Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
When Motorola showed us Moto G for the first time, one thing come to realization is that you do not need spent tons of money for a good smartphone experience. It used to be that crappy build quality and sluggish performance are common with the cheap smartphone. But ever since Moto G, the affordable smartphone became whole new level.

Now we have premium smartphone at relative affordable price point. Take Oneplus 2, OnePlus X, Moto X Play and Moto X Style, Huawei 5X and LG Nexus 5X. Those phone have great build quality and strong spec with low price tags. The affordable smartphone become so good that it is good option for many people.

iPhone are expensive and there is no doubt about that. iPhone offers experiences that none of Android phone can provide. iPhone is sleek, fast and offers great ecosystems that unique. Generally using iPhone equals great experiences.

However, when affordable smartphone become so good these days, one can start questioning why would someone spend upward of 700 dollars for iPhone? Clearly that is legit question. When all these affordable smartphone can satisfy majority people's need, then these affordable phones will start grab more and more customers from premium offering. And we certainly starting seeing these trend. With times goes by and more affordable premium phone in the market, iPhone will be facing tough competitions.

I will never doubt that Apple will still sell tons of iPhone. But Apple probably won't able to sell as much as iPhone before. Given iPhone's growth is relative flat and Apple is warning sales declining for next quarter. Plus the dramatic growth of Xiaomi, Huawei, OnePlus and Moto, one can confidently say that affordable smartphone will able to dominate market and premium offering will become something niche.

I am carrying Moto X 2014, Moto X Play, Moto X Style and have Moto G, Huawei P8, Nexus 5 and Xiaomi Mi4C. I never felt those phone are slow. All of them running decently. And for normal day to day tasks, I don't even feel
speed difference between iPhone 6S and those phones. For what affordable smartphone can offer and the price point, I would think affordable smartphone would eventually dominate market.

That's just my personal opinion

Reactions: maxsix

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Honestly, I don't agree. I understand where you're coming from, and I can't comment on other countries. However in the USA I dont see Apple losing any market share as long as instalment plans are available. If a day ever comes where every American consumer has to spend atleast $700 upfront for an iPhone, will be the time when Apple sales significantly decrease.

The possibility of that happening in the USA is zero.

Reactions: mrex

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Its simple. Apple items carry prestige status to them whether the android folks like it or not.

Yes there are cheaper phones that are just as good and do the same job but people dont buy Range Rovers purely just to get from A to B.

If money was a key factor for me I wouldnt even buy those mid range phones you mention. I would spend much lower amounts on mint 1 yr old flagships eg Z3, Note 4, S6, S6 Edge etc.

Moto, LG, Huawei etc wouldn't even get a consideration unless they were £100 new.

Last edited:

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Its simple. Apple items carry prestige status to them whether the android folks like it or not.

Yes there are cheaper phones that are just as good and do the same job but people dont buy Range Rovers purely just to get from A to B.

If money was a key factor for me I wouldnt even buy those mid range phones you mention. I would spend much lower amounts on mint 1 yr old flagships eg Z3, Note 4, S6, S6 Edge etc.

Moto, LG, Huawei etc wouldn't even get a consideration unless they were £100 new.

How is iPhone carry prestige status when almost everyone has it and carry with buggy iOS 9?

Range Rovers is expensive because it is rare, where iPhone is almost everywhere. Ranger Rovers was not made by Chinese factories, but iPhone is. I don't understand why iPhone is so prestige and carry out that high social status.

Secondly. Even Moto E, the sub 100 dollar smartphone performs just as good as iPhone on day to day tasks. I don't know about you, but my Moto E never lag and the performs really great. I still believe that affordable mid-range smartphone will dominate smartphone market. Apple is going to face tough competition with all these premium Android smartphone and good mid-range phone and Apple will have hard time to convincing customers choice more expensive iPhone.
[doublepost=1454173921][/doublepost]
Honestly, I don't agree. I understand where you're coming from, and I can't comment on other countries. However in the USA I dont see Apple losing any market share as long as instalment plans are available. If a day ever comes where every American consumer has to spend atleast $700 upfront for an iPhone, will be the time when Apple sales significantly decrease.

