Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Just a note:

MacWhispers is reporting a rumor that the new 15" PowerBooks will sport the IBM 970 PPC processor:

Several odd bits of information have crossed our desk recently that point to an unexpected possibility: Apple will be introducing the IBM PPC 970 processors, not in PowerMacs, as expected, but in the new 15.4-inch Aluminum PowerBook.

I'd love it if it came to pass :D

http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers/archives/000055.php

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: New 15" PB with a PPC970?

I think he's a little late for the PPC 970 in a PB April fools joke. :rolleyes:

[edit - Remove a remark]

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Still, there is a bit of logic to it... The 15" update is late, the new processor is coming out, the motherboard needs to be redesigned anyway... But if that's the case, you might as well put your credit card back in the refrigerator, because we won't see 'em til after WWDC.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Remember the delay on killing OS 9 booting until June, so it's doubtful Apple is going to wipe out OS 9 capable completely for awhile yet.

Basically OS 9 gets eradicated during the next speed bump, which would be an expected time for Apple to kill the old MDD PowerMac, replace the PB 15, and do something with the iBook and eMac.

Hopefully everyone machine will have FW800 after the speed bumps and upgrades at that time, and an outside chance of USB2 on the PowerMac -- Apple did take a step in the direction of making it possible in the new MDD PowerMacs.

---

And the new PB 15 should use the same logic board as the PB 17, should be a repackaged PB 17.

Unless everyone thinks the iMac 15 needs to be a completely redesigned machine to become a iMac 17.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Originally posted by Sun Baked
Remember the delay on killing OS 9 booting until June, so it's doubtful Apple is going to wipe out OS 9 capable completely for awhile yet.

Basically OS 9 gets eradicated during the next speed bump, which would be an expected time for Apple to kill the old MDD PowerMac, replace the PB 15, and do something with the iBook and eMac.

Hopefully everyone machine will have FW800 after the speed bumps and upgrades at that time, and an outside chance of USB2 on the PowerMac -- Apple did take a step in the direction of making it possible in the new MDD PowerMacs.

---

And the new PB 15 should use the same logic board as the PB 17, should be a repackaged PB 17.

Unless everyone thinks the iMac 15 needs to be a completely redesigned machine to become a iMac 17.
Get your facts straight. MacOS 9 booting lives on because Apple kept older models in its product line, not because it introduced new machines that boot into MacOS 9.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: Have another cup of coffee ;)

Originally posted by MisterMe
Get your facts straight. MacOS 9 booting lives on because Apple kept older models in its product line, not because it introduced new machines that boot into MacOS 9.
:confused:

Where did I say the new machines boot OS 9?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
This is an uterly silly rumor, which would make the PowerBook 17 the modern equivalent of the Mac IIvi (lasted 5 months).

Apple just switched the PowerBooks (still in process) from the PowerMac chipset over to the single chip DDR one used in the iMac.

Why would Apple do this to, only kill the all new design within a matter of months, they wouldn't.

[edit - Double Post... ;)]

CheekyGit

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2002
Alabama
Very cool

Terrific news if true. Hopefully they will offer a choice of the 1.4 or 1.8 Ghz 970 processor.

However, I will wait when they put one in the 17" PowerBook. Then I snag one up for my Photoshop laptop and keep my 667Mhz PB for my normal office work.

CheekyGit :D

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
And G4 in iBooks

If Apple really introduces the G5 in the Powerbooks (they have to upgrade the other models soon) then we will see the G4 in the next iBook revision. Although it seems they are quit a while away.

Cheers

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
970 in the 15"? Absolutely. And the 17" at the same time. But not YET!

For one thing, the PowerMac is the line that needs the change. I'd love it if portables got the 970 at the same time... but sooner is absurd.

For another, doesn't all evidence point to 970s not being available in quantity until fall?

There are lots of other explanations for the 15" delay... fixing things that cropped up in BOTH the new 15" and 17" but were first addressed in the 17" model, for instance.

I think it's time to question the usefulness of that particular source. Unless it simply means that work is being done on a 970 15" for LATER use.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
So if I get this right, they had a production run of 970-powered PowerBooks in January but ran into some problems so they had to hold everything and 're-engineer' the Powerbooks which has caused the delay. Now the PBs are back in production and will debut sometime in April.

I'm not terribly convinced by this production snag story. It doesn't seem right that they would be manufacturing the 970 PBs at the same time they were introducing the 12" and 17" PBs with 1 ghz G4s. The 17" is supposed to be the top-of-the-line at $3300. No way would Apple make it obsolete a month later by introducing a 970-powered PB.

