Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I don't recall...

it wasn't horrible though, like maybe standard fare decent 5G, just a bit under 100, but certainly not 1000mbps

Well there you go 1/10 of 1000 Mbps just like I wanted at least minimum!

More than enough to stream 4k video! I know no mobile device has a 4k screen or resolution. Idc.

I remember when I was in Waco I saw AT&T working!

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
thadoggfather do you think anyone really needs Gigabits speeds on a phone or tablet ? Just asking. I know it is nice to have but is it really required?

Does anyone really download content on their mobile devices ? I know I really don't unless app updates count sometimes.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
thadoggfather do you think anyone really needs Gigabits speeds on a phone or tablet ? Just asking. I know it is nice to have but is it really required?

Does anyone really download content on their mobile devices ? I know I really don't unless app updates count sometimes.
No

I think it’s corporate created demand not consumer demand

a perk may be less congestion than LTE since fewer 5g devices than LTE. but in time that will be moot too

I have gigabit at home and wireless ac and get in the 200-300 range. Max low 400 I think

my needs aren’t that great. Those speeds are absurd for a phone especially

but mWave / 5G+ could be really handy for densely populated events where it’s normally connected and still no internet or like edge speeds.

I appreciate and prefer the radio is Qualcomm vs intel in 7-8–X-XS-XR-11-11Pro

I know some 7-8-X are QC but I had the att gsm only variant

thats just my opinion

Reactions: sparksd and max2

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
No

a perk may be less congestion than LTE since fewer 5g devices than LTE. but in time that will be moot too

I have gigabit at home and wireless ac and get in the 200-300 range. Max low 400 I think

but mWave / 5G+ could be really handy for densely populated events where it’s normally connected and still no internet or like edge speeds.

thats just my opinion

Totally agree!

What is the minimum speed you think a phone or tablet needs to be useful while using the internet on it?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Ever since Verizon turned on their nationwide 5G, their speeds have really sucked where I use it most. Doesn't matter if I'm using LTE or 5G, everything's just bad now. I used to get at least 15 Mbps consistently with Verizon but now I'm lucky if I can get 10 Mbps.

Meanwhile, both AT&T and T-Mobile have improved.

Reactions: max2

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
No

thats just my opinion

I'd agree. On my home WiFi I get 500-600Mbps (xfinity) on my iPad Pro and 12 Pro Max. Can I tell the difference between that and when I had say, 100Mbps? Nope.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Ever since Verizon turned on their nationwide 5G, their speeds have really sucked where I use it most. Doesn't matter if I'm using LTE or 5G, everything's just bad now. I used to get at least 15 Mbps consistently with Verizon but now I'm lucky if I can get 10 Mbps.

Meanwhile, both AT&T and T-Mobile have improved.

When I tried Verizon a long while ago I noticed the same thing about their speed :(

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I'd agree. On my home WiFi I get 500-600Mbps (xfinity) on my iPad Pro and 12 Pro Max. Can I tell the difference between that and when I had say, 100Mbps? Nope.

Of course not no one is ever downloading on their iPad or iPhone.

Just normal stuff. Streaming, surfing the internet, and maybe uploading ever now and then data to backup to icloud of course like the mobile devices does by default.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

right, for web browsing and YouTube and such, doesn't really matter

where speed differences are appreciable is with a sustained throughput like really large files.

how often is one downloading a 50GB file on their phone? How big is their data cap before throttling, or overages?

Totally agree!

What is the minimum speed you think a phone or tablet needs to be useful while using the internet on it?

I dont really have a strong opinion on the matter. I think latency is more important than raw speeds in general, assuming minimum requirement Is met

maybe like 20-30mbps with decent latency? I mean more is always better but,

5G in my area is usually double that.

I wouldn’t recommend get a 12 for 5g. It would have to be for other reasons , and 5g just a pack in bonus. I think that’s the best way to view it

but I was hot and bothered by LTE at inception, and faux G HSPA, and 3G

at this point , eh.

where I really appreciate my 12 pro is ram utilization

pages and videos stay in memory impressively long. Dunno if lucky or iOS 14.1 I’m still on has great memory management or what, but 6gb can’t hurt

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Yep. This is really where it's most useful.

At my workplace, AT&T 5G gets double the speed of AT&T LTE/5Ge/fake 5G (~30 vs ~15 Mbps).

