Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mbosse

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Vienna, Austria
The sleep issue is mostly related to the Sintech adapter being used on older Mac models. There are also drives that are not really Mac Compatible with most, like the 970 Evo Plus.

But popular Mac Upgrade blades include Sabrent Rocket, Adata SX8200 Pro, and regular Samsung 970 Evo.

I have opted for the expensive but problem eliminating solution from OWC, Aura X2, after problems with the Sintech adapter (that apparently only I am experiencing on my 2019 model).
According to my knowledge your above statements are not correct. First, the sleep/wake issues are common to almost all iMacs before Mid 2017, regardless which SSD you put in. Further, the Samsung 970 Evo Plus is indeed fully Mac compatible with the latest firmware update provided by Samsung (with all above exceptions pertaining to pre-2017 iMacs). I can confirm this with first hand experience as well.

If you read through the first (wiki) post of this thread you find a few isolated cases where pre-Mid 2017 iMac do not face the sleep wake issue, but I could not identify commonalities which could serve as guide.

Lastly, the choice of the Sintech Adapter indeed is important. It seems like the a few of them were simply wrongly wired. Also this is mentioned in the first post.

@Jadacrook, to answer your specific questions:
  1. Your firmware seems out of date to me. Update to the latest macOS or do a fresh new install of it to get it updated. The list of current firmware numbers is given here: https://eclecticlight.co/2019/10/08/which-efi-firmware-should-your-mac-be-using-version-4/
  2. I do not know the M13 SSD. I recommend staying with one of the tested compatible ones listed in the first post.
  3. For iMacs older than mid-2017 the sleep/wake issue can be resolved with a terminal command. Also listed in the first post.
  4. You can either clone or install freshly. But please the former only after you considered (1).

Hope this helps.
Magnus

Last edited:
Reactions: Godiexx

Jadacrook

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2020
According to my knowledge your above statements are not correct. First, the sleep/wake issues are common to almost all iMacs before Mid 2017, regardless which SSD you put in. The Samsung 970 Evo Plus is indeed fully Mac compatible with the latest firmware update provided by Samsung. I can confirm this with first hand experience as well.

If you read through the first (wiki) post of this thread you find a few isolated cases where pre-Mid 2017 iMac do not face the sleep wake issue, but I could not identify commonalities which could serve as guide.

Lastly, the choice of the Sintech Adapter indeed is important. It seems like the a few of them were simply wrongly wired. Also this is mentioned in the first post.

@Jadacrook, to answer your specific questions:
  1. Your firmware seems out of date to me. Update to the latest macOS or do a fresh new install of it to get it updated. The list of current firmware numbers is given here: https://eclecticlight.co/2019/10/08/which-efi-firmware-should-your-mac-be-using-version-4/
  2. I do not know the M13 SSD. I recommend staying with one of the tested compatible ones listed in the first post.
  3. For iMacs older than mid-2017 the sleep/wake issue can be resolved with a terminal command. Also listed in the first post.
  4. You can either clone or install freshly. But please the former only after you considered (1).

Hope this helps.
Magnus

Thank for reply. This is great info.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
hi all,

Great thread! I wish I'd found it earlier.

I've got a late 2014 iMac 5K with a 1TB Fusion Drive. According to a couple different drive utilities, the blade SSD on this thing (128GB) is at ~12.5% of its wear-levelling lifetime left. (My understanding is that the way a Fusion Drive works puts a ton of read/write cycles onto a smaller SSD like this one, since the Mac is always migrating data onto and off of it as it's used.)

Anyway, having some time on my hands in quarantine, I bought an iFixit kit and a 2 TB SATA SSD, and was going to just replace the HDD on this thing. I'd been under the impression that it wasn't practical to try to replace the blade SSD, that they were proprietary and problematic to deal with -- but reading this thread has me thinking that's not as true as I'd thought.

