Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
If your value system was the masses value system, nobody would buy a new Hyundai Elantra for $15,000 because they can get a used one for $3,000. Yet, the roads of full of new Elantras, Sonatas, Accords, Mercedes etc. You are trying to whittle down capitalism to such a low level that there is an implication why buy anything new...a *new* item is considered luxury as long as their is something less expensive that will satisfy the requirement. Life just does not work that way.

What you said makes no sense. Everybody who buys a new car buys it because they WANT a new car not because they NEED a new car. Most consumers do not buy goods based solely on their needs, they also factor in their 'wants'. Hence these new cars gets sold.
Back to the point, a Moto E is what is NEEDED by most consumers for a phone. But consumers have WANTS such as better camera, better design, etc". This results in them buying more expensive devices than the cheaper alternatives. I have seen older folks who does nothing on their phone except call and text. They don't know how to send emails or even take a picture.

If I am filthy rich I would very well want a 300,000 car and probably purchase one (I want a Lexus LFA). But I would not say it is a necessity.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
What you said makes no sense. Everybody who buys a new car buys it because they WANT a new car not because they NEED a new car. Most consumers do not buy goods based solely on their needs, they also factor in their 'wants'. Hence these new cars gets sold.
Back to the point, a Moto E is what is NEEDED by most consumers for a phone. But consumers have WANTS such as better camera, better design, etc". This results in them buying more expensive devices than the cheaper alternatives. I have seen older folks who does nothing on their phone except call and text. They don't know how to send emails or even take a picture.

If I am filthy rich I would very well want a 300,000 car and probably purchase one (I want a Lexus LFA). But I would not say it is a necessity.
No I need a new car, because there are safety features on this car not available on older models and I want to protect my family. I need an iphone, because I want to facetime and not go through app store gyrations to figure out the best way of calling others who have an iphone and forcing them to download apps as well. Not to mention the phone is viable for a number of years, and many people pay more for goods that are deemed to be a better value in the long run; which amounts to an overall lower cost of ownership.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
No I need a new car, because there are safety features on this car not available on older models and I want to protect my family. I need an iphone, because I want to facetime and not go through app store gyrations to figure out the best way of calling others who have an iphone and forcing them to download apps as well. Not to mention the phone is viable for a number of years, and many people pay more for goods that are deemed to be a better value in the long run; which amounts to an overall lower cost of ownership.

I think the best way to bring my point across is, do most people today need anything more than an iphone 5s? (saw boost mobile having a sale for $150 couple days ago on 5s).

I would say no to that question. Because it completely satisfy their needs and yours. So with that in mind is the 6s a necessity if the person has a 5s?

If you answered no, then that is my point. An expensive phone is not a necessity (since a 5s can be picked up for much cheaper today than a 6s).

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I think the best way to bring my point across is, do most people today need anything more than an iphone 5s? (saw boost mobile having a sale for $150 couple days ago on 5s).

I would say no to that question. Because it completely satisfy their needs and yours. So with that in mind is the 6s a necessity if the person has a 5s?

If you answered no, then that is my point. An expensive phone is not a necessity (since a 5s can be picked up for much cheaper today than a 6s).
Maybe people need wi-fi calling(which requires volte)? Better resolution on the camera? Live photos? Who am I to say they don't? That is the point. Because you don't see the need for someone to get the latest and greatest doesn't mean someone else doesn't need some feature or function.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
Canada

You don't need new car to protect your family. You need good driving skill and not using your cellphone when driving. I am driving 2003 Chev Cavalier and I am still fine without any accident. You don't need iPhone 6S to facetime, iPhone 4 would just fine.

You wanted the new car, you wanted the iPhone 6S. It is not the new car and iPhone 6S is necessary for you, it is you wanted it.

Need is something out if necessity, like you cannot do without. Cahsier need cash to do the job, taxi driver need car to drive, programmer need PC or Mac to write the code. You need a car to go to work, you need eat food and water to survive, you need a shelter to stay warm.

You want is something that is nice to have, but not for necessity. You want a faster car, becuse it is better, but you don't need BMW go to work. You want iPhone 6S, becuase you want the 3D Touch and Live Photo, but you don't need those to communicate with your family.

