Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
That's a VERY good point. If that were to happen though, it's because the market decided that affordable phones were the way to go. I wouldn't blame them, the market as a whole makes the decisions.

If you ever find the phone on sale, definitely consider it (it's even unlocked). My parents have been using them for around a month, and it also scares me how good they are for their price. The worst part is that they have a 1080p display, which makes Apple look much too greedy for having kept the 6s at 750p, but that's a story for another day ;)
I definitely will. I need to upgrade my mom's phone. Then again she still uses one finger to type, so it is still plenty fast for her lol.

I wonder what would happen if other manufacturers could make an iOS phone. Would be interesting.
[doublepost=1454212888][/doublepost]
That's my point, I'm not saying they do or they don't, only questioning such sweeping generalizations.
okay no problem. We can put it on unsolved mysteries. no way we will ever know. We can't use logic or the people around us as a large enough sample size.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I definitely will. I need to upgrade my mom's phone. Then again she still uses one finger to type, so it is still plenty fast for her lol.

I wonder what would happen if other manufacturers could make an iOS phone. Would be interesting.
I know what you mean, pretty much all adults I know do that :D

That's a difficult question to answer. On the one hand, there's a lot of people that would love to use iOS on a GS6, for example. There's also many people that would like to see an Android iPhone. But those things are too crazy to imagine! (But not impossible to, I mean we have Macs that run Windows and Hackintosh PCs, after all)

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
I know what you mean, pretty much all adults I know do that :D

That's a difficult question to answer. On the one hand, there's a lot of people that would love to use iOS on a GS6, for example. There's also many people that would like to see an Android iPhone. But those things are too crazy to imagine! (But not impossible to, I mean we have Macs that run Windows and Hackintosh PCs, after all)
Haha I agree. A dual boot Android and iOS phone :eek::eek:.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

[doublepost=1454212888][/doublepost]
okay no problem. We can put it on unsolved mysteries. no way we will ever know. We can't use logic or the people around us as a large enough sample size.
I will agree there is a law of diminishing returns with hardware with your point of view. If all I need is basic web support and email why go for an expensive device. But once you pile on the goodies the price increases. Factor in top notch support which is one thing I require and it's over all else and is a basic intangible.

If my phone is lost, stolen or damaged I have to be up and running asap. I have experienced breaking an idevice and being able to buy a new device, restore the new device, activate it on the work network in hours.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
You think anything above the lowest common denominator by your standards is a luxury item. Not so I want things to simplify and make my life easier. If by spending more I can do that I will. For example, Apple Pay on my 6s. While it
May be a trite example it's a reason I think you are missing the bigger picture. Technology is there to play aling with our lives. I don't have to get the lowest price phone because you don't understand my needs.

The point is really centered around that most people do not need the latest and greatest phone. People can easily get by using lower tired offer. Like I said, most of people. I can guarantee that 90% of iPhone users won't do anything more than install few essential apps, text and calling. This is the pattern I observed with my firends and my coworkers. If you think any of these people absolutely need the premium offers, then you are quite wrong. Most people buy newst iPhone not becuase of necessity, but more of wanted to.

I get different people using phones differently. People define need differently. But in broder term, 90% of the population with smartphone can get by with iPhone 5.
[doublepost=1454215603][/doublepost]
I will agree there is a law of diminishing returns with hardware with your point of view. If all I need is basic web support and email why go for an expensive device. But once you pile on the goodies the price increases. Factor in top notch support which is one thing I require and it's over all else and is a basic intangible.

If my phone is lost, stolen or damaged I have to be up and running asap. I have experienced breaking an idevice and being able to buy a new device, restore the new device, activate it on the work network in hours.

I don't know if you have any experience with Android. I can do exactly that with Android as well. During the setup process, Android will prompt you enter Google's account and will ask you if you want restore from back up. I don't know what so special about iOS that made life so much easier than Android, frankly I do not see.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The point is really centered around that most people do not need the latest and greatest phone. People can easily get by using lower tired offer. Like I said, most of people. I can guarantee that 90% of iPhone users won't do anything more than install few essential apps, text and calling. This is the pattern I observed with my firends and my coworkers. If you think any of these people absolutely need the premium offers, then you are quite wrong. Most people buy newst iPhone not becuase of necessity, but more of wanted to.

