Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
jailbreaking and installing backgrounder will drain your battery. theres no doubt about that.

i would assume that jailbreaking itself kills battery life. i wouldn't trust those that say their battery lifes are not affected at all. how would they know? those same people probably have not used a non-jb'ed ipad since the day they got it.

for those that have jb'ed. reformat and don't jb. you will notice a BIG difference in battery life.

The act of jailbreaking has no effect on battery life. Simply jailbreaking doesn't do anything else to the device except allow the execution of non-Apple approved code. If you jailbreak and install nothing else, absolutely nothing else changes on your device. I don't understand why people continue to say otherwise, it's simply misinformation.

Yes, running multiple applications in the background effects battery life. My laptop's battery lasts longer if I simply leave it sitting there as opposed to checking email and browsing the web or watching flash videos or even playing a game. I don't think anyone would argue running background apps has no effect on battery life. However I think the slight decrease in my average use is more than worth the increased functionality I get from being able to actually multitask instead of the tacked-on hack that iOS4 uses.

I wouldn't have gotten any use out of my iPad if I hadn't jailbroken it. I was mostly ambivalent about doing so on my iPhone when I originally purchased it, only needing it for the carrier unlock when I moved to Australia (and changing the device's appearance.) I could go either way.

But jailbreaking mine allowed me to pretty much completely replace lugging my laptop around. I have noticed no measurable difference in battery life as a result, and still get phenomenal life out of it. If there's somehow a "huge" difference that I'm missing out on, it's worth the tradeoff to me. If I hadn't jailbroken it I can state that I would have absolutely returned it to the store a few days later after the shiny factor wore off and I realised it was otherwise useless.

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
Jailbreak by Spirit had zero effect on my battery life. The one thing that does however are the more graphic intensive games. I find if I play stuff like NFS Shift, Lets Golf, NOVA etc at full brightness I can see 20% drain per hour. If i'm browsing etc at full brightness it only uses say 10% per hour.

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
I jailbroke and didn't install or do anything after and I noticed a drain in battery. It's very annoying and I don't want to restore as I have all my music and photos on it

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Er, back up your music and photos and then restore?

That backup would be from a jailbroken state and i don't like that because jailbroken stuff gets left over for example i used fakecarrier on my phone and changed my network to my name, restored and used a backup and my network changed to my name again in a non jailbroken state

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
That backup would be from a jailbroken state and i don't like that because jailbroken stuff gets left over for example i used fakecarrier on my phone and changed my network to my name, restored and used a backup and my network changed to my name again in a non jailbroken state

The status bar is the only thing that gets carried over through a restore, I believe. Nothing else from the jailbreak.

Not that your jailbreak has anything to do with the battery going faster if you only have Cydia installed. (Which obviously you don't, since you just said you changed your carrier name.)

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
You must mean "Obviously do". My phone isn't jailbroken anymore and it was phone that had the left over carrier name. I unjailbroke my phone due to battery drain. My iPad is jailbroken and I'm noticing battery drain.

I don't know what to choose. Good battery vs bad battery and more tweaks etc

PS don't try tell me jail breaking doesn't affect battery it does, for me.

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
You must mean "Obviously do". My phone isn't jailbroken anymore and it was phone that had the left over carrier name. I unjailbroke my phone due to battery drain. My iPad is jailbroken and I'm noticing battery drain.

I don't know what to choose. Good battery vs bad battery and more tweaks etc

PS don't try tell me jail breaking doesn't affect battery it does, for me.

Pay attention to what I actually said. Jailbreaking and *leaving it alone* has no affect on battery life. If you've installed tweaks and applications, you obviously didn't just leave it alone. Applications will affect your battery life. However the simple act of jailbreaking does not. This isn't opinion, or conjecture, or hypothesis. It's fact. Just jailbreaking does nothing at all to your battery. Various applications and changes you make afterward can.

And no, I mean "obviously don't." You obviously didn't just have Cydia and nothing else installed, because Cydia has no way to change the carrier name or any other tweaks. If you installed other things after the fact, you can't sit there and proclaim that just jailbreaking drains your battery.

GinoDotCom

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Jailbroken iPad here and it runs flawless and battery behavior has not changed a bit.

