Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I jailbroke and didn't install or do anything after and I noticed a drain in battery. It's very annoying and I don't want to restore as I have all my music and photos on it
That was my experience as well. But regaining battery life was worth the hassle of doing a full restore.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
No difference at all in battery life on my jailbroken ipad, jailbroken since the day after I purchased it a couple weeks after launch.

this is exactly the problem. those that say that a JB'ed iPad doesn't drain battery life would not be able to discern if this is the case since most people JB once they get their iPads.

my suggestion is this:

restore your ipad to factory settings, NO JAILBREAKING.

use it for a few days/weeks. you will notice how much better the battery life is. many other users can attest to this.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
100% to 89% in 2 hours works out to almost 20 hours of watching video, that's pretty damn good IMO, I'd certainly be happy with that.

I run full force, but really only use it occasionally for Navigon so really don't see any battery drain. I think if I have lots of tabs open in Atomic and I minimize it I can see some increased battery drain, but that's obvious why that is.

I am definitely not complaining. I am very happy with my battery life...It is just something I noticed. The first movie was ridiculous so i don't really expect it to happen. I use full force for lynda.com app and Facebook and for just those 2 apps I think it is worth it. I hope apple implements something similar in the upgrade bc i want to unjailbreak.

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
this is exactly the problem. those that say that a JB'ed iPad doesn't drain battery life would not be able to discern if this is the case since most people JB once they get their iPads.

Except you're ignoring people like me who have said several times that they've been running tests against non-jailbroken iPads several times and notice no real difference in battery life.

Personally, I get great battery life on mine to the extent that I wouldn't restore it back to Apple's locked system in order to get an extra hour or two. It's not worth it to me. If it is to you, isn't it great that we have choices?

chylld

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
Just bought an iPad and was amazed at the battery life - only went down 1% after an hour of tinkering with it (after charging it overnight).

Jailbroke it before I went to sleep and charged it overnight again. Now the battery goes down a whopping 10% per hour! And I haven't installed anything at all (backgrounder etc.) (And no apps at all)

Restored the iPad back to non-JB firwmare and the battery life is fine again.

The fact that this thread exists is proof enough that simply JBing can significantly reduce the battery life of the device. Very disappointed by the attitudes of some posters here, who are convinced that the problem doesn't exist if they can't replicate it themselves. Very similar to Apple fanboys defending the antenna.

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Just bought an iPad and was amazed at the battery life - only went down 1% after an hour of tinkering with it (after charging it overnight).

Jailbroke it before I went to sleep and charged it overnight again. Now the battery goes down a whopping 10% per hour! And I haven't installed anything at all (backgrounder etc.) (And no apps at all)

Restored the iPad back to non-JB firwmare and the battery life is fine again.

The fact that this thread exists is proof enough that simply JBing can significantly reduce the battery life of the device. Very disappointed by the attitudes of some posters here, who are convinced that the problem doesn't exist if they can't replicate it themselves. Very similar to Apple fanboys defending the antenna.

It's not proof of anything other than some people not knowing what they're talking about.

It's also not about replicating the problem. The complaints some people have are simply impossible due to the way the act of jailbreaking actually affects the iPad. There is *nothing* done to it if you just jailbreak. At all. It just disables the internal check that the iOS does to keep installed applications to just the ones available from iTunes.

That's it. Jailbreaking doesn't do anything at all to your battery. End of discussion. If your battery is going fast after jailbreaking, there's a hundred other possible reasons for it that are far more likely than what you're blaming -- incorrectly -- instead.

Disagree with my attitude all you want, but don't be pissy because you don't know what actually happens during the jailbreaking procedure and are jumping at ghosts instead.

chylld

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
It's not proof of anything other than some people not knowing what they're talking about.

It's also not about replicating the problem. The complaints some people have are simply impossible due to the way the act of jailbreaking actually affects the iPad. There is *nothing* done to it if you just jailbreak. At all. It just disables the internal check that the iOS does to keep installed applications to just the ones available from iTunes.

That's it. Jailbreaking doesn't do anything at all to your battery. End of discussion. If your battery is going fast after jailbreaking, there's a hundred other possible reasons for it that are far more likely than what you're blaming -- incorrectly -- instead.

Disagree with my attitude all you want, but don't be pissy because you don't know what actually happens during the jailbreaking procedure and are jumping at ghosts instead.

Perhaps you do not understand logic. Let me educate you.