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010

You'd be surprised how little speeds with decent latency can still feel usable. AT&T and Cricket both ran 3Mbps-capped plans for awhile (Cricket still has 8Mbps on a majority of its plans) and it was quite usable for most browsing/streaming/etc. as the latency in most places was still 20-30ms. The part where it felt "bad" was downloading large amounts of data (app updates over the air) or if you tried to force video to 720p or more (then again, most carriers do a video throttle of some sort to prevent that and force 480p or "DVD quality"). Compare that with a 3-5Mbps DSL connection with 150ms latency and the two feel like entirely different connections. It's the difference between web pages loading instantly or feeling like you're watching them draw.

Verizon's Visible service originally started with a 5Mbps speed cap, but has always had latency issues in some parts of the country (due to their cloud infrastructure that is separate from "regular" Verizon), so some faster connections feel slower there.

From what I've seen, 10Mbps is enough to do 1080p video comfortably, and I think I saw somewhere that 24Mbps is about the level for 4K. While I'm not saying everyone should have the absolutely slowest speeds, the marketing for home ISPs has really warped expectations that everyone needs 1Gbps coming into their homes.

The part where the faster speeds really helps with mobile networks (and the connection feeding those towers) is when you start to get a lot of people connected to a site. If you look at a mmWave site in a public area, it can handle a lot more phones before everyone starts feeling like speeds are unusable.

Reactions: sparksd

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
right, for web browsing and YouTube and such, doesn't really matter

where speed differences are appreciable is with a sustained throughput like really large files.

how often is one downloading a 50GB file on their phone? How big is their data cap before throttling, or overages?

I dont really have a strong opinion on the matter. I think latency is more important than raw speeds in general, assuming minimum requirement Is met

maybe like 20-30mbps with decent latency? I mean more is always better but,

5G in my area is usually double that.

I wouldn’t recommend get a 12 for 5g. It would have to be for other reasons , and 5g just a pack in bonus. I think that’s the best way to view it

but I was hot and bothered by LTE at inception, and faux G HSPA, and 3G

at this point , eh.

where I really appreciate my 12 pro is ram utilization

pages and videos stay in memory impressively long. Dunno if lucky or iOS 14.1 I’m still on has great memory management or what, but 6gb can’t hurt

Even for large file downloads, I find that the bottleneck most often is on the server side and the data pipe is oversized. With the 12 Pro Max I do see significantly faster network speeds when it registers a 5G signal here in the Seattle area but it can be spotty as we have so many hills causing signal shadowing.

treimche

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
This was from a little over a week ago in Las Vegas hanging out at Beer Park, across the strip from the Bellagio fountains BDD7C8A9-14D8-4DD9-A179-89D54F6DC68B.png

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
5G still in its infancy. We’ve seen some improvement however in order to get 5G mmWave you have to be in a big city and outside and most important of all be near a 5G tower

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I think this is decent for non-mmWave 5G. Best I’ve seen for me thus far, usually it’s 200-300 Mbps (UK on EE).

Attachments

• 2CA813D3-8560-46EC-9B89-82E0288A2EFC.jpeg
    2CA813D3-8560-46EC-9B89-82E0288A2EFC.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 109

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Curious question do you all think these speeds on 5G will last once everyone gets a 5G phone in 10 years or less ? Maybe I am making it to quick when everyone will have a 5G phone.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Curious question do you all think these speeds on 5G will last once everyone gets a 5G phone in 10 years or less ? Maybe I am making it to quick when everyone will have a 5G phone.
If we're looking at the 3G->LTE transition, I'd presume that over time, carriers would shift spectrum from LTE to 5G to handle the changing balance of users. T-Mobile did that in a lot of places with 3G, where you'd enter have LTE or 2G for coverage. AT&T took some of their old 2G spectrum (850MHz) and repurposed it for LTE (Band 5) in a few places where it was needed.

jay968

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2019
California
I was listening yesterday to the local all news radio station and there was someone talking about 6G coming within the next 10 years. He said that this would create unbelievable opportunities to do things that only science fiction currently addresses now. Seems I heard that when people first started talking about 5G.
The problem with tech nowadays is we get a bunch of promises, it takes a good 10 years to work through all the shortcoming and bugs to get it to just about work the way it was promised and something new comes along with its own shortcomings and bugs. It's a constant game of catchup.

I'd be happy if the industry had stayed on analog and just given us 100% reliable phone calls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.