The possibility of that happening in the USA is zero.

Does not matter if you paying on installment or not, you are paying for the phone. You are going to spent that 600-1000 dollars for that phone regardless.

Smartphone is not car or house where most people need to take loan or mortgage to buy one. There is absolutly no need for financing plan for smartphone. If 200 smartphone is decent enough for most people, why opt for more expensive phones?

Smartphone market will follow PC market where most people just buy pre-build cheap Windows PC. Because now days, even 300 PC is decent enough for most people.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
How is iPhone carry prestige status when almost everyone has it and carry with buggy iOS 9?

Range Rovers is expensive because it is rare, where iPhone is almost everywhere. Ranger Rovers was not made by Chinese factories, but iPhone is. I don't understand why iPhone is so prestige and carry out that high social status.

Secondly. Even Moto E, the sub 100 dollar smartphone performs just as good as iPhone on day to day tasks. I don't know about you, but my Moto E never lag and the performs really great. I still believe that affordable mid-range smartphone will dominate smartphone market. Apple is going to face tough competition with all these premium Android smartphone and good mid-range phone and Apple will have hard time to convincing customers choice more expensive iPhone.
[doublepost=1454173921][/doublepost]

Does not matter if you paying on installment or not, you are paying for the phone. You are going to spent that 600-1000 dollars for that phone regardless.

Smartphone is not car or house where most people need to take loan or mortgage to buy one. There is absolutly no need for financing plan for smartphone. If 200 smartphone is decent enough for most people, why opt for more expensive phones?

Smartphone market will follow PC market where most people just buy pre-build cheap Windows PC. Because now days, even 300 PC is decent enough for most people.

You have to take yourself out of the equation and look at it how the general consumers look at it.

Many people believe when they pay in installments plans, they are somehow paying less. Or when they do contract plans with a carrier they are paying less. Now you and I both know this is not true. However the general public have this belief.
In regards to the iPhone being a status symbol, it is imo. Many persons here will deny that the iPhone is not seen as a status symbol and most persons buy it because of its simplicity and how it just works. But again the general public sees it as a status symbol. Have you ever noticed that many iPhone users don't know any other phone apart from the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy?

Most consumers know that the iPhone is expensive. When these consumers see a Samsung which is the same price, they think it's a cheap phone. We live in a materialistic world. Although the iPhone is not exclusive it is still seen as a status symbol by many. This is just my opinion though.

For me, I have always told myself I will never spend over 500 on a phone. I have sticked to that so far and doubt I ever will.

Lastly this is just my opinion based on my observation and no hard facts. Just throwing this out there before anyone comes and tell me to find proof or evidence or whatever.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
You have to take yourself out of the equation and look at it how the general consumers look at it.

Many people believe when they pay in installments plans, they are somehow paying less. Or when they do contract plans with a carrier they are paying less. Now you and I both know this is not true. However the general public have this belief.
In regards to the iPhone being a status symbol, it is imo. Many persons here will deny that the iPhone is not seen as a status symbol and most persons buy it because of its simplicity and how it just works. But again the general public sees it as a status symbol. Have you ever noticed that many iPhone users don't know any other phone apart from the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy?

Most consumers know that the iPhone is expensive. When these consumers see a Samsung which is the same price, they think it's a cheap phone. We live in a materialistic world. Although the iPhone is not exclusive it is still seen as a status symbol by many. This is just my opinion though.

For me, I have always told myself I will never spend over 500 on a phone. I have sticked to that so far and doubt I ever will.

I believe the concept of paying instalment equals paying less for the phone is result of misleading by carriers. Many carrier around world advertising people can get iPhone for free or very little upfront cost and then burry true cost into monethly plan.

When you ask people how much did they pay for the phone, they will tell you they get it for free or the upfront cost, but alot of people believing that is the only cost. This is undoubtedly the effect of carriers direct misleads.

