Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
And that’s how you know the next version of macOS will be apple silicon only. All the stuff that needs AI in the latest version is apple silicon only and I bet the whole is is next release.

They would never ever ever ever admit this, or allow it to be even suspected. But I’d be amazed there wasn’t an off the record discussion that Apple Silicon, specifically the neural processing part, would be a way to dump support for an entire generation of Macs. And sell another generation of Macs.

But this is business… environmental considerations are secondary to making money. Until it isn’t. But then it’s too late.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
It will ‘found this on the internet’ even faster for you know when you ask it to turn the lights off! Brilliant innovation 🤣

I moved to Alexa Years ago, because it works. Apple is far too late with its improvements.

I had all Alexa for a few years, it worked great for along time....but I sold it all a few month ago. I don't know what happened over the last year, but it got BAD; It quit understanding, it wouldn't answer, it didn't know, etc.. It wasn't specific devices, it was all of them, including the App.

Didn't go to Siri. I just quit using voice assistants all-together.

Reactions: seanrt and Pezimak

GuyDouche

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2023
I certainly hope that this release will have the fewest bugs ever to be released on any iOS version.

goonie4life9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Folks, don't get all worked-up over the now tired but entirely predictable tutti-fruitti, phoney-baloney, plastic banana, good time rock-n-roll Apple PR "leaks." This is all very intentionally done to create "excitement" and "set the narrative" that Apple is incredibly bleeding edge. When the OS is released, we'll hear the same trite, scripted phrases: "all new," "best ever," "most powerful," "fastest," "whole new level," "can't wait to see," etc. Apple makes good products, so why they need to continue this kind of nonsense is beyond me. Let the products speak for themselves.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I used Siri the other day to add butter to my grocery list and it worked. The last time I tried to use Siri was about a year ago and that time it didn’t work at all. So if by iOS 18 they could improve it even further I’d be very impressed indeed. Progress!

I use Siri every day to to exactly that task (well, more than just butter). You might want to give yourself a better sample size than just two data points.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
1) Can we add "courageous" to get Apple BS Bingo?
2) How about the first AI bit being not needing the $#^%#%^@ing internet to do basic voice recognition? Shouldn't need it to make calls / etc.
Those things are done locally already

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I'd be happy if they'd fix Siri's sluggish listening that came back.

Siri: *Ding from Siri*

Me: "Text John Smith".

Siri: "What do you want to know about John Smith?"

Me: "Nothing you $*#&*&@# I SAID TEXT JOHN SMITH!"

• Haha
Reactions: Le0M and haydn!

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
More gimmicky features piled on to impress shareholders when theres a mountain of bugs still not fixed

Starting to hate this company

Reactions: JamesHolden

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
Give me a Siri that can answer any question - be them written or spoken - and I don't need any new feature for years to come.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I use Siri every day to to exactly that task (well, more than just butter). You might want to give yourself a better sample size than just two data points.
At some point it failed so many times I gave up all together. Actually now with typing in my grocery list it can suggest past entries. I find it pretty quick especially with multiple items.

But I digress, Siri can do more than I give it credit for yet a lot of users have been asking for improvements for a long time. Hopefully Apple’s careful approach results in a superior product in the end.

Reactions: Tagbert

pappl

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2020
Europe
Siri can't even tell the Date/Time and the weather with Shortcuts without stuttering (German language).
Bug isn't fixed since years.

It took years to fix this bug:
"Siri, call Susi" -> "Can't find Susie in your contact list" :mad:

My hopes for useful Siri are ending.

Reactions: GuruZac

TheNewLou

macrumors regular
May 24, 2016
The next iOS, Mac OS and related OS’s will be packed to the brim with AI features. I just hope that beneath it they don’t forget they are operating systems and stability and relatability are first and foremost the most important aspects.

I have a feeling these features may spell the end for Intel macs. They will claim that since they don’t have any neural network hardware.

Forget environmental concerns. Landfill… here come millions of Intel macs. And a few M1 macs ☹️
The M4 will debut next autumn with macOS 15, so that's 4 generations of M-series Macs. But I still think Apple would support the last year of Intel Macs; they'll probably just not support the AI features on Intel Macs.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
Of course I’m curious to see what they come up with; but I’m not sure generative AI features are the top of my list for future OS updates.

Apple need to tread carefully with this. One of their core markets is the creative industry, and creative professionals are not exactly huge fans of generative AI as it’s essentially become nothing more than automated plagiarism.

Use AI to improve workflows though, absolutely!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.