Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Contributor
May 11, 2016
Talk about strange.. my 2015 MBP stopped charging over 80% right after a software update. I'm like WTF... my daughter's 2014 MBP's were fine. So I go digging around, of course Apple isn't going to answer you and the software they point you to change doesn't exist in Ventura. Irksome, but OK, I can live with it. Then all of a sudden, my daughter borrowing my laptop says it's dying at 20%. I had the battery replaced in 2021 (cycle count was obviously low) so after researching ... it's sent out now to be looked at. Yeah, I know batteries go bad, but Coconut shows the battery status fine. I tried reloading the OS, resetting the battery via the ifixit instructions, no joy. Really strange. I don't want to dump more than like $250 into this thing. But I'm wondering if it's an Apple firmware screwup that they're not fessing up to.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
‘I doubt it. Again you insinuate that people are obsessive if they want to prolong their battery life.

Some seem to just enjoy confrontations.
I am neither insinuating or implying. I am stating.

It's one thing to ask and have concern about battery life and to engage in a process that preserves that battery life. If that's a thing for people, particularly if they want to sell their phone on I don't care. But a concern or worry to the point beyond normal wear is obsession. It's the same group of people that want replacement phones because of scratching. In this case, the obsession often comes on when battery life hits 99%. Because it must be perfect for sale. And perfect is 100% of battery life whenever they go to sell the device.

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Contributor
May 11, 2016
I am neither insinuating or implying. I am stating.

It's one thing to ask and have concern about battery life and to engage in a process that preserves that battery life. If that's a thing for people, particularly if they want to sell their phone on I don't care. But a concern or worry to the point beyond normal wear is obsession. It's the same group of people that want replacement phones because of scratching. In this case, the obsession often comes on when battery life hits 99%. Because it must be perfect for sale. And perfect is 100% of battery life whenever they go to sell the device.
To me it’s simple: you don’t want scratches, put a case and a screen protector on it. I have screen protectors on the lenses.. they’re an expensive fix.

Reactions: eyoungren

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Contributor
May 11, 2016
Talk about strange.. my 2015 MBP stopped charging over 80% right after a software update. I'm like WTF... my daughter's 2014 MBP's were fine. So I go digging around, of course Apple isn't going to answer you and the software they point you to change doesn't exist in Ventura. Irksome, but OK, I can live with it. Then all of a sudden, my daughter borrowing my laptop says it's dying at 20%. I had the battery replaced in 2021 (cycle count was obviously low) so after researching ... it's sent out now to be looked at. Yeah, I know batteries go bad, but Coconut shows the battery status fine. I tried reloading the OS, resetting the battery via the ifixit instructions, no joy. Really strange. I don't want to dump more than like $250 into this thing. But I'm wondering if it's an Apple firmware screwup that they're not fessing up to.
Just FYI .. bad battery

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
To me it’s simple: you don’t want scratches, put a case and a screen protector on it. I have screen protectors on the lenses.. they’re an expensive fix.
There is a middle ground, at least with cases. I don't want scratches either, but I accept that wear and tear (and scratches) is part of normal use without a case. I don't abuse my phones and I have long established a series of 'rules' for myself that allow me to use my phone without a case while minimizing risk as much as I can. I have dropped phones twice since 2012 that required replacement. But scratches do not overly bother me. In a way, and I'm sure only for me, it makes my phone unique. Only I have that pattern of scratches (if I have any at all).

Battery is the same way. I don't worry about it. I accept that it's going to degrade and I replace when necessary. I want to use my phone, not worry about how much battery life that use is killing off.

Reactions: Dr_Charles_Forbin

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Contributor
May 11, 2016
There is a middle ground, at least with cases. I don't want scratches either, but I accept that wear and tear (and scratches) is part of normal use without a case. I don't abuse my phones and I have long established a series of 'rules' for myself that allow me to use my phone without a case while minimizing risk as much as I can. I have dropped phones twice since 2012 that required replacement. But scratches do not overly bother me. In a way, and I'm sure only for me, it makes my phone unique. Only I have that pattern of scratches (if I have any at all).