I get different people using phones differently. People define need differently. But in broder term, 90% of the population with smartphone can get by with iPhone 5.
[doublepost=1454215603][/doublepost]

I don't know if you have any experience with Android. I can do exactly that with Android as well. During the setup process, Android will prompt you enter Google's account and will ask you if you want restore from back up. I don't know what so special about iOS that made life so much easier than Android, frankly I do not see.
If you are going to state an opinion as fact at least post a source. 90% of the population can get by on an iPhone 5? If that were your thesis you'd get a zero.:confused:

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
If you are going to state an opinion as fact at least post a source. 90% of the population can get by on an iPhone 5? If that were your thesis you'd get a zero.:confused:

I am willing to bet 90% of popular would do just fine with iPhone 5. It isn't any dramatic difference bwttwen iPhone 5 and iPhone 6S, beside Apple Pay (which is not wildly available around world and not even wildly accepted in US anyway) and nobody cared 3D Touch, LivePhoto so on and so forth.

General population doesn't need iPhone 6S, they wanted to, so they buy one. That is the whole point.

And when good midrange or lower priced premium phone wildly available, any phone that is over 600 dollars will become niche.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I am willing to bet 90% of popular would do just fine with iPhone 5. It isn't any dramatic difference bwttwen iPhone 5 and iPhone 6S, beside Apple Pay (which is not wildly available around world and not even wildly accepted in US anyway) and nobody cared 3D Touch, LivePhoto so on and so forth.

General population doesn't need iPhone 6S, they wanted to, so they buy one. That is the whole point.

And when good midrange or lower priced premium phone wildly available, any phone that is over 600 dollars will become niche.
The premise of your entire discussion on a sweeping generalization. Reminds me of the discussion in the iphone forum of why the iphone 6s isn't selling that well before the earnings call. And people were giving their opinions as to why it was "flop". Turns out to be a record breaking quarter by apple, which was spun into YOY sales are down. This topic is no different. You are trying to diminish why the iphone is a popular phone by citing your opinion is that 90% of the general population doesn't need more than a basic phone without any backup whatsoever.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
The premise of your entire discussion on a sweeping generalization. Reminds me of the discussion in the iphone forum of why the iphone 6s isn't selling that well before the earnings call. And people were giving their opinions as to why it was "flop". Turns out to be a record breaking quarter by apple, which was spun into YOY sales are down. This topic is no different. You are trying to diminish why the iphone is a popular phone by citing your opinion is that 90% of the general population doesn't need more than a basic phone without any backup whatsoever.

But the fact is the iPhone's growth has slowed down. That is the whole point. It use to Apple can enjoy more than 0.4% growth, but they only ended up with 0.4% growth. Tim Cook also said will be not see any growth at all next quarter.

The fact is midrange smartphones become so good, there really not many advantages iPhone has.

By the way, the record breaking sell does not prove people need the shinny new iPhone 6S, it just saying many people want the shinny new iPhone 6S.

First, we do not know how many iPhone 6S out of 70 million iPhone being sold. Second, out of all iPhone 6S sold, how many people really need 3D Touch? How many people really need LivePhoto?

I am more than willing to bet majority of iPhone purchase weren't outnof necessity, but they wanted to upgrade. It include me that treaded in my iPhone 6 for iPhone 6S. I don't need iPhone 6S, but I wanted to have one. And yet, that iPhone 6S is sitting in my drawer collecting dusts.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
What is the point of this thread? I think it is stating the obvious that not everyone needs the newest as seen by people buying and selling used phones.

Is the thread creator trying to argue Apple should lower prices?

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
What is the point of this thread? I think it is stating the obvious that not everyone needs the newest as seen by people buying and selling used phones.

Basically that's what I gather.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
But the fact is the iPhone's growth has slowed down. That is the whole point. It use to Apple can enjoy more than 0.4% growth, but they only ended up with 0.4% growth. Tim Cook also said will be not see any growth at all next quarter.

So what? Are you concerned apple may go out of business and shut it's doors?

The fact is midrange smartphones become so good, there really not many advantages iPhone has.

That may be your take on it, but people have been disagreeing with this via the sales numbers.

By the way, the record breaking sell does not prove people need the shinny new iPhone 6S, it just saying many people want the shinny new iPhone 6S.

Anything you say here is a sweeping generalization.

First, we do not know how many iPhone 6S out of 70 million iPhone being sold. Second, out of all iPhone 6S sold, how many people really need 3D Touch? How many people really need LivePhoto?

I am more than willing to bet majority of iPhone purchase weren't outnof necessity, but they wanted to upgrade. It include me that treaded in my iPhone 6 for iPhone 6S. I don't need iPhone 6S, but I wanted to have one. And yet, that iPhone 6S is sitting in my drawer collecting dusts.

I still can't get over you are deciding what people need and don't need as far as features. That is just not the way things work. If it were, the market would look very different.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
Canada

No... Apple need gets its ass off the chair and create something unique for the iPhone . Apple and uts fans should stop pretending everythkng is OK with Apple. Oh look, we just had record breaking quarter, everything must be fine. But until you find out nit everything is fine, it would be too late. It is not only Apple enjoy 0.4% of growth, other companies also enjoying even faster growth.