Last edited:

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Maybe people need wi-fi calling(which requires volte)? Better resolution on the camera? Live photos? Who am I to say they don't? That is the point. Because you don't see the need for someone to get the latest and greatest doesn't mean someone else doesn't need some feature or function.
All you just listed out is wants. Nobody needs any of that. But keep confusing needs and wants. Makes no sense continuing if you can't grasp the basic definition of needs and wants.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
Canada

I cannot say all, but for most people, those features aren't necessary for them. Heck, take my dad for example, he just use iPhone 5 that I passed to him for phone call and trxt. He also uses WeChat. That is it. No body need Live Photo, no body will die if WiFi calling is not available, nobody need the highest resolution camera in the earth. For most people, 150 Moto E would be enough. That is the whole point for the thread.

Before, midtire smartphone are awful and slow. But now, even 150 dollar phone is enough for most people. Heck, I have friend using Samsung Core LTE for everything he does (texting, calling, Facebook, taking pictures, Snapchat, twitter, Instagram). When midtire smartphone is good enough, premium phone will become niche.
[doublepost=1454199198][/doublepost]

Different people has different requirement for necessity. As technology moves forward, peoples need changes. It used to be we use cellphone just to make phone call. I can still remember I am using old pager to send messages and use flip phones to make phone calls. As iPhone's comes along, people start to use apps to do lots of things that might be nessary for their stuffs.

But for for most people, the need is the bar minimum. Hence, Moto E would be the phone that people need. And Moto E would probably good for most people. But iPhone and other premium could still be the bar minimum for some people, hence they need them.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
All you just listed out is wants. Nobody needs any of that. But keep confusing needs and wants. Makes no sense continuing if you can't grasp the basic definition of needs and wants.
Okay, let me say it this way. According to your philosophy a cell phone is to make and receive calls. Hence for everybody an lg vx9900 would be a sufficient device. Probably get them for next to nothing these days. Okay - hyperbole.

I don't want to use Motorola. I want an iphone because of facetime, imessage and because the app store has better quality apps (imo) and thus my total cost of ownership is lower.

Reactions: LovingTeddy

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Okay, let me say it this way. According to your philosophy a cell phone is to make and receive calls. Hence for everybody an lg vx9900 would be a sufficient device. Probably get them for next to nothing these days. Okay - hyperbole.

I don't want to use Motorola. I want an iphone because of facetime, imessage and because the app store has better quality apps (imo) and thus my total cost of ownership is lower.

For some people yes. Especially people who only need phone to receive and call people.

For most people, iPhone 5 would be enough or any midrang phone really. And for all your useage, iPhone 5 would enough for you, at least from what you said.

And please explain how your total ownership cost is lower?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
For some people yes. Especially people who only need phone to receive and call people.

For most people, iPhone 5 would be enough or any midrang phone really. And for all your useage, iPhone 5 would enough for you, at least from what you said.

When you spend less time figuring out how to make the phone work and more time using it, your TCO is lower. Which IMO is actually the case IOS vs Android.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
When you spend less time figuring out how to make the phone work and more time using it, your TCO is lower. Which IMO is actually the case IOS vs Android.

If that is csse for you then, that is great. iPhone is clearly better choice for you.

But for me, there is more headace for me using iOS than Android. At least I don't have to spend my time trying to figure out how to transfer files between PC and my phone. I don't have to figure out where my downloaded files are. I don't have to spend time trying to combat the limitation of iOS.

I am using my phone more like a computer and Android is clearly better than iOS in this case. To me CAD $350 Moto X Play has even lower TCO is even lower than iPhone.

But for each own usage, we choice different way to use phone.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015

I already brought up the case of using a 5s instead of a 6s. The 5s has imessages, facetime and the app store. So it meets your requirements.
[doublepost=1454203716][/doublepost]

I agree with this. My point was the general public do not need the latest, greatest iPhone or galaxy. But they continue to do so. I7 is trying to argue that everyone who buys these flagships needs them. When majority don't. But unfortunately he can't see that.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
I already brought up the case of using a 5s instead of a 6s. The 5s has imessages, facetime and the app store. So it meets your requirements.
I agree with this. My point was the general public do not need the latest, greatest iPhone or galaxy. But they continue to do so. I7 is trying to argue that everyone who buys these flagships needs them. When majority don't. But unfortunately he can't see that.

