Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
Can somebody shead some light on why this feature is missing on older models? I understand it wasn't ready for 17.0, which was optimized for new iPhone models. But in 17.1 I really thought they would add this to all iPhones and iPads. It seems like a trivial function to add, or am I missing something and there are actually some hardware constraints?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I can't say why as I don't know why and I don't speak for Apple. But, I think it's a thing now because people obsessed about batteries made it a thing.

My 11 Pro Max and my 6s+ have optimized charging and I do have it on. Other than that I have never worried about my battery health.

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
Is it maybe because the older models will already have naturally aged batteries that will already have a lower capacity due to age and use. So by implementing 80% on an already well used battery they could be kneecapping those models battery life? I’m not sure.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Is it maybe because the older models will already have naturally aged batteries that will already have a lower capacity due to age and use. So by implementing 80% on an already well used battery they could be kneecapping those models battery life? I’m not sure.
It could also be to encourage potential buyers to spring for the latest phones. I just bought a NIB iPhone 13 from Best Buy.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The Title and the OP question is about the hard 80% charging limit option available on iPhone 15 models only.
Other members replied talking about Optimized Charging which is something different and available for older iPhones.

We’ll never know the real answer to this question. Cynics will say that it’s just an artificially limited feature on the 15, while others might say that the charging circuit needed a hardware change.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Apple still sells older models brand new. Carriers still sell iPhone 12 brand new. So that can't be the reason.

1698348109262.png

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Can somebody shead some light on why this feature is missing on older models? I understand it wasn't ready for 17.0, which was optimized for new iPhone models. But in 17.1 I really thought they would add this to all iPhones and iPads. It seems like a trivial function to add, or am I missing something and there are actually some hardware constraints?

Reason: Feature rationing.

Even iPhone 6S supports Optimized Battery Charging. In other words, iOS uses a fancy algorithm to stop at 80% overnight. So there's absolutely no reason why it can't stop charging at a simple 80%.

Zaydax333

macrumors member
May 25, 2021
As a computer engineer, I'm genuinely confused as to why it didn't come to more recent devices.

This is a feature that is super easy from a software perspective. It is also not a feature that you can really market in a sense to entice people to upgrade, so there's no sense in gatekeeping it.
Same with the battery cycle information you can see in the 15s.

This is the type of feature that is a small nice little touch that is a no-brainer for apple to add to older iPhones. But for some reason, they haven't, and no one can seem to figure it out for sure.

Apple being Apple probably has a reason they think is good enough. Whether we as a consumer base would agree that's a good reason is a different story.

Best case scenario: it actually is a hardware change in addition to the firmware & software.
Worst case scenario: they have some dumb reason for not doing it.
Wild case scenario: Lightning isn't capable of doing it properly so it's limited to USB C iPhones.

Side note: What about iPads then?! Eh not as big of a deal IMO. iPads generally have pretty good battery life and aren't charged as frequently (because they're used less on average probably in most cases) so they don't really benefit from extra battery protections like this. Sure it would be nice if you had the option at least, and in an ideal world we would, but I'm not surprised it's not on iPads (or Macbooks for that matter).

C'est la vie. No reason to lose sleep over it quite frankly.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Optimized Battery Charging only works when the OS is booted up.
The 80% hard stop available on the 15 models works even when the phone is turned off but plugged in.

That requires a hardware change.

Apple can put in a disclaimer "just like alarms, this feature may not work if your iPhone is turned off."

Reactions: missingar

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It may because the iPhone isn’t able to detect the battery level?

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
To make these complex calculations you need an A17 Pro...that or they just want to force you to upgrade. Just like S7 Watches are able to use namedrop bit S6 cannot. If you did not know S7 is a S6 in disguise. Stagemanager all over again.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Of course, no hardware constraints at all. Clearly it is only for the sake of differentiation for the 15 models.

If even the iPhone X can use optimized charging, setting a temporary limit to 80%, setting a permanent limit to 80% is even easier both in terms of programming and of hardware requirements.

It might come to the older models later when the feature loses leverage.

Last edited:

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Optimized Battery Charging only works when the OS is booted up.
The 80% hard stop available on the 15 models works even when the phone is turned off but plugged in.

That requires a hardware change.
The average users only rarely turns off and leaves their iPhone off.

Charging while the device is off happens even less often as it requires the user initiating the charging while the device is on and then shutting it off while its still charging.

The fact that older iPhones don't have the hardware to limit charging while off would just get mentioned in the little "explainer" paragraph below each menu item when enabling the 80% hard limit.

Bigkool2inSC

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2023
Greenville, SC
Any code has to be written to be backward compatible for hardware, the phone model, chip, battery.
it really just sounds like the team that wrote this code doesn't want to write it to backward compatible.
(or weren't asked to by their leadership)

They were told to write this code for the iPhone 15 models only and never had plans make it work with older phones.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
One day Apple will give us an iPhone that has every feature you could ever want. They’ll push the boundaries as hard as they can to get you the best product that can be made. That’s just the company they are.

I joke

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
Apple’s battery optimization features are dumbed-down and miss easy low-hanging fruit. You can easily beat them by setting up your own custom charging optimization with a smartplug + shortcut automation, and if that’s too hard, then a Chargie.org USB dongle w/app is simple and foolproof.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.