Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
I have received my and just installed today. Both wifi ac and bluetooth works and I'm already happy. I'm just wondering if I might have messed something with the cables because I get max: Tx 780 Mbps, sometimes lower 527 Mbps. RSSI (-32 dBM) and Noise (-92 dBm) looks fine and I'm basically 2 feets away from router (D-Link 825) - connected to channel 36 (5 GHz, 80Mhz). connected first 3 shortest cables to new board and the longest cable (bluetooth?) just left unattached. Any ideas what other think should I check? Didn't install any drivers - everything worked with just swapped board.
Using:
Macos 10.14.4
macbook pro 15'' mid-12 (non-retina)

Just a hunch, but this may be related to your country code of your Mac or what the wireless router is broadcasting. Different regions have different wireless standards than where the card is made in the US.

mbosse

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Vienna, Austria
Unfortunately, I have experienced a problem with Bluetooth after the conversion:

If I connect the MBP (15" 2012, 'troop231' WiFi/Bluetooth module; Mojave 10.14.6 with latest supplemental update) to an external monitor (via DisplayPort) and also via USB (to make use of the USB hub of the monitor and also to use the hardware calibration), Bluetooth is frequently not available after the MBP went to sleep:

Apple MacBook Pro 15,4" (2012) ac WLAN issue.jpg

The Bluetooth menu says 'Bluetooth: Not Available', while WiFi continues to work trouble-free. The only way to solve this for me is to restart the machine. But this somehow defeats to the purpose of having the machine connected to an external monitor (in clamshell mode).

This happens with an Eizo PA271W (USB 2.0) as well as with a BenQ SW2700PT (USB 3.0). It does, so far, not happen if the MBP going to sleep without any screen connected.

Any ideas?

Best,
Magnus

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Unfortunately, I have experienced a problem with Bluetooth after the conversion:

If I connect the MBP (15" 2012, 'troop231' WiFi/Bluetooth module; Mojave 10.14.6 with latest supplemental update) to an external monitor (via DisplayPort) and also via USB (to make use of the USB hub of the monitor and also to use the hardware calibration), Bluetooth is frequently not available after the MBP went to sleep:

View attachment 856871

The Bluetooth menu says 'Bluetooth: Not Available', while WiFi continues to work trouble-free. The only way to solve this for me is to restart the machine. But this somehow defeats to the purpose of having the machine connected to an external monitor (in clamshell mode).

This happens with an Eizo PA271W (USB 2.0) as well as with a BenQ SW2700PT (USB 3.0). It does, so far, not happen if the MBP going to sleep without any screen connected.

Any ideas?

Best,
Magnus

That's really odd; maybe the external screens are generating noise causing BT interference or something.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
USB takes a dump all over the 2.4Ghz space if not shielded well, which is the same space as Bluetooth.
You could try replacing your USB cables/hub. Heck perhaps even try wrapping the connectors in foil to see if that helps shield them.

It's a long shot, but I'd consider it.

Reactions: mbosse

mbosse

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Vienna, Austria
USB takes a dump all over the 2.4Ghz space if not shielded well, which is the same space as Bluetooth.
You could try replacing your USB cables/hub. Heck perhaps even try wrapping the connectors in foil to see if that helps shield them.

It's a long shot, but I'd consider it.

Thanks, will try later this week, upon return!

tonyp1983

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2014
Ordered one of these at the beginning of the month and got my hands on it at the end of last week (all the way to the UK :)). Absolutely over the moon with the ease of fitting, speed and reliability on my ageing 13” MBP 2012! Thanks so much for spending the time and effort making this a reality.

One thing I have noticed, though not a huge deal, is that wifi isn’t available when booting into recovery.

I’m assuming this is because only the default kext is available in the firmware/recovery volume so the new card can’t be loaded but just wanted to see if this is a correct assumption, or if there’s something amiss? If this is as expected, is there any workaround for this or will I just need to hook up an Ethernet cable if I need to enter recovery?

Reactions: mbosse

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Ordered one of these at the beginning of the month and got my hands on it at the end of last week (all the way to the UK :)). Absolutely over the moon with the ease of fitting, speed and reliability on my ageing 13” MBP 2012! Thanks so much for spending the time and effort making this a reality.

One thing I have noticed, though not a huge deal, is that wifi isn’t available when booting into recovery.

