Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacrumoursUser

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2014
Denmark
**** you apple if this is true. 1 gb ram and 16 gb storage. Really? I'm sick of my iPad reloading sites when I have two dam tabs. What kind of experience is that?

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
No, its not the same. Spotify is 2014, not 1996.

Gosh man, you're really a brick wall aren't you...

1. With a radio service you have to have internet connection. Although often you do, you don't at all times, so you don't have music with you at all times.

2. You can't go pick the exact song you'd like to hear when you'd like to hear it.

3. You never can be sure you will like what plays next or that you will hear what you know you like anytime soon.

Having music with you is better. Listening to online radio is a DIFFERENT way of listening to music. Now this isn't to say I don't use or enjoy online radio, its just that it is not the same as the music with me at all times.

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014
Gosh man, you're really a brick wall aren't you...

1. With a radio service you have to have internet connection. Although often you do, you don't at all times, so you don't have music with you at all times.

2. You can't go pick the exact song you'd like to hear when you'd like to hear it.

3. You never can be sure you will like what plays next or that you will hear what you know you like anytime soon.

Having music with you is better. Listening to online radio is a DIFFERENT way of listening to music. Now this isn't to say I don't use or enjoy online radio, its just that it is not the same as the music with me at all times.

It is not radio. I hear exactly what I want and also load it down offline when I want. That is Spotify, not 1996. And I always have LTE signal...

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Simply put, it's not the same.

You don't need to tell me, but with my 16 gig phone, that's all I have. If Apple is going for the 16/64/128 scheme (and the iPhone 6 is decent enough on all other counts, mainly camera and display), you can bet your shakey tushy that I'm getting the 64 gig model.

If, OTOH, they still only offer 16/32/64, I'll either get the Galaxy Note 4 or stick with the base model and Spotify.

----------

Well, with Spotify (Premium, ten bucks a month) you can. You can even download your favorites as offline playlists.

Internet radio obviously is as you describe.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
If Apple is going for the 16/64/128 scheme...you can bet your shakey tushy that I'm getting the 64 gig model.

If, OTOH, they still only offer 16/32/64, I'll either get the Galaxy Note 4 or stick with the base model and Spotify.

So you're going to base your purchase decision on whether or not the 2014 iPhone lineup includes models in which you aren't even interested. I see...:confused:

mikeash

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2014
16GB is a pathetically small amount of storage these days. How much would it cost Apple to double that amount?

Not much, I'd guess.

Not for those of us who don't feel the need to carry our entire library of music, 25 movies and 45 games on our PHONE. I keep all my music on my iPod and couldn't care less about watching movies on a PHONE. 16GB is plenty for the casual user and there are more of us then there are of people like you :)

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
So you're going to base your purchase decision on whether or not the 2014 iPhone lineup includes models in which you aren't even interested. I see...:confused:

Why are you confused? I refuse to pay 100 euros to go from 16 to 32 GB, and I'm not happy with 16 GB and no expandable storage. OTOH, I think that an extra 100 euros is very much worth it for going from 16 to 64 geebees.

Of course, if the lineup is 16/32/64 with the price hike being 0/50/100 euros, I won't have any problems and I'll happily take the 64 GB model again.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
So your decision has nothing really to do with storage capacity and everything to do with price. Is saving 50 Euros really worth going to a Note?

Absolutely. Unless Apple manages to impress me properly with the iPhone 6, I'm so getting the Note 4. I'll keep my iPhone 5 as my personal device and get the Note 4 for business use. Unless Sammy pulls a double whammy and releases a dual-SIM Note 4, in which case I'd just "archive" my iPhone or give it to my kids to play with.

Anyway, I've just bought an iPad Air for my mom and set up a shared photostream so that she can see and print all the pics of her grand kids that she could ever ask for, so I'd really, really hate to not have an iPhone at hand, but I guess I could sync the photos on my iMac/Macbook... Oh, the first world problems... :)

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
4 dollars is a paltry fee to pay for 32 gb of storage instead of 16 gb. no arguments here.

except when you realize that extra 4 dollars is for every single phone they make which will be in the tens of millions. Now you know why Apple has so much cash.

So maybe they should cut the base model to 8 GB and keep the price at $199. They would make even more money that way! :p

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014
Damn you! :D

(Out of curiosity, where are you located?)

Denmark. A small country, but very well covered with LTE, and for me, worst case is 7-18 Mbps 3G when no LTE. But on my way to work, in the city and where my friends live, I have LTE. 10 GB data, 12 hours talk, unlimited SMS/MMS for like 20 dollars a month. You have to take into account that everything is more expensive in Denmark compared to the US, but maybe the carrier prices are more even?

