Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lorde3534

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2021

I know this sounds crazy but worked for me lol im speechless???
Russians built different, theyre not from this world for sure??

magneeto

Suspended
Oct 27, 2020
Hi Guys,

So My Airpods Pro is not eve 1 Year old and just in 6 Months of Use My Ear Tips Test started Failing, I took it to the Service Centre they did something and gave me a day later and it started working again but I had to adjust and move and turn and twist the Airpods Pro a lot while wearing. I had to spend atleast 5 Minutes After Airpods Pro to get the Ear Fit Test Giving me a Good Seal Message and guess what ?? Now it takes close to around 15-20 Mins of Playing with the Airpods Pro to get the Good Seal Result.

Imagine me spending 15-20 Mins to get the good seal, so if I am gonna spend this much amount just in getting the Good Seal when the hell am I gonna be using it ??

Any thoughts ?

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
Hi Guys,

So My Airpods Pro is not eve 1 Year old and just in 6 Months of Use My Ear Tips Test started Failing, I took it to the Service Centre they did something and gave me a day later and it started working again but I had to adjust and move and turn and twist the Airpods Pro a lot while wearing. I had to spend atleast 5 Minutes After Airpods Pro to get the Ear Fit Test Giving me a Good Seal Message and guess what ?? Now it takes close to around 15-20 Mins of Playing with the Airpods Pro to get the Good Seal Result.

Imagine me spending 15-20 Mins to get the good seal, so if I am gonna spend this much amount just in getting the Good Seal when the hell am I gonna be using it ??

Any thoughts ?

that little mesh that faces your ear is a microphone, if it get clogged with earwax the fit test will fail (or be much harder to pass) along with other sound issues like lack of bass, weak anc, weird noises. You need to keep that mesh always clean, even if looks clean on naked eyes, the little holes are probably clogged.

First try cleaning gently using a dry cotton swab. If it’s not enough you’ll need a adhesive product like blu-tack to pull whatever is stuck in there.
AirPods Pro produced after October 2020 have this mesh more recessed, so it’s a little more harder to develop this issue. If it keeps giving you trouble I advise you to contact apple and say you’re having sound issues (lack of bass, anc) , they will probably replace them because there’s a repair program for this issue. In the future avoid touching that mesh and keep your ears clean.

magneeto

Suspended
Oct 27, 2020
that little mesh that faces your ear is a microphone, if it get clogged with earwax the fit test will fail (or be much harder to pass) along with other sound issues like lack of bass, weak anc, weird noises. You need to keep that mesh always clean, even if looks clean on naked eyes, the little holes are probably clogged.

First try cleaning gently using a dry cotton swab. If it’s not enough you’ll need a adhesive product like blu-tack to pull whatever is stuck in there.
AirPods Pro produced after October 2020 have this mesh more recessed, so it’s a little more harder to develop this issue. If it keeps giving you trouble I advise you to contact apple and say you’re having sound issues (lack of bass, anc) , they will probably replace them because there’s a repair program for this issue. In the future avoid touching that mesh and keep your ears clean.

My Airpods Pro are in Pristine Condition. I hardly take them Outside my House. So there is no question of any Wax or Dirt getting accumulated on the Mesh Area. I also keep my ears clean of Wax and clean it at every frequent intervals. So I do not believe My Ear Fit Test was failing because of this.

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
My Airpods Pro are in Pristine Condition. I hardly take them Outside my House. So there is no question of any Wax or Dirt getting accumulated on the Mesh Area. I also keep my ears clean of Wax and clean it at every frequent intervals. So I do not believe My Ear Fit Test was failing because of this.
I’m sorry but there’s 37 pages of people discussing exactly this and we found this to be the cause. If you don’t believe then I don’t know what to say, I was trying to help. You can always contact apple support. Good luck.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012

I just had a replacement of both pods due to a cracking sound in the speakers.

I ‘ve always been very carefully with the inner mesh, who knows why they broke up.

the new pods have specific serials: is there a way to check the production date?

magneeto

Suspended
Oct 27, 2020
I’m sorry but there’s 37 pages of people discussing exactly this and we found this to be the cause. If you don’t believe then I don’t know what to say, I was trying to help. You can always contact apple support. Good luck.