So, if I'm reading this right, I can install my 2TB SATA SSD and also install an NVMe M.2 drive, using this adapter. And, I understand, this would be a lot faster than just running off the SATA SSD? How much faster? Would I actually notice it in normal day to day use? I'm not doing 4K video editing here, mostly general stuff, some graphic design, some video and audio editing but nothing crazy.

I ask because I'd be spending another $150 or so on additional hardware (on top of the money I've already spent on the SATA SSD and repair kit) and if it's really just a marginal difference on this six year-old iMac I might just go with the SATA SSD and call it a day.

thanks

Last edited:

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
It’s very hard to notice the difference in normal day to day use.
NVME drives have a very high throughput for very large file transfer, and it’s a very low percentage of standard disk usage.
For random access to a lot of small files (which represents the majority of disk access) the performance difference is less noticeable

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
It’s very hard to notice the difference in normal day to day use.
NVME drives have a very high throughput for very large file transfer, and it’s a very low percentage of standard disk usage.
For random access to a lot of small files (which represents the majority of disk access) the performance difference is less noticeable

Very helpful, thanks. Given that this is a 2014 iMac I'm gonna just stick with the 2TB Crucial SATA SSD I bought and call it a day.

Now I just have to crack this thing open and do the actual install instead of lazily continuing to boot into my new SSD off of an external USB enclosure....

SSDinjeMac.nl

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2020
Goodmorning,

First of all, great post!

I'm having a late 2015 model with 970 EVO Blade SSD and as described, I've changed the hibernate mode. The iMac is nog crashing anymore, but I have the strange issue that the iMac is starting randomly, what could the be? All energy safe settings are turned off.

Thanks!

André Nikolaj Duus

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2020
Device: Late 2015 - 17,1 - MK482LL/A (3.3GHz i5-6600)
Blade upgrade: 128GB Blade -> 1TB WD Black SN750 NVME
HDD upgrade: 2TB SATA HDD -> No Change
Speed test: 2800 MB/s read, 2650 MB/s write
Adapter: Sintech ST-NGFF2013 (Wasn’t listed as version “C”)
Temperature sensor: none
Issues after fresh OS install: Sleep crashes system so I just disabled sleep

Boot ROM Version: 175.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.34f3

Drive shows up as normal internal disk when holding Alt at boot
Searching for NVMe in BootRom with UEFITool: Full size: 4B4Ah (19274)

Note: When trying to create a Windows installation, Boot Camp Assistant will display an an error message: “Boot Camp Assistant has encountered a problem - An internal error has occurred” and will not let me proceed. The problem doesn’t exist if I recreate a fusion drive. The mere presence of a second internal disk seems to be screwing up Boot Camp Assistant. No idea if this is a Catalina issue or just a problem with Boot Camp Assistant and having multiple internal drives.

Hi guys - I really need som help here (please) !!

Just installed a fresh new Sintech Adapter and WD SN750 1TB SSD bought from Amazon in my iMac Late 2015 (running Catalina 10.15.4, SilentKnight reports EFI firmware 176.0.0.0.0 is up to date) both parts should be compatible following various articles that i found.

This was what I bought:
1 X Sintech NGFF M.2 nVME SSD Adapter Card, for Upgrade 2013-2015 Year Macs(Not Fit Early 2013 MacBook Pro)
Sold by Sintech.cn
£16.66

1 X Western Digital_Black SN750 1 TB NVMe Internal Gaming SSD - Generation 3 PCIe, M.2 2280, 3D NAND
Sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
£139.99

But my Mac can't find the disk in Disk Utility (with expanded the view) ,-(((
I boot into recovery mode from a USB-boot (also Catalina 10.15.4) and have also tried via a USB-Ubuntu with the disk utility with no luck .....

opend her up again: and here’s a picture of my mounting. Could this be the problem?