Battery is the same way. I don't worry about it. I accept that it's going to degrade and I replace when necessary. I want to use my phone, not worry about how much battery life that use is killing off.
You want that Zebra phone, huh? (Unique set of stripes that are only yours?) 😂 I’m not overly concerned with extending battery life either, but I do have have this nagging feeling if my phone isn’t 100% charged. I don’t mind Apple limiting my charging rate if it will help extend the battery life.. I turn it off if I know I’m going to be disconnected for an entire day (I ran out of battery once picking up my daughter in NYC and just kept circling the block until she showed up (didn’t have a car charger in that car), now I make sure I have an external battery with me if I’m going to be away from a charging source) just in case. My wife good naturedly harasses me if I put my phone on the charger in the car when it’s at 100%.. but I know that Apple is limiting my charging rate so I really don’t care

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You want that Zebra phone, huh? (Unique set of stripes that are only yours?) 😂 I’m not overly concerned with extending battery life either, but I do have have this nagging feeling if my phone isn’t 100% charged. I don’t mind Apple limiting my charging rate if it will help extend the battery life.. I turn it off if I know I’m going to be disconnected for an entire day (I ran out of battery once picking up my daughter in NYC and just kept circling the block until she showed up (didn’t have a car charger in that car), now I make sure I have an external battery with me if I’m going to be away from a charging source) just in case. My wife good naturedly harasses me if I put my phone on the charger in the car when it’s at 100%.. but I know that Apple is limiting my charging rate so I really don’t care
There was a short period of time in May of 2009 when I was aghast at the battery life of my first smartphone (an HTC Touch Pro). I had become used to two or three days of battery life from a Sanyo Katana flip phone and other flip phones before that. So, I simply started putting my phone on charger at night. I don't turn my phone off at night because I want a fully charged phone if there is any sort of emergency. I also want it to be charged fully when I grab it in the morning.

So that's pretty much my routine: on charger at night, off charger in the morning. Unless I need to charge during the day, I'm rarely looking at the battery status at all. I work from home and only leave the house for a couple of hours a day so this works out. My phones are also not used as substitutes for computers, media devices, etc so the battery is rarely taxed. Even before WFH though I had powered USB hubs at work and my phone(s) got plugged in there if they needed a charge.

Nowhere that I go is anything more than 30 minutes distance from home and that is intentional on our part. We do have USB chargers in the car but these are rarely used. So again, I'm not worrying about battery.

And yeah, a zebra phone. It adds character I think. Even if it doesn't though, it's not a big deal to me. My phones/devices are used and that's what they're there for - to be used.

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
One argument here is also, that 15 PM for example has an oversized battery for most daily use.

So you can consider 80% to be the new 100%. If necessary, you can safely overcharge to 100% and use the extra energy on days when travelling or expecting it won't be possible to recharge.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
One argument here is also, that 15 PM for example has an oversized battery for most daily use.

So you can consider 80% to be the new 100%. If necessary, you can safely overcharge to 100% and use the extra energy on days when travelling or expecting it won't be possible to recharge.

On the average day I only use 20% of my battery so I see no reason to ever charge it to 100%

Reactions: xpxp2002

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Contributor
May 11, 2016
I just let Apple handle it. Keep in mind too.. that 100% or 80% is only of the battery life remaining. I’ve given it some thought, and I must be anal retentive about the 100%. Also, I think I’m the 3 year refresh cycle anyway .. the phone company tempts me with some kind of upgrade deal that I bite for.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
1. iPhone 13 is cheaper. Not everyone can afford shinny new iPhone. Here in Canada, base iPhone 15 starts 1600 after tax where as iPhone 14 starts around 950 after tax. There is around 600 dollars difference.

2. iPhone 15 really isn’t such big upgrade over 13 series. Not everybody cares about fancy new 48MP camera nor titanium frame.

3. A17 Pro being less efficient combined with piss poor thermal design, makes iPhone 15 overheats.

Reactions: Clamjuice65

Clamjuice65

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2023
1. iPhone 13 is cheaper. Not everyone can afford shinny new iPhone. Here in Canada, base iPhone 15 starts 1600 after tax where as iPhone 14 starts around 950 after tax. There is around 600 dollars difference.

2. iPhone 15 really isn’t such big upgrade over 13 series. Not everybody cares about fancy new 48MP camera nor titanium frame.

