Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I cannot believe that Apple still sells a phone with 16GB of storage...that's simply ridiculous. Preposterous, even. It's been so many years since the iPhone 4 came out with the same exact amount. Has there been zero progress in NAND storage all these years? There sure has yet Apple is keeping it simply to boost profits. If Apple is going to make me pay $100 extra just to avoid only having 16GB storage, I will definitely not be buying the iPhone. All that the vast majority of us need is 32GB. Even your non-techie users generally have 8GB of photos and videos. Combined with however much storage is unavailable no matter what because of iOS itself.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
No one is denying that RAM == Random Access Memory. However, the capacity of space being discussed within this MR article refers to ROM– Read Only Memory.

The difference between RAM and ROM is much more than a single letter.

It's not read only memory. ROM can't be written (as in CDROM).

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
No one is denying that RAM == Random Access Memory. However, the capacity of space being discussed within this MR article refers to ROM– Read Only Memory.

The difference between RAM and ROM is much more than a single letter.

It’s not ROM ... otherwise, how could I _write_ photos or music to the device. :D

It’s storage. Read and write flash storage. :) (it’s analogous to a hard drive or a little more accurate, an SSD)

Since I only do 32GB devices, if the $299 sub’ed price is for 64GB, then *woot* :cool:

lowercaseperson

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2006
thanks iCloud

Sadly I think the dismal 16GB base will probably hobble along one more year. The rational is they are upgrading iCloud so...who needs more local storage? I hate it, and Samsung will have a field day with it (frankly I can't believe they haven't already). I'll just have to fork over an extra $100 just to fit what I need on my phone.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I cannot believe that Apple still sells a phone with 16GB of storage...that's simply ridiculous. Preposterous, even.

Serious question, why do you care? As a shopper you get what's right for you. Why do you care about the products you aren't buying?

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Because most would prefer 32Gb for $199 rather than 16GB for $199. They are advocating increasing the storage capacity of the base model, which may cost Apple in the vicinity of $4. I think if the 16GB model was $99 or $149, people wouldn't be complaining.

4 dollars is a paltry fee to pay for 32 gb of storage instead of 16 gb. no arguments here.

except when you realize that extra 4 dollars is for every single phone they make which will be in the tens of millions. Now you know why Apple has so much cash.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
No, most people certainly don't. Off the top of my head, I'd say that 95% of iPhones sold are 8 or 16 gig models.

Well first I'd disagree with that number, but it doesn't really matter. What I'm saying is that, although people can work with 16gb, at some point people will usually have to find a way to slim down what they have on their phone to accommodate what they've got.

I don't know if you're big on music, but it takes space up faster that a sprinting porcupine. (whatever that is...)

addictive

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
Gouge on the flash

I can see Apple having an iPhone line up of 16GB, 64GB, 128GB.

This forces people who want a fair amount of capacity to buy the more expensive product and therefore drive greater profits for Apple. Smart company for investors, less so for consumers.

Next year the iPhone 6S will start with a 32GB capacity but by then many people will have got used to having a 64GB capacity phone so will not want to go backwards to a 32GB capacity phone.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Sadly I think the dismal 16GB base will probably hobble along one more year. The rational is they are upgrading iCloud so...who needs more local storage? I hate it, and Samsung will have a field day with it (frankly I can't believe they haven't already). I'll just have to fork over an extra $100 just to fit what I need on my phone.

I wouldn't expect anything less from a company that tried to sell an 8GB iPhone 5C less than 6 months ago.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/18/5518296/iphone-5c-8gb-price-release-date

I do think 16GB is probably sufficient for a lot of people but I would like to see subsidized pricing like:

16GB $199
32GB $299
64GB $399
128GB $499

Yes, 128GB would be a niche but if Apple insists on the $100 uptick for doubling memory they'd have to be making a killing on the 128GB devices.

paperboyCCC

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Serious question, why do you care? As a shopper you get what's right for you. Why do you care about the products you aren't buying?

I switched from iPhone to Android back when the iPhone 4 was buggy. The battery life on Android is really bad though so I am going to consider the 5.5" iPhone 6 if it can compare to the Galaxy Note:

$749 new, but easy to find discounts
32gb storage ($50 to add more)
3gb RAM

If it's $749 for 16gb, $849 for 32gb, $949 for 64gb and $1049 for 128gb with no SD slot I would definitely not buy the 5.5" iPhone 6.

IMO if they are not going to include an SD card slot pricing should be:

4.7" iPhone 6
$649 - 32gb ($199 subsidized)
$699 - 64gb ($249 subsidized)
$799 - 128gb ($349 subsidized)

5.5" iPhone 6
$749 - 32gb ($299 subsidized)
$699 - 64gb ($349 subsidized)
$899 - 128gb ($449 subsidized)

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast

Because I have been using the iPhone since the original in 2007. It would be a shame to have to switch to another type of phone because Apple can't keep up with technological progress. 16GB was fine in 2010 for a base model on a $650 phone. But not anymore.

I cannot even imagine spending $650 on a phone in the year 2014 with a mere 16GB storage, it's just unimaginable in this day and age.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Well first I'd disagree with that number, but it doesn't really matter.

Should be easy enough to punch the ASP and # devices sold in a spreadsheet and see what mix of devices you get.

EDIT: Still, I've been in the industry for over a decade, and 95% is a fair estimate of the amount of people going for the base models. It is only with super enthusiast devices (such as the nigh stillborn Nokia N9) that you see any significant amount of people choosing the higher models, if such a thing even exists.

I don't know if you're big on music, but it takes space up faster that a sprinting porcupine. (whatever that is...)

I am, and for that reason (plus the fact that I take fairly much pictures) I hate myself for "saving" 100 euros, and now I can't load any music on my phone because it is filled with everything else. Well, fortunately there's Spotify and online radios...

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
4 dollars is a paltry fee to pay for 32 gb of storage instead of 16 gb. no arguments here.

except when you realize that extra 4 dollars is for every single phone they make which will be in the tens of millions. Now you know why Apple has so much cash.

Well, then sell only the 32 model for 205 dollars. I don't think many would complain. Come
On, they have been selling 16gb for the base model since 2009! they could sell the 32 gb and still have a higher margin! :'( they are being greedy

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto

It's not about the $4, it's about the 100$ that people will not pay to upgrade if the base model is 32gb.

Even if cost 4$ more for a 16gb chip vs a 32 GB chip, apple would still do it. They want the 100$ not to save 4$

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014
Everybody I know with 16 GB need to take time to manage their iTunes playlists and whatnot every once in a while. My cousin does that every month, I have never done it because I have increased my iOS product capacity every time it became available.

16 GB should not exist anymore, don't get me wrong, it only lets them have exagerated profit margins.

iTunes? Does that still exist? First person in years I have heard using iTunes.

The cloud/streaming ftw. I have LTE everywhere I go (European country).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.