Attachments

• A990283D-F05F-4463-96E3-001F8CED7886.jpeg
    A990283D-F05F-4463-96E3-001F8CED7886.jpeg
    337.6 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:

Painkiller

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2009
I am shelling out for the 1TB OWC Aura X2 as I can not afford any problems with this computer.
I made the mistake by installing the 240 GB version of the aura pro x2 blade. And I am having the hibernation issue with kernel panics. Owc offers their stuff as highly compatible. After clean reinstall and changed boot rom from 173.000.... 175.000... nothing changed with the blade Ssd in my Imac 17,1. perhaps I go for a used Apple blade Ssd.

André Nikolaj Duus

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2020
SOLVED: Hi guys - I really need som help here (please) !!

Just installed a fresh new Sintech Adapter and WD SN750 1TB SSD bought from Amazon in my iMac Late 2015 (running Catalina 10.15.4, SilentKnight reports EFI firmware 176.0.0.0.0 is up to date) both parts should be compatible following various articles that i found.

This was what I bought:
1 X Sintech NGFF M.2 nVME SSD Adapter Card, for Upgrade 2013-2015 Year Macs(Not Fit Early 2013 MacBook Pro)
Sold by Sintech.cn
£16.66

1 X Western Digital_Black SN750 1 TB NVMe Internal Gaming SSD - Generation 3 PCIe, M.2 2280, 3D NAND
Sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
£139.99

But my Mac can't find the disk in Disk Utility (with expanded the view) ,-(((
I boot into recovery mode from a USB-boot (also Catalina 10.15.4) and have also tried via a USB-Ubuntu with the disk utility with no luck .....

opend her up again: and here’s a picture of my mounting. Could this be the problem?

SOLVED: I had a bad mounting !! Worked after re-mounting of the two cards (wasn't inserted 100%) ... Managed to crack my screen ,-((((

Reactions: mbosse

Painkiller

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2009
Goodmorning,

First of all, great post!

I'm having a late 2015 model with 970 EVO Blade SSD and as described, I've changed the hibernate mode. The iMac is nog crashing anymore, but I have the strange issue that the iMac is starting randomly, what could the be? All energy safe settings are turned off.

Thanks!

just found it.... :cool:

transattic

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007
** Successful Upgrades iMac 5K 2019 ! **

RAM + Blade + HDD upgrade

Device :
Early 2019 - iMac 27" - 19,1 - 3.6 GHz Core i9 (I9-9900K) - A2115 (EMC 3194)
Blade upgrade : 128GB Blade --> 1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS SSD - M.2 NVMe
HDD upgrade : 2TB SATA HDD --> 2TB Adata SU800 SSD
Memory RAM upgrade : 2 x 4 Go (8Go) --> 4 x 16 Go (64Go) Timetec
Blade Speed test : up to 3600 MB/s read, 2963 MB/s write
SATA SSD Speed test : up to 560 MB/s read, 494 MB/s write
Adapter for the blade : Sintech ST-NGFF2013 (the long one) - Sintech NGFF M.2 nVME SSD Adapter Card for Upgrade 2013-2015 Year Macs + some Kapton tape
Heatsink for the blade * : GLOTRENDS Aluminum Heatsinks (just used the silicone rings and thermal pads on both side of the blade + heatsink on top, i didn't used the metal buckles included to prevent potential short-circuit.
Temperature sensor for SATA SSD : OCW sensor from this kit : OWC in-Line Digital Thermal Sensor HDD Upgrade Cable and Install Tools for iMac 2012, (OWCDIYIMACHDD12) + Newer Tech Adaptadrive 2.5 to 3.5
Issues after fresh OS install : none, everything works good!

* Notes :

• First i used this heatsink for the blade but it was too thick to put back the motherboard in place, so i put the GLOTRENDS instead.
• Also i had to update the NVMe driver on the Samsung 970 EVO PLUS before installing it to make it compatible with the Sintech adapter using a TB3 NVME enclosure. (Samsung website to download NVMe driver + installation guide.)
• Mac Os Catalina is on the blade with all the apps + my Adobe CC files + i changed the location of my user repertory to have all the files (images, desk, documents, videos, etc.) on the SATA SSD.

