Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Thinking about it, you have a very valid point, there must be something that does scratch one's screen, grit in the pocket perhaps? I must admit that as far as I know I have never suffered scratches on the iPhones that I have owned, it could be that my 57 year old eyes do not pick them out (A very good possibility TBH).

What I will say is, that if asked what in my opinion was the iPhones biggest flaw, scratch resistance on the screen would not be near the top of faults that I would want to be addressed. I think the iPhone would be nigh on perfect if the water resistance was tackled first, the rest, IMHO is the icing on the cake of a superb phone. :)

We all know phones that get scratched from things like keys and other types of metal in the pocket. Yet his isn't supposed to happen according to the scale with phones covered in gorilla 2 or 3. This reviewer is just a kid with no discernible experience or credibility. Even if he has a real prototype iPhone 6 front, it means nothing because he doesn't understand basic testing. Why not compare the scratch resistance to Samsung s4? If iPhone 5s uses gorilla glass 2, then this iPhone 6 material is probably no better than gorilla glass 3 which is supposed to be 40% more scratch resistant. This was never made clear so the video is just as bad as the first.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
Guys sandpaper is is rated a 9 on the MOHs scale. As is sapphire crystal.

This means that sand paper WOULD scratch sapphire crystal regardless if that panel is real or not. The fact that is does indeed scratch less actually enforces the fact that the panel is real.

The test they should of done is put sand on brick and rub the glass on it. If it scratches it's not real sapphire, if it doesn't that means it's real.

Sandpaper is a horrible test because it will scratch EVERYTHING but real diamond.....

Don't jump to conclusions guys. This means nothing.:confused:

But shouldnt it of scratched the home button? I think it must be somewhere in the middle. Stronger than gorilla but less than sapphire.

----------

I think the part is legit-Sonny Dickson has been reliable in the past. What makes this potentially a game changer is the improved flexibility that we saw in the last video. Generally, more flexible screens are less likely to shatter on impact when dropped (less brittle). Whatever this is-sapphire hybrid or not-will be a huge selling point for Apple if it is "shatter-proof", and Apple knows it. I think this was the plan all along

Should be interesting! I picked up stock in GTAT. Hope its theirs...:eek:

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
So this means that a pocket knife, or car keys cannot scratch an iPhone 5S?

that is what I am understanding from this video... however that is not true, can someone explain this to me?

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
We should indeed just await the official announcement, there is no way for sure we can know that the piece of glass that is used in the video is indeed legitimate. Besides, why criticise something that isn't even public yet.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Sure because having sand in your pocket is exactly the same as vigorously scrubbing the screen with sandpaper.

Yes, it is. Well, having your phone in a sandy pocket for months or years is likely to be far worse than a quick rubdown with sandpaper.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I was speaking to ad revenue. You are speaking to endorsements. I see where you are coming from now.

Still, these conspiracy theories about Google paying to "slam" Apple (especially in a video where nobody is slamming anyone) are interesting to say the least. I wonder if folks who provide bad reviews for a Google product are being paid by Apple to do so? :rolleyes:

----------

That's not how it works at all. The more subscribers a person gets, not just views, the pay gets bumped considerably in each bracket. You start getting bigger sponsorships and the ads in your videos will start coming from larger companies because your videos are going to get x amount of views from x amount of subscribers. A family member of mine currently makes over 5K a month from 100K subscribers. Her pay is rather consistent even though some of her vids have over 2 million views.

Basically, the more popular you get on YouTube, your pay goes up considerably in each bracket. When you hit 100k...200k...300k etc subscribers... you're going to be making a lot of money. When you hit 1 million you'll be loaded. Your value for ad revenue is tremendous because they know a large amount of people will be viewing your videos... so they know people will see their ad or product. She gets all sorts of free stuff as well to review.

These folks with 1 mil+ subscribers are VERY well off. Don't be fooled. If someone is stating they're not making that much when they've hit that point, they're flat out lying.

I am only going by what people are required to report in taxes (and Google adsense doesn't give you the option NOT to). I don't doubt your family member is doing well for herself. What I am saying is that it isn't a linear road. if I had to guess, someone reviewing products will likely make more per view/click because they are effectively "selling" a product in the video itself as well (easier to taylor an add to that specific audience). Someone who gets the same amount of views for a cover song they did or some sort of comedy skit is likely not seeing the same ratio. Again, I don't believe it is linear.

