Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmarx16

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
would you be able to sell just the adapter? or maybe a version with an m.2 connector instead of the apple proprietary connector? i know the main goal is just a straight up upgrade, but i would love the option to have a custom upgrade for something like ax in the future.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
would you be able to sell just the adapter? or maybe a version with an m.2 connector instead of the apple proprietary connector? i know the main goal is just a straight up upgrade, but i would love the option to have a custom upgrade for something like ax in the future.

The upgrade card is one integrated unit and it is not possible to sell just the adapter portion by itself since the space requirements are small.

Last edited:

Wildwillis

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
First off, I wanted to echo a big thank you to troop231 for all his work on this. I'm not a frequent posted, but I stumbled across this back in July and ordered one of the upgrade cards for my early 2011 13" MBP. The installation went very smoothly and I really appreciate the available increase to my WiFi speeds!

I did stumble upon a question the other day. I had a need to log into Windows via my bootcamp partition for the first time in a while and learned that the WiFi card and BT adapter are not recognized. I could see them in the Device Manager with error messages stating that they needed a driver installed.

Has anyone into this and were you able to get drivers working in Windows? The quick fix may simply be connecting to a router via ethernet cable and letting it search for a driver automatically - unfortunately I wasn't near a router I could plug into at the time. I'll plan to give that a try, but thought I'd ask if anyone has run into (and hopefully solved) the driver issue in Windows. If anyone has the the WiFi and BT adapters working in Windows, if you could list the drivers they're using that'd be very helpful. Thank you!

highvoltage12v

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2014
First off, I wanted to echo a big thank you to troop231 for all his work on this. I'm not a frequent posted, but I stumbled across this back in July and ordered one of the upgrade cards for my early 2011 13" MBP. The installation went very smoothly and I really appreciate the available increase to my WiFi speeds!

I did stumble upon a question the other day. I had a need to log into Windows via my bootcamp partition for the first time in a while and learned that the WiFi card and BT adapter are not recognized. I could see them in the Device Manager with error messages stating that they needed a driver installed.

Has anyone into this and were you able to get drivers working in Windows? The quick fix may simply be connecting to a router via ethernet cable and letting it search for a driver automatically - unfortunately I wasn't near a router I could plug into at the time. I'll plan to give that a try, but thought I'd ask if anyone has run into (and hopefully solved) the driver issue in Windows. If anyone has the the WiFi and BT adapters working in Windows, if you could list the drivers they're using that'd be very helpful. Thank you!
The best way to fix this is to download and install brigadier.exe (7 Zip also) then navigate to the directory for brigadier in using CMD as an ADMIN and enter "brigadier.exe --model iMac17,1" this will download drivers for the 2015 iMac which contain the EXE for the Broadcom WiFi drivers as well as Bluetooth.

EDIT: Here they are from my iMac, I believe they are correct, I have a few Bootcamp installers on here.

Attachments

• Broadcom.zip
    7.3 MB · Views: 161
Last edited:

Wildwillis

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
Thanks so much!!! I will give it a try this evening and let you know how it goes. I appreciate the help!

The best way to fix this is to download and install brigadier.exe (7 Zip also) then navigate to the directory for brigadier in using CMD as an ADMIN and enter "brigadier.exe --model iMac17,1" this will download drivers for the 2015 iMac which contain the EXE for the Broadcom WiFi drivers as well as Bluetooth.

EDIT: Here they are from my iMac, I believe they are correct, I have a few Bootcamp installers on here.

Reactions: highvoltage12v

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Pre-orders will open at 9pm central time (CST) tonight. I'm still waiting on some materials, so the orders will be fulfilled as those supplies come in. The orders will help offset those material costs.

First come first serve on orders. Note on international customers: if you choose USPS first class international, shipping delivery estimates are not guaranteed and USPS tracking for international packages can also be unreliable! If you’re an international buyer, you accept this risk.

Please select a faster shipping method if you are worried about the troublesome USPS.

Reactions: highvoltage12v

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Pre-orders will open at 9pm central time (CST) tonight. I'm still waiting on some materials, so the orders will be fulfilled as those supplies come in. The orders will help offset those material costs.

First come first serve on orders. Note on international customers: if you choose USPS first class international, shipping delivery estimates are not guaranteed and USPS tracking for international packages can also be unreliable! If you’re an international buyer, you accept this risk.

Please select a faster shipping method if you are worried about the troublesome USPS.
Thanks. Any link for the orders?

decat

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2019
My finger is on the button. :cool:
edit: damn, still one hour to go.

Last edited:

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
One more ordered here, that comes to Spain. Thanks.

I already had an updated module wifi/bluetooth, Continuity, Handoff etc. , working with CAT, but I hope that with this one I´ll be able to have unlock with the Apple Watch.

Last edited:

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Can you try this, put back the stock kext and modify this file to read "true" for your board id.

/System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetooth.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SystemParameters.plist

You can find your board-id by using option 2 in the CAT tool, mine for example is
94245B3640C91C81

then run this command and restart (replace with your board-id)

sudo -E perl -pi -e "s/\Mac-00BE6ED71E35EB86/\Mac-yourboard-id/" /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents/MacOS/AirPortBrcm4360

This basically tells Mac your board-id is compatible with continuity. If you use Mojave and later you need to do this step with CAT anyway.
Thank you so much. I always had the problem in my Mac Pro 5.1 that although with an updated Wifi/Bluetooth card, never get to work unlock with Apple Watch. The option was there, but when I tried to enable, it took a long time spinning to say at last that "This mac was unable to comunicate with the Apple Watch." , or something like that. Modifying the "SystemParameters.plist" made the trick. Just like that.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Thank you to everyone for the orders! There are two more available for pre-order. If you are thinking about purchasing, now would be the time, as the next batch after this current one may not be for quite some time! :)

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Many users still using 2010-2012 macs. Great laptops. This is just the only only thing I was missing.

leFadaDavid

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
We’re now sold out! Thank you to everyone once again :D
It's not cool to have processed your orders that way.
With jet lag and the weekend, I didn't see the message so I missed the order when I had indicated I wanted to buy a card.
It would have been nice to contact the people here who had explicitly indicated that they wanted a card.
Anyway, I'm disappointed.

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
It's not cool to have processed your orders that way.
With jet lag and the weekend, I didn't see the message so I missed the order when I had indicated I wanted to buy a card.
It would have been nice to contact the people here who had explicitly indicated that they wanted a card.
Anyway, I'm disappointed.
You must be joking...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.