Couldn't be happier with the new performances of my iMac and i don't regret losing my warranty on those upgrades. ;)

Wish you luck!

Hey @Roxanita,

Thanks for sharing all your research and results! I've been hunting for a successful iMac 2019 + Samsung Evo 970 Plus 2TB upgrade and I'm glad I've found one!

In regards to updating the NVMe driver on the blade ssd, did you need a PC to run the .exe file?

And what's the Kapton tape for? and how do you apply it, if it's necessary?

Last edited:

hifitoaster

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2020
Device: Early 2019 - 19.1 - MRR12LL/A (3.0Ghz i5-8500, Fusion 1TB HDD + 32GB blade)

Blade upgrade: 32GB OEM Apple SSD -> Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB (revision 2B2QEXM7)

HDD upgrade : 1TB SATA HDD --> Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB

Blade Speed test: 3037 MB/s read, 2753 MB/s write

SATA SSD Speed test: 520MB/s read, 480MB/s write

Adapter: Sintech ST-NGFF2013

Issues after install: No issues with macOS. After many attempts, I've finally found a config that works with Bootcamp.

05/10/2020 Update: I've discovered my mic audio volume is VERY quiet. It seems I'll need to buy more adhesive, open it again, trim the adhesive to prevent it from covering the mic opening, then close it back up.

Attempt #1: Post upgrade, I cloned my macOS using SuperDuper to the Evo Plus in a USB-C NVME enclosure. I then opened the iMac and swapped the drives. When I powered up, it booted to macOS successfully. However the fusion drive is split and I get an error when I try to run the bootcamp assistant to get my windows partition setup again.

Attempt #2: Re-build Fusion drive with the two SSDs. I’m able to get the 1.5TB fusion drive set up using terminal commands. Bootcamp assistant is still cranky and gives me an error stating it can’t partition the drives. When I run it from the terminal, I get the message that there isn’t enough free space, yet there is more than a terabyte of free space.

Attempt #3: Remove the SATA SSD from the iMac, put it into an enclosure, create an external Windows 10 SSD drive. I followed a guide to attempt this. When I get to the step to plug in the external and pass it through to the VM, Windows 10 makes a bunch of connecting/disconnecting sounds, but the drive is never visible in Disk Manager to manipulate the partitions and install Win 10 on there.

Attempt #4: Re-install 1TB SATA SSD inside the iMac. Format 500gb FAT32, 500GB hfs+. Using VMware with Win 10 on Mac, create a bootable USB drive with windows 10 iso using Rufus. Copy the Bootcamp drivers using Bootcamp Assistant to the USB stick. Reboot, boot to the USB stick, install windows 10. Windows didn't like any of the partitions I made, so I removed them all in the windows installer and let it create 500gb of partitions it liked. Install bootcamp drivers. No sound through the headphone jack or internal iMac speakers. But using my USB speakers, sound is working fine. Brightness control and volume on keyboard does not work. Maybe I'll find a way to get those going, but for now, this works fine. I had to use Paragon Disk Manager to reformat the 500gb space for the Mac, for some reason Disk Utility wasn't able to.

Last edited:

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Has anyone tried this WD Gold SSD? Is it compatible with an iMac (particularly the 2017 model)?
8f3829631e030073e9a9fcdfb5b32da1.jpg

Reactions: medisaboy1

medisaboy1

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2020
- I want to upgrade my iMac 2019.I do video editing and I'm debating between M2 WD 750 2tb and Samsung 970 eve plus 2tb.

- If I buy one of them should I get a heatsink ?
- My understanding is that if you buy the Sintech ST-NGFF2013-C adapter I need to add the Kapton tape. My question is where do I add that ?
-DO I need a different screw for the Me adapter ?

konem4n

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2020
Hi there,
I am now doing a blade SSD upgrade to my iMac 2017 27". It is a 2TB fusion drive version and updated to latest Catalina and "de-fusion" already.