My response was initially to someone that said it's a flat $7 per 1,000 views. I stand by the statement that this in't a very usable rule of thumb. I am sure some make MORE, depending on a handful of factors. I can guarantee you some make way less. Again, I am going with my personal experience and the TYPE of channel that I had. It wasn't out of the ordinary to see higher revnue on one video with half the hits that another had. I want to say that we had somewhere around 15 million views in the four months we had the channel up, just as an idea of where we were.

Last edited:

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
When I saw cow hearts and other organs I almost fainted. I wouldn't be surprised if they used cow penis and balls in the mix as well.

What's the problem? Heart is good, so is liver, kidneys, tongue and other "scraps". Balls don't really taste that much of anything, but having a pair of fist-sized testies on your plate is obviously, well, ballsy. And my dog seems to really enjoy the smoked and dried penises.

----------

That's a Galaxy S3. Released early 2012 with materials from 2011 or so. That is *NOT* Gorilla Glass 3.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
The hardness rating of emery in the article is a bit misleading - Emery is a mixture of minerals including corundum (Same as sapphire) so there will very likely be grains of corundum on the sandpaper. The fact that emery could scratch the "glass" does not prove it is not sapphire.

Why didnt it scratch the home button then? (which is known to be made of sapphire crystal)

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
We should indeed just await the official announcement, there is no way for sure we can know that the piece of glass that is used in the video is indeed legitimate. Besides, why criticise something that isn't even public yet.

Because this is entirely what a rumors site is supposed to be about. :p

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
If Apple makes the 4.7" phone the equivalent of the 5C and the 5.5" the 5S, they have missed the boat. The should be making the phone's specs identical with the only difference the physical size.

That is impossible, and impractical. They would differ in either DPI or the number of actual pixels on the screen and in battery size as a bare minimum. Both of which would lead to somewhat different optimal designs.

----------

Guys sandpaper is is rated a 9 on the MOHs scale.

No, it isn't. It's rated whatever it is made from. In this case, garnet comes in at 7 and emory at 8.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I will wait for a propper test, with a production iphone 6, that's not made by an android fanboy that's being paid by google. :rolleyes:

So without any real evidence you quite happily attack his integrity and call him corrupt? What sort of person does that.

Its also a funny thing to say given he pretty much exclusively uses Apple computers to make all of his videos....

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010

that is what I am understanding from this video... however that is not true, can someone explain this to me?

What do you mean by that? Yes, keys, knifes and such will not scratch glass. The scratches on your phone are not from keys and knives, but from small particles of sand and other grime that gets lodges in your pockets, car, tables and where ever you might be placing your phone. A tight fitting case in a sandy environment is the ultimate phone scratcher.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
This is all fun and games until the average consumer gets its hands on a sapphire glass iPhone and realizes it's still not shatter-resistant - which is the real issue with current thin/light devices.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
He has no livelihood, he is still in School! He has got money from payment from manufacturers and ads.

Correction - he gets devices and access from manufacturers and money from ads. Implying he gets paid money for reviews is a baseless slur.

And why would you buy a camera used to make the latest Hollywood summer blockbuster to make You Tube videos? It's pointless considering the compression You Tube applies to the videos.

Because his videos are of a very high quality both technically and in terms of content - this level of quality is why he has more than a million subscribers....

----------

Worked hard, he just makes some videos.

Making videos of that quality singlehandedly would be almost a full-time endeavour in itself.

hbvfrrrr

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2014
check this out

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Last week, a video posted by YouTube user Marques Brownlee showed the alleged front panel of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 being put through a number of scratch tests and significant bending. Now, Brownlee has released another video putting the same display through more rigorous scratch tests, this time with two different types of sandpaper.

YouTube: video
Brownlee cites the Mohs scale of mineral hardness in his testing, which is a scale rating mineral hardness from 1-10. The iPhone 5s' Gorilla Glass display is rated at a 6.8, while sapphire crystal, which Apple uses for the iPhone 5s Touch ID home button, is rated at 9. The two sandpapers used for the test include garnet, which is rated at a 7 on the Mohs scale, and emery, rated slightly above an 8.