Say there is a bag of 10 apples. 9 of them are red and 1 is brown. The apples are distributed between us so that you have 5 red apples and I have 4 red & 1 brown.

I observe that there is 1 brown apple, and say that "some apples are brown, some are red." However, since you can only see red apples in your group, you think that all apples are red. You refuse to believe otherwise because as far as you know, all apples are red. And of course apples should be red, right? Because of the way apples grow, and all of the pictures you've seen of apples are red, they must therefore all be red.

I am asserting that just as some apples may not be red, some iPads may not be totally unaffected wrt battery life after jailbreaking the iPad. This thread would not exist (and indeed it is not just me you are arguing against) if some people did not have this problem. And while the circumstantial evidence does not prove that jailbreaking affects the battery life of ALL iPads, it is definitely true that it affects the battery life for some.

I recall reading somewhere else that the iPad runs an app/script at startup to disable iOS' internal check. I suspect the app/script responsible for this action is not terminating properly and is left running in the background. Since I am comparing a freshly-restored iOS 3.2.1 non-JB to a freshly-restored iOS 3.2.1 JB, there is very little else that is different. Perhaps the temperature in the room by 1-2 degrees? But that's it.

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Perhaps you do not understand logic. Let me educate you.

I understand logic fine. Behaving like a child because you lack the technical skills necessary to understand why your claim is implausible doesn't win anyone onto your side and will likely cause people to simply dismiss you instead of providing the following wall of text in the hopes that you can "educate" yourself:

Say there is a bag of 10 apples. 9 of them are red and 1 is brown. The apples are distributed between us so that you have 5 red apples and I have 4 red & 1 brown.

I observe that there is 1 brown apple, and say that "some apples are brown, some are red." However, since you can only see red apples in your group, you think that all apples are red. You refuse to believe otherwise because as far as you know, all apples are red. And of course apples should be red, right? Because of the way apples grow, and all of the pictures you've seen of apples are red, they must therefore all be red.

Your analogy has nothing to do with this subject. A more accurate version of your analogy, applied to your argument, would be to say that some apples are brown and some are red and the brown apples became brown because a magic pixie looked at them the wrong way while they were on the tree.

I am asserting that just as some apples may not be red, some iPads may not be totally unaffected wrt battery life after jailbreaking the iPad. This thread would not exist (and indeed it is not just me you are arguing against) if some people did not have this problem. And while the circumstantial evidence does not prove that jailbreaking affects the battery life of ALL iPads, it is definitely true that it affects the battery life for some.

You answered your own question right there. If some iPads/iPhones/iPod Touches are affected this way and not others, then it has nothing to do with the jailbreak. It's something particular to those devices, irrelevant to the jailbreak itself.

I recall reading somewhere else that the iPad runs an app/script at startup to disable iOS' internal check.

It doesn't.

I suspect the app/script responsible for this action is not terminating properly and is left running in the background. Since I am comparing a freshly-restored iOS 3.2.1 non-JB to a freshly-restored iOS 3.2.1 JB, there is very little else that is different. Perhaps the temperature in the room by 1-2 degrees? But that's it.

And here is where a myriad number of issues can come into play. Do you have display brightness up to 100%? That's the fastest way to kill your battery. Wifi on? 3G? Excessive applications sending push notifications?

Did you restore your iPad from a backup after you jailbroke it? There could be an issue from a previous application that is lingering. Apple doesn't compare its backup restoration against jailbroken devices, so there can be issues that manifest there which don't when you restore a backup between locked devices.

Did you reset your network settings after you jailbroke? That's commonly been pointed out as a rationale behind a fast-discharging battery as conflicts in those settings can interfere with the device's normal idle-status checks.

Did you run Cydia for the first time after you jailbroke? On its first run, it updates a number of components necessary to Cydia, even if you don't install anything. Installing these updates would no longer validate the "I didn't install anything after jailbreaking" argument. Installing those updates might also fix your issue.

Or your battery itself could just be bad. I've only seen a handful of people complaining here about the battery discharging fast while the device was locked with the screen off and in every single case they took their device back and replaced it for another and the problem was no longer evident.

That's just a list of possibilities off the top of my head. If some iPads have an issue with jailbreaking, once again, that's not the jailbreak. If my MacBook has a kernel panic when I install a program because it has a bad processor, that's not a problem with the program. It's a problem with the MacBook.