What is even more sad is that sometimes carrier will charge more money for some smartphones. For example in Canads, Google sells Nexus 5X for 389. But almost all carrier charges for 499. It is 100 dollars more expensive and people are paying for that much for the exactly same phones. What even more sad is that people don't realize that they are paying more for installment plan or contracts. For me, I will never sign into installment or contract. I would rather spend 389 for Nexus 5X and pick BOYD plans

Almost no one believe paying instalment for car or house equals cheap car and house. But people believe they are paying less for the phone, that is very strange thing to think. Because it is exactly the samething.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blaze4G

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
The iPhone is as prestigious as a Big Mac at McDonald's, served by millions, made cheap, and is bad for you.

[doublepost=1454176825][/doublepost]In the U.S. if carriers completely get rid of the monthly financing, or 2 year contracts, where a brand new iPhone only costs like $99, **** will hit the fan.

If all of a sudden in the U.S. you go into your carrier of choice, ask to pick up the new iPhone 7, and the salesperson says OK no problem, that'll be $800, people would totally freak out. And say WTF I'd never ever pay that much for a phone in a million years. ( even though they have been all these years on the monthly plan ). But if that happens, you will see flagship phone sales drop like a rock.

The U.S. will NEVER accept paying full price for phones, NEVER EVER

Last edited:

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
I believe the concept of paying instalment equals paying less for the phone is result of misleading by carriers. Many carrier around world advertising people can get iPhone for free or very little upfront cost and then burry true cost into monethly plan.

When you ask people how much did they pay for the phone, they will tell you they get it for free or the upfront cost, but alot of people believing that is the only cost. This is undoubtedly the effect of carriers direct misleads.

What is even more sad is that sometimes carrier will charge more money for some smartphones. For example in Canads, Google sells Nexus 5X for 389. But almost all carrier charges for 499. It is 100 dollars more expensive and people are paying for that much for the exactly same phones. What even more sad is that people don't realize that they are paying more for installment plan or contracts. For me, I will never sign into installment or contract. I would rather spend 389 for Nexus 5X and pick BOYD plans

Almost no one believe paying instalment for car or house equals cheap car and house. But people believe they are paying less for the phone, that is very strange thing to think. Because it is exactly the samething.
Exactly. Truth is many consumers are just oblivious / ignorant.
As tig bitties said, the day when installment plans go away if ever, will be the day all flagships fail to sell, not just iPhones.
I have heard many people not being able to buy a nexus 6p outright and is asking how can they get an installment plan. Or someone purchased a 6p and has to do RMA. Google puts a pending charge for the new phone until you send back the RMA and they cant afford the pending charge. Wth?! Where are people priorities. If you can't afford a 500 dollar phone outright, you should be buying a Moto E.

I don't know how people think of buying materialistic things and not know how they are going to afford food or their rent the next day.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The iPhone is as prestigious as a Big Mac at McDonald's, served by millions, made cheap, and is bad for you.

[doublepost=1454176825][/doublepost]In the U.S. if carriers completely get rid of the monthly financing, or 2 year contracts, where a brand new iPhone only costs like $99, **** will hit the fan.

If all of a sudden in the U.S. you go into your carrier of choice, ask to pick up the new iPhone 7, and the salesperson says OK no problem, that'll be $800, people would totally freak out. And say WTF I'd never ever pay that much for a phone in a million years. ( even though they have been all these years on the monthly plan ). But if that happens, you will see flagship phone sales drop like a rock.

No hyperbole in this post at all.
[doublepost=1454179403][/doublepost]
Exactly. Truth is many consumers are just oblivious / ignorant.
As tig bitties said, the day when installment plans go away if ever, will be the day all flagships fail to sell, not just iPhones.
I have heard many people not being able to buy a nexus 6p outright and is asking how can they get an installment plan. Or someone purchased a 6p and has to do RMA. Google puts a pending charge for the new phone until you send back the RMA and they cant afford the pending charge. Wth?! Where are people priorities. If you can't afford a 500 dollar phone outright, you should be buying a Moto E.