Before giving my Airpods Pro to Apple Service Centre I had done this trick. And it had not worked for me. It was still failing.

magneeto

Suspended
Oct 27, 2020

I ‘ve always been very carefully with the inner mesh, who knows why they broke up.

the new pods have specific serials: is there a way to check the production date?

Chipmunk

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016

A few pages back someone said there’s a little serial difference, but it’s easy to spot the change because that mesh is clearly more recessed vs the first model.

Reactions: Jutah

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018

Lol...your ears are constantly secreting oils. There is no way you can keep your ears clean enough to not plug the mesh.

Reactions: Peter K.

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018

I know this sounds crazy but worked for me lol im speechless???
Russians built different, theyre not from this world for sure??

Yeah, this can work, but I definitely recommend against it. High levels of positive/negative air pressure can damage the internal microphones. Trust me, because I ruined one of mine doing something similar.

magneeto

Suspended
Oct 27, 2020
Lol...your ears are constantly secreting oils. There is no way you can keep your ears clean enough to not plug the mesh.

Yes I know that but compared to what I have seen others Airpods with the Wax built up on it. Mine is way way cleaner than those what I have seen on YouTube and else where. That is what I mean.

Last edited:

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
A few pages back someone said there’s a little serial difference, but it’s easy to spot the change because that mesh is clearly more recessed vs the first model.

thank you. I read it carefully. It's not clear if the recessed mesh is a redesign or something else.
My new buds seems to be both recessed. Unfortunately i send back the old one, so i can't compare the different units.

Here a couple of pics.

the point is: how to keep the mesh really clean? My previous bud shows the rattle gate after one year. Luckily I have 2 years Apple warranty. To it was not related to the earwax: I clean them twice a month with blue tack.

I think that the best way to clean the inner mesh is:
1) qtip with alcohol (to make the wax softer)
2) brush (the break the wax)
3) blue tack if (to grab the wax)

hat do you think?

Attachments

• 37D48CE5-3E10-48FA-ADBE-A6E0031ED0C5.jpeg
    37D48CE5-3E10-48FA-ADBE-A6E0031ED0C5.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 185
  • FAF587FA-5A54-4895-A501-8FB0F0DAF6B0.jpeg
    FAF587FA-5A54-4895-A501-8FB0F0DAF6B0.jpeg
    240 KB · Views: 182

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2014
Not exactly a 'solution' per se, but I have wingtips such as these that you can slip on and off and, not only are they very comfortable and provide the perfect fit so that I never, and I mean never have to worry about the APPs falling out (it is so relaxing to not worry about what I'm doing when having my airpods in), they also provide clearance so that your ears surface never touches the vents, hence the vents never get dirty/blocked.

In my experience I've now had the same pair of APPs for almost a year, after having to replace them quite frequently before I got wingtips such as these due to the same issues everyone is describing here. My current pair works perfectly in every sense, slipping these wingtips on and off is a matter of seconds each time, and I'm the happiest I've ever been with the airpod pros. I think this is the way they should've came originally.

Attachments

• 1617705933484.png
    1617705933484.png
    4 MB · Views: 320

magneeto

Suspended
Oct 27, 2020
Not exactly a 'solution' per se, but I have wingtips such as these that you can slip on and off and, not only are they very comfortable and provide the perfect fit so that I never, and I mean never have to worry about the APPs falling out (it is so relaxing to not worry about what I'm doing when having my airpods in), they also provide clearance so that your ears surface never touches the vents, hence the vents never get dirty/blocked.

In my experience I've now had the same pair of APPs for almost a year, after having to replace them quite frequently before I got wingtips such as these due to the same issues everyone is describing here. My current pair works perfectly in every sense, slipping these wingtips on and off is a matter of seconds each time, and I'm the happiest I've ever been with the airpod pros. I think this is the way they should've came originally.

But I guess this will not help you get the Ear Fit Test Successful ? Does it ?

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2014
But I guess this will not help you get the Ear Fit Test Successful ? Does it ?
Ever since I started using them I’ve never had the ear fit test fail. Before using them it would start failing after a month or two, and I’ve replaced my airpods like 5 times.

But now using the wingtips everything works perfectly for almost a year now!

magneeto

Suspended
Oct 27, 2020
Ever since I started using them I’ve never had the ear fit test fail. Before using them it would start failing after a month or two, and I’ve replaced my airpods like 5 times.

But now using the wingtips everything works perfectly for almost a year now!

