Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelant

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
So, looks like the new models have a recessed grill, have anyone here tested if it fixes the problems or just delay them?
One of my two replaced pods, both with recessed grille, starting having the same problems after about three weeks - failed fit test, noise cancelling worse, especially with "inner ear" noises.

The twist is they appear to be manufactured too early to be redesigned, though I definitely could tell the difference with the grille when comparing to the originals I sent back. Both are "D9", so last week of August?

Using blu-tack, I can get the right pod to pass the fit test (though NC doesn't get back to as good as it was for the first couple weeks) but it fails again after only a couple hours use now. So I'm going to get it replaced. The left pod has been fine. Maybe I have refurbished AirPods as replacements? Could explain the grilles on them before Oct '20. Does seem unlikely that AirPods Pro would be refurbished, though.

EDIT

Maybe there is no redesign with the recessed grilles, though. I've seen people saying the different grille matches different location of manufacture, i.e. Vietnam instead of China. That would explain my recessed grilles even though manufactured too early. Would also explain, disappointingly, how my replacement pod starting having the same problems as my original, right at the same time - after only several weeks use.

Last edited:

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
One of my two replaced pods, both with recessed grille, starting having the same problems after about three weeks - failed fit test, noise cancelling worse, especially with "inner ear" noises.

The twist is they appear to be manufactured too early to be redesigned, though I definitely could tell the difference with the grille when comparing to the originals I sent back. Both are "D9", so last week of August?

Using blu-tack, I can get the right pod to pass the fit test (though NC doesn't get back to as good as it was for the first couple weeks) but it fails again after only a couple hours use now. So I'm going to get it replaced. The left pod has been fine. Maybe I have refurbished AirPods as replacements? Could explain the grilles on them before Oct '20. Does seem unlikely that AirPods Pro would be refurbished, though.

EDIT

Maybe there is no redesign with the recessed grilles, though. I've seen people saying the different grille matches different location of manufacture, i.e. Vietnam instead of China. That would explain my recessed grilles even though manufactured too early. Would also explain, disappointingly, how my replacement pod starting having the same problems as my original, right at the same time - after only several weeks use.
Can you post a picture of your AirPods? I down know, the pictures I’ve seen the difference is big enough to make me believe it’s a design change, the grille is way deeper compared to the original design.

michaelant

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
Can you post a picture of your AirPods? I down know, the pictures I’ve seen the difference is big enough to make me believe it’s a design change, the grille is way deeper compared to the original design.
Here's an attempt through a loupe I had sitting around. Pretty hard to get the lighting/focus so I was only able to get the left AirPod, and that actually is the one that is ok with no problems. Though the right one looks the same to me.

I have a cheap iPhone macro lens on the way in a couple days (I was reminded a macro lens could be fun to have), I might try again. Just a regular shot with my iPhone X I couldn't get the grilles to be visible enough, even with cropping it all the way.

In this shot, yeah, it does look like a design change.
Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 11.06.59 PM.png

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016

EDIT

That looks like it, so it doesn’t really avoid the problem. Well, I’ll stick with multi tack + sucking to keep mine clean until close to a year then I’ll replace them to get new batteries

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
I bought my airpods Pro in October and the right always seems to be a pain to get a seal in. The left always perfect. Weirdly the left doesn’t actually feel that secure in the ear.

With the right i have to twist and adjust it a bit to get a good seal but it never stays. Especially when running. I was hoping my airpods max could replace them for the gym and running but they’re not appropriate for that kind of activity.

I did actually try and return them but the store wouldn’t let me (wasn’t an apple store). Suffice to say i wont be buying from them again.

It’s ok though, I probably just have an odd shaped right ear. I doubt a replacement would fix the issue.

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
I bought my airpods Pro in October and the right always seems to be a pain to get a seal in. The left always perfect. Weirdly the left doesn’t actually feel that secure in the ear.

With the right i have to twist and adjust it a bit to get a good seal but it never stays. Especially when running. I was hoping my airpods max could replace them for the gym and running but they’re not appropriate for that kind of activity.

I did actually try and return them but the store wouldn’t let me (wasn’t an apple store). Suffice to say i wont be buying from them again.

It’s ok though, I probably just have an odd shaped right ear. I doubt a replacement would fix the issue.
Did you try different tips? For me I get the best seal with the medium on the right and big on the left.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Did you try different tips? For me I get the best seal with the medium on the right and big on the left.

Yeah I tried them all. I find the largest ones are the best overall and move about the least. But they’re not perfect.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Ive actually just read through this thread after my initial post.

Mine too got a good seal fit the first few days then got worse after that. Mine have the recessed grill and were bought in Oct 2020. Sorry for anyone that gets their hopes up I don’t think it makes any difference.

Has anyone tried memory foam buds for these? Ive seen them on amazon but they’re pretty expensive so don’t want to get them if they end up useleas.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010

I have exactly the same problem and got Comply foam ear tips. I don't necessarily get a better seal with them, but the earphones don't get loose or fall out while running anymore.

Reactions: The1andOnly

vanhalen26

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
My right app is rattling and neither will pass the fit test any longer. Anyone know if those two points are connected?

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
My right app is rattling and neither will pass the fit test any longer. Anyone know if those two points are connected?
I do believe they are connected. You can try cleaning the outside meshes (specially the one that faces your ear) using blu tack or 99% isopropyl alcohol to see if the sounds issues disappear. Or you can replace them with Apple, there’s a repair program just for this issue.

vanhalen26

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
I do believe they are connected. You can try cleaning the outside meshes (specially the one that faces your ear) using blu tack or 99% isopropyl alcohol to see if the sounds issues disappear. Or you can replace them with Apple, there’s a repair program just for this issue.