I don't know how people think of buying materialistic things and not know how they are going to afford food or their rent the next day.
Quite a leap you made there. I don't know how you know installment plans are going away. Yes it's true some people are unwise about their finances but that is not for me or you to judge. And this doesn't apply only to phones, cars and houses come to mind before a phone.
[doublepost=1454180030][/doublepost]

I actually laughed when I read the opening comment, I thought it was funny in a clever way.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
No hyperbole in this post at all.
[doublepost=1454179403][/doublepost]
Quite a leap you made there. I don't know how you know installment plans are going away. Yes it's true some people are unwise about their finances but that is not for me or you to judge. And this doesn't apply only to phones, cars and houses come to mind before a phone.
[doublepost=1454180030][/doublepost]
I actually laughed when I read the opening comment, I thought it was funny in a clever way.

I said "the day when installment plans go away if ever, will be the day all flagships fail to sell". Key phrase " if ever". Did I say it was going away? No. Did I say it was going to be soon? No.

So no I do not know if installment plans are going away.

Yes it does apply to cars and houses among other things. However the thread is about phones. This is not houserumours.com or carrumours.com

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
lovingteddy said:
iPhone are expensive and there is no doubt about that. iPhone offers experiences that none of Android phone can provide. iPhone is sleek, fast and offers great ecosystems that unique.

Im not really sure what is the great experience with iphone and what ecosystem just a phone can offer...

My last phone was Oneplus one and then i bought 6S+ which is 3x the price of OPO.

I do like 6S+. it is simply to use, and more or less too simple on sometimes. The camera is better for sure, and that was even expected to see from the phone being 3x pricier. when compairing photos with my bf's S6, i dont see any differences and S6 was halve of the price of 6S+.

What comes to ecosystem, i dont even consider to bind myself to a specific ecosystem. All devices im using (android/ios/osx/win) are working well together when you open your eyes and see further than the manufacturer want you to see. I use my ios/osx to airplay/mirroring via android tv-box. I dont need to buy atv for that and the best part is that i can run same apps on the box than i used with my android devices. I can also control the box via my android or ios devices or connect bt keyboard and mouse to it. Can it happen with atv? Controlling it via your android phone?

Then i share my stuff via NAS or gdrive. That would be fun with icloud for sure trying to share stuff with differend platforms...

And finally... The great experience with iphone sinks at the same moment when you reliaze how much work it takes to do a simple task with your iphone... Like editing photos and avoiding dublicates...

Im using ios because google lets devs to add too much permissions to apps as a default when considering the privacy. When using a calculator app, it really doesnt need to read my emails.. Is it because the dev was lazy? Perhaps.. And after you installed the app, it was asking new permissions when got an update. That kind of things got me to use iphone exclusively. When Google solves this issue, im going back to android phone.. I miss Zooper app alot for example :p i still do run the app on android tablet/tvbox but the iphone is in my pocket when im out... a pricey smartphone which is so dumb on sometimes...

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I said "the day when installment plans go away if ever, will be the day all flagships fail to sell". Key phrase " if ever". Did I say it was going away? No. Did I say it was going to be soon? No.

So no I do not know if installment plans are going away.

Yes it does apply to cars and houses among other things. However the thread is about phones. This is not houserumours.com or carrumours.com
Installment plans aren't going away any more than car loans or car leases.

And those people who can't afford materialistic item a, can't afford b and c. But cell phones are not a luxury item nowadays even iPhones.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Installment plans aren't going away any more than car loans or car leases.

And those people who can't afford materialistic item a, can't afford b and c. But cell phones are not a luxury item nowadays even iPhones.

I already stated that installment plans won't go away. Go read my first post in this thread and you will see I stated that. So not sure why you're telling me something I already stated and know.

IPhones are luxury,, every phone above 200 is luxury. A moto e can do everything an iPhone does.

Just as how a Mercedes can get you from point a to point b, so can a corolla.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I already stated that installment plans won't go away. Go read my first post in this thread and you will see I stated that. So not sure why you're telling me something I already stated and know.

IPhones are luxury,, every phone above 200 is luxury. A moto e can do everything an iPhone does.

Just as how a Mercedes can get you from point a to point b, so can a corolla.
That's certainly your right to have that opinion of what constitutes luxury or not. Different strokes for different folks.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
That's certainly your right to have that opinion of what constitutes luxury or not. Different strokes for different folks.
So since it is not a luxury in your mind. You're implying an iPhone or a similarly priced phone is a NECESSITY for humans.