What I noticed is when the battery is at 100%, it'll take forever to dip to 99% as a pose to the time it takes for the battery to go from 99% to 98% and there on forward. It almost stays at 100% for half hour.

The battery life on our ipads has to be the most underrated feature that naysayers fail to realize.

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Jailbroken iPad here and it runs flawless and battery behavior has not changed a bit.

What I noticed is when the battery is at 100%, it'll take forever to dip to 99% as a pose to the time it takes for the battery to go from 99% to 98% and there on forward. It almost stays at 100% for half hour.

The battery life on our ipads has to be the most underrated feature that naysayers fail to realize.

I have noticed that too, it seems to be something with reporting the battery life. If you respring or reboot the iPad while it's been at 100% for a while, usually that number changes immediately.

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
But all i did was jailbreak my iPad and leave cydia there and i noticed a drain, it was a day after that i installed 'Fullforce' and thats it. I used my iPad on wifi and lost 7 percent in around 10 minutes

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Geoff. said:
But all i did was jailbreak my iPad and leave cydia there and i noticed a drain, it was a day after that i installed 'Fullforce' and thats it. I used my iPad on wifi and lost 7 percent in around 10 minutes

If that's actually the case, then your device is faulty. I don't have that much battery loss with five different programs backgrounded, much less leaving it idle with nothing else going on.

Is your brightness up at 100%?

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
Pay attention to what I actually said. Jailbreaking and *leaving it alone* has no affect on battery life. If you've installed tweaks and applications, you obviously didn't just leave it alone. Applications will affect your battery life. However the simple act of jailbreaking does not. This isn't opinion, or conjecture, or hypothesis. It's fact. Just jailbreaking does nothing at all to your battery. Various applications and changes you make afterward can.

And no, I mean "obviously don't." You obviously didn't just have Cydia and nothing else installed, because Cydia has no way to change the carrier name or any other tweaks. If you installed other things after the fact, you can't sit there and proclaim that just jailbreaking drains your battery.

Hate to break it to you but it definitely had an effect on my iPad. I jailbroke mine way before backgrounder was released and the only app I installed was scummvm which I doubt has any processes running in the background. There was a noticeable drop in battery life. A

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Hate to break it to you but it definitely had an effect on my iPad. I jailbroke mine way before backgrounder was released and the only app I installed was scummvm which I doubt has any processes running in the background. There was a noticeable drop in battery life. A

As I said, it's not my opinion. Simply jailbreaking and installing nothing else doesn't affect your battery life. It's been demonstrated, tested, proven. Repeatedly.

It's unfortunate that people mistake other factors that demonstrably affect battery life and pin it on the jailbreak. The jailbreak, outside of installing other software (which I said repeatedly), has no affect on battery life. People who say otherwise are misinformed and spreading that misinformation.

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
My brightness is just a bit up from the lowest It can be.

Btw I firmly believe jailbreaking and even doing nothing drains battery.

But anyways you keep stating the fact that jailbreaking and doing nothing doesn't drain the battery but who in the world would go to the bother of jailbreaking there device and voiding the warranty to *do nothing*, most jailbreakers know why they are jailbreaking and the certain apps and tweaks come hand and hand with the jailbreak. That's like saying "A car loses petrol. No he doesn't only if you turn it on and drive it" Wel obviouly your going to do that.

Jailbreaking drains battery end of.

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Geoff. said:
My brightness is just a bit up from the lowest It can be.

Btw I firmly believe jailbreaking and even doing nothing drains battery.

But anyways you keep stating the fact that jailbreaking and doing nothing doesn't drain the battery but who in the world would go to the bother of jailbreaking there device and voiding the warranty to *do nothing*, most jailbreakers know why they are jailbreaking and the certain apps and tweaks come hand and hand with the jailbreak. That's like saying "A car loses petrol. No he doesn't only if you turn it on and drive it" Wel obviouly your going to do that.

Jailbreaking drains battery end of.

"End of?" No. No one was arguing that installing other applications doesn't affect battery life. Installing other applications isn't "jailbreaking," it's installing other third-party software. Running a video game on your iPad for two hours will reduce battery life far more than running just Safari on your iPad, but there's plenty of games on the App Store. Jailbreaking itself has no further affect on your device. Your "beliefs" don't override the tests people have done to see exactly that. If your battery is running out that fast, take it to get checked out. Mine doesn't go that quickly even after heavy use. Otherwise, you're simply wrong. "End of."

