Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
Correct no taig icon. New version of taig came out yesterday I think it was 1.2 but only thing that changed is you can remove Chinese AppStore from cydia now if you forget to uncheck it. Best of luck it was very easy. I always set up as new so that's my biggest pain...

The only version Im seeing on TaiG's web site is TaiGJBreak_1021 is that the one? I dont see Version 1.2 here..Good, no icon for TaiG that is good..and Safari won't show up in Chinese or anything like that? And on my iPad Air 2 I will just have to turn on Airplane Mode, turn OFF Touch ID and turn OFF Passcode(Will turn on Airplane mode on my Ipod Touch)

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
The only version Im seeing on TaiG's web site is TaiGJBreak_1021 is that the one? I dont see Version 1.2 here..Good, no icon for TaiG that is good..and Safari won't show up in Chinese or anything like that? And on my iPad Air 2 I will just have to turn on Airplane Mode, turn OFF Touch ID and turn OFF Passcode(Will turn on Airplane mode on my Ipod Touch)

Yep that's prolly it I'm at work so just have my phone. Here's a YouTube video and instructions I looked at.

http://www.redsn0w.us/2014/11/how-to-jailbreak-ios-811-using-taig-on.html?m=1

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
Yep that's prolly it I'm at work so just have my phone. Here's a YouTube video and instructions I looked at.

http://www.redsn0w.us/2014/11/how-to-jailbreak-ios-811-using-taig-on.html?m=1

Thank U so much really appreciate it :) I had before Barrel and Springtomize(I only used Springtomize to do the cover flow cause I thought that was cool) the only issue I had before with the Pangu jailbreak(Not sure if it had anything to do with the cydia apps I had) was that sometimes the iPad would boot loop, sometimes once, sometimes twice, the most three times but it would always load
Edit: The video that Im viewing now, it doesnt mention anything about turning OFF Touch ID and Passcode..but I assume that its necessary regardless

djbroak

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2011
Still going strong?

Haven't seen a lot of chatter on this thread regarding the new jailbreak. Is it working that well that everyone has no issues? I've JB my IPhone 5s and it's smooth like butta. Maybe just wanted to bump the thread. HAHA

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I think people need to just get used to the trend that a Mac version may not be readily available.

I have all Macs, but using a virtual PC isn't hard. Or a friends computer, or one at work.

rdcrds

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
Can I use this to jail break my iPad air 2? I really want xbmc on my tablet. I have not jail broken this iPhone 6 plus yet but I really want xbmc on the iPad air 2. And if so I have not even took the air out of the box yet so if so what do I do first. Thanks

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
I was able to use a virtual machine with windows 8.1 with no problems. Both my phones were OTA'd to 8.1.1 and so far everything is running perfectly. I don't have much installed, just the things I need and I have no complaints. Battery life is just as good as it was before I jailbroken.

richfount61

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
Cydia substrate ?

Hi I jailbroke my wife's ipad 3 with the latest taig and after going in to cydia I noticed that cydia substrate was missing. Every time I try to install a tweak it says that I need cydia substrate. Anyone else had this? Any help very much appreciated

djbroak

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2011
Security

Just to pick a few of your brains who have JB.....are any of you doing anything to make access more secure. I saw on a few websites where people were changing passwords after jailbreaking to tighten security. I was unsure what passwords they were talking about. Just curious if anyone is doing anything after the jailbreak. Thanks.

Last edited:

djbroak

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2011
Hi I jailbroke my wife's ipad 3 with the latest taig and after going in to cydia I noticed that cydia substrate was missing. Every time I try to install a tweak it says that I need cydia substrate. Anyone else had this? Any help very much appreciated

Maybe try and rejailbreak? Did you upgrade to 8.1.1 OTA or via ITunes? Don't think it makes too much difference, but I've seen different opinions from others on how they upgraded to the new iOS version. I personally updated my IPhone 5s thru ITunes to 8.1.1 after backing up my phone, and then ran Taig and it was smooth with no complications. Cydia substrate installed fine for me, but maybe it has happened to someone else here that can give any input.

Edit: See Titans 1127 post above....they updated OTA and everything running fine. May try the rejailbreak first.

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
Just to pick a few of your brains who have JB.....are any of you doing anything to make access more secure. I saw on a few websites where people were changing passwords after jailbreaking to tighten security. I was unsure what passwords they were talking about. Just curious if anyone is doing anything after the jailbreak. Thanks.

your device's root password is set by default to 'alpine'

You will need to install openssh and mterminal. you can then use mterminal and run the following commands to change your password:

su -
when prompted for the password, type: alpine
passwd
when prompted for new password enter what password you would like to change it to, enter it again to confirm.

richfount61

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014
Maybe try and rejailbreak? Did you upgrade to 8.1.1 OTA or via ITunes? Don't think it makes too much difference, but I've seen different opinions from others on how they upgraded to the new iOS version. I personally updated my IPhone 5s thru ITunes to 8.1.1 after backing up my phone, and then ran Taig and it was smooth with no complications. Cydia substrate installed fine for me, but maybe it has happened to someone else here that can give any input.

Edit: See Titans 1127 post above....they updated OTA and everything running fine. May try the rejailbreak first.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I updated via iTunes after backing up and ran taig as you did. How strange. I will try again as I have since reverted back to an unjailbroken device.
Just a thought, which version of taig jailbreak did you use?

djbroak

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2011
your device's root password is set by default to 'alpine'

You will need to install openssh and mterminal. you can then use mterminal and run the following commands to change your password:

su -
when prompted for the password, type: alpine
passwd
when prompted for new password enter what password you would like to change it to, enter it again to confirm.

Thanks for the reply. Reading more of this online I see the root password you recommend. I also saw where it was recommended to change your 'mobile password.' These password changes I assume have nothing to do with Apple ID etc. Mostly I'm seeing to change the root password, but curious is anyone has heard of the 'mobile password' some were mentioning to change, or is that overkill? TIA

----------

Hi, thanks for your reply. I updated via iTunes after backing up and ran taig as you did. How strange. I will try again as I have since reverted back to an unjailbroken device.
Just a thought, which version of taig jailbreak did you use?

On the website, it is listed as V1.1.0 at 47.8 MB. The downloaded .exe file is names 'TaiGJBreak_1021' if that helps.

dlmart2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2007
Thanks for the reply. Reading more of this online I see the root password you recommend. I also saw where it was recommended to change your 'mobile password.' These password changes I assume have nothing to do with Apple ID etc. Mostly I'm seeing to change the root password, but curious is anyone has heard of the 'mobile password' some were mentioning to change, or is that overkill? TIA

that is the root password, and has nothing to do with iCloud or your apple id.

richfount61

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2014

----------

On the website, it is listed as V1.1.0 at 47.8 MB. The downloaded .exe file is names 'TaiGJBreak_1021' if that helps.

Thanks for that. It's the same as the one I used. Will try it again tomorrow.

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine

You should change the password for user mobile at the time you change root's pwd. Neither have anything to do with your Apple Id. Changing these pwd's protects your device from unwanted remote access.

I downloaded TaiG v1.2.0 (TaiGJBreak_EN_1201.zip) today and jailbroke iOS 8.1.2. So far, no probs.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.