Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
It's just so frustrating Apple chooses design over practicality with the Airpods pro.
I have a Beats Flex and the silicone tips make 100% perfect seal. Never fall off, perfect. Airpods pro? no matter which tip size I use, no seal whatsoever. My only remedy is to manually stuff foam inserts into the silicon tips. Comply and similar won't work either.

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
It's just so frustrating Apple chooses design over practicality with the Airpods pro.
I have a Beats Flex and the silicone tips make 100% perfect seal. Never fall off, perfect. Airpods pro? no matter which tip size I use, no seal whatsoever. My only remedy is to manually stuff foam inserts into the silicon tips. Comply and similar won't work either.
not sure what your gripe is.. aren't AirPods pros tips also silicone?

Drugmx

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2019
Can someone tell me whether 2021 airpods pro are fixed for nc decrease/rattling over time due to vent design or still we have the same?

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
I will let you know in a couple months time as I’ve just had mine replace for the 10th time and these look like the slightly tweaked design ones.

What is the tweaked design? I also had mine replaced (started buzzing), but didn’t see anything different.

The replacements pass seal test with medium tips which I could never achieve with the original set.

jim29411

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
What is the tweaked design? I also had mine replaced (started buzzing), but didn’t see anything different.

The replacements pass seal test with medium tips which I could never achieve with the original set.
I am having the problem with the left Air Pod. It worked for 6 months. I have replace the ear tip and tried all different sizes and the test will no longer pass. I have Apple Care on the Air Pods and Apple Tech support will not replace them. They are telling me that the fix is to ignore the results of the Ear Tip Fit Test. To me, the response it unacceptable and I asked to see the internal information that states to ignore the test results. Apple refused to provide me with this information. Bummer.

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
I am having the problem with the left Air Pod. It worked for 6 months. I have replace the ear tip and tried all different sizes and the test will no longer pass. I have Apple Care on the Air Pods and Apple Tech support will not replace them. They are telling me that the fix is to ignore the results of the Ear Tip Fit Test. To me, the response it unacceptable and I asked to see the internal information that states to ignore the test results. Apple refused to provide me with this information. Bummer.
Buy blu tack or any other similar sticky tack product and use it to clean the external microphone meshes, just warm the blu tack a little on your fingers and push it agains the mesh and quickly pull it a few times. It will work I promise. Safe and easy.

jim29411

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
Buy blu tack or any other similar sticky tack product and use it to clean the external microphone meshes, just warm the blu tack a little on your fingers and push it agains the mesh and quickly pull it a few times. It will work I promise. Safe and easy.
I tired blu track and it did not work so I went to the Apple Store. The removed the ear tips and put both EarPods into a machine that tests for proper operation. The left air pod consistently failed the Apple test. Apple then replaced the Air Pods and the problem is solved.

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
I tired blu track and it did not work so I went to the Apple Store. The removed the ear tips and put both EarPods into a machine that tests for proper operation. The left air pod consistently failed the Apple test. Apple then replaced the Air Pods and the problem is solved.
I don’t think you tried hard enough or maybe something more serious happened with the microphone but I’m glad you got it solved.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
What happens with the airpods pro that causes them to lose the seal over time?

I had mine exchanged, they worked perfectly, now after about 6 months I cant pass the fit test with the same tips which worked before....

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.

I had mine exchanged, they worked perfectly, now after about 6 months I cant pass the fit test with the same tips which worked before....
Have you tried replacing the tips with new ones?

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018

The fit test is a stupid gimmick and pass/fail makes no difference in sound quality. Stop torturing yourself.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
The fit test is a stupid gimmick and pass/fail makes no difference in sound quality. Stop torturing yourself.

But it does. The bass is fuller, and the noise cancellation better. I haven’t done this test since I got the replacement AirPods Pro , and actually did it yesterday as I noticed that sound quality and noise cancellation has deteriorated.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
But it does. The bass is fuller, and the noise cancellation better. I haven’t done this test since I got the replacement AirPods Pro , and actually did it yesterday as I noticed that sound quality and noise cancellation has deteriorated.
The fit test has works 50/50 for me and I detect zero difference in sound quality between when it works and when it doesn't. I use the large tips and the seal and sound is perfect. I think it’s a useless gimmick. No one needs their phone to tell them if their ear-buds fit. You don't see this crap on any high end ear buds. It's a gimmick to make people believe these are worth the “pro” moniker.

