Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
thank you very much for your answer.
I’ve always used blue tack as best practice for the cleaning of my APP but after 6 months a bud starts rattling, out of the blue.

I asked for a replacement of both buds and now they sound great (the mic sucks as ).

I checked the image on apple website and in the very first one the mesh is not even.

View attachment 1754982
It is very even on this picture, it’s just the lightning. My first model was exactly like this
3206E77B-E04F-4E80-8FD2-AAFCC87B6F5C.jpeg

Now look at this (my replacement)
9E1119E6-BFBB-4168-BC88-E1AB17A23AD6.jpeg

edit: a picture from the iFixIt it tear down made October 2019
C2F09058-AE30-4E4D-AECC-F91186E149BD.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jutah and Peter K.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Reactions: evertjr

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
I’ve got crackling in one air pod if moving around. Should I request a replacement of that one? This is my second pair from apple now

guinnessduck

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2020
I’ve got crackling in one air pod if moving around. Should I request a replacement of that one? This is my second pair from apple now
As long as Apple keeps replacing them, definitely request the replacement. This is on them, and they need to make sure the issue is taken care of one way or the other. You pay that much money, you deserve a product that does what it advertises!

Reactions: Peter K.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
I am going to throw my hat into the ring With the theory of a clogged vent. Was having issue with both app failing. Apple support sent me replacements. Good for about a week then right one started failing test again. Also noticed sense of increases pressure in right ear. After reading about others having success with cleaning outside grills, I gave this an attempt. Was unsuccessful at multiple methods such as sticky tape or just whipping off with lint free cloth. Finally in a last ditch effort put my mouth over the outside grills and used suction to try to clear them out (super sexy I know). However it was successful. Noticed an immediate change in inner ear pressure and both sides have now passed the tests Numerous times, and right unit seems to have slightly better bass then before cleaning. Also had the increased bone conduction in right ear, this also has been greatly reduced.
Apologies for the thread necro, but I had to credit this post - the gradual loss of bass and failing of the seal test were stupefying me. After cleaning (and yes, sucking hard on) the mesh, the improvement is immediate and audible, and the seal test passes. Crazy.

PhantomSoul

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
Earwax acts as a lubricant and, if there's enough of it (really doesn't take much) around the tips, it will cause them to jostle loose and break their seal as soon as they start making any kind of sound (which is vibration, right?) no matter which size or style (silicone vs memory foam, etc.) tips you use.

If you're seeing wax on your AirPod Pro tips when you take them out of your ear, this could be the reason for your poor seal. Try cleaning the wax out of the edges of your ear, where the tips would come into contact with your ear - but be very careful not to insert objects such as q-tips or anything actually into your ear. Also try cleaning the wax of the tips as best as you can too (Apple's guidance -- do not engage any power to any part after cleaning until it is completely dry). Waxy tips may be slick in your ears and jostle loose with the sound vibrations.

If your AirPods Pro won't stay sealed despite your best attempts to remove earwax or try all sizes and styles, return them if you still can; there is nothing that Apple - or anyone else - can do to achieve noise cancellation in your ears with an earbud-style headphone. Consider instead over-the-ear headphones that have a better chance at maintaining their seal, or save yourself some money with regular AirPods, because if you're not regularly maintaining that seal, your AirPod Pros are literally not delivering anything that the regular AirPods can't deliver.

Last edited:

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
I've sent mine off for service, previously they just replaced them but apparently they can't do that anymore via mail so you have to send them in first, then they "diagnose" them and fix them, which I think means they just replace them in practice.

This is the most unreliable Apple product I've ever owned, it's a shame despite all their issues, I still think they're the best bluetooth earphone there is

Reactions: allegator1

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Earwax acts as a lubricant and, if there's enough of it (really doesn't take much) around the tips, it will cause them to jostle loose and break their seal as soon as they start making any kind of sound (which is vibration, right?) no matter which size or style (silicone vs memory foam, etc.) tips you use.

If you're seeing wax on your AirPod Pro tips when you take them out of your ear, this could be the reason for your poor seal. Try cleaning the wax out of the edges of your ear, where the tips would come into contact with your ear - but be very careful not to insert objects such as q-tips or anything actually into your ear. Also try cleaning the wax of the tips as best as you can too (Apple's guidance -- do not engage any power to any part after cleaning until it is completely dry). Waxy tips may be slick in your ears and jostle loose with the sound vibrations.