I have a `adata sx8200 pro 2TB` and a `adapter`, but the machine doesn't recognise the new blade.

Do I need to format the new blade before installation?

I also suspect the adapter I have is not the correct type or malfunction.
1588569525056.png
1588569551959.png

mbosse

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Vienna, Austria
Hi there,
I am now doing a blade SSD upgrade to my iMac 2017 27". It is a 2TB fusion drive version and updated to latest Catalina and "de-fusion" already.

I have a `adata sx8200 pro 2TB` and a `adapter`, but the machine doesn't recognise the new blade.

Do I need to format the new blade before installation?

I also suspect the adapter I have is not the correct type or malfunction.
View attachment 911939 View attachment 911940
Could you elaborate what you mean with 'machine doesn't recognise the new blade"? Are you not able to install or does Disk Utility not see the drive?

The latter would indicate a defective drive, adapter or simply improper seating of drive/adapter. The former could also mean it's not properly formatted.

Magnus

konem4n

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2020
Could you elaborate what you mean with 'machine doesn't recognise the new blade"? Are you not able to install or does Disk Utility not see the drive?

The latter would indicate a defective drive, adapter or simply improper seating of drive/adapter. The former could also mean it's not properly formatted.

Magnus

Thanks for the reply.
My case is not seeing the disk in Disk Utility.

Then, it's probably due to a defective adapter

Kone

mbosse

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Vienna, Austria
- I want to upgrade my iMac 2019.I do video editing and I'm debating between M2 WD 750 2tb and Samsung 970 eve plus 2tb.

- If I buy one of them should I get a heatsink ?
- My understanding is that if you buy the Sintech ST-NGFF2013-C adapter I need to add the Kapton tape. My question is where do I add that ?
-DO I need a different screw for the Me adapter ?
A compact heatsink is recommendable as the fast drives tend to get hot - here's what I used on a Samsung 970 Evo:

PC160968d.jpg

There is lots of clearance still to the iMac housing:

PC160969d.jpg

The Kapton tape is fitted to the contacts on the adapter, as the contacts otherwise might tough the metal housing of the Apple-SSD port. Here is an example on how to apply it:

NVME-Upgrade_KaptonTape.jpg

Finally, I did well with the original screw. See first image above.

Magnus
[automerge]1588571377[/automerge]
Thanks for the reply.
My case is not seeing the disk in Disk Utility.

Then, it's probably due to a defective adapter

Kone
Try to re-seat it first (both SSD-> Adapter and also Adapter-> iMac) and try also Kapton tape.

konem4n

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2020
Try to re-seat it first (both SSD-> Adapter and also Adapter-> iMac) and try also Kapton tape.

I did it several times but no luck. (Tired of plug and unplug cables o_O)
I will check whether the disk is malfunction later, or buy another adapter. (The current one I have is brand-less)

Is Kapton tape essential? I see it serves an extra protection only.

Kone

IceOnFire

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2020
Blade + CPU upgrade

Device
: iMac 5K 2019 (MRQY2LL/A)
Blade upgrade: 32 GB -> Samsung 970 EVO 1TB (I didn’t have to update the firmware)
Speed test: 2700 MB/s read, 2900 MB/s write
Adapter: Sintech ST-NGFF2013-C (added Kapton tape & heatsink)
OS install: I purchased an external NVME —> USB adapter and used Carbon Copy to clone my current iMac 2014 system to the new drive. The system booted up without any issues and the system is running without any issues.

I wanted to say this thread was very helpful in capturing potential issues and offering workarounds and solutions to common issues. This is the first time I’ve ever opened an iMac and after watching several YouTube videos, I felt well informed and comfortable with the process.