For me, in Canada cellphone plans are expensive. We have plan that cost you 80+ dollar with only 2GB of data and if you throw in phone installment cost, our monthly cellphone bill could easily go over 100 dollar plus. I just don't buy premium phone with contract. I rather pick up unlocked phone (sold at Staples, Canada Computer or any online retailer). Really, 350 dollars Moto X Play or second gen Moto X would easily fit my need. I hate our telecom, but Canadian have no choice but use them. I use cheaper unlocked phone to help.me lower my monthly cellphone bills.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
There are much better phones out there than the $150 Moto E for the same price (like the BLU Life One X). That phone makes the Moto E look overpriced.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You think anything above the lowest common denominator by your standards is a luxury item. Not so I want things to simplify and make my life easier. If by spending more I can do that I will. For example, Apple Pay on my 6s. While it
May be a trite example it's a reason I think you are missing the bigger picture. Technology is there to play aling with our lives. I don't have to get the lowest price phone because you don't understand my needs.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
There are much better phones out there than the $150 Moto E for the same price (like the BLU Life One X). That phone makes the Moto E look overpriced.

Actually when I referred to the Mote E, it was on sale last black froday for $10. It regularly goes on sale for $40 now. But I totally get you. I love tech and the latest phones, however I usually limit myself to $500. So if I see one I want that cost more I either wait or buy used.

A phone in the $250 range can more than satisfy most persons needs. Yes there are minorities who needs an extremely fast phone, lots of ram, etc.
[doublepost=1454210688][/doublepost]
You think anything above the lowest common denominator by your standards is a luxury item. Not so I want things to simplify and make my life easier. If by spending more I can do that I will. For example, Apple Pay on my 6s. While it
May be a trite example it's a reason I think you are missing the bigger picture. Technology is there to play aling with our lives. I don't have to get the lowest price phone because you don't understand my needs.

are you not reading and comprehending? Let me go slow. MOST MOST MOST MOST people needs can be satisfied with a 5s, one plus x, etc.

You are in the minority. So the general statement is the latest flagship phones are luxury items. I am sure before you had apple pay you were quite content with living life and using your credit card. But all of a sudden you cant live without apple pay, it is a necessity and if you don't have it you will cease to live. Okay.

You really believe that the 10s of millions of people who buy the new iPhone or Galaxy every year NEEDS it? Seriously? Can you say that with a straight face?

Last edited:

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Actually when I referred to the Mote E, it was on sale last black froday for $10. It regularly goes on sale for $40 now. But I totally get you. I love tech and the latest phones, however I usually limit myself to $500. So if I see one I want that cost more I either wait or buy used.

A phone in the $250 range can more than satisfy most persons needs. Yes there are minorities who needs an extremely fast phone, lots of ram, etc.
I remember that sale. It doesn't get any better than that!

I would go as far as to say that a phone in the $150 range can satisfy most people's needs. That is something that couldn't be said even a couple of years ago!

Reactions: Blaze4G

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

[doublepost=1454210688][/doublepost]

are you not reading and comprehending? Let me go slow. MOST MOST MOST MOST people needs can be satisfied with a 5s, one plus x, etc.

You are in the minority. So the general statement is the latest flagship phones are luxury items. I am sure before you had apple pay you were quite content with living life and using your credit card. But all of a sudden you cant live without apple pay, it is a necessity and if you don't have it you will cease to live. Okay.
What you want me to speak slower and louder also? :rolleyes:Let me try it this way, to say "MOST people needs" is basic hyperbole and speculation. You have no knowledge as to the motives of two people who bought cell phones, much less the tens of millions of cell phones purchased across all vendors what the needs are, much less the 75 million that bought the 6s last quarter.