Seems reasonable...what a world we live in when $700 phones is required to live your life.

DEFINITION of 'Luxury Item' An item that is not necessary for living, but is deemed as highly-desired within a culture or society.

iPhone highly-desired? Check
Not necessary for living? Check

Please don't come with some smart response of "based on your argument a phone is not necessary for living".

Reactions: khha4113

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014

Range Rovers is expensive because it is rare, where iPhone is almost everywhere. Ranger Rovers was not made by Chinese factories, but iPhone is. I don't understand why iPhone is so prestige and carry out that high social status

In the mobile phone world only two brands have prestige. One is the android powered Vertu. The other is the iPhone. Yes everyone has the iphone because non tech people i.e most of the population want the prestige factor. Its similar to the laptop space. Only the Macbook is cool enough. If you can't see that and are happy buying brands like Huawei etc then its a lost cause explaining it to you.

I also agree that the iphones success is helped by how service providers allow you to pay in monthly installments. Its similar to the car industry. Surely everyone knows that people who drive in brand new cars are actually the poorer ones. They drive in brand new cars because they cant pull out X thousands outright to buy a used mid range car. They however can pay the monthly premium that a new car costs.

As for Range Rovers being rare, in the UK they are extremely common and driven mostly by non wealthy folks as evidenced by the houses they are often parked outside.

I paid £400 for my S6 Edge Plus new, £400 for my Z5 Premium new, £210for my Z3 compact tablet LTE new, £285 for my Z4 tablet LTE with keyboard new. There are always deals on older flagships so no need to buy a new midrange phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blaze4G

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So since it is not a luxury in your mind. You're implying an iPhone or a similarly priced phone is a NECESSITY for humans.

Seems reasonable...what a world we live in when $700 phones is required to live your life.

DEFINITION of 'Luxury Item' An item that is not necessary for living, but is deemed as highly-desired within a culture or society.

iPhone highly-desired? Check
Not necessary for living? Check

Please don't come with some smart response of "based on your argument a phone is not necessary for living".
Please stop with the platitudes. Your point is not valid for a common electronic device which is sold by the tens of millions and can be found by thousands on common sites that sell these by the boatload. All you have to do is walk around any city to see if these devices are in most peoples hands. That tells you they have infiltrated the culture the same way an automobile has. With Apple reportedly having 1B devices out there, it should be clear that does not fit the definition of a luxury device.

Anyway, way far afield at this point.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Please stop with the platitudes. Your point is not valid for a common electronic device which is sold by the tens of millions and can be found by thousands on common sites that sell these by the boatload. All you have to do is walk around any city to see if these devices are in most peoples hands. That tells you they have infiltrated the culture the same way an automobile has. With Apple reportedly having 1B devices out there, it should be clear that does not fit the definition of a luxury device.

So because it sells in tens of millions makes it not a luxury item? You fail to grasp the simple definition of what a luxury item is.
So automatically I'd something sells by the millions its a necessity?

I guess televisions are necessities. They meet your definition of necessity. It's sold in the tens of millions and can be found on thousands of websites.

PlayStation 4 is necessity, because it is sold in the tens of millions and can be found on thousands of websites.

All I have to do is way around into people houses and see televisions and ps4 in their living room. This tells you they have infiltrated the culture.

It's sad when people nowadays believe they can't live their life without an iPhone. First world problems.

Edit: my sister lives in the USA and has a Moto g for the past 2 years. Shockingly she has been surviving without the vital iPhone or any other expensive phone which is required for humans to live their daily lives. She sends and receives her work emails, makes calls and text, keep in touch with family, takes pictures. But the iPhone does so much more...oh wait...

Last edited:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

To me the iPhone has become so standard in western society, it's like the Honda Civic of phones. It gets the job done, but is plain and boring, but also simple to use for grandparents and everyone.

Whereas the Nexus 6P per say is the Corvette Z06 or BMW ///M5 of phones.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
So because it sells in tens of millions makes it not a luxury item? You fail to grasp the simple definition of what a luxury item is.
So automatically I'd something sells by the millions its a necessity?

