apple's functionality for them are basically just glorified apps. They aren't interactive, so having a sports widget doesn't really seem necessary, and they still have them on the far left side. It is a shame though because they did look good at the WWDC presentation. It also isn't good how developers complained about the whole public release being a day after the GM release but most of these developers probably had no intentions to bring in Widgets anyway. It's been a month and a half since the main release now.

It's really hit and miss depending upon the apps functionality. Fantastical has amazing widgets. As does SnipNotes. But anything time dependent is just not going to work great. ETA rolled out a live updating widget but includes a timer to indicate when it was last updated. From my experience, those updates can be anywhere from minutes to hours, and developers have very limited abilities to make those updates happen faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.