3. A17 Pro being less efficient combined with piss poor thermal design, makes iPhone 15 overheats.
You sound mad that u cant afford the the wonderful 15pm and making these excuses on why u wont upgrade lol. Listen just put yourself on a payment plan with your carrier and enjoy what the IPhone 15pm has to offer.🤣😂😂🇷🇺🇷🇺🇷🇺✌🏽✌🏽✌🏽

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe

You can do the same thing with iOS Shortcuts in a Personal Automation. It can even switch off a HomeKit smartplug that is connected to the charger.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
I've said it on other threads, I'll say it again.

My iPhone 6s Plus is a 2015 launch weekend iPhone. Over six years of use without regard to the battery and the battery was at 79% when I had it replaced in November 2021.

That's six years of plugging it in at night without regard to whatever the battery percent said. Screen on all night with a bedside clock running. Two Phoenix, Arizona summers in a car with no A/C and windows that could not be rolled down - on average 110º F days.

And I live 30 minutes away from a genuine Apple store.

And I had my 13PM drop to 79% in less than 2 years, because everyone uses their phones differently.

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Contributor
May 11, 2016
You sound mad that u cant afford the the wonderful 15pm and making these excuses on why u wont upgrade lol. Listen just put yourself on a payment plan with your carrier and enjoy what the IPhone 15pm has to offer.🤣😂😂🇷🇺🇷🇺🇷🇺✌🏽✌🏽
Obvious sarcasm but I had to read it a second time through to catch it. Rossmann just had a video up last week about how android manufacturers shut down their phones in Mexico because they were meant for a different country. Second hand market is big there. Government made them turn them back on.

Reactions: Clamjuice65

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I've said it on other threads, I'll say it again.

My iPhone 6s Plus is a 2015 launch weekend iPhone. Over six years of use without regard to the battery and the battery was at 79% when I had it replaced in November 2021.

That's six years of plugging it in at night without regard to whatever the battery percent said. Screen on all night with a bedside clock running. Two Phoenix, Arizona summers in a car with no A/C and windows that could not be rolled down - on average 110º F days.

And I live 30 minutes away from a genuine Apple store.
Equally I’ve had to replace my XS Battery 2 times in its lifespan of 4.5 years (not complaining, I deem that as normal) with the same “no regard”.

Newer devices destroy batteries faster so this is more of a reason to have features like this to protect and extend their lifespan.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I find just as bad the fact that Apple isn’t including cycle count in settings. It’s trivially accessible through analytics, and through apps like Coconut... why not include it in settings for “older” iPhones too?

That said, I’d never use something like the 80% limit, as constraining a device on its original iOS version is pointless because battery health will never be relevant.

Reactions: xpxp2002

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
And I had my 13PM drop to 79% in less than 2 years, because everyone uses their phones differently.
Equally I’ve had to replace my XS Battery 2 times in its lifespan of 4.5 years (not complaining, I deem that as normal) with the same “no regard”.

Newer devices destroy batteries faster so this is more of a reason to have features like this to protect and extend their lifespan.
Everyone does indeed use their phones differently. But let's hope that now that this is available, we all can stop worrying about battery life and just use our devices.

I can dream…

Reactions: now i see it

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
Obvious sarcasm but I had to read it a second time through to catch it. Rossmann just had a video up last week about how android manufacturers shut down their phones in Mexico because they were meant for a different country. Second hand market is big there. Government made them turn them back on.

iPhone 15 Pro Max does not come with Pink color. This is deal breaker. LOL. No Pink no buy.

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Everyone does indeed use their phones differently. But let's hope that now that this is available, we all can stop worrying about battery life and just use our devices.

I can dream…
We would be able to…iiiiifff it wasn’t limited arbitrarily to the iPhone 15.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada

I can dream…

I’m not planning to start using my phone until I can limit battery maximum charge to 51%, minimum charge to 49%, and manually enter trickle current values for a perfect battery care routine. The moment battery health drops to 99% I’m calling emergency services. Currently in therapy due to the 13PM experience, and so much worrying made me bald and grey-haired at the same time. I was even suggested to buy a second phone for regular use, and keep the first one as a battery perfection sample, but I couldn’t handle it. Now I have two phones in my lab, dreading the moment when either of the batteries starts degrading and ruins my life.

• Haha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.