You're speculating to the nth degree. Obviously if 75 million people bought iPhones recently it means they evaluated their own requirements and deemed they needed to buy it; for reasons unknown to you.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
What you want me to speak slower and louder also? :rolleyes:Let me try it this way, to say "MOST people needs" is basic hyperbole and speculation. You have no knowledge as to the motives of two people who bought cell phones, much less the tens of millions of cell phones purchased across all vendors what the needs are, much less the 75 million that bought the 6s last quarter.

You're speculating to the nth degree. Obviously if 75 million people bought iPhones recently it means they evaluated their own requirements and deemed they needed to buy it; for reasons unknown to you.

lol typical. any time someone can't come up with a defense they say "oh well you have no evidence that is true and there is no way you can know".

Simple logic and watching people behaviour is enough for me. But keep it up, I am not the one looking ignorant.

Majority of the 75 million people who bought the 6s last year NEEDED it. Thanks for enlightening me great one.
[doublepost=1454211330][/doublepost]
I remember that sale. It doesn't get any better than that!

I would go as far as to say that a phone in the $150 range can satisfy most people's needs. That is something that couldn't be said even a couple of years ago!
Haha, yeah, I wanted to pick up one as a spare phone but I already have too much of those lol. I mentioned $250 since I think a decent camera is "needed". Not sure how the cameras are in the $150 and below range. But I absolutely agree. Then again, 5s from boost mobile was on sale last week for $150. That camera is certainly top notch.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
lol typical. any time someone can't come up with a defense they say "oh well you have no evidence that is true and there is no way you can know".

Simple logic and watching people behaviour is enough for me. But keep it up, I am not the one looking ignorant.

Majority of the 75 million people who bought the 6s last year NEEDED it. Thanks for enlightening me great one.
Haha, yeah, I wanted to pick up one as a spare phone but I already have too much of those lol. I mentioned $250 since I think a decent camera is "needed". Not sure how the cameras are in the $150 and below range. But I absolutely agree. Then again, 5s from boost mobile was on sale last week for $150. That camera is certainly top notch.
Yeah, sales like that really fascinate me because it shows how far the industry's come.

I bought two of the BLU Life One X's last month on release date for $99 each, and I can tell you that their camera is more than decent. It even has phase-detection autofocus! Not to mention it has a front-facing 5MP camera with flash! The specs on that phone are unbelievable for the price (for the most part, they're equal to or better than the GS5).

Reactions: Blaze4G

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Certainly typical hyperbole. Why don't you just admit your debating on a flawed premise and you don't understand the buying rational of tens of millions of consumers?

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Certainly typical hyperbole. Why don't you just admit your debating on a flawed premise and you don't understand the buying rational of tens of millions of consumers?

Most of the 100+ million owners NEED the 6s or 6s Plus.
[doublepost=1454212226][/doublepost]
Yeah, sales like that really fascinate me because it shows how far the industry's come.

I bought two of the BLU Life One X's last month on release date for $99 each, and I can tell you that their camera is more than decent. It even has phase-detection autofocus! Not to mention it has a front-facing 5MP camera with flash! The specs on that phone are unbelievable for the price (for the most part, they're equal to or better than the GS5).
Oh wow! I wanted to pick up one of those too for my sister, but I missed the release price. Sometimes it scares me for the lack of a better word that these manufacturers than produce cheap phones will make the big manufacturers pull out of the market.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Oh wow! I wanted to pick up one of those too for my sister, but I missed the release price. Sometimes it scars me for the lack of a better word that these manufacturers than produce cheap phones will make the big manufacturers pull out of the market.
I don't know how the answer to that and not sure how you can either.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Oh wow! I wanted to pick up one of those too for my sister, but I missed the release price. Sometimes it scars me for the lack of a better word that these manufacturers than produce cheap phones will make the big manufacturers pull out of the market.
That's a VERY good point. If that were to happen though, it's because the market decided that affordable phones were the way to go. I wouldn't blame them, the market as a whole makes the decisions.

If you ever find the phone on sale, definitely consider it (it's even unlocked). My parents have been using them for around a month, and it also scares me how good they are for their price. The worst part is that they have a 1080p display, which makes Apple look much too greedy for having kept the 6s at 750p, but that's a story for another day ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.