Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dorfdad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Just installed Spirit on a Wifi 32gb iPad. Went fine installed cydia installed categories and backgrounder not using backgrounder at all but noticed my battery vanishing twice as fast as prior to jailbreaking the iPad anyone else had this issue and possible know a fix?

If this needs to be moved please feel free as I did not see an iPad jailbreak discussion just the iPhone.

atr

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
I jailbroke right after Spirit came out Sunday night. The next thing I did was install Backgrounder. I use my iPad on and off all day at work and then at home, and normally run 3 apps backgrounded at all times, and then background Safari only when I am using it and want to switch between other apps while still maintaining the active link(s) in Safari.

So far (past 3 days) I have noticed a small increase in battery drain (or decrease in battery time depending on how you want to look at it), but that would be expected since I am running more operations during the same period of time. I start the day at 5:05 AM with a full charge and right now it is 7:51 PM and my iPad battery is at 54%, not to shabby in my opinion. At work I use it for note taking with EverNote (and I had plenty of meetings today), task management using OmniFocus, pdf viewing with GoodReader, weather radar checks with WeatherDeck, note taking with CJournal, data entry with Numbers, and a lot of Internet surfing. At home tonight I spent about an hour setting up some projects in OF, and maybe 30 minutes web browsing. I figure I will probably use it for another hour or so before the night is out since I have a little more work to get done.

All in all, I say the benefits from jailbreaking greatly out weigh the very small loss in battery time. Especially since I have my iPad by my side (and use it often) for an average of 18 hours a day and it still has over 40% charge and then put it on the charger for the 6 hrs. while I'm asleep.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
i hate when people are like bla bla bla search noob bla bla bla.

but there is two threads on the first page with almost identical titles, i even broke down the usage battery over a 9 hour period.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
I have the same issue, battery draining fast after spirit. Im not multi tasking or any thing, using it same way as if not jailbroken.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Went faster after I installed backgrounder, noticeably so, even though I turned it off as much as possible. Ended up uninstalling it as multitasking was just a novelty for me.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
I noticed the battery drain immediately, no backgrounder installed. I even did it twice to make sure I wasn't imagining. JB does cause battery drain, I noticed on my iPhone too. JB is no more for me.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
To clarify, I don't notice it once backgrounder is gone. But I also turned off the percentage reporting because life is too short to obsess that much.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
No, because jailbreaking does not reduce battery life. How many times do we have to debunk this nonsense?

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
do not download the stuff that you really not using. i jailbreak mine because?
sbsettings
installous
3G unrestrictor

i dont need backgrounder because i already mod my safari (no resfresh) much much better!

turn-off your ssh!! this really kills your battery

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
do not download the stuff that you really not using. i jailbreak mine because?
sbsettings
installous
3G unrestrictor

i dont need backgrounder because i already mod my safari (no resfresh) much much better!

turn-off your ssh!! this really kills your battery

what do you mean you modded safari? i am interested in this. im tired of it not STORING THE DAMN WEBSITES WHEN I SWITCH TABS. the most ANNOYING POSSIBLE THING is when it refreshes when i switch back to a tab. :mad::mad::mad:

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
what do you mean you modded safari? i am interested in this. im tired of it not STORING THE DAMN WEBSITES WHEN I SWITCH TABS. the most ANNOYING POSSIBLE THING is when it refreshes when i switch back to a tab. :mad::mad::mad:

here its called VM (virtual memory)

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288228

i bought icabmobile and atomic browser because i am sick and tired of safari.
now i am not using them anymore because of this mod

if you have backgrounder installed, make sure remove the safari on the overrides.

dplxy

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010
i only use sbsettings
and some small apps
so i dont feel like jb has killed my battery life.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
My Ipad was 100% this morning, i played games for around 40 minutes (no wif) on the train to work and its now 83%. That cant be right.

I do have it on full brightness though.

If Spirit f--s with the ipads power management im really concerned, i might un-jailbreak beacuse of this.

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
I consider myself a heavy iPad user, and haven't seen a perceptible drop off in battery life after jailbreaking. In the morning I stream Spark Radio for 2-3 hours in the background while browsing the web. Periodic web surfing during the day, and lots of emailing. I also run the Mail app in backgrounder because I have trouble with push for some reason. At night, more surfing, maybe playing some Angry birds while playing locally-stored music, and watching tv/movie files using AirVideo. I easily use the thing for 9-11 hours a day and I've never dropped below 25% battery. My brightness is set to roughly 20%, and all of my data usage is over Wireless N.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
i dont know you guys why you want "FULL BRIGHTNESS" on your iPad.. the default is 50% and i am putting down to 40% and check auto-brightness..

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
i dont know you guys why you want "FULL BRIGHTNESS" on your iPad.. the default is 50% and i am putting down to 40% and check auto-brightness..

Depends where I am. If I'm laying in bed at night I'll put it to zero, but if I'm in my office with huge windows, sunlight, and a lot of flourescent lights overhead I'm needing 80% brightness.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Not everyone who jailbreaks uses backgrounder.

If your battery runs down faster after you installed backgrounder, it doesn't mean the fact that you jailbroke is the cause. It means backgrounder is the cause.

Until someone actually posts some factual tests, I think this is urban legend territory. And by test I mean a clean install of Spirit, NO additional apps, NO backgrounder, run the battery down from 100% and time it. Uninstall Spirit/restore, repeat.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Not everyone who jailbreaks uses backgrounder.

If your battery runs down faster after you installed backgrounder, it doesn't mean the fact that you jailbroke is the cause. It means backgrounder is the cause.

Until someone actually posts some factual tests, I think this is urban legend territory. And by test I mean a clean install of Spirit, NO additional apps, NO backgrounder, run the battery down from 100% and time it. Uninstall Spirit/restore, repeat.

I did JB without anything installed and battery started draining quickly. NO backgrounder installed, no other JB apps. What more proofs do you need? I'm not saying everyone's device will drain but it think it's device dependent. There could be conflict with other official apps from iTunes. I always suspect Cydia is junk. If I could JB without having Cydia on there things will be much smoother, at least there should be an option to not install Cydia.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
well if you leave you SSH open, that will likely the factor of battery drain.
another one is push email. i have one on gmail and not much but definitely affecting my battery. BUT i tried another one my work email and i see a big difference. it eats a lot of battery. so if you have multiple push email that is also to be considered..

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
I did JB without anything installed and battery started draining quickly. NO backgrounder installed, no other JB apps. What more proofs do you need? I'm not saying everyone's device will drain but it think it's device dependent. There could be conflict with other official apps from iTunes. I always suspect Cydia is junk. If I could JB without having Cydia on there things will be much smoother, at least there should be an option to not install Cydia.

after JB you can actually uninstall the CYDIA if that whats you want

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
well if you leave you SSH open, that will likely the factor of battery drain.
another one is push email. i have one on gmail and not much but definitely affecting my battery. BUT i tried another one my work email and i see a big difference. it eats a lot of battery. so if you have multiple push email that is also to be considered..

In case you didn't read my post. I have nothing installed. NO SSH. Just Cydia. No push email.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
In case you didn't read my post. I have nothing installed. NO SSH. Just Cydia. No push email.

ok then why you want to JB your iPad if you dont want the CYDIA? i dont get the point...
not unlike iphone, we want to JB because to activate it or unlock it. the iPad is already unlocked and activated....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.