This is why I take these claims of "jailbreaking ruins my battery!!!!" with much eyerolling. Most of the time people have absolutely no clue about how it works and are blaming the first thing that strikes them as related even when it isn't.

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
It's also worth pointing out that even with a handful of people reporting the battery issue, the prevailing opinion is that it has no effect.

I'm not arguing with you on whether or not your battery is going fast, I'm saying that if it is it's because of an issue that has nothing at all to do with the jailbreak itself. It could have certainly been exacerbated after you jailbroke, and something was elevated that is causing the problem, but the jailbreak itself has absolutely no effect at all on battery life.

Just because your battery started going faster after you jailbroke doesn't mean it was the jailbreak that caused it. Correlation does not imply causation.

--

Edit to add:

I actually missed this sentence the first time through. If you go through the many threads discussing battery life, jailbroken and not, you would see that 10% an hour is pretty much the average across the board whether or not you're jailbroken.

At 10% an hour, your device gets approximately 10 hours of use, which is right within Apple's own stated guidelines:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Battery and power

* Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music
* Up to 9 hours of surfing the web using 3G data network

In which case, after you jailbroke, you had absolutely no change in battery life if it's still discharging at that rate.

Obviously, playing a game vs browsing the internet is going to drain it faster.

But mine gets about 10 - 11 hours of actual use with 3G and wifi on, brightness at 30%, backgrounder and a handful of applications running. It's got exactly the same battery as it did when I bought it in May.

There also seems to be an issue with the way the iPad reports its battery discharging. Mine, in particular, hangs at 100% for an hour or two before suddenly reporting 99% and rapidly dropping down to 80%. It's not the battery going faster, it's just the percentage point taking a while to "catch up." This has been reported across the board, and may explain why you thought that your battery had only dropped 1% after an hour of use when it wasn't jailbroken.

So, I don't even know what you're arguing for. Your iPad has the battery life it's supposed to. 10 hours of use is still more than the supposed max of my MacBook Pro which has *never* got the eight hours Apple says it's supposed to.

chylld

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
Thanks for devoting so much time and effort to the conversation.

Do you have display brightness up to 100%? That's the fastest way to kill your battery. Wifi on? 3G? Excessive applications sending push notifications?
Did you restore your iPad from a backup after you jailbroke it?
Did you reset your network settings after you jailbroke?

Display brightness was the same. Wifi was on both before and after JB. No 3G on my model so that's not a factor. No applications installed. Didn't restore from a backup. Reset network settings (and everything) back to default since it was a full restore.

Did you run Cydia for the first time after you jailbroke? On its first run, it updates a number of components necessary to Cydia, even if you don't install anything.

Yes I did, and I did the updates it wanted me to do. Perhaps I should try again without running Cydia, but I have a strong feeling that would defeat the point of JB in the first place?

Or your battery itself could just be bad.

If the battery was bad, I would see the same rapid battery loss after restoring it to the non-JB 3.2.1. However I didn't - an hour of web browsing and it still hovers around 98-99%.

Just because your battery started going faster after you jailbroke doesn't mean it was the jailbreak that caused it. Correlation does not imply causation.

That is correct, however there aren't any other common factors that I can see? Given the above (re wifi, restore etc.) please suggest what other factors can possibly play in rapidly deteriorating battery life after changing only ONE thing: JB. You have made it very clear that JB SHOULD NOT affect battery life in any way, and God knows I want to believe you (why am I posting here? because I WANT to get non-JB battery life with my JB iPad!) so rather than re-hashing the same points can we start some constructive discussion??

There also seems to be an issue with the way the iPad reports its battery discharging. Mine, in particular, hangs at 100% for an hour or two before suddenly reporting 99% and rapidly dropping down to 80%. It's not the battery going faster, it's just the percentage point taking a while to "catch up." This has been reported across the board, and may explain why you thought that your battery had only dropped 1% after an hour of use when it wasn't jailbroken.

Thanks for posting something plausible rather than just an expression of attitude.

This is a good possibility, however I monitored the battery life very closely after JB and then again after restoring to non-JB. In both cases, yes, the battery life hovered around 100% before dropping. However with the JB, after it dropped to 99% it dropped 1% every few minutes, quite regularly with no sudden drop whatsoever. After restoring to non-JB, not only did it stay at 100% longer, but after it dropped to 99% it didn't budge at all. In both cases, the iPad was left to charge overnight and was used within 5 minutes of unplugging.