Are you sure it is because of the wingtips that you are getting a Good Seal Test Pass ?

I have this from Elago

they are also kind of the same thing. I am not using them currently on my Airpods Pro Do You think I should use them and they will help me get the ear fit test pass ?

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2014
Are you sure it is because of the wingtips that you are getting a Good Seal Test Pass ?

I have this from Elago

they are also kind of the same thing. I am not using them currently on my Airpods Pro Do You think I should use them and they will help me get the ear fit test pass ?
the grills on the inside of my airpod pros are, and have always been, perfectly clean because of the wingtips. so yes i’m sure they are perfectly clean because of them.

would this specific pair of airpods work just as well have I not been using the wing tips? i have no idea, maybe yes maybe no. but the grills would not be this clean, that is certain.

and when my old airpod pros would start having the fit test issues, it would always be due to blocked grills.

magneeto

Suspended
Oct 27, 2020
the grills on the inside of my airpod pros are, and have always been, perfectly clean because of the wingtips. so yes i’m sure they are perfectly clean because of them.

would this specific pair of airpods work just as well have I not been using the wing tips? i have no idea, maybe yes maybe no. but the grills would not be this clean, that is certain.

and when my old airpod pros would start having the fit test issues, it would always be due to blocked grills.

I asked you something and you gave me a complete wayward answer. :rolleyes:

TheSynchronizer

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2014
I asked you something and you gave me a complete wayward answer. :rolleyes:
how am i supposed to be sure if
it is because of the wingtips that you are getting a Good Seal Test Pass ?
i’m not an airpod pro scientist or designer or whoever you expect me to be - i’m simply a guy who owns airpod pros, and i’ve have had none of the issues i used to experience ever SINCE i started using wingtips. so i just made the connection between the two, and hence i’m suggesting it here.

as just a guy i CAN however make the observation that the grills are clean, and my airpod pros with wingtips have NEVER failed the fit test, and that all the anc functions, and sound works as intended.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012

I have this from Elago

nice product! I do not like the earwings and this looks a great substitute.

Do that covers do their job? Does the mesh stay clean?

magneeto

Suspended
Oct 27, 2020
I have had this for more than 10 months with me but have not used it not put on to the Airpods Pro as putting them on the APP looks like Pain.

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
thank you. I read it carefully. It's not clear if the recessed mesh is a redesign or something else.
My new buds seems to be both recessed. Unfortunately i send back the old one, so i can't compare the different units.

Here a couple of pics.

the point is: how to keep the mesh really clean? My previous bud shows the rattle gate after one year. Luckily I have 2 years Apple warranty. To it was not related to the earwax: I clean them twice a month with blue tack.

I think that the best way to clean the inner mesh is:
1) qtip with alcohol (to make the wax softer)
2) brush (the break the wax)
3) blue tack if (to grab the wax)

hat do you think?
It’s obviously a redesign, the first model the mesh was very even with the frame, just like the renders on the apple website. The new models the mesh is clearly recessed. Apple isn’t known for allowing manufacturing differentiation, quite the opposite.

Anyway, I think you should first try the way Apple recommends, using a dry cotton swab to clean the mesh, especially if you see something stuck or it’s clearly shining from oil.
Try the fit test, if it passes then move on.
If doesn’t, try blu tack and it will probably do the trick.
I believe isopropyl alcohol is only needed after a long time without taking proper care so earwax and oil possibly impregnated on the mesh.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
It’s obviously a redesign, the first model the mesh was very even with the frame, just like the renders on the apple website. The new models the mesh is clearly recessed. Apple isn’t known for allowing manufacturing differentiation, quite the opposite.

Anyway, I think you should first try the way Apple recommends, using a dry cotton swab to clean the mesh, especially if you see something stuck or it’s clearly shining from oil.
Try the fit test, if it passes then move on.
If doesn’t, try blu tack and it will probably do the trick.
I believe isopropyl alcohol is only needed after a long time without taking proper care so earwax and oil possibly impregnated on the mesh.

thank you very much for your answer.
I’ve always used blue tack as best practice for the cleaning of my APP but after 6 months a bud starts rattling, out of the blue.

I asked for a replacement of both buds and now they sound great (the mic sucks as ).

I checked the image on apple website and in the very first one the mesh is not even.

054E618F-3C01-4461-893C-850F176290AA.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.