Last edited:

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
No, I don’t have new ones. Are they now considered consumables which I need to buy periodically?
I can say that over time they lose their ability of sealing in the ear. I replaced mine after the 1st year and the new pair works well

carlosnunez.dfw

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2019
The AirPods Pro 2 FINALLY fix this problem. Here's the post I submitted to Reddit about it; apologies for formatting.

Notice [this](https://ibb.co/4Y9RGYw) from the first AirPods Pro.

Now, notice [this](https://ibb.co/wsS3jq8) from the newest AirPods Pro.

By moving the vents to the top of the bud, Apple finally solved the biggest problem that plagued the original AirPods Pro. Ear wax would make its way past the grille and into the vents. When this happened, you would:

- Feel like the sound was imbalanced (it always affected my right bud before my left one, but both would ultimately suffer)
- Lose bass, and
- Experience less noise cancellation

Apple tried to mitigate this by recessing the vents slightly after they started the Service Program back in Oct 2020. [Here's](https://old.reddit.com/r/AirpodsPro/comments/izxcka/just_got_my_replacement_right_airpod_and_noticed/) a post showing the difference between the two designs. After following [this MacRumors thread](https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/airpod-pro-ear-tip-fit-test-not-working-not-the-only-one.2208392/page-38) for a few years, it was obvious that this was a design fault. I'm glad that Apple agreed!

I had my AirPods replaced **six times** over two years because of this. I ultimately landed up working with their "Executive Relations" team after "emailing Tim Cook" about it (which I never do).

I'm so glad I won't have to get them replaced anymore...at least for this!

porkrind

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
The AirPods Pro 2 FINALLY fix this problem.
So glad they've fixed this problem. I went through a couple pairs before the cause was conclusively identified. I now know that I need to use the BluTak method on the vents once or twice a week and I hate that process. New ones show up today.

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
Let's hope this new version doesn't need as much baby siting as the first gen. I love mine and it's almost two years old without issues, but I do regularly clean it with blueback. I'm looking forward for this new version specially for the improved noise cancelation.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
The AirPods Pro 2 FINALLY fix this problem. Here's the post I submitted to Reddit about it; apologies for formatting.

Notice [this](https://ibb.co/4Y9RGYw) from the first AirPods Pro.

Now, notice [this](https://ibb.co/wsS3jq8) from the newest AirPods Pro.

By moving the vents to the top of the bud, Apple finally solved the biggest problem that plagued the original AirPods Pro. Ear wax would make its way past the grille and into the vents. When this happened, you would:

- Feel like the sound was imbalanced (it always affected my right bud before my left one, but both would ultimately suffer)
- Lose bass, and
- Experience less noise cancellation

Apple tried to mitigate this by recessing the vents slightly after they started the Service Program back in Oct 2020. [Here's](https://old.reddit.com/r/AirpodsPro/comments/izxcka/just_got_my_replacement_right_airpod_and_noticed/) a post showing the difference between the two designs. After following [this MacRumors thread](https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/airpod-pro-ear-tip-fit-test-not-working-not-the-only-one.2208392/page-38) for a few years, it was obvious that this was a design fault. I'm glad that Apple agreed!

I had my AirPods replaced **six times** over two years because of this. I ultimately landed up working with their "Executive Relations" team after "emailing Tim Cook" about it (which I never do).

I'm so glad I won't have to get them replaced anymore...at least for this!
Wait, so…did Apple give you Gen2s as a warranty replacement of your Gen1s? I almost never get AppleCare+, but I did with my Gen1s, hoping that I would eventually be able to get Gen2s as a warranty replacement. I’ve had mine replaced already, but not six times, so I’m just curious. Thx.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.