Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
This isn't confusing...

Apple is doing away with the 32 GB model.

16 GB model is over 50% of sales, and the margin leader. Many people (not Macrumors readers) opt for whatever the cheapest is, because they couldn't care less about storage. Apple isn't going to give these people free storage and lose money on them.

iPhone 6 lineup will be as follows:

4.7" iPhone 6
16 GB $199
64 GB $299
128 GB $399

5.5" iPhone 6
16 GB $299
64 GB $399
128 GB $499

Given the rumors, and what I know about Apple, I'd be very surprised if this ^ were not 100% accurate.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Logic Board Shown With 16 GB Flash Storage

Those people don't need an iPhone. What's the use of getting an iPhone and using it basically as a feature phone?

I don't need an iPhone because I don't need more than 16 GB of storage? Pardon me, but you are an idiot.

----------

I was hoping 16GB would fall away, and we'd be at 32,64,128... But...

Apple is doing what will make them the most money, the 16GB will sell the most, and Apple will spend less than they would if they had to supply 32GB in each phone.

And if most people are happy with their 16GB iPhones why shouldn't Apple do what makes them the most money?

Last edited:

AEdouard

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2014
Montreal
Well, 64 gb as the middle option is clearly better than 32 GB, but of course I would have loved to have 32 as the base model. The problem for Apple is that of course way too many people are like me. They would make way less money as most people feel 32 Gb is plenty, especially with the increase in cloud storage and music streaming.

----------

Not for those of us who don't feel the need to carry our entire library of music, 25 movies and 45 games on our PHONE. I keep all my music on my iPod and couldn't care less about watching movies on a PHONE. 16GB is plenty for the casual user and there are more of us then there are of people like you :)

I do feel 16 GB is a bit tight even for the semi casual user. At least Apple doesn't eat an unreasonable amount of storage with the OS (Samsung is insane on that front). But once you have some music, a apps, photos and a few videos/movies on there (which take the most, of course) you get pretty quickly to the 13.5 or something that is available for storage. I used to have a 32 GB 5s and now have a 16 GB Nexus 5 (left the other phone in a cab). I do have to be pretty careful with my GBs. Something I never had to care about with my iPhone.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
16 = Barely Enough

I really wish I could attend the unveiling of the iPhone 6...because I would BOO and HECKEL Tim Cook if he tries to pitch the crowd a "base" iPhone with 16GB.

They've had 16GB has the base long enough; it's time to up the storage because movies, pictures, apps....heck everything is taking more space now then 4-5 years ago when they started with 16GB.

It'll be really annoying also because Apple tries to position itself as a luxury brand but the next gen iPhone with 16GB is like BMW with 80HP. We buy iPhone because we want the best...so GIVE US THE BEST!

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
next gen iPhone with 16GB is like BMW with 80HP. We buy iPhone because we want the best...so GIVE US THE BEST!

Actually, a 16 GB iphone is like a porsche with a small trunk, you can do awesome things, just not a lot of storage space. you want the best? pay a little more, and you get a bigger trunk, without the drawbacks of getting a bigger car as well.

With streaming music becoming more popular, I see no reason to even have 16 GB as a base model, many people I know would do just fine with 8 GB. you can get a bunch of apps on there and still fit a couple favorite albums on there and still have room for a couple tv shows or movies.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
What's up with you Apple?! It's annoying enough not to be able to pop an SD card in, but 32gb ought to be the base model!

You think that not being able to pop an SD card in is annoying?
I'm about to write a petition to have them add support for floppy disks and magnetic tapes!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
This isn't confusing...

Apple is doing away with the 32 GB model.

16 GB model is over 50% of sales, and the margin leader. Many people (not Macrumors readers) opt for whatever the cheapest is, because they couldn't care less about storage. Apple isn't going to give these people free storage and lose money on them.

iPhone 6 lineup will be as follows:

4.7" iPhone 6
16 GB $199
64 GB $299
128 GB $399

5.5" iPhone 6
16 GB $299
64 GB $399
128 GB $499

Given the rumors, and what I know about Apple, I'd be very surprised if this ^ were not 100% accurate.

IPhone 5S 16GB at $99.
IPhone 5S 32GB at $199

With the above, now the 32gb old gen, doesnt overlap with 32gb new gen.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
My old iPhone 3G from 2008 has the same amount of storage
than the new standard iPhone 6 will have in 2014, almost 7 years later.

It's just laughable at this point.

the leaders of innovation are stuck in the past

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
iTunes? Does that still exist? First person in years I have heard using iTunes.

The cloud/streaming ftw. I have LTE everywhere I go (European country).

I don't use iTunes a lot either, but then again, I have a 64 GB. I plugged it once and put all my stuff and it's over.

If I had 16 GB, it would be hell on earth to always have to manage my stuff all the time.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
The counterpoint to those saying that 16GB is not enough storage is that advances in cloud services should help us free space on our devices.

In reality, that may not be the case depending on your particular use case.
I hate to say it, but my 64GB is currently going to waste, 37.8 available currently, since I turned on iTunes Match and finally cleared out a couple big apps I don't use. Can't go back to 16, though. 32 could be enough, if it exists.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
16GB? 2012 called and they want their RAM back lol.

No way Apple will ship a fancy new phone with a paltry 16.

32 or higher only.

>_> It's NAND not RAM =P

But I agree.

Except that my 16GB 2012 iPhone 5 really needs to be a 32 GB 2012 iP5.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Logic Board Shown With 16 GB Flash Storage

I don't understand comments like this. Why does it matter if there's a 16GB version on the table? There are a TON of people that are perfectly content with 16GB. Why would they cut that option off? If you need more space, go for the higher capacity version. Not sure why it matters to some people that they put out a 16GB version when there are clearly people that go through that route.

Are you serious right now? Did it ever occur to you that people are forced to buy the 16GB model because it is the cheapest model available and not everyone wants or can afford to pay an extra $100 to get the 32GB version? Nobody decides to buy a 'smaller' capacity phone by choice. If Apple offered both the 16GB and the 32GB models at the same price, which one do you think people will choose? Come on dude. Think about what you are saying.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
God I hope this is wrong, Apple can't be this greedy can they? Everyone else now puts 32 GB in their high end phones does Apple really want to be this far behind? Come on, when the OS takes up 1/5th of the 16GB it's just stupid of them to not offer users more useable space, especially with megapixels growing over the past few years and more people shooting video. Not to mention games and apps using more space. Not even talking about music yet! Also you need what 3-4 GB free to do an update! So they are saying we (Apple) need 7-8 GB reserved for OS and updates, so you only get 8GB. Come on Apple don't be cheap! At least don't charge 100 bucks for just more memory! That's just highway robbery!

Supacon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
Canada
Ignorant? Myself, and everyone I know with an iPhone have chosen to stay with the 16 GB phones. We are not 'ignorant' we know what the memory sizes are and just don't need more memory.

I wasn't calling everyone who purchases a 16GB model 'ignorant', but surely lots of people are ignorant of how much space will actually be required by the quantity of photos, music, apps, and other things that they will have on their phone after several months of use. If you know full well that you don't need much on your phone, and you are positive that 16GB is sufficient, then clearly you're not ignorant of that. I think a lot of people are not cognisant of their storage requirements; such was the case with my sister, for instance. She was constantly finding herself with insufficient storage merely from taking photos with her 8GB iPhone 3GS.

Side note: A lot of people erroneously think that the term 'ignorant' is synonymous with 'moron'. It is not. It merely means one who does not know something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.