I guess televisions are necessities. They meet your definition of necessity. It's sold in the tens of millions and can be found on thousands of websites.

PlayStation 4 is necessity, because it is sold in the tens of millions and can be found on thousands of websites.

All I have to do is way around into people houses and see televisions and ps4 in their living room. This tells you they have infiltrated the culture.

It's sad when people nowadays believe they can't live their life without an iPhone. First world problems.
I would like to modify your last sentence:

"It's sad when people nowadays believe they can't live their life without a cell phone" They don't need an iphone 6s or 6s+, they don't need a Note 5 or Galaxy S6 edge. Most people want/need a cell phone; what they choose to buy is for the to decide. As the manufacturers sell them, they are not luxury items. (I'm not talking about the custom shops that put gold cases on them.)
[doublepost=1454192933][/doublepost]
To me the iPhone has become so standard in western society, it's like the Honda Civic of phones. It gets the job done, but is plain and boring, but also simple to use for grandparents and everyone.

Whereas the Nexus 6P per say is the Corvette Z06 or BMW ///M5 of phones.
Okay, you can get 300,000 miles out of a Civic. Most people won't drive their m5 or z06 when there is a raindrop afoot.:cool:

Reactions: Tig Bitties

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
In the mobile phone world only two brands have prestige. One is the android powered Vertu. The other is the iPhone. Yes everyone has the iphone because non tech people i.e most of the population want the prestige factor. Its similar to the laptop space. Only the Macbook is cool enough. If you can't see that and are happy buying brands like Huawei etc then its a lost cause explaining it to you.

I also agree that the iphones success is helped by how service providers allow you to pay in monthly installments. Its similar to the car industry. Surely everyone knows that people who drive in brand new cars are actually the poorer ones. They drive in brand new cars because they cant pull out X thousands outright to buy a used mid range car. They however can pay the monthly premium that a new car costs.

As for Range Rovers being rare, in the UK they are extremely common and driven mostly by non wealthy folks as evidenced by the houses they are often parked outside.

I paid £400 for my S6 Edge Plus new, £400 for my Z5 Premium new, £210for my Z3 compact tablet LTE new, £285 for my Z4 tablet LTE with keyboard new. There are always deals on older flagships so no need to buy a new midrange phone.

I am sorry. Just becuase no tech people buying iPhone, it must becuase iPhone is prestige and people buy iPhone to show their social status? Are you serious?

Tell me, when millions of people buy big Mac everyday, it is becuase Big Mac is prestige? It fits your concept.

And MacBook Pro is prestige? You seems to forgot all those powerful high end laptop costs more than MacBook Pro. You gonna be kidding me.

If you want to show off your social status, using iPhone and MacBook Pro is lamest way to do so. People will lagugh their a** off if you do so.

Reactions: jamezr

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
I would like to modify your last sentence:

"It's sad when people nowadays believe they can't live their life without a cell phone" They don't need an iphone 6s or 6s+, they don't need a Note 5 or Galaxy S6 edge. Most people want/need a cell phone; what they choose to buy is for the to decide. As the manufacturers sell them, they are not luxury items. (I'm not talking about the custom shops that put gold cases on them.)
[doublepost=1454192933][/doublepost]
Okay, you can get 300,000 miles out of a Civic. Most people won't drive their m5 or z06 when there is a raindrop afoot.:cool:
Most persons need a cellphone to live their daily lives. They need it for work and to keep in touch with family. No phone means no job, means no money, means no food or shelter.
Point is you doubt need a fancy phone to do this. Hence fancy phones are luxury items.
You don't need a Mercedes to drive to work, hence its luxury. But you do need a car to carry you to work. Unless you have reliable public transportation available.
[doublepost=1454193448][/doublepost]
I am sorry. Just becuase no tech people buying iPhone, it must becuase iPhone is prestige and people buy iPhone to show their social status? Are you serious?

Tell me, when millions of people buy big Mac everyday, it is becuase Big Mac is prestige? It fits your concept.

And MacBook Pro is prestige? You seems to forgot all those powerful high end laptop costs more than MacBook Pro. You gonna be kidding me.