Upon testing, both types of sandpapers were able to scratch the iPhone 6's front panel, but it did show better resistance than the Gorilla Glass display for the iPhone 5s. Notably, the sapphire Touch ID home button on the iPhone 5s did not display any marks after being scratched by the sandpaper. This would indicate that the alleged front panel from the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 is not sapphire crystal, but instead perhaps a next-generation version of Gorilla Glass. It is also possible that the panel could be a hybrid sapphire coated display, which was patented by Apple last year.

A report last month claimed that Apple would only be using a sapphire display in the larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6 over concerns about high cost and limited supply. Earlier rumors had indicated that Apple would have enough sapphire glass for production of both iPhone 6 models and the iWatch in 2014.

Apple is expected to announce the iPhone 6 in early September with a release coming a few weeks later. It is unclear whether the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch versions of the device will launch at the same time, with recent reports claiming that the larger iPhone 6 will be released later this year or in early 2015. In addition to a larger display, both models of the iPhone are expected to include a faster A8 processor, a thinner profile, an improved camera, and Apple's new iOS 8 mobile operating system.

Article Link: 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Front Panel Subjected to More Rigorous Scratch Tests, May Not Be Sapphire

see this
http://forexpunch.com/

----------

check this out
http://onlinesolutionproviders.com/questions

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Some random bloke on a random You Tube channel apparently obtains what must be through illegal means an apparent part of the yet to be ANNOUNCED iPhone, and claims it isn't sapphire glass... because sandpaper scratches it, and Mac Rumors runs with the story. [insert facepalm]

Random bloke? He has more than a million subscribers, his videos would on *average* get a quarter of a million views each, he gets access to all the right events and people (he recently interviewed Motorola Mobility CEO) and is held in high regard within the industry ("the best technology reviewer on the planet right now." - Vic Gundotra).

Who else ran his video? The Verge, Forbes Tech, HuffPost Tech, CNET, Time Magazine, NBC news... and dozens of regional newspapers and TV shows.

nickd3000

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2014
No, it isn't. It's rated whatever it is made from. In this case, garnet comes in at 7 and emory at 8.

Emory will most likely contain particles of corundum which is the same as sapphire, and equally hard materials will scratch each other.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney

I agree. Coins and keys do appear to permanently scratch the iPhone's screen, however I think it's the various coatings on the screen that are vulnerable rather than the glass itself. So even if Apple uses sapphire won't the same coatings still be vulnerable?

I find if you really care about maintaining a scratch-free screen you still have to have a screen protector.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
I agree. Coins and keys do appear to permanently scratch the iPhone's screen, however I think it's the various coatings on the screen that are vulnerable rather than the glass itself. So even if Apple uses sapphire won't the same coatings still be vulnerable?

I find if you really care about maintaining a scratch-free screen you still have to have a screen protector.

so if i take a kitchen knife, and drag it along my iPhone glass, it will not scratch?

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
I know this thread is 300 comments deep at this point, but seriously people?

Last week: omg! sapphire! unreal this changes everything! I knew it!!!

This week: obviously fake, person in video (same as last week) android fanboy, we can't be certain this is from the production line, etc. etc. etc. :rolleyes:

jont-fu

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
so if i take a kitchen knife, and drag it along my iPhone glass, it will not scratch?

I tried that with my first iPhone (3G) straight away in 2008, after seeing someone do that on Youtube. And it did not scratch.

After that test I had a false feeling of the screen being indestructible and handled my phone carelessly, throwing it in a beach bag (which had sand inside) etc. After one year of use the screen had scratches and finally cracked when the phone dropped into concrete.

BTW. That same phone is still in use by my girlfriend, after 3 diy front glass repacements :cool:

A. Dumbledore

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2014
I know this thread is 300 comments deep at this point, but seriously people?

Last week: omg! sapphire! unreal this changes everything! I knew it!!!

This week: obviously fake, person in video (same as last week) android fanboy, we can't be certain this is from the production line, etc. etc. etc. :rolleyes:

Well obviously we have to pass the time till the facts come out...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.