The most challenging for me was ensuring all the old adhesive was removed and unfortunately, I did end up removing some of the black mylar from the inside of the display. However my wife was able to paint the spots over with acrylic paint, so it looks good as new. I’ve read some horror stories of adhesives failing and cracked displays, so I chose the conservative route by taping the display painters tape and leaving it on for a week or so.

medisaboy1

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2020
A compact heatsink is recommendable as the fast drives tend to get hot - here's what I used on a Samsung 970 Evo:

View attachment 911942

There is lots of clearance still to the iMac housing:

View attachment 911944

The Kapton tape is fitted to the contacts on the adapter, as the contacts otherwise might tough the metal housing of the Apple-SSD port. Here is an example on how to apply it:

View attachment 911943

Finally, I did well with the original screw. See first image above.

Magnus
[automerge]1588571377[/automerge]

Amazing information thanks a lot.

Question: Can I buy the drive with the build in heatsink ?

konem4n

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2020
I did it several times but no luck. (Tired of plug and unplug cables o_O)
I will check whether the disk is malfunction later, or buy another adapter. (The current one I have is brand-less)

Is Kapton tape essential? I see it serves an extra protection only.

Kone

I found my disk (ADATA SX8200 pro 2TB) and adapter are working fine on MacBook Pro 2014, which able to install OS.
No idea why it is not working on iMac (2017 27").

UPDATE:
ok. Turns out SSD is probably too hot. I replaced a better heatsink and everything is working :p:p:p

Last edited:
Reactions: mbosse

Jadacrook

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2020
Hi guys going to attempt to switch out the blade on my 27" 5k late 2015 imac. I have purchased the: Sintech NGFF M.2 nVME SSD Adapter Card.

I am also looking to purchase the sabrent Rocket Q NVMe PCIe m.2 2280 ssd too as i can pick up the 2tb for around £240.

Can anyone confirm this is compatible please? Or notify any particular draw backs with this drive and my device? My understanding is that its a QLC Nand flash, i hear i should expect lower endurance and slower speeds :( I intend to use this as my primary os drive, which i use for high end music production. will this be an issue. Any advice wil be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

hifitoaster

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2020
Blade + CPU upgrade

Device
: iMac 5K 2019 (MRQY2LL/A)
Blade upgrade: 32 GB -> Samsung 970 EVO 1TB (I didn’t have to update the firmware)
Speed test: 2700 MB/s read, 2900 MB/s write
Adapter: Sintech ST-NGFF2013-C (added Kapton tape & heatsink)
OS install: I purchased an external NVME —> USB adapter and used Carbon Copy to clone my current iMac 2014 system to the new drive. The system booted up without any issues and the system is running without any issues.

I wanted to say this thread was very helpful in capturing potential issues and offering workarounds and solutions to common issues. This is the first time I’ve ever opened an iMac and after watching several YouTube videos, I felt well informed and comfortable with the process.

The most challenging for me was ensuring all the old adhesive was removed and unfortunately, I did end up removing some of the black mylar from the inside of the display. However my wife was able to paint the spots over with acrylic paint, so it looks good as new. I’ve read some horror stories of adhesives failing and cracked displays, so I chose the conservative route by taping the display painters tape and leaving it on for a week or so.

Does your microphone work? I recently upgraded my iMac 5K 2019 and my mic is now VERY quiet.

According to this thread, it seems the adhesive tape needs to be trimmed top prevent blocking the mic opening. I wish I would've known that BEFORE. I bought my parts from iFixit.

IceOnFire

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2020
Does your microphone work? I recently upgraded my iMac 5K 2019 and my mic is now VERY quiet.

According to this thread, it seems the adhesive tape needs to be trimmed top prevent blocking the mic opening. I wish I would've known that BEFORE. I bought my parts from iFixit.

I actually read about this issue before my installation and I was careful not to cover the microphone which works fine after the upgrade. Sounds like you may need to apply a new set of adhesives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.