Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
How much power would it take to keep 1GB of RAM (not flash) holding its data? I'm just curious how feasible it would be to have a RAM based player, as opposed to a flash based player.

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
Interesting idea!

Originally posted by MarkCollette
How much power would it take to keep 1GB of RAM (not flash) holding its data? I'm just curious how feasible it would be to have a RAM based player, as opposed to a flash based player.

The only problem I see is that RAM in the 1-2GB range is quite expensive. Much more than HD. However it is interesting. I don't know anything about the powerconsumption though. Will have to look up or wait for one of our MacRumors buddies to inform us.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
I've had to make order from companies for different type of part. And when you order 100,000 instead of 100, the price drops drastically. I'm not sure this applies to apple, but I cant see why it wouldn't
Originally posted by dguisinger
Actually, from work in the electronics business. Those prices are probably very close. There is still a certain cost to everything that Apple can't lower. The LCD, and batteries, chips, and PCB. Not to mention the HD.

I'll tell you this, without the HD, the iPod does not cost Apple $5. Nor $20. It likely costs Apple around $50-$80 to build an ipod complete with LCD and battery, and casing, before you add the hard drive.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
If it comes out it will probably priced at $199.

Though I'm sure some places will lower prices abit by 10-15 bucks.

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
This is going to stay a rumor.

Apple might cut the prices of the current iPods but they aren't going to come out and rerelease an "out of date" product.

The cost difference between making a 5Gb and say a 10Gb iPod will only be the difference in cost of the Hard Drive, this probably won't be dramatic enough to warrant a lower price.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
A flash version of the iPod would be a good idea.

As someone else pointed out - no iPod, no ITMS.

Therefore, Apple need as much market share as possible.

Not everyone can afford $250ish dollars for an existing iPod, but more people could afford, say, $150 for a 128Mb flash version.

However, SJ has already mentioned that he doesn't think price for the iPod is an issue - but cheaper would be nice.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by MarkCollette
RAM is much faster than EPROM (flash) but more expensive, and requires (IIRC) more power to hold memory than EPROMs. EPROM/flash is slower than RAM, and is therefore cheaper and it can stay with no power IIRC.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by gotohamish
Not quite - drivers for "EVERY" camera would:

a) take up a lot of space on the iPod that could be used on music.

b) would immediately leave every camera released after the release.

Folks, you don't have a driver for every camera. Prior to about two years ago, every camera had its own driver. Today the interface is standardized, and modern cameras all appear as a Mass Storage Device.

Supporting 90% of all current and most likely 100% of all future cameras would just mean supporting MSD.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Originally posted by jettredmont
Folks, you don't have a driver for every camera. Prior to about two years ago, every camera had its own driver. Today the interface is standardized, and modern cameras all appear as a Mass Storage Device.

Supporting 90% of all current and most likely 100% of all future cameras would just mean supporting MSD.

Exactly. This is why you can just plug your camera into your Mac.

The dock connector has a USB interface, and the controller is capable of acting as a USB host. I can't see any reason why a simple cable connection wouldn't be possible...

[Edit: not that this has anything to do with the current thread, mind you...]

hokka

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2003
Sydney
There are no single 1GB Flash yet

Recently I was speaking with a mac distibutor here in Oz, he said that basically the 1GB Flash versions currently available are basically 2 x 512MB soldered together, and are CRAP (ie. not reliable at all!).

If you can imagine the thiness of the flash boards found in USB and MP3 players, it is very easy for leak and short to happen, especially when they are one on top of the other. He had quiet a few customer returning them due to lost data and he had to pay them out of his own pocket and vowed never to sell them again (well, at least until there is a true 1GB or more versions available).

Geetar

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2002
USA
Re: Re: Re: Re: ePod?

Originally posted by CmdrLaForge
pPod ? ? ? Why that ?

Oh freddled gruntbuggly thy micturations are to me as....er....a yellow iPod.