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
But I still don't see your statement of jailbreaking and doing nothing doesn't affect battery. Do you jailbreak and do nothing? I don't know anyone that does

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Do you jailbreak and do nothing? I don't know anyone that does

Did you read the thread prior to jumping into it? I was responding to someone saying that jailbreaking and doing nothing else affects your battery life. It doesn't.

Installing other stuff is not jailbreaking. Jailbreaking is a very specific term referring to the very specific act of opening your device up to non-Apple approved apps. If you've mistaken or misunderstood that specific term that's one thing, but it doesn't redefine what "jailbreaking" means.

Other apps, depending on what you're doing, can affect battery life. No one was refuting that. How much it's affected depends on what you're doing and what you have installed, just like playing a game hurts your battery more than checking email. Personally, and I've been testing it the whole time, I haven't noticed a quantifiable difference in battery life to make me even begin to reconsider jailbreaking. The functionality available to me now is worth a lot more than even losing a potential hour or two of total battery life (but, I would doubt I've even lost 20 minutes.)

Even still, you just tried to make the claim that somehow Cydia by itself was killing your battery when you had nothing else from the jailbreak. That isn't the case, and if you lose 10% of battery life in ten minutes with brightness at 1% sitting there idle, your iPad is faulty; ipso facto.

Otherwise, I think this point has been beleaguered enough.

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Okay but I think we can assume everyone who jailbreaks is going to install some sort of apps/tweaks, if not then they have no reason to jailbreak. I know where your coming from explaining that your just opening up the system and if you don't do anything it won't affect battery but of course you are going to do something.

And my battery seems to be okay at the moment ive used it since 12.20Pm checking mail, browsing wifi and using facebook app in fullforce. It's now 2Pm and my battery is at 91%. I've love an app to see how much the ipad has been used for. I've been become so conscious of the battery since jailbreaking it

Edit : seems to drain very quick when you get pass the 90% mark wow

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
No difference at all in battery life on my jailbroken ipad, jailbroken since the day after I purchased it a couple weeks after launch.

scar88

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009
London
I jail broke mine the day I bought it, around a month ago now, i couldn't tell if the battery was draining quicker as I hadn't had the experience of using an unjailbroken iPad, but yesterday I decided to restore as My iPad kept on crashing, in the small time I've had using it with it being un jail broken (36 hours) I think jailbraiking does have an impact on battery life, for some small, other big, think it depends on what you install from cydia. I had the full works, pro switcher, sbs settings, categories, full force, installous etc

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
The only thing I have installed is FullForce and definitely noticed a larger drain in battery unless the battery drains faster when it is higher up? The first time I watched a movie on my iPad it was a 2 hour movie and it brought the meter from 38% to 34%. I just watched another 2 hour movie last night (after jailbreaking) and it brought the meter from 100% to 89%.

But then the battery is only SUPPOSED to support up to 10 hours of video so maybe my first video was just a freak thing or there is something wrong with the battery meter...I dunno.

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
"The only thing I have installed is FullForce and definitely noticed a larger drain in battery"

Exact same as me.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The only thing I have installed is FullForce and definitely noticed a larger drain in battery unless the battery drains faster when it is higher up? The first time I watched a movie on my iPad it was a 2 hour movie and it brought the meter from 38% to 34%. I just watched another 2 hour movie last night (after jailbreaking) and it brought the meter from 100% to 89%.

But then the battery is only SUPPOSED to support up to 10 hours of video so maybe my first video was just a freak thing or there is something wrong with the battery meter...I dunno.

100% to 89% in 2 hours works out to almost 20 hours of watching video, that's pretty damn good IMO, I'd certainly be happy with that.

I run full force, but really only use it occasionally for Navigon so really don't see any battery drain. I think if I have lots of tabs open in Atomic and I minimize it I can see some increased battery drain, but that's obvious why that is.

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
I use mine on low brightness and it takes a while to get from 100 to 90% but after that it flys down for some reason

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.