Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I have seen several threads where people have reported their display model for their new MacBook Air. With every display model I have read, the 9C90 has been reported. This is the display known as having the worst record with the prior rev B MBAs as far as being affected with gray lines on the displays. There were two other display models in the prior rev B MBAs, 9C9A, 9C8F. Unfortunately, BOTH of those have much better records for not having lines.

I had a 1.86 GHz SSD rev B MBA with a 9C9A which did NOT have any lines in it whatsoever. 9C9A was considered by many to be the good display which was used mostly in the high end 1.86 GHz MBA; while the 9C90 was most often used in the low end 1.6 GHz MBA. MANY people have reported 9C8F displays with NO LINES in them within the last few months before the new MBA was introduced.

I wonder why there are none of the "good" displays used in the new MBAs? Perhaps there are but we just don't have any reported yet.

Would you please take two minutes and report your display model number here, and also list whether your display has gray lines running horizontally across the display. The lines are usually noticeable on white backgrounds or light grayish colored backgrounds.

To determine your new MBA's display model id, please go to the Apple Logo > System Preferences > Displays > Color > Open Profile > Scroll to line 13 and highlight it > the identification information will appear.

Will display like this, "00009C90." Just report the last four characters.

Report the line status in this manner:
NO LINES! = AWESOME! This is what we all want.
Slightly affected = Has mild gray lines only visible on light backgrounds randomly.
Severely affected = Has darker gray lines obvious often with most light to moderate colored backgrounds.

Please use the following as a template to report your MBA's information/Copy and Paste and edit to display your information:

MBA Model: 2.13/SSD or 1.86/HDD
Display ID: 9C90, 9C9A, 9C8F, OTHER (last four characters)
Line Status: No Lines!, Slightly Affected, Severely Affected
Place Purchased: Apple Store, Apple.com, Reseller (name)

ALSO, Please only BOLD your Information submission. This will allow us all to quickly identify each MBA with the model and level of lines.

I will go first...

MBA Model: 2.13/SSD
Display ID: 9C90
Line Status: Slightly Affected
Place Purchased: Apple Store

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Also, I have had two others which were already returned. Both were purchased at the Apple Store.

The first one had the worst lines I have ever seen. If the background color wasn't dark, gray lines were visible all across the page.

The second MBA had very very faint lines. Perhaps affecting the display less than the MBA I got on my fourth try... attempt number three was a DOA MBA.

I have been extremely disappointed that Apple hasn't awarded us MBA loyalists with a better display this go around. This is my third MBA purchase. I bought an original MBA the month it was first released. I bought a rev B MBA two months after the rev B MBA was introduced (was stolen). This is the third MBA I have paid Apple a ton of money for, and I expect to get a display without lines.

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
I'll chime in and concur with Scottsdale, 9C90 Rev C spotted in Apple Store with lines.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Line Status: None
Place Purchased: Online Apple Store

CONGRATULATIONS!!! One of only a couple! Most people don't know what they're looking for, so good when someone that knows can identify they don't have them on their MBA.

I am so convinced this is a power issue. There are varying degrees on these MBAs, even within the same model of display. This has to be correctable somehow.

Balthezor

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
PA
I'll chime in.

2.13/SSD: 9C90 -slight

1.86/HDD: 9C90 -slight, but worse than the 2.13

Both of these were the demos. Going to another Apple store to check.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Can only report what I've just seen in my local Apple Store from their new shop floor MBA....

2.13/SSD model
9C90 display
Moderately affected by lines (to the level I'd return if I had that unit)

It's some kind of pathetic joke that of all the 3 display models used in the rev.B, for the rev.C they seem to have chosen to fix on the one model that was by far the worst of them all!!! The words 'epic' and 'fail' spring to mind.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I'll chime in.

2.13/SSD: 9C90 -slight

1.86/HDD: 9C90 -slight, but worse than the 2.13

Both of these were the demos. Going to another Apple store to check.

Please list the store name and location so we don't have multiple of the same store.

There is a new store opening in Scottsdale, Arizona today at 6pm. My son and I are going for the grand opening. Will check and report those back.

So far, it looks like Apple is only using the 9C90 which SUCKS! If I see anything different anywhere else, I plan to buy one their to try it.

I am so curious to see what Amazon and Best Buy have. It seems Apple is probably sending them the good ones to limit returns, as the majority of the recent good rev B MBA displays were from Amazon with the display that normally looks great. I just hope Apple put that display in some new MBAs somewhere, and I can find one???

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I have a GREAT IDEA... in my own mind. Since these lines are not seen by all, let's track the MBAs at Apple Stores and get multiple opinions of the same exact MBAs. This will ensure that someone can go into a store and know that an MBA supposedly has it and can look for it if they don't know what to look at.

So please please use the format I listed. When posting a store's MBAs and the lines please do the following...

ONE. In the subject use the store name.
TWO. List how many MBAs are in the store.
THREE. List the specs for each model.
FOUR. List the display model identification
FIVE. List the level of problems using a NO LINES, Slight, Extreme (and use a 10 point system also... 1 being the worst lines, 10 being no lines). This will allow others to identify the problematic MBAs and could be a great way for us to compare/share.

MacLover4491

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
what a waste of time and money. Just dont buy the macbook air if it has so much problems. Apple will correct it if no one buys.

kent912

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
The MBA Model 2.13/SSD just became available on amazon and I just placed an order with next day shipping. I will report back on Monday when it comes in.