If your AirPods Pro won't stay sealed despite your best attempts to remove earwax or try all sizes and styles, return them if you still can; there is nothing that Apple - or anyone else - can do to achieve noise cancellation in your ears with an earbud-style headphone. Consider instead over-the-ear headphones that have a better chance at maintaining their seal, or save yourself some money with regular AirPods, because if you're not regularly maintaining that seal, your AirPod Pros are literally not delivering anything that the regular AirPods can't deliver.

Actually I find with Comply, I have no issues with wax build up. They always stay in.

I never had any issue with other silicone ear tips either, it's only been the AirPods Pro that have this issue.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
I’m glad there is a solution, but now I find I have to suck on my AirPods every couple of days… is there a more permanent way of keeping these grills clean?

And yes, I do clean my ears regularly and don’t see any wax on the tips with normal use…

Reactions: Peter K.

Zahni

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2019
I also getting two new earpieces from Apple. A quick test: They working, including the fit test. I also noticed the new grill with a fingernail.

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
I just tried applying some scotch tape to the microphone grill, then ripping it off. Definitely got some gunk off the first try. Noise cancellation seems much better.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Guys, this is a design flaw. If it’s manufactured after Oct 2020 you are in the clear. The sucking fix is temporary. It ultimately fails eventually. Just replace it

Macine Toc

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2020
My AAPP were manufactured before October 2020.
I've always had the well known issues described here: fit test never passed, bass weakness, noise cancellation = 0.
I've tried a lot of "solutions". I haven't found no lasting one.
Today I a going to go to a Genius Bar to have my AAPP replaced.
I would have like to know if the actual AAPP units are better than the previous ones.
I do not feel like losing time for a 3-4 days temporary solution.
Thanks in advance for helping.

allegator1

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2021
Guys, this is a design flaw. If it’s manufactured after Oct 2020 you are in the clear. The sucking fix is temporary. It ultimately fails eventually. Just replace
I've sent mine off for service, previously they just replaced t
I've sent mine off for service, previously they just replaced them but apparently they can't do that anymore via mail so you have to send them in first, then they "diagnose" them and fix them, which I think means they just replace them in practice.

This is the most unreliable Apple product I've ever owned, it's a shame despite all their issues, I still think they're the best bluetooth earphone there is
Yeah, these are indeed the best all-around buds out there, but... I'm on my 3rd pair for this issue, and they were also replaced once for the hardware-crackling issue. All good now; ear-tip test always passes, but I know I'm on borrowed time. In a few short weeks I will notice a dullness and boominess in my voice on one side when I'm talking to someone. This will be especially evident in transparency mode, which I love. At that point I will redo the tip test and the side in question will fail. Every time. The grills are squeaky clean. --Wish Apple could solve this, or at least acknowledge it.

TheAustrianGuy

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
I had my Airpods replaced in Spring, now I have the rattling and failing fit test with the right Airpod again.
According to the s/n, the replacement Airpods were produced in 1/21. Can‘t say for sure, though.

What a crap product.

At least I have AC+.

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
Is it normal for AirPods Pros to wiggle themselves out after awhile or am I using the wrong size cushion or is there something wrong with my ears?

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
Better return your ears and get new ones!

I think that seal test is wonky. I ignore it and I get great noise cancellation.

Reactions: Otflyer

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
I can’t pass thr test and can’t get anything that resembles noise canceling. No difference in it or transparency. No angle, tips or anything changes that. They fall out after a few ninutes. They need some xl tips I think, L doesn’t seem big enough. Olus it doesn’t seem like they go far enough in.

Guess they will go back.

Last edited:

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
I get great noise cancelling and one ear can't pass the fit test. I think the fit test is bogus. Just find the tip that makes the noise cancelling work. If none of the three sizes works for you, you'll have to return them and buy something that allows you to get a custom fit.

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
I get great noise cancelling and one ear can't pass the fit test. I think the fit test is bogus. Just find the tip that makes the noise cancelling work. If none of the three sizes works for you, you'll have to return them and buy something that allows you to get a custom fit.
They went back, none of the tips including aftermarket memory foam worked. Noise canceling sounded just like transparent and they would not stay in. Seemed too short for my ears. Wife found out she doesn’t like in ear type. We both eound up with headphones. WH-1000XM4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.