The original iPhone is so unique and iOS was so good that there were no competition with iOS before Android 4.0 (that is where Android stop being really really suck).

The year over year regular upgrade is getting boring. There really isn't much of upgrade from iPhone 6 to iPhone 6S, beside usual faster and lighter. 3D Touch still suck, LivePhoto is cool for first few times and you generally forgot about it. There is no wow factor. If Apple cannot create something that leads competition for sometime, iPhone will be just iPhone and competition is quickly catching on.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
No... Apple need gets its ass off the chair and create something unique for the iPhone . Apple and uts fans should stop pretending everythkng is OK with Apple. Oh look, we just had record breaking quarter, everything must be fine. But until you find out nit everything is fine, it would be too late. It is not only Apple enjoy 0.4% of growth, other companies also enjoying even faster growth.

The original iPhone is so unique and iOS was so good that there were no competition with iOS before Android 4.0 (that is where Android stop being really really suck).

The year over year regular upgrade is getting boring. There really isn't much of upgrade from iPhone 6 to iPhone 6S, beside usual faster and lighter. 3D Touch still suck, LivePhoto is cool for first few times and you generally forgot about it. There is no wow factor. If Apple cannot create something that leads competition for sometime, iPhone will be just iPhone and competition is quickly catching on.
IMHO, Apple is not going to be like Samsung stuffing the phone with hardware. If you think it's boring, there are alternatives for you. I upgraded to the 6s and yes there is a definite wow factor. Kind of driving a sporty sedan like the 535 and then getting into a 911 Turbo S.

As far as growth, yes other companies are growing faster, but apple takes a majority of the profit in their sector. Growth is wonderful, when you have the revenue and profits backing it up.

Jax44

Contributor
Jul 24, 2010
Carmel, California
When Motorola showed us Moto G for the first time, one thing come to realization is that you do not need spent tons of money for a good smartphone experience. It used to be that crappy build quality and sluggish performance are common with the cheap smartphone. But ever since Moto G, the affordable smartphone became whole new level.

Now we have premium smartphone at relative affordable price point. Take Oneplus 2, OnePlus X, Moto X Play and Moto X Style, Huawei 5X and LG Nexus 5X. Those phone have great build quality and strong spec with low price tags. The affordable smartphone become so good that it is good option for many people.

iPhone are expensive and there is no doubt about that. iPhone offers experiences that none of Android phone can provide. iPhone is sleek, fast and offers great ecosystems that unique. Generally using iPhone equals great experiences.

However, when affordable smartphone become so good these days, one can start questioning why would someone spend upward of 700 dollars for iPhone? Clearly that is legit question. When all these affordable smartphone can satisfy majority people's need, then these affordable phones will start grab more and more customers from premium offering. And we certainly starting seeing these trend. With times goes by and more affordable premium phone in the market, iPhone will be facing tough competitions.

I will never doubt that Apple will still sell tons of iPhone. But Apple probably won't able to sell as much as iPhone before. Given iPhone's growth is relative flat and Apple is warning sales declining for next quarter. Plus the dramatic growth of Xiaomi, Huawei, OnePlus and Moto, one can confidently say that affordable smartphone will able to dominate market and premium offering will become something niche.

I am carrying Moto X 2014, Moto X Play, Moto X Style and have Moto G, Huawei P8, Nexus 5 and Xiaomi Mi4C. I never felt those phone are slow. All of them running decently. And for normal day to day tasks, I don't even feel
speed difference between iPhone 6S and those phones. For what affordable smartphone can offer and the price point, I would think affordable smartphone would eventually dominate market.

That's just my personal opinion

So you have seven phones and no iPhone, but the iPhone is overpriced and no good?.

How much did the seven phones cost?.

Should have just got one iPhone!.

Reactions: I7guy

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
So you have seven phones and no iPhone, but the iPhone is overpriced and no good?.

How much did the seven phones cost?.

Should have just got one iPhone!.

I have 6S... I got for half of the price. I got it only becuase my employer offer that deal.

By the way, Android is fun to play with. I buy different phones with different ROM. For example: I brought OnePlus for its Oxygen OS, Xiaomi for its MiUi, Motorola and Nexus for stock Android, Huawei for its EMUI. Each UI offers different option and features. I also unlocked bootloader for all my phones and playing with different ROM and customize hell out of my phone.

You can do none of that with iOS. The most you can do is swtich wallpaper. That's nothing compare with Android.

Yes, I do have lots of Android phones. It is fun to play with. Where as iPhone, I am only use it if I wanted to once or twice in a month.

Jax44

Contributor
Jul 24, 2010
Carmel, California
I have 6S... I got for half of the price. I got it only becuase my employer offer that deal.

