Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
I can take a buck knife, razor blade, keys etc... to my 5 and 5S and not scratch it. Don't know why people are so impressed with this. Most glass will resist this basic test. Bending is pointless as the impact to a corner of your iPhone will shatter any glass made so far, sure Gorilla is tougher than cheap glass but let's face it, humans can destroy anything put in front of us. This won't end glass breakage.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
I can take a buck knife, razor blade, keys etc... to my 5 and 5S and not scratch it. Don't know why people are so impressed with this. Most glass will resist this basic test. Bending is pointless as the impact to a corner of your iPhone will shatter any glass made so far, sure Gorilla is tougher than cheap glass but let's face it, humans can destroy anything put in front of us. This won't end glass breakage.

Ive gotta think that the bending in that video has to help with shattering.

exizeo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
This is my exact thought. I've had 2 iPhones and a 1G iPod Touch (no Gorilla there), zero scratches. And the iPod has, more than once, been launched across a driveway (thank you, children), scratching/gouging the hell out of the edges and metal back, zero scratches on screen (it did get one crack from the abuse). Recently I've been dropping my 5 a bunch, may be something wrong with me, but no scratches on its screen.

What do people do?? I'm starting to think, from comments here, that people don't actually get scratches, the screen just needs to be cleaned.

The older iPod touches are literally tanks. My second generation has been chucked across a brick floor (dropped it, then kicked it...) with sharp concrete between the bricks, been dropped multiple times, etc (blame my teenage idiocy). Still looks to be in better condition than most fourth and fifth generation iPod touches I see, even though it's past half a decade old. Probably in better condition than most iPhones I've seen. And no, I don't have a case on my iPod.

Tanegashima

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Portugal
So without any real evidence you quite happily attack his integrity and call him corrupt? What sort of person does that.

Its also a funny thing to say given he pretty much exclusively uses Apple computers to make all of his videos....

So do Googlers at Googlelex.

But I have evidence, because his videos show publicity on Youtube. Youtube pays for videos that show publicity and reach a certain number of views, now, how much, in reality depends on how much Google wants to pay you...

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Ive gotta think that the bending in that video has to help with shattering.

Bending? I'm open to discuss thoughts but once the LCD/glass assembly is glued or screwed to the alum back housing the glass doesn't get to "bend" if the device is dropped on it's corner. The impact to the edge of the glass that is held flat is what tends to shatter them, it's also what shatters pretty much anything currently out on a smartphone today no matter the brand.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
This is being presented as a sapphire display for the next iPhone. Whether or not it is actually used in the next iPhone, it was pretty clear that the panel shown in the video had little benefit over Gorilla Glass 3. If this is indeed sapphire-infused or whatever, the entire "sapphire" selling point would be a gimmick.

Thank you for corroborating my point. The sapphire selling point doesn't exist right now. None of us know how Apple will introduce the screen and promote it (if they will at all). Calling it a gimmick now, before it's even introduced or confirmed to be sapphire, is obviously wrong.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Thank you for corroborating my point. The sapphire selling point doesn't exist right now. None of us know how Apple will introduce the screen and promote it (if they will at all). Calling it a gimmick now, before it's even introduced or confirmed to be sapphire, is obviously wrong.

It's confirmed not to be sapphire, though.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
It's confirmed not to be sapphire, though.

I don't think you understand what confirmed means. Apple hasn't confirmed what the material is, or if this is a genuine part. The part they tested does not appear to have the hardness of sapphire, and it's probable that the part is genuine, but that's it. I'm not even sure what your point is.

dirk gently

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
MN
Aluminium is also part of traditional glasses, unfortunately. If you think of a composite of sapphire and traditional glass, I'd assume they put a very thin layer of sapphire on the outside to take advantage of sapphire's superior hardness on top of something like gorilla glass. So most of the panel is still composed like traditional glass. Even if you examine both Gorilla Glass and the Sapphire composite, I doubt that the difference is even significant enough.

Again, something like x-ray spectroscopy or (even something like Debye-Scherrer or Laue) would be much more helpful, I'd assume.

I'd just use a FTIR with a single-bounce diamond ATR. Will tell you if it has a sapphire outer coating in 30 seconds.

Surely, if this guy can get joe rogan to shoot arrows at it he could also find someone that works in a lab with a FTIR. Hell, I bet joe rogan even knows a guy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.