Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vincent.m.e

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2020
I also tried to remove all 'previous receipents' which helped a littel for a while. Do others also see semder names 'flipping' from one to another, corrospoding to usernames in differnt address books and differnt previous receipients? My feeling is that accountsd is going bonkers if it finds the same email in differnet places...

lpuerto

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2014
Europe
Being reluctant to go through all these steps, I tried the following and it seems to have been enough to solve the issue for me :
- Quit Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Reminder, Notes
- in System Preferences > Internet Accounts, select your Exchange account
- Uncheck everything (Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Reminder, Notes)
- Wait a few minutes
- Reboot
- In System Preferences > Internet Accounts, select again your Exchange account and enable the services you need to sync

This didn't work for me and I need to do the complete solution to make it work.

Last edited:

borisared

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2019
Spain
Im running 10.15.3 on a late 2014 mac mini, 8Gb RAM. Its the GMail accounts, removed them rebooted, now all good. Using standard IMAP accounts, its google and apple. Dont use gmail or use Thunderbird, im going with the first option

lpuerto

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2014
Europe
Im running 10.15.3 on a late 2014 mac mini, 8Gb RAM. Its the GMail accounts, removed them rebooted, now all good. Using standard IMAP accounts, its google and apple. Dont use gmail or use Thunderbird, im going with the first option
Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 14.59.06.png

I don't have a lot of problem with my gmail account. Only that it gets stuck in this from time to time, but it's not a lot of trouble.

Yeah… I agree that mail app in Catalina is just a lemon compare to previous editions.

PS/ There have been always problems, but there is hardly a better alternative as an email client.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I'm thinking Apple's going to rip & replace Mail in whatever is the next major release of macOS. It'll probably be a Catalyst-esque app so it's functionally the same on both platforms. I read somewhere awhile back the same treatment might also be coming to Messages.

gr4v1ty

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2014
Does 10.15.4 fix the issue? My problem is with wifi on too, not only when searching for wifi...

swbones

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2020
10.15.4 does not fix the issue. I've been on with Apple support every other day now for a week and all she wants to do is run logs when the problem occurs so she can send the data to the engineers. I do find re-booting the computer allows me a window where the accountsd process doesn't immediate go to 400% of CPU. But it does not last very long. I did play around with disabling/enabling mail accounts under the watchful eye of Apple tech support and we were able to isolate the problem to my iCloud account. None of my Exchange accounts triggered the problem and I do not have any Gmail accounts (don't trust Google for anything). I find I have to keep Mail closed and check my iOS devices for any incoming mail that needs attention. This on a new 16" MBP, i9, 32 GB RAM. It is a ton of money to spend for a laptop that can't even support email. Truly unbelievable!

Muscovite

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2020
10.15.4 Same problem, accountsd process CPU utilisation 470% (beat ya with your measly 400%, swbones! ???) , CPU Temp sensor 100 Centigrade. Bravo, Apple. Not only is the Mail app totally unusable, I could barely move my mouse pointer to quit the darn thing.

Spent an hour on the phone with Apple support, they had me set up a new user on the same Mac, I set up the exact same accounts (IMAP, Apple, Exchange) in the Mail app - no issues. They didn't have an explanation.

Incidentally, this is a new Mac , and I started afresh, didn't use the migration assistant and set up all those accounts from scratch.

Go figure.

Metatone

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2013
FWIW I had this problem, solved it with reinstalling the Exchange accounts, but it has now come back - but it seems to be linked to one of the Exchange servers being currently offline. (I have 2 accounts with 2 different Exchange servers.)

swbones

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2020
Has anyone tested 15.5 to see if Apple has fixed this issue?

I have to reboot every other day to get the memory used by the accountsd process to reset. Before rebooting this AM accountsd was using 3 GB. Now 76 MB. This seems to work but is a pain.

Apple support has not responded in over two weeks with any response to the testing that we ran on my machine.

Gizmo.Ben

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2020
Hi ! I downloaded and installed 15.5 3 hours ago, at the moment it seems accountsd is using less ressources than before. I am not sure yet that the problem is solved but it seems to come back slower than it use to ! Fingers crossed ;-)

DaFireStorm

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
Has anyone tested 15.5 to see if Apple has fixed this issue?