I am so curious to see what Amazon and Best Buy have. It seems Apple is probably sending them the good ones to limit returns, as the majority of the recent good rev B MBA displays were from Amazon with the display that normally looks great. I just hope Apple put that display in some new MBAs somewhere, and I can find one???

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
The MBA Model 2.13/SSD just became available on amazon and I just placed an order with next day shipping. I will report back on Monday when it comes in.
Sorry but I don't buy this ridiculous theory of Scottsdale's that Amazon-purchased MBAs don't have the lines because Apple give them good ones to limit returns.

It's true that Amazon-sourced rev.B's fared better but that was because their inventory was full of old stock early rev.Bs with the old but perfect 9C8F displays. Doesn't apply to the new rev.Cs as we know that they're all using the same crappy 9C90s.

yzingher

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
From London Apple store

Hi guys,

A quick report:

1. London Apple Store on Regents Street
2. 2.13Ghz model, System Preferences says the screen is a 9C90
3. I can't see any lines whatsoever

I'm usually quite easy going with these sort of things so it might escape my attention... but I really can't see any lines! Is there a particular way I need to view the screen?

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Hi guys,

A quick report:

1. London Apple Store on Regents Street
2. 2.13Ghz model, System Preferences says the screen is a 9C90
3. I can't see any lines whatsoever

I'm usually quite easy going with these sort of things so it might escape my attention... but I really can't see any lines! Is there a particular way I need to view the screen?
Oh dear, scratch that.....contradicts my earlier report a few posts above of almost certainly the same machine. Definitely lines present.

Can only report what I've just seen in my local Apple Store from their new shop floor MBA....

2.13/SSD model
9C90 display
Moderately affected by lines (to the level I'd return if I had that unit)

It's some kind of pathetic joke that of all the 3 display models used in the rev.B, for the rev.C they seem to have chosen to fix on the one model that was by far the worst of them all!!! The words 'epic' and 'fail' spring to mind.

Good job for you there's a couple of decent opticians in the area ;) :D

jrichie

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
Aus
MBA Model: 1.86/SSD
Line Status: no lines
Place Purchased: Refurb from Apple

Couldn't be happier!!!

matt8804

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2009
MBA Model: 1.60/HDD
Line Status: Severely Affected
Place Purchased: FNAC Torino Italy

skoone

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2006
Line Status: No Lines
Place Purchased: Apple Store, Charlotte NC/Southpark

MBA Model: 1.86/HDD
Line Status: Slightly Affected
Place Purchased: Apple Store, Charlotte NC/Southpark

I didn't buy one because the store was packed out with people -- Plus, no one was available to sell me one, so I simply walked out!

moadl81

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
Line Status: Very slightly affected
Place Purchased: Apple Online Store Germany

I`m quite happy with it.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.

I cannot wait to hear back from you. People got really lucky there before the update with the best display. Let's hope Apple still cares about sending some good displays. I will return my Air to Apple and buy from Amazon if it means the 9C8F Display or even the one I had before 9C9A (which I had that was perfect in my rev B).

Good luck. Let me know as soon as you get it on Monday. Thanks...

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Sorry but I don't buy this ridiculous theory of Scottsdale's that Amazon-purchased MBAs don't have the lines because Apple give them good ones to limit returns.

It's true that Amazon-sourced rev.B's fared better but that was because their inventory was full of old stock early rev.Bs with the old but perfect 9C8F displays. Doesn't apply to the new rev.Cs as we know that they're all using the same crappy 9C90s.

Well Veinticinco, I saw a rev B MBA with a 1.86 GHz CPU and 9C8F display three days ago which a client's employee bought from Amazon. The manufacture date was April 2009! I read about another one here on MR that the buyer stated a 17/19th week of 2009 and same 9C8F display (was some date like that). So, I have a little bit of method in supporting the theory WHICH IS NOT MY THEORY (but I believe could be a possibility).

I do believe that Amazon could have warned Apple for so many returns of the problematic displays. What I also have to believe though is that the vast majority of people who do not understand the lines are there will NEVER see them. So, I don't know how many of us here are ruining the experience for others who would otherwise never know it. I have 20/20 vision, and I see some lines instantly on bad machines from normal viewing distance... but with my new MBA I cannot see them from normal distance, nor on the normal white background that is usually the instant way to spot. Weird!!! This display I have on the fourth MBA I got is really weird! It's beautiful... better than my rev B that was stolen, BUT it has lines which ruins it in my mind... even though I have to look and has to be a grayish/brownish colored extremely light background (again not white which most of the time is the easy way to find).

Regaj

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
Virginia
Line Status: No Lines
Place Purchased: Apple Store, Fair Oaks, Virginia

Scottsdale, I can fairly guarantee you that Apple hasn't struck some strange deal with Amazon, or any other reseller, to get the "good" displays.

It also seems highly likely at this point that 9c90 is the only display currently in manufacture for the MBA.

Me, I'm loving this new machine. It's a quite extraordinary form factor and the display on mine is terrific.

gnfcoota

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
Place Purchased: Apple Store, Chadstone, Australia

Returning unit, will try another

taphil

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
MBA Model: Both 1.86 and 2.13
Display ID: Both 9C90
Apple Store, Pittsburgh, PA

I did not notice these lines on the previous Rev B MBAs on display. The lines are both vertical and horizontal, and it makes light colored objects and backgrounds appear to have a grid. Very nasty looking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.