Hope that answers your question;)

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Hey guys, I'm opening my lips some more, and I can tell you that it's VERY likely (sp?) it will happen. I've heard some price points, but I'm not 100% on what it is, but it's lower than $200, a lot less.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
THREE CHEERS FOR THE MOLE!

Originally posted by the_mole1314
Hey guys, I'm opening my lips some more, and I can tell you that it's VERY likely (sp?) it will happen. I've heard some price points, but I'm not 100% on what it is, but it's lower than $200, a lot less.

sethwerkheiser

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
I only have 4GB worth of music, so a 5GB version would rock. But after hinting to my wife that we could back-up her school work on it, and put our digital photos on it, I think she might be sold on the 10GB version... hehe...

We'll see though. I do know we'll be hitting the Apple store on Black Friday so boy-oh-boy - I can't wait to see what they do :)

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
mini-iPod?

Unless we are talking about a 5 GB iPod that is smaller/lighter to the current models, I do not think that it will turn out to be true. 1.8" drives come with 10 GB minimum. Compact Flash drives come in those capacities on the high-end.

If a mini-iPod comes out I would rather that it also have a built-in media card reader and also Bluetooth. With such an iPod I imagine receiving iTunes credits instantly at McDonalds and using it to back-up data from cameras and mobile phones. Having said that, digital photos would be best to browse on a relatively high resolution screen which is where the next-generation iPod will fit into the picture.

Tulse

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
I've heard some price points, but I'm not 100% on what it is, but it's lower than $200, a lot less.

I would be hugely surprised if Apple could produce a hard-drive-based player as small as the iPod for under $200. The 1.8" hard drives simply cost too much. And I really can't see Apple producing a flash-based player, since the whole selling point of the iPod is that it can carry your whole music library -- there would be very little to distinguish a flash iPod from other flash-based players, many of which are tiny.

If Apple can pull off an iPod at that pricepoint, I'll be tremendously impressed, but right now, I'm skeptical.

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
Works with iTunes

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but there is a niche that could be filled here. (If it is, I'm buying one this year, and another to be bought as a gift.)

iTunes works solely with the iPod, and therefore the other players are not an option for "effortless" synching of a playlist. I don't need 10-40 gig, as much as I would like it (can't afford it right now since I'm paying off my new 12" powerbook...). 5 Gig (or even 3?) is more than enough for a day's worth of songs.

Show me another player that can synch to my playlist and is smaller than a CD player (and costs under say, $200) and that company may have a customer.

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England
It seems unlikely since the whole point of such a large storage capacity in the iPod is not for the reason that you can carry your whole music collection around with you, but rather that you *can* carry your whole music collection around with you and thus not need to worry about syncing, putting the right tape in your pocket, etc. etc. The whole point is: you don't have to think about what's on and not on your iPod, it's just *there*. That's what Steve said himself in the latest Financial Review, and would therefore make a 5GB iPod (or removable storage/flash iPod) unlikely. You end up spending more time moving songs to and from the device, instead of just pressing "play".

Having said that, a 5GB iPod at $99 would sell like hotcakes, make iTunes the preferred music store of choice, and essentially wipe out forevermore any competition in the digital music distribution arena.

As for the next iLife app to go to Windows, it'll have to be iChat. The IM scene on the Windows side is lamentable (too much choice, not enough stability) - and this is what I've been told from Windows users!!! iChat would sell iSights. No other iApp really has that associated hardware link (iPhoto, iMovie, etc.)

Apple have been prudent in unstable times. Steve himself said that he sees this economic slump gradually recovering. If during the hard times Apple was releasing flat panel iMacs, touch sensitive iPods and 17" G4 PowerBooks, just imagine what they'll be doing in the good times!!!

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
ipods, ipods, ipods! i agree with most that a cheaper 5g ipod is pretty unlikely. when sales have been as good as they have, why would they undermine themselves? unless the manufacturing costs start coming down, ipods will continue to be expensive.

for those that think apple will ever use flash cards instead of hard drives, you've had too many pan-galactic gargle blasters. the price/storage ratio is just way too high!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.