I have to reboot every other day to get the memory used by the accountsd process to reset. Before rebooting this AM accountsd was using 3 GB. Now 76 MB. This seems to work but is a pain.

Apple support has not responded in over two weeks with any response to the testing that we ran on my machine.
Yeah I updated and problem still remains. Incredible that people have been reporting this bug since 2015 and it still remains...

Gizmo.Ben

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2020
Yep, it came back, but seems to be better than before... I tried everything before, deleting accounts completely etc.

swbones

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2020
I just had to reboot 15.5. Pretty pissed at Apple as I paid over $4K for this machine and it can't even run Mail. I actually have to stop typing emails when it heats up and often it doesn't even save my work when I quit mail because the processor is so far behind. Inexcusable!

CliveJive

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2020
Had the same problem - discovered it was my Exchange account. Got rid of that account and set up IMAP to connect to exchange...at last! all fixed on 15.5 - no heating, no battery drain and hot spot is working again!

Reactions: satcomer

mrtn78

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2020
Same problem here. I've got 2 Exchange accounts and mail is crashing time after time. Running version 10.15.5 and still no fix from apple. Hoping Big Sur will fix it...

Last edited:

sdp77

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2019
For different reasons, I went through several MBPs 16" this spring. With one of them, I had the same issue: Accountsd was going crazy plus the fans were having a blast. I have returned it the following day. Never had the same issue with the replacement without making any changes to my settings.

CliveJive

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2020
Same problem here. I've got 2 Exchange accounts and mail is crashing time after time. Running version 10.15.5 and sill no fix from apple. Hoping Big Sur will fix it...
Why don’t you run the exchange accounts as IMAP - delete the old accounts and set up new accounts as ‘other’ then enter your settings for the exchange accounts - problem solved!

mrtn78

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2020
Why don’t you run the exchange accounts as IMAP - delete the old accounts and set up new accounts as ‘other’ then enter your settings for the exchange accounts - problem solved!
Except for the calendar synchronisation. I would like to keep an overview of my 3 agenda's.

nikolaj

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2020
I think I found a fix to this problem.

Please follow these steps:

1. Make a backup of Apple Mail messages if you store anything locally (like storing something On My Mac, downloading via POP3 etc).

2. Go to System Preferences > Internet Accounts.

3. Delete all Exchange accounts.

4. Delete ~/Library/Mail and ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail folders (this will reset Apple Mail and its preferences).

5. Restart the Mac and uncheck "Reopen windows when logging back in" to make sure Apple Mail won't start after rebooting.

6. Go to Internet Accounts, click on +, select Exchange, enter your name and email address.

7. Click on Configure Manually and enter your password.

8. Uncheck everything (like Contacts, Notes, Calendar etc) and leave only Mail checked. You will be able to add it later (see below).

9. Start Apple Mail and go to Preferences > Accounts.

10. Select your Exchange account and click on Server Settings tab.

11. Uncheck "Automatically manage connection settings".

12. Make sure both Internal and External URLs are set to https://outlook.office365.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx.

13. Close Preferences and restart Apple Mail.

14. If you need Contacts and Calendars, go to System Preferences > Internet Accounts, select your Exchange account and enable the services you need to sync.

Thats it. I was waiting for 2 days and it's been working fine so far, no CPU spikes when no connection, accountsd and Mail processes are quiet.

Let me know if it helps or if you have any other questions regarding this.

Thanks man! I just did step 4 about deleting the ~/Library/Mail and ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail folders. I am not using Apple Mail and have never done, so I was quite surprised when the accountsd process started eating all of my CPU this morning. But this did the trick. Thanks again!

Don Tomato

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2016
still an issue with 10.15.7 and previously suggested methods make no permanent change, high cpu comes back in a few hours

planH

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2020
Got this BS last night, all cores at 100%
Restart did not resolve anything,
i saw in Little Snitch that "commerce" is sending endlessly data to init.icloud.apple.com (not much around 120kb/s)

i solved that problem with a quick LOGOUT via Settings -> Apple Id.
then relogin, after some seconds everything went "ok"

• Love
Reactions: Ilker Acikhan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.