I have to say though that it makes some sense to release the 970s first in the PBs. I'm sure they have much better yields with 1 ghz & 1.2 ghz 970s than they do with 1.8 ghz. Only 19 w power dissipation at 1.2 ghz, friggin ideal for a PowerBook.

noverflow

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2002
Re: And G4 in iBooks

Originally posted by CmdrLaForge
If Apple really introduces the G5 in the Powerbooks (they have to upgrade the other models soon) then we will see the G4 in the next iBook revision. Although it seems they are quit a while away.

Cheers

The g4 is already in the ibook!
all they did for the PB12 was take an ibook make it a metal case (for heat reasons) and slap a g4 and a slot loading drive in there.

The Ibook will probably go to a slower dumbed down 970 before it goes g4. the 970 produces less heat.

The ibook is at 800 the pb12 is at 867... what would they do if the ibook went g4... put a 800 or a 850 in it... it would kill the pb12 sales.

Why, because it would be the same thing, only cheeper, and less cost for apple care.

2COOL4SCHOOL

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2003
Shocking.......

Love to see it, but...... I would be very supprised. If this is true, it might be a while before we see any new 15" PBs.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by dongmin
So if I get this right, they had a production run of 970-powered PowerBooks in January but ran into some problems so they had to hold everything and 're-engineer' the Powerbooks which has caused the delay. Now the PBs are back in production and will debut sometime in April.

I'm not terribly convinced by this production snag story. It doesn't seem right that they would be manufacturing the 970 PBs at the same time they were introducing the 12" and 17" PBs with 1 ghz G4s. The 17" is supposed to be the top-of-the-line at $3300. No way would Apple make it obsolete a month later by introducing a 970-powered PB.

I have to say though that it makes some sense to release the 970s first in the PBs. I'm sure they have much better yields with 1 ghz & 1.2 ghz 970s than they do with 1.8 ghz. Only 19 w power dissipation at 1.2 ghz, friggin ideal for a PowerBook.

You misread the article. It said that apple originally was putting the G4 in the 15" but cancelled production and decided to put the 970 in them.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Where to begin? Let's see, I would NOT be surprised if the 15.4" AlBook was introduced with the 970 processor, but I can guarantee you they will only do it if they upgrade the 17" to the 970. My bet is that WWDC was delayed not just because of Panther, but because of PowerBook troubles. If the 15.4" does indeed premiere with the 970, it will be introduced at WWDC along with the upgraded 17" and a revised 12" (Thgough the 12" will most likely still carry the G4, put probably at 1 GHz)
If we don't hear anything at WWDC, you can bet we won't hear anything until November.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I just can't see it happening, the PowerMac line MUST get the newest, fastest chips before, or at least, at the same time as the PowerBook line.

DavidCL23

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2001
NJ
I could understand why they would release 970 powerbooks before powermacs. Laptops are the wave of the future!

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
iBook connection.

Has anyone considered the effects a change like this would have on the iBook line? Here some thoughts I had at my blog, MacUnderground:

Many people have voiced concern about Apple's strategy with the iBook. iBook updates are expected to surface in the next month or so, and many problems have come from the speculation. If the iBook uses a G4, or a faster G3 (the more likely of the two), there's a real possibility that 12" Powerbook sales could sink in favor of the cheaper iBook. If Apple is planning a 970 overhaul of the Powerbook line in June, they may also have plans for changes to the iBook around that time (maybe as much as a month before). Just maybe...

BTW, I see edesignuk's point about the Powermacs. I could Apple releasing Powerbooks and Powermac's with the 970 in them at the same time. One could argue that just releasing 970 towers first would hurt Powerbook sales with people waiting for the 970 to move there.

Postal

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2002
Ottawa, ON, Canada
On the speculative note... check out this PDF for the GeForce FX Go series:

GeForce FX 5600 & 5200 Go PDF

Not only do they mention the fact that it's compatible with OS X (and even 9, oddly enough), one of the promo shots below has a 15" PowerBook (albeit a titanium). Something tells me that these chips may be used in the next PowerBook update.