SurfaceAndIPad

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2014
Given my situation that allows me to stream indiscriminately (Work issued and unlimited Data iPhone) I don't even come close to using up my 16 gigs but I think it's a mistake to have a modern flagship phone have anything less than 32 gigs. High end iOS games are pushing a gig each these days.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Denmark. A small country, but very well covered with LTE, and for me, worst case is 7-18 Mbps 3G when no LTE. But on my way to work, in the city and where my friends live, I have LTE. 10 GB data, 12 hours talk, unlimited SMS/MMS for like 20 dollars a month. You have to take into account that everything is more expensive in Denmark compared to the US, but maybe the carrier prices are more even?

That cell plan is a good bit cheaper, we pay ~8X times that for two unlimited plans with 6Gb shared data :eek:

The main issue here is the huge geography, so while the coverage continues to improve, there are some janky areas, combined with the cost of data, continuous streaming would be a mix of high costs + inconsistent bandwidth/availability.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
16GB? 2012 called and they want their RAM back lol.

No way Apple will ship a fancy new phone with a paltry 16.

32 or higher only.

It's not RAM, and be prepared for a 16gb iPhone 6 as the base model

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
It's not read only memory. ROM can't be written (as in CDROM).

It’s not ROM ... otherwise, how could I _write_ photos or music to the device. :D

It’s storage. Read and write flash storage. :) (it’s analogous to a hard drive or a little more accurate, an SSD)

It is definitely not about ROM either.. Think about what you wrote: read ONLY ;)

Actually it IS ROM. There are MANY types of ROM- some rewritable, some not. PROM for instance, is Programmable ROM, and can only be written to once. Flash memory is a form of EEPROM (electrically erasable programmable ROM), whereas CD-ROM is compact disc ROM (but is still rewritable depending on the substrate).

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
16, 64, and 128 make perfect sense. Apple will have way more profits this way as most people will be willing to pay the extra 100$ for an extra 48 GB of storage.

If the base model was 32 Gb I would not pay more money for more storage. With 16 GB being the base, this is like a 100$ price increase for the iphone.

This would make sense. If 64 was 100 dollars I could do it. Zero chance I play 100 for 16 more GBs though.

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
I'm sorry but 16GB has almost nothing to do with music. I mean I have 16 now and I sync a small playlist that takes up barely any room. Space is mostly occupied by apps, pictures, and recorded videos (bc god only knows where they all are and how many duplicates exist between my camera roll, photo stream, shared photo streams). So I use dropbox camera upload and manually delete photos from my camera roll periodically because I cannot for the life of me figure out Apple's photo management.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Those people don't need an iPhone. What's the use of getting an iPhone and using it basically as a feature phone?

you can use it like an iphone just fine with 16 GB, even 8 GB, you can't just go crazy on huge apps, giant music libraries, or videos. you can browse the web, stream music and use maps just fine with almost no storage use.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
you can use it like an iphone just fine with 16 GB, even 8 GB, you can't just go crazy on huge apps, giant music libraries, or videos. you can browse the web, stream music and use maps just fine with almost no storage use.

Yep, plus Facebook, Twitter, browse photo streams/order photos, remote an AppleTV, stream podcasts, reminders, calendar, reminders, FaceTime A/V, run tons of non-storage intensive apps like Starbucks, Instagram, Amazon, PayPal, Ebay, etc.

A 16GB iOS device isn’t even in the same ballpark as a “feature phone”. :cool:

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
I honestly think that the only reason Apple ships 8GB and 16GB devices in 2014 is so that ignorant people buy them without realizing how constraining that amount of space is, and then in a year when they run out of space they are more motivated to upgrade their phone.

It's all about planned obsolescence. And it's obscene.

It wouldn't be so bad if at least they charged a reasonable amount for upgrading - maybe $50 per capacity bump instead of $100.

I sure hope that if they are offering 16GB, 64GB and 128GB, they are only charging $100 to upgrade to 64, and not an extra $200. This would be reminiscent of what they did when they first launched the iPod Touch 4th Generation, with options in 8GB and 32GB. I bet tons of people got 8GB iPod Touches as gifts and had to run out and upgrade to 32 so they could at least store some music on it.

Ignorant? Myself, and everyone I know with an iPhone have chosen to stay with the 16 GB phones. We are not 'ignorant' we know what the memory sizes are and just don't need more memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.