I ended up having the rattling one replaced. Once replaced it passed the fit test but the other still didn’t. Then I tried cleaning the meshes with blu tack as suggested and the noise cancelling is noticeably improved and it passes the fit test no problem repeatedly now. I was skeptical it would work/help but it’s a huge difference

I got the tack from my kids, I guess it needs to be part of my care kit for the headphones and I’ll keep some around. Quite the design flaw there I think.

Of note, the AirPod pro that Apple sent me was on an older firmware, it was quite a pain to get it to update and pair. Turns out that even though I had ‘forgotten’ the old pair in the Bluetooth phone menu, the two old ones were still bonded together until the battery died in the one going back to Apple - so having 3 active headphones/APPs was creating a conflict somehow in updating the firmware and pairing. I didn’t realize they were still connected together untitled I got the low battery warning which was when I figured it out. They should do something to make the process smoother, like ship with updated firmware given we can’t initiate the process with a button press like we can with the phones.

porkrind

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
Ive actually just read through this thread after my initial post.

Mine too got a good seal fit the first few days then got worse after that. Mine have the recessed grill and were bought in Oct 2020. Sorry for anyone that gets their hopes up I don’t think it makes any difference.

Has anyone tried memory foam buds for these? Ive seen them on amazon but they’re pretty expensive so don’t want to get them if they end up useleas.
I had exactly this problem with the first pair of AirPod Pros that I bought at launch. They replaced them, and that pair had the same exact issue. My theory is that the provided tips get more flexible as they break in, meaning that for marginal cases where the fit just barely works, they eventually lose the stiffness that makes them work.

I decided to try again a few weeks ago when my original AirPods finally decided to give up the ghost. The tips sent with the new pair had the same problem, but the Comply 2.0 tips are now working well for me.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
So my AirPods still pass the noise cancelling seal test every time but the noise cancelling is definitely shot to pieces. They were brilliant when I first got them but now noise cancelling is virtually non-existent. They were replaced in November with the recessed grills design. I have several spare sets of tips and I’ve tried them all and it’s made no difference.
I shall call Apple support tomorrow and talk to them about sending out replacements.

Last edited:

rayrayray85

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2021
I am going to throw my hat into the ring With the theory of a clogged vent. Was having issue with both app failing. Apple support sent me replacements. Good for about a week then right one started failing test again. Also noticed sense of increases pressure in right ear. After reading about others having success with cleaning outside grills, I gave this an attempt. Was unsuccessful at multiple methods such as sticky tape or just whipping off with lint free cloth. Finally in a last ditch effort put my mouth over the outside grills and used suction to try to clear them out (super sexy I know). However it was successful. Noticed an immediate change in inner ear pressure and both sides have now passed the tests Numerous times, and right unit seems to have slightly better bass then before cleaning. Also had the increased bone conduction in right ear, this also has been greatly reduced.
I can confirm. It is 100% the inner vent screen - I had previously exhausted all other options (even bought pricey headfi.org recommended SednaEarfit ) Xelastec tips). What didn’t make sense to me,regarding the fit of the buds being the cause of test failure, was that they had worked very well for about 4 months. Then, over the last 6 months or so, I started noticing pressure and the “thudding when I even stepped barefoot at home, while wearing the APPs. I have ear and sinus issues constantly, so I had attributed this gradual change to my own ears. I had not run the test for easily that time period, until I was looking around in the APP settings after the last iOS update, hoping for additional “Spacial Audio” setting/controls (side note re: SA: an option to turn off continuous occurring ‘re-centering’ would be HUGE) I happened to see and be reminded of the ‘Fit Test’ option and gave it a try- that’s what led me down this wormhole. SOLVED. It’s just like what plagued AP1/2s only on the actual driver mesh which blocked sound.

‘Sucking’ / 90% alcohol + q-tip /‘Sucking’ / duct tape (to pull up clogs) worked and resulted in “good seal L+R”, first try after 3 days of literally 100’s of failed tests and constant adjustments (and sore ear canals).

THANK YOU!

Oljato99

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2021
I had the same problem with the APP I got for Christmas. After reading Abrucks and rayrayray85 I tried the tape fix. I took regular scotch tape and use it on both screen on both pods. Just a light press and pull off like a band aid.
Hard to believe but both pods pass the seal test now! Just worries me because I do not work in a dusty environment. Should not have been an issue after only one month.

UPDATE: Only worked for about 2 days then back to random poor fit messages. Better, but still random

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter K.

magneeto

Suspended
Oct 27, 2020
I am going to throw my hat into the ring With the theory of a clogged vent. Was having issue with both app failing. Apple support sent me replacements. Good for about a week then right one started failing test again. Also noticed sense of increases pressure in right ear. After reading about others having success with cleaning outside grills, I gave this an attempt. Was unsuccessful at multiple methods such as sticky tape or just whipping off with lint free cloth. Finally in a last ditch effort put my mouth over the outside grills and used suction to try to clear them out (super sexy I know). However it was successful. Noticed an immediate change in inner ear pressure and both sides have now passed the tests Numerous times, and right unit seems to have slightly better bass then before cleaning. Also had the increased bone conduction in right ear, this also has been greatly reduced.

So which grill do you suck ? The one which is the vent ? Or the one which goes into your ear ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.