Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

cbsnbiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
You may have to update your computer to 10.9+ in order to use an iOS device with iOS 10 on it. Based on past years, the OS X required goes up with the newest version of iOS because it requires a new iTunes. iOS 8 required iTunes 11.2 which worked on 10.6.8, iOS 9 made a huge jump to 10.8.5.

Thank you for the information. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet at some point.

I don't understand why people are so anti-update.

Two words: past experience.

One example: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios9-has-made-my-iphone-5-work-poorly-thoughts.1966431/

Another example: I hate updating itunes. Every time I do so, it works worse. My primary uses of it are to manage my music files imported from CDs, and back up my iPhone. Each update it becomes more and more frustrating to use. Updating fragments the albums, loses already-imported albums, and causes other mischief.

Reactions: xoAnna

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
How about just upgrade? The minor bugs that you may encounter are nothing compared to the security patches that come with it...

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
Another reason why iOS 9 is terrible. I didn't mind iOS downloading updates and giving me one popup about then shutting up, but this is ridiculous. (iOS needs to restart in 10 mins. to finish updating). At least the older versions don't bug me about it, especially on my iPad, but it doesn't nag me about that anymore because its jailbroken on 6.0.1, even though it never nagged me because it knew how to shut up.

How in the world has Apple managed to **** up every piece of software they have? iOS hasn't been great since 6 & 7, and OS X hasn't been great since Mountain Lion & Mavericks. If they could stop trying to fix things with new products that we don't care about and don't need, and focus on software like a good company, they would get better reviews and probably get more people to switch to iOS and OS X, then everyone including them would be happy.

MAKE APPLE GREAT AGAIN!! Please?

Last edited by a moderator:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I hate that nagging, Apple could tone down the aggressive behavior over its updating, if you ask me.

I prefer sitting tight on these updates and see if there's any issues

Reactions: wingmanmac

cbsnbiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Damnit, the 9.3.2 update downloaded itself onto my iPhone a *third* time! And it hectored me again until I deleted it a third time!

STOP IT, APPLE!!!!!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I'm not persuaded that that will be the case. Updating to 9.x has made a mess of this device.

Even more important, I WANT TO STOP THE DOWNLOADS!

Well I'm pretty sure you can't. So you're options are keep deleting it and ignoring it. Or install. Hate to burst your bubble.

Last edited:

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
iOS updates can download automatically when the device is plugged in and has a Wi-Fi connection.
And for people who have capped data plans from the stupid asian ISP and charge extra per MB? Does apple assume that everyone in the world has unlimited data plans from the ISP?

You can install an Apple TV beta profile which makes the device look for Apple TV updates for iOS, that'll never happen so it'll never bug you with updates.
How can I do this? Link/ Tutorial steps please.

Any other ways to block these PUSH DOWNLOADS to the phone?
[doublepost=1464066941][/doublepost]
Settings > General > Software Update
It's already pretty simple without the trickery.
And most people don't even know about it let alone use it. No tickery and nothing new or strange really.
Fine, even then.. let it be default for dumbos.. But, give people an option to DISABLE auto downloads and save their ISP data plans.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And for people who have capped data plans from the stupid asian ISP and charge extra per MB? Does apple assume that everyone in the world has unlimited data plans from the ISP?

Fine, even then.. let it be default for dumbos.. But, give people an option to DISABLE auto downloads and save their ISP data plans.
Feel free to let Apple know?

Reactions: ohio.emt

Rekan_

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2015
London, UK

https://oldcat.me/web/NOOTA9.mobileconfig
Click that link from your Device :)
FYI: If you ever want to remove it, remove it from your certifications.

EDIT: Just in case you don't know what this does: This installs the tvOS (Apple TV 4) program which makes the Device check for a tvOS update for your device, obviously this will never happen so it just displays as no updates available. You can easily remove this in case you want to update. This certificate is from Apple so there will be NO harm to your device, good luck :)

Last edited:

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
This is seriously obnoxious. I get the desire to get people to update - that's fine - but any more than once a day is REALLY pushing it and it drives me nuts... Multiple times a day getting this stupid goddamn popup that takes multiple clicks to get rid of...

Phoenixx

Suspended
Jul 3, 2015
Slightly better than Windows 10. It will show a dialog box asking "update now" or "later". If you click later, it will auto update later at the OS's choice of time (you gave it permission by clicking later). If you wanted to not update, you were suppose to click the x in the top corner of the dialog box lol. That is like those fake dialog boxes that are web ads.

Windows is FAR better in this respect. Uninstall and hide update KB 3035583 in Windows 7 or 8, along with KB 2952664 (Windows 7) or KB 2976978 (Windows 8/8.1) and the nagging disappears.

e93to

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2015
Toronto
My 5S is on 8.4.1. The phone did download 9.3.2 update, but it happened only once. It didn't even ask me to update (as a matter of fact, I was never prompted to update to iOS 9). I only realized the update was download when I noticed storage was reduced by 1 gb. And my phone didn't even download certain versions of iOS 9. I don't know what I did to my phone, but at least somehow these annoying things don't happen to me!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is seriously obnoxious. I get the desire to get people to update - that's fine - but any more than once a day is REALLY pushing it and it drives me nuts... Multiple times a day getting this stupid goddamn popup that takes multiple clicks to get rid of...
That's odd. I would get it once a day and could dismiss it until the next day. After a few days I decided to just delete the downloaded update, which got rid of it and the pop-up about it, and it hasn't been back since.

Quarksbar

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2014
https://oldcat.me/web/NOOTA9.mobileconfig
Click that link from your Device :)
FYI: If you ever want to remove it, remove it from your certifications.

EDIT: Just in case you don't know what this does: This installs the tvOS (Apple TV 4) program which makes the Device check for a tvOS update for your device, obviously this will never happen so it just displays as no updates available. You can easily remove this in case you want to update. This certificate is from Apple so there will be NO harm to your device, good luck :)

THANK YOU!

Apple - great way to turn fans into haters - it worked on me!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rekan_

FrozenInferno

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2013
Nothing worse than users who think there is some reason not to update.

Nothing worse than someone assuming we all have the top-of-the-line devices that will run whatever you throw at it. Some of us keep our phones for years and need them to run good long-term. It's no secret some of these updates turn older devices into frozen molasses.

And maybe people just want the freedom to control what and when they install on their devices out of principal, and not be told "just do what they say and shut up".

I want the update when I'm good and ready, and not a second sooner. Don't turn your nose up at those of us who don't blindly update the second something new comes around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.