By the way, Android is fun to play with. I buy different phones with different ROM. For example: I brought OnePlus for its Oxygen OS, Xiaomi for its MiUi, Motorola and Nexus for stock Android, Huawei for its EMUI. Each UI offers different option and features. I also unlocked bootloader for all my phones and playing with different ROM and customize hell out of my phone.

You can do none of that with iOS. The most you can do is swtich wallpaper. That's nothing compare with Android.

Yes, I do have lots of Android phones. It is fun to play with. Where as iPhone, I am only use it if I wanted to once or twice in a month.
Okee Dokie...

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Its simple. Apple items carry prestige status to them whether the android folks like it or not.
Quite true.

Going forward as the mid priced, high value Android models proliferate, Apple sales will fall away. They will be the Mercedes / BMW class of smartphones. Selling to those with lots of money, those who will be largely untouched by the rocky economic climate ahead.

Prior to this new category of high value mid priced Android models, Apple only had to compete with flagship Androids. While there's always been cheaper Androids, they were in a distinctively different category.

Now this new rapidly emerging, large scale roll out of very affordable phones by many manufacturers, will be changing market dynamics in a way we've never experienced before.

Apple better tighten their seat belts, it's about to become super competitive.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Quite true.

Going forward as the mid priced, high value Android models proliferate, Apple sales will fall away. They will be the Mercedes / BMW class of smartphones. Selling to those with lots of money, those who will be largely untouched by the rocky economic climate ahead.

Prior to this new category of high value mid priced Android models, Apple only had to compete with flagship Androids. While there's always been cheaper Androids, they were in a distinctively different category.

Now this new rapidly emerging, large scale roll out of very affordable phones by many manufacturers, will be changing market dynamics in a way we've never experienced before.

Apple better tighten their seat belts, it's about to become super competitive.
On the other hand, maybe everybody ought to tighten their seatbelts as apple releases the iphone 7. (yes, this hyperbolic statement was in response to the above hyperbolic statement)

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
On the other hand, maybe everybody ought to tighten their seatbelts as apple releases the iphone 7. (yes, this hyperbolic statement was in response to the above hyperbolic statement)
Traditionally going back to the Steve Jobs era, on more than one occasion Steve openly advocated about Apple's satisfaction with high margins as opposed to a large share of the market. That comment in response to critics pointing out the small market share Apple Computer maintained. It was the classic Mac vs. PC period during which Apple was invested heavily in marketing their computers as cool.

That set the tone for Apple's master long term strategy. Position the products as premium at the top of the market and charge the highest price consumers would pay. Very successful at employing that practice over the long haul, it's a perfect prediction for Apple's main cash cow, it's iPhone as the dominate luxury phone. Their market will gradually shrink as more and more users replace their iPhones with more reasonably priced choices while giving up very little.

They'll enjoy wonderful experiences like I have with my Moto X Pure, my OPPO R7 Plus, and others. All for far less cash than the pricey iPhones of today. Nothing to worry about, Apple's fat margins will compensate them well.

Just wait and see, this migration away from iPhones will surprise many devotees.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Traditionally going back to the Steve Jobs era, on more than one occasion Steve openly advocated about Apple's satisfaction with high margins as opposed to a large share of the market. That comment in response to critics pointing out the small market share Apple Computer maintained. It was the classic Mac vs. PC period during which Apple was invested heavily in marketing their computers as cool.

That set the tone for Apple's master long term strategy. Position the products as premium at the top of the market and charge the highest price consumers would pay. Very successful at employing that practice over the long haul, it's a perfect prediction for Apple's main cash cow, it's iPhone as the dominate luxury phone. Their market will gradually shrink as more and more users replace their iPhones with more reasonably priced choices while giving up very little.

They'll enjoy wonderful experiences like I have with my Moto X Pure, my OPPO R7 Plus, and others. All for far less cash than the pricey iPhones of today. Nothing to worry about, Apple's fat margins will compensate them well.

Just wait and see, this migration away from iPhones will surprise many devotees.
SJ is DEAD, may his soul rest in peace, but he's DEAD. Leave him be. This is now TC's company to run.

Okay since we're dealing pure speculation and exaggeration at this point: Iphone 7 will come in and demolish the competition. Several top tier manufacturers will exit the business after the iphone 7 is released, due to it's unprecedented popularity. Stock will take a hike and those that like alternative mobile devices will be surprised at the lack of variety in that space.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The flaw in this discussion is the word 'affordable' as it is liquid and unquantifiable.

What people seem to be doing is quantifying their own definition of affordable, however it then is merely personal & subjective and can not be generalised or assigned a fixed metric.

Making any assumption or declaration about what is and what's isn't 'affordable', and theoretical assumptions based on that, utterly moribund.

Reactions: I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.