If you want to show off your social status, using iPhone and MacBook Pro is lamest way to do so. People will lagugh their a** off if you do so.
You're not getting it. Not everyone thinks how you do. What is so hard to understand in that.

I can have a 10,000 laptop and someone has a 2000 macbook pro. They will think their macbook is more expensive. Because the general public believes Apple is the most expensive brand when it comes to phones and laptops.
You're an educated consumer and that's great. The majority is not.

Edit:Let me put it this way, lets say xiaomi makes a phone called the xPhone. It is made in same factory as the iPhone with the exact same materials, hardware and has iOS. In addition they have as good of a customer service as Apple. Only difference is the name and the logo on the back. Do you think it would sell even 1/8 as much as an iPhone? I don't think so.

Last edited:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Most persons need a cellphone to live their daily lives. They need it for work and to keep in touch with family. No phone means no job, means no money, means no food or shelter.
Point is you doubt need a fancy phone to do this. Hence fancy phones are luxury items.
You don't need a Mercedes to drive to work, hence its luxury. But you do need a car to carry you to work. Unless you have reliable public transportation available.
You're not getting it. Not everyone thinks how you do. What is so hard to understand in that.

I can have a 10,000 laptop and someone has a 2000 macbook pro. They will think their macbook is more expensive. Because the general public believes Apple is the most expensive brand when it comes to phones and laptops.

I have to disagree on people thinking Apple products are thought of as prestigious or super high end. I'm sorry but that's just not the case anymore. The iPhone has just become a device. A generic smartphone for the masses that people buy for it's ease of use, and it's cheap in the U.S. on contract plans, and is just a no hrainer for people that don't want to think about their smartphone decision, they just see the iPhone as the safe easy phone to get.

Today everyone has an iPhone, from McDonald's workers, to guys on construction sites, to people working at a gas station. Don't see how anyone can think the iPhone is a luxury item anymore ? It's everywhere, and made so easy and cheap to get on carrier plans today.

Now maybe 5 years ago I could see that perception be the reality, but not anymore.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
I have to disagree on people thinking Apple products are thought of as prestigious or super high end. I'm sorry but that's just not the case anymore. The iPhone has just become a device. A generic smartphone for the masses that people buy for it's ease of use, and it's cheap in the U.S. on contract plans, and is just a no hrainer for people that don't want to think about their smartphone decision, they just see the iPhone as the safe easy phone to get.

Today everyone has an iPhone, from McDonald's workers, to guys on construction sites, to people working at a gas station. Don't see how anyone can think the iPhone is a luxury item anymore ? It's everywhere, and made so easy and cheap to get on carrier plans today.

Now maybe 5 years ago I could see that perception be the reality, but not anymore.

I guess I can see how you and others will see that. I guess I am using my personal experiences. I see many times when someone gets a new iPhone or macbook they put it all over social media that they just got one. I don't see much people doing that when they get a Moto x or a hp laptop.

But everyone personal experiences will give them their own perception.

EDIT: I watched a video recently (if I find it I will send you the link). The video stated that the bmw 3 series was on of the most common cars in the country (don't remember which country exactly). A survey was done and many persons who own the bmw 3 series said they purchased it over other luxury brands because of its prestige. It is really common but it still has a prestige about it that consumers gravitate to.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Edit:Let me put it this way, lets say xiaomi makes a phone called the xPhone. It is made in same factory as the iPhone with the exact same materials, hardware and has iOS. In addition they have as good of a customer service as Apple. Only difference is the name and the logo on the back. Do you think it would sell even 1/8 as much as an iPhone? I don't think so.
If your value system was the masses value system, nobody would buy a new Hyundai Elantra for $15,000 because they can get a used one for $3,000. Yet, the roads of full of new Elantras, Sonatas, Accords, Mercedes etc. You are trying to whittle down capitalism to such a low level that there is an implication why buy anything new...a *new* item is considered luxury as long as their is something less expensive that will satisfy the requirement. Life just does not work that way.
[doublepost=1454195690][/doublepost]

I make no pretense the iphone is just an electronic device. Period. It's a tool to do stuff. Whether you like it or not, it's a commoditized product that is backed by a company with great service and support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.