Just for kicks, here's a "dream" config for PPC 970-based, aluminum PowerBooks if they were released sometime this summer:

12" PowerBook

- 1 GHz PPC 970
- 256 MB of DDR333 memory
- 32 MB GeForce FX 5200 Go graphics
- 60 GB hard disk
- Combo or Superdrive options
- Bluetooth built-in
- Airport Extreme ready

15" PowerBook

- 1 GHz PPC 970
- 256 MB of DDR333 memory
- 64 MB Mobility Radeon 9600 graphics
- 60 or 80 GB hard disk options
- Combo or Superdrive options
- now includes Bluetooth
- Airport Extreme card included

17" PowerBook

- 1.2 GHz PPC 970
- 512 MB of DDR333 memory
- 128 MB GeForce FX 5600 Go graphics
- 80 GB hard disk
- Superdrive
- Bluetooth
- Airport Extreme card

Those would be great, of course... I won't even dare to speculate on prices though, even if the details I gave are (miraculously) spot-on. I do admit that predictions of an 80 GB hard disk and a 128 MB mobile graphics chip are optimistic, but they both have a basis in reality (as each is likely to be available by the time Apple would do such a thing).

Believe it or not, another piece of optimism I have is that Apple may well introduce the PPC 970 into the PowerBooks first, or right alongside the PowerMacs. Jobs called this the "year of the notebook" and may have been implying more than just the introduction of the 12" and 17" PowerBooks using G4s. Of course, he could have just been alluding to a major iBook revision, but who knows? :)

mcs37

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by Sun Baked
This is an uterly silly rumor, which would make the PowerBook 17 the modern equivalent of the Mac IIvi (lasted 5 months).[edit - Double Post... ;)]

True, but Apple loves to the the first of the bunch, and I think the PPC 970 powerbook would be the first laptop with a modern 64-bit processor. Let's also remember it creates less heat and draws less power, which is vital for laptops getting 3 hours of battery life. Besides, if they announced the PB at the WWDC, it wouldn't ship until late September anyway, which has given Apple plenty of time to release its flagship 17" PB. Perhaps Panther will be totally ready for 64-bit.

One can hope!

Mike

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
at 19 watts running 1.2ghz a 970 powerbook would be just what apple needs right now, and i would guess this would be the first mass produced 970. Then the 1.4 and 1.8 ? Anyways we all know the g5 or whatever they end up calling it is long overdue.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Re: iBook connection.

Originally posted by pyrotoaster
Has anyone considered the effects a change like this would have on the iBook line? Here some thoughts I had at my blog, MacUnderground:

Many people have voiced concern about Apple's strategy with the iBook. iBook updates are expected to surface in the next month or so, and many problems have come from the speculation. If the iBook uses a G4, or a faster G3 (the more likely of the two), there's a real possibility that 12" Powerbook sales could sink in favor of the cheaper iBook. If Apple is planning a 970 overhaul of the Powerbook line in June, they may also have plans for changes to the iBook around that time (maybe as much as a month before). Just maybe...

YOu just quoted something I've been saying for some time. Damnit!! :p Yes, although an update to the 12" iBook is due quite soon, it probably won't happen because the 12" PB was just released. Apple will update all 3 PB models to the 970 at the same time, and at the same time, the iBooks will be upgraded to a 1Ghz G4. It doesn't make sense for it to happen any other way. You don't want to make the expensive 17" PB look like a really expensive paperweight in comparison to the 15", and yet you don't want to delay an update to the 15" PB since it desperately needs a facelift and hardware upgrade of some sort to appease Mac users. You also don't wnat to make the extra $800 cost of a 12" PB look like way too much money for a computer with a slower cpu than an iBook, so there won't be an iBook upgrade before a 12" PB upgrade. And I realize that the consumer model isn't always faster than the pro models, but if you look at the demographic of people who actually purchase a 12" iBook, a large number of them are students or younger people like myself who aren't computer illiterate. If they were to look at an iBook with a higher cpu speed than the 12"PB, nobody would dare touch the PB. I say the PM lineup will be upgraded to the 970 first, maybe some time in July, followed by an upgrade to the entire PB line in August. And it should all be ready to ship in September. :)

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
It is too fast to jump to a 970. Apple is in a way rather conservative. It would make a lot of sense to bring out the 15 inch Al book and figure out the manufacturing problems with that (mechanical strength, heat, Airport antenna, FCC issues, parts suppliers, ...) then switch up to the 970 when they have a solid platform to put it in. It would be a real drap to come out with the 970 PowerBook and then have to have a recall two months later because of some weird little problem unrelated to the processor. Recall the problems Apple has had with loose batteries, CD's scraping inside the drive, chipping paint, etc.

Not to mention that these chips are just barely coming into production. How can you launch a product without a known supply of parts?

My speculation is that we'll see the 970 in the PowerMacs later this summer and, if all goes well, the powerbooks will get the 970 around November.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.