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I just showed you that your battery is not rapidly deteriorating. If it's discharging at 10% an hour, that's how it's supposed to go. Look at the many threads here about battery life and you will see that 10% discharge an hour is very much "average use" and corresponds directly to Apple's own 10 hours of battery life.

Nothing's wrong with your iPad, post jailbreak or not.

This is a good possibility, however I monitored the battery life very closely after JB and then again after restoring to non-JB. In both cases, yes, the battery life hovered around 100% before dropping. However with the JB, after it dropped to 99% it dropped 1% every few minutes, quite regularly with no sudden drop whatsoever. After restoring to non-JB, not only did it stay at 100% longer, but after it dropped to 99% it didn't budge at all. In both cases, the iPad was left to charge overnight and was used within 5 minutes of unplugging.

Here's my suggestion. If you're not jailbroken currently, leave the iPad off of power for half an hour or so but continue to use it normally. Reboot the device. When it comes back up, I'm willing to bet that the iPad won't be reporting 100% battery life at all anymore, but something around 95/96%. There seems to be something about how it actually reports battery life that isn't updated on a regular basis, but resolves itself after a restart/respring.

In which case your battery has discharged more than a percentage point, you just didn't notice it because the battery's percentage was reported incorrectly.

d4rkb1t

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2010
Hi!

First of all... please excuse my poor English.

English:

One week ago I bought an iPad (32GB Wifi), and today i've been testing the battery, in many cases:

Case 1: Without Jailbreak, brightness at 40%, intensive web browsing: 1% in 8 minutes.

Case 2: With Jailbreak, without any application installed, 40% brihtness, intensive web browsing: 1% in 7/8 minutes (""same"" as without jailbreak)

Case 3: With Jailbreak, with backgrounder + circuitous, applications: mail, safari, twitter (official twitter), goodreader and iannotatePDF, 30 mb free ram (more or less)... and most important: focus on iannotatePDF (not web browsing.... or... not intensive web browsing): 1% in 6/7 minutes.

Case 4: With Jailbreak, backgrounder + circuitous, applicatiosn: mail, safari, twitter, feeddlerRSS, iannotatePDF and intensive web browsing: 1% in 6 minutes.

Summary:

Case 1: 13 hours.
Case 2: 12,5 hours.
Case 3: 10,8 hours.
Case 4: 10 hours.

Differences about Case 1 and Case 4: Case 4 have a 25% less of battery than case 1.

There is an interval of 3 hours, it's truth that it is an (important) battery drain, btw I think that I can "tolerate" this battery drain because the jailbreak brings me the multitasking.

When Apple release the ios4 for iPad, I will restore my iPad and work without the jailbreak, but since that moment I will "pay" this 3 hours of battery life.

Thanks ^^!

Spanish:

Hace una semana me compré un iPad (32GB Wifi), y hoy he estado testeando la bateria, en muchos casos:

Caso 1: Sin Jailbreak, brillo al 40%, WebBrowsing intensivo: 1% en 8 minutos.

Caso 2: Con Jailbreak, sin instalar ninguna aplicación, 40% de brillo, WebBrowsing intensivo: 1% 7/8 minutos (mas o menos como sin jailbreak)

Caso 3: Con Jailbreak, con backgrounder + circuitous, aplicaciones: mail, safari, twitter (el oficial), goodreader, y iannotatePDF, 30 mb de ram libres (mas o menos)... y lo mas importante: teniendo como apliación en pantalla iAnnotatePDF (sin hacer webbrowsing, o en todo caso, WebBrowsing intensivo): 1% 6/7 minutos.

Caso 4: Con Jailbreak, backgrounder + circuitous, aplicaciones: mail, safari, twitter, feeddlerRSS, iannotatePDF y WebBrowsing intensivo: 1% en 6 minutos (nunca menos de 6 minutos).

Resumen:

Case 1: 13 horas.
Case 2: 12,5 horas.
Case 3: 10,8 horas.
Case 4: 10 horas.

Diferencias entre el Caso 1 y el Caso 4: Caso 4 tiene un 25% menos de bateria que el Caso 1.

Hay un intervalo de mas o menos 3 horas, es verdad que es un (importante) gasto de bateria, aun así creo que puedo "tolerar" este gasto de bateria ya que el jailbreak me habilita la opción de multitasking.

Cuando Apple saque el ios4 para el iPad, restauraré mi iPad y trabajaré sin jailbreak, pero hasta que eso no pase "pagaré" esas 3 horas de bateria.

Gracias!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.