I’m assuming this is because only the default kext is available in the firmware/recovery volume so the new card can’t be loaded but just wanted to see if this is a correct assumption, or if there’s something amiss? If this is as expected, is there any workaround for this or will I just need to hook up an Ethernet cable if I need to enter recovery?

@highvoltage12v Should know more about this than I would. Thank you for your purchase and glad you like it!

Reactions: Anry

highvoltage12v

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2014

@highvoltage12v Should know more about this than I would. Thank you for your purchase and glad you like it!
Not entirely sure what you mean in Recovery, but on the EFI screen (hold ALT on startup) the wireless AC card will not work in EFI. Me and @troop231 were talking about this in the planning phases. This is due to the fact that Apple's EFI firmware for these machines only has 1 specified driver for the Broadcom BCM94331. We went back and forth on ways around this inconvenience and determined it was a non issue. The best way around this issue is to have a spare flashdrive with the Mojave/HS/Catalina installer already on it. You can also plug your MacBook into Ethernet (as you mentioned) and still boot the Internet recovery. If I recall correctly, doesn't internet recovery boot El Capitan, which "unsupported" OS now anyways?

tonyp1983

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2014
Not entirely sure what you mean in Recovery, but on the EFI screen (hold ALT on startup) the wireless AC card will not work in EFI. Me and @troop231 were talking about this in the planning phases. This is due to the fact that Apple's EFI firmware for these machines only has 1 specified driver for the Broadcom BCM94331. We went back and forth on ways around this inconvenience and determined it was a non issue. The best way around this issue is to have a spare flashdrive with the Mojave/HS/Catalina installer already on it. You can also plug your MacBook into Ethernet (as you mentioned) and still boot the Internet recovery. If I recall correctly, doesn't internet recovery boot El Capitan, which "unsupported" OS now anyways?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I meant alt at boot (haven’t tried Internet Recovery but assumed, possibly incorrectly, it would be the same). I can work around it so it’s no biggie.

For internet recovery, currently it boots Mojave as the last official launched OS that was installed on the machine.

Pendleton115

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2019
I'm definitely interested in this and will buy it if it becomes available, been searching for a solution for months now.

Pendleton115

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2019
I believe this should work with any Unibody Mac (2009 to mid 2012 non retina), seeing as they all use the same surface Mount connector.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
I believe this should work with any Unibody Mac (2009 to mid 2012 non retina), seeing as they all use the same surface Mount connector.

The supported models are listed on our website and in the first post of this thread:
  • 13" - Early 2011 through Mid 2012 - Model A1278
  • 15" - Mid 2010 through Mid 2012 - Model A1286
  • 17" - Mid 2010 through Late 2011 - Model A1297
While it should theoretically work in the white plastic Macbooks, it may not fit or be possible and the upgrade would cost more than the computer.

Reactions: Pendleton115

Pendleton115

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2019
The supported models are listed on our website and in the first post of this thread:
  • 13" - Early 2011 through Mid 2012 - Model A1278
  • 15" - Mid 2010 through Mid 2012 - Model A1286
  • 17" - Mid 2010 through Late 2011 - Model A1297
While it should theoretically work in the white plastic Macbooks, it may not fit or be possible and the upgrade would cost more than the computer.
To be honest, if you asked me a year ago I probably wouldve bought one for a white Plastic MacBook, I was still using one until recently. They're great laptops.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
To be honest, if you asked me a year ago I probably wouldve bought one for a white Plastic MacBook, I was still using one until recently. They're great laptops.

Unfortunately the upgrade was not available a year ago lol :)

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA

I work with a lot of those. Unfortunately the plastic literally cracks in every place imaginable. Sadly they probably won’t be around in 10 years or so…

JMazzy

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2019
How many people who have yet to buy one are still interested? Just leave a thumbs up if you haven't bought yet but would like one so I can gauge the interest on how many supplies to order. Thanks!

After searching high and low for an wifi upgrade option for my MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid-2012), I was thrilled to stumble upon this message thread. Thanks for making these available. Definitely interested in ordering one!

Pendleton115

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2019
I work with a lot of those. Unfortunately the plastic literally cracks in every place imaginable. Sadly they probably won’t be around in 10 years or so…
The Unibody model was much more durable than the 2006-2009 models. The one I was using last year was in literally perfect condition, if you take good care of them they will last forever, the only problem with them is the adhesive that holds the rubber base on can deteriorate if you don’t store it in the correct conditions, and the screen can get burn damage from the CPU cooler if you use it with the lid shut.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.