Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
The Unibody model was much more durable than the 2006-2009 models. The one I was using last year was in literally perfect condition, if you take good care of them they will last forever, the only problem with them is the adhesive that holds the rubber base on can deteriorate if you don’t store it in the correct conditions, and the screen can get burn damage from the CPU cooler if you use it with the lid shut.

It was a little more durable in some ways. All the ones I’ve seen have had stress cracks in the lid near the hinges. And yes the bottom rubber comes off of them as well.

Derrial Book

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2019
I am quite interested in trying this for my mid 2010 white MacBook that I picked up at flea market a month or so ago. No cracks in the hinge area, but I dropped it a couple days ago unfortunately so I have to see if I can fix the dings and gouges that were mostly put there because I was too lazy to try and find my jewelers pliers and used regular pliers to try to fix the original dent. I wish I had found this thread before I had already bought a CAX card off of ebay to see if I could make it fit. I've already spent more than what I paid for the laptop itself in upgrades and "donor" machines/parts.
@troop231 very nice work. I was poring over pictures of the surface mount airport/wifi cards because the slot cards seemed like a no go without some sort of custom adapter. Eventually found this thread. Hopefully I have some money left to buy one of these cards when you have the next batch ready. Cheers

leFadaDavid

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
How many people who have yet to buy one are still interested? Just leave a thumbs up if you haven't bought yet but would like one so I can gauge the interest on how many supplies to order. Thanks!
Hello,
Congratulations for your work, I have been looking for this type of card for my MBP A1286 for several years.
I am interested in ordering this card with a delivery for France.
Thank you.

decat

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2019
Stumbled here through a Google search, interested in one too if something can be arranged for the shipping, like a low bill if it's included in the envelop. Otherwise they charge me an extra 30% on import taxes. :confused:

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Stumbled here through a Google search, interested in one too if something can be arranged for the shipping, like a low bill if it's included in the envelop. Otherwise they charge me an extra 30% on import taxes. :confused:

The declared value can be made low on the shipment label.

decat

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2019
That's awesome news. :cool:
Looking forward to the new batch, with a bit of luck I can get the max 1300 on the home wifi.

mrmut

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2019
Just registered so I can reply! I am in for one, and as decat said it should really be packed as something to go under radar as taxes here are huge. Searching for something like this for several years now (MacBook Pro Early 2011)

Reactions: asharahmed

decat

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2019
Lot's of demand from Europe it seems, already one from France just above me.
Mine's for hellhole Belgium btw.

Last edited:

mrmut

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2019
The other solution is to get BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX (4CAX) card for either 13" or 15" MBP and replace the old card. That one is 5GHz (that works) and BT 4.0. They are about 22 USD.

WiFi chip is BCM4331 if I am correct, triple chain architecture. With appropriate router that is realistic 100-150Mbit/s, essentially like 100mbps wired LAN. Good WiFi router for this use has to be triple chain like mikrotik hAP ac: https://mikrotik.com/product/RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT).

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
The other solution is to get BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX (4CAX) card for either 13" or 15" MBP and replace the old card. That one is 5GHz (that works) and BT 4.0. They are about 22 USD.

WiFi chip is BCM4331 if I am correct, triple chain architecture. With appropriate router that is realistic 100-150Mbit/s, essentially like 100mbps wired LAN. Good WiFi router for this use has to be triple chain like mikrotik hAP ac: https://mikrotik.com/product/RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT).

That is an 802.11n card though; this thread pertains to 802.11ac.

777dudez

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2019
Hello!!! I am interested on these card. Have anyone ever tested on the Macbook White A1342??

I own a Mid-2012 13"
Late-2011 17"
Mid-2010 13.3" (White Macbook)

I am willing to be the beta tester for this project if no one have done it on a A1342 yet.

Thanks

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Has anybody had issues on Catalina with the 802.11ac card? I have not taken the risk of upgrading from Mojave yet.

Last edited:

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Inventory of parts has mostly been obtained to build 20 units. There's a shortage of wireless cards lately.

soulessC

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2019
Been looking for a solution like this since my 15" 2012 uMBP started to get BT connection problems and I would say this is a god send. I'm definitely looking to get possibly one to finally bring closure to my BT and WiFi connectivity issues... too bad I only came across this just today can't wait to order one from the site :)

@troop231 thank you soo much for helping us with older MBPs to be up to date with the tech. looking forward to ordering one soon

naylom11

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2019
Count me in for the next round! Looking forward to attempting this on my 2012 13" mbp. just created an account to stay up tp date on stocking info, and the updated website. Thank you @troop231 for making this upgrade a reality! Upgradability ftw ?

Just a quick question/suggestion... is there a mailing list to keep us up to date on availability? if not, that might be a good way to keep those of us interested in snagging these from missing out. (Apologies if one does exist) Just don't want to miss out!

Last edited:

highvoltage12v

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2014
Has anybody had issues on Catalina with the 802.11ac card? I have not taken the risk of upgrading from Mojave yet.
I'm just finding out now that MacRumors hasn't been sending me thread updates to this page. Sorry @troop231 wasn't ignoring you. I have no issues with Catalina, and logically thinking there shouldn't be, not much as changed with the kexts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.