Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
MBA Model: 1.6GHz Rev A
Lines: None
Display Model: 9C73
Place: Apple Online Store, refurb 2 months ago

You bast*rd, I just caught "9C73" and thought, hold on they are using an alternative model after all and better it has no lines!!!!

And then I saw the spec :(

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Heh, don't think we ever heard of rev A with lines. And for those people who cannot see the lines, don't try... Be happy and go on with the good MBA... life should be better than looking for something you don't even notice. (And optionally get embarassed by the faintest of lines if you did after an hour of gazing...)

macinsomniac

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
Received my MBA in the mail today:

MBA Model: 2.13 SSD
Lines: None
Display Model: 9C90
Place: Apple Online Store

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I agree with two posts above. Don't try to find the lines, because slightly affected models cannot be seen by 95% of people or those who don't know about the issue. On a seriously affected display, anyone can spot.

Once you see them one time it will bug the crap out of you. It's just like dead pixels annoy once spotted. Except this affects the whole display.

It's really not fun. I wish Apple would just fix it already. I would love for the issue to just be over with a firmware updated which some have suggested.

flpatriot

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2009
Fargo, North Dakota
Bit late here...

Best Buy @ West Acres
Fargo, North Dakota

MBA Model: 1.6GHz/Rev B
Display ID: 9C90
Line Status: not affected

I'll report again once they have a revC unit on display.

storm76

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2009
Model: MBA rev.C 2.13
Screen 9c90
Can't fine any lines at any distance.
Purchased at Fresno FAshion Fair Mall California

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Model : rev C 2.13 SSD
Display : 9C90 (as expected)
Line : faint but there, if I look close on grey/light blue, but less on white and I think the lines are a bit diagonal by about 10 degrees going upwards toward left.
Purchased : Online Apple store in Japan (Said, it was shipped from Shanghai China)

mrjohn

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2005
Went to buy one today... Not exactly too many in Bangkok, Thailand, but they opened two of them for me... and both have lines:

MBA Model: 2.13GHz/SSD
Line Status: Severely Affected
Place (Attempted) Purchased: Reseller iStudio (Thailand)

MBA Model: 2.13GHz/SSD
Line Status: Severely Affected
Place (Attempted) Purchased: Reseller: iStudio (Thailand)

King t.

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
My MBA rev:C 2,13GHz display is also crap, i don't have any lines, but the colors look so bad and it
s kinda yellowish compared to my MBA rev:A SSD model :mad:

I kinda feel like ever since Apple droped the prices on the MBA's, they also went totally down on it's quality :(

+ my MBA rev:C 2,13ghz already went hot! and i was only using safari and disk utility and it went up to 80+ degrees :(

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
My MBA rev:C 2,13GHz display is also crap, i don't have any lines, but the colors look so bad and it

I kinda feel like ever since Apple droped the prices on the MBA's, they also went totally down on it's quality :(

+ my MBA rev:C 2,13ghz already went hot! and i was only using safari and disk utility and it went up to 80+ degrees :(

Color calibrated or stock config and already yellowish? I don't feel yellowish on my 2.13. MBA display has been crap before this price drop. Maybe fix thermal paste if it looks crappily applied or perhaps use CoolBook to throttle a bit of CPU. Mine did go up to 80+ on HD vids though, usually around 50.

King t.

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
i used color profile super_Cal for both MBA rev:A and Rev:C and the REV:C looked yellowish and also by stock color setting + the screen looked way darker then the MBA rev:A when both were set to full brightness :confused:

tsubikiddo

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne, AUS

stock MBA color profile are kinda yellowish
it was kinda too warm, but it wasn't 'absolutely unacceptable' kind of yellowish
a quick naked-eye calibration would have ease the annoyance by large

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
stock MBA color profile are kinda yellowish
it was kinda too warm, but it wasn't 'absolutely unacceptable' kind of yellowish
a quick naked-eye calibration would have ease the annoyance by large

But did you go set the gamma setting to 2.2? There are yellow and bluish settings too. You can select bright white, or soft white along with gamma 2.2 and it will remove all those other colors instantly.

Don't consider what you see on a display at an Apple Store without changing all those settings either.

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Hmmmm... After I'm putting rev A display onto rev C, I totally understand what this "yellowish" display is all about. I'm not sure it was like this before the swap as I was only concentrating on the lines... But now the rev A with rev C display looks much whiter than this machine. Both tested on a new user with no calibration. Just a single Finder window tells that well. I wish they keep some sort of level of quality on the damn display throughout their lineups... I'm becoming mad.

King t.

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
i think the best quality was with the REV:A's, ever since they got cheaper it seems to me that they put cheap stuff in the MBA's :mad:

ok except for the Nvidia ;)

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Maybe im going to retransfer the display... for gods sake. Because, King t. said his rev C is yellowish, and my rev C with rev A display is yellowish, and rev A with rev C display is white... if it doesn't change by swapping it back... then something but the display is wrong as well. (Lines have been "successfully" transferred though)

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
A quick reroute test says, my rev A display has been yellowish the whole time. I just never realized it was yellowish till I figured rev C's 9C90 is way whiter and more vivid. Now I got rev A with lines (albeit quite faint) and rev C with yellow display... maybe I need to kill someone... :(

wacso

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
no lines

MBA Model:2.13/SSD
Line Status: No Lines!
Place Purchased: Apple Store mall of america, minnesota

no lines on display models and no lines on the 2 airs that i bought....one had to go back for another unrelated issue.

i am a graphic artist so if there were lines i would be able to see them.

(also: i adjust color settings on my displays. there's no "right" or "wrong" settings for color. my personal opinion is the default setting is too cool (blue) and a bit washed out.)

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
9C9A for my Rev B 1.86GHZ 128SSD (No line issue)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    827.9 KB · Views: 149

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
MBA Model: 2.13/SSD (refurb)
Display ID: 9C8F
Line Status: None - perfect display!
Place Purchased: Online Apple Store (refurb)

So, do I have one of the rare, coveted "9C8F" screens? It's absolutely gorgeous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.