Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I used Siri the other day to add butter to my grocery list and it worked. The last time I tried to use Siri was about a year ago and that time it didn’t work at all. So if by iOS 18 they could improve it even further I’d be very impressed indeed. Progress!

Sources tell me you might be able to add eggs via Siri request next year!!! ;)

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
The next iOS, Mac OS and related OS’s will be packed to the brim with AI features. I just hope that beneath it they don’t forget they are operating systems and stability and relatability are first and foremost the most important aspects.

I have a feeling these features may spell the end for Intel macs. They will claim that since they don’t have any neural network hardware.

Forget environmental concerns. Landfill… here come millions of Intel macs. And a few M1 macs ☹️

hoodlum90

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2020
looks like I will wait a long time to upgrade to iOS 18, unless I get an iPhone 16 which Gurman said in this newsletter will on.y get minor updates ...
Assuming the other leaker is accurate is saying that some Siri enhancements would only be available with the iPhone 16, then that would suggest Apple is planning a major update to the Neural Engine. It would make sense to tie the software and hardware advancements together.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Assuming the other leaker is accurate is saying that some Siri enhancements would only be available with the iPhone 16, then that would suggest Apple is planning a major update to the Neural Engine. It would make sense to tie the software and hardware advancements together.
They really need to ensure certain features are specific to the latest handsets. Maybe one year and then pull most features to keep people upgrading. Gotta keep that revenue coming in!

The landfills are gonna be full of iPhones, iPads and Macs.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
It's all good. Just don't artificially limit features to the latest iPhones, or Pro models.
Yeah, that’s what I’m afraid. A15, A16 and especially A17 devices have a powerful Neural Engine and limiting features to only A18 devices would be an ugly movement.

I’m expecting that most AI features will be done in the cloud, requiring an Internet connection, and only on the A18 and A18 Pro devices from next year this processing will be done on-device.

As an owner of A15 and M2 devices, it will hurt to see how they limit some features to the new A18.

sflagel

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
I would like to see integration of Siri with Apps. I would like to be able to just order a pepperoni pizza from Dominoes and have Siri guide me through the process first (what size would you like, Small, Medium, Large), then order through the best app, pay, and keep me up to date on the delivery. I don't care what app is best to order pizza, I care that the pizza arrives.

We need to move to a post-app world.

(and while we are at it, can Apple store a copy of my apps in the cloud so I can use all apps via Siri on my Apple Watch...?)

Last edited:

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Running Office 2000 on Windows 10 and a modern system, you'll barely see the loading screen...

If Apple allowed running older versions with the new hardware, performance would be lightning fast... iOS 17 seems to be fast on iPhone 15 series because it was designed for it... If iOS 17 can be installed on a future faster hardware, it would feel like lightning fast...

For iOS 18 and newer, I would like for Apple to optimize the code, remove the unnecessary ones and not leave/depend the performance aspect on hardware alone... Also, they should bring back the look from iOS 6 and older...

Right now, Apple seems to be unbeatable in terms of performance due to the hardware and software optimization... However, I think the software still needs further optimization and removal of unneeded lines of code...

Is everyone/almost all now highly reliant on AI for Apple to join in?

Reactions: ToyoCorollaGR

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Yeah, that’s what I’m afraid. A15, A16 and especially A17 devices have a powerful Neural Engine and limiting features to only A18 devices would be an ugly movement.

I’m expecting that most AI features will be done in the cloud, requiring an Internet connection, and only on the A18 and A18 Pro devices from next year this processing will be done on-device.

As an owner of A15 and M2 devices, it will hurt to see how they limit some features to the new A18.
Apple are going to milk the neural processing capabilities next in order to cut support for older iPhones, iPads and Macs. For them it’s one way to ensure the revenue keeps coming in.

RRsailor

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2018
Durham, NC
Not being argumentative here, genuine question: what is it your care about? Can you give an example of something good you think it might do? I'd like to be excited, but like another poster said I fear it's just going to be gimmicky crap.
Compare the "Sponsored"-loaded results from Google with "the answer" (imagine that!) from ChatGPT. Ask ChatGPT to write to a government representative about an issue, or write a complaint about a service/system problem. Have it build spreadsheet macros for you. I have done all of these and more. The list goes on and on. My Apple devices can give me a powerful personal assistant environment at my desk, in my pocket, on my wrist, and in my ears.

Reactions: neuropsychguy

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
It will ‘found this on the internet’ even faster for you know when you ask it to turn the lights off! Brilliant innovation 🤣

I moved to Alexa Years ago, because it works. Apple is far too late with its improvements.

Reactions: Jason2000

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
Exclusive to 16pro, but most of the processing will be online…
I have not seen any benefits in Siri despite every iPhone is “sooooo much capable of AI on device…”. Plain marketing.

Verified Whiskey

Suspended
Mar 27, 2023
Apple is still said to be debating whether to deploy its new generative AI technology via the cloud, as an on-device experience, or a mixture of both.
I’d hope this lands on the on device side for privacy reasons, but that big of a model could potentially be huge to store on device so there’s that too.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Compare the "Sponsored"-loaded results from Google with "the answer" (imagine that!) from ChatGPT. Ask ChatGPT to write to a government representative about an issue, or write a complaint about a service/system problem. Have it build spreadsheet macros for you. I have done all of these and more. The list goes on and on. My Apple devices can give me a powerful personal assistant environment at my desk, in my pocket, on my wrist, and in my ears.
It’s all good… but you better check its work as one day you will find out it sent out a letter filled with inaccuracies and mistakes… then what will you tell the recipient. That it wasn’t you, you didn’t read it yourself?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.