Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I've had mine since the day they launched and at that time, I was able to use all three sizes and pass the fit test. Now, 17 days later, none of the sizes will permit me to pass dispite how much I adjust them. But, like others have said, I can't tell a difference soundwise. I find it particulaly odd that the small and the large sizes, which I only tried on a few times, also fail to pass, so I'm not inclined to think the tips have degraded in some way, so it's eother my ears or the Airpods themselves. I'm now three days past the period I can return them, althought I might be able to make a fuss and get to anyway, but is it worth the hassle? Should this even be something to even worry about?
Maybe get some replacement tips and if they pass the seal test, then that should be proof enough that the original tips have deteriorated

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Maybe get some replacement tips and if they pass the seal test, then that should be proof enough that the original tips have deteriorated
Thats a good idea. It will entail contacting Apple and begin their troubleshooting procedure first. I don't want to buy my own replacement tips, not after only 17 days.

smarcotte

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2012
Mine passed the fit test the first day. Now the left one passes the test every time and the right one fails every time even if I push it into my ear while running the test. The sound and ANC don’t seem to be affected no matter what the test results.
Mine passed the fit test the first day as well. However, fairly quickly, the left ear did not. I ordered replacement tips. Same result. The left ear would pass initially but fail later that day. I then asked for a warranty replacement set which I received. Same result. Both ears passed initially but later the left ear failed. I agree with others who have said that although one or both ears have passed the fit test, the quality of ANC is good. I have used a leaf blower and been able to hear whatever programming I was listening to at a reasonable volume. I also hope that a future firmware update will address this issue.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Mine passed the fit test the first day as well. However, fairly quickly, the left ear did not. I ordered replacement tips. Same result. The left ear would pass initially but fail later that day. I then asked for a warranty replacement set which I received. Same result. Both ears passed initially but later the left ear failed. I agree with others who have said that although one or both ears have passed the fit test, the quality of ANC is good. I have used a leaf blower and been able to hear whatever programming I was listening to at a reasonable volume. I also hope that a future firmware update will address this issue.
Same exact experience here. I believe theres something wrong with the fit test. Doesn’t matter if I pass or fail the sound and ANC don’t change. I’m using the large tips.

Nakana

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
I've spent about 2 hours on the phone with Apple today, trying to describe my issue. For me, it's the right ear that fails. I've had them for about ten days. I noticed the problem first a couple of days ago while driving on the highway. Every bump on the road made a wobbly sound in my right ear. When I run the test, it fails for the right ear now, and I can hear that the bass isn't as strong in that ear. It's weird, though, because I get noise cancellation at high frequencies, but bass frequencies are garbage now that the issue has set in.

I'm going to the Apple Store later today for more testing. The problems with these tips appear to be approaching antenna-gate proportions. Tip-gate? I hope they can salvage the situation because I wanted to love these, but I'm getting ready to look for my torch and pitchfork.

Reactions: 86Hawkeye

Abrucks

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
Same issue here. I think the issue is with the software for the for test. First pair stopped giving a good seal on the test. Received replacement and gave good seal for 2 days then both started saying seal wasn’t good. Both went from good to fail at the same time. Has to be software as a bad ear tip or deterioration wouldn’t occur instantly at the same time.

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
If those of you who have had the APPs for a week or more (and for whom the ear tip fit test initially passed) could please redo the fit test and let us know if your AirPods still pass, that might be illuminating. Thanks.

I have mine since two weeks. The first 3 days I tried various tip sizes and run the fit test. I had a good seal with medium and large. I settled with the large and used them a few hours daily.

I just run the test twice again. I still have a good seal.

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
I think the fit test still has some bugs.

Just now mine froze up and kept playing the test song without showing me results. Apparently they have the full song stored for it and not just a short audio clip ?

karelessflamingo

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2019
I bought mine when they came out. Over time it seems the right ear bud started having issues. Today I felt like I wasn't getting noise canceling so I decided to try a smaller bud, worked great for a bit but hurt my ear. Swapped all of my ear buds out s,m,l and even took the one off the left that fit perfect. I can't get a perfect seal on the right side no matter what. Nothing changed in my ear so I am going to guess its a issue with the right air pod pro itself. Have a genius appointment tomorrow so Ill let you know.

When they work they're great but they suck when they don't

sft109

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2009
I don’t think this is related to the tips — I think there’s a problem with the fit test itself. I’ve now had four (4!) pairs of AirPod Pros and each one passed the fit test regularly for the first few days, and then started failing — first one side, then both. The pattern is consistent and repeatable.

I exchanged the first two pairs of AirPod Pros after they started to fail the tip test, and both the pairs of APPs I received in exchange also passed the fit test consistently for a few days, and then started to fail. Now both of the pairs I still have fail every single time. In each case, the fit hasn’t really changed (they seem pretty well sealed), and the ANC and sound also haven’t changed. I would hope that a firmware update or a new iOS version will fix this.

If those of you who have had the APPs for a week or more (and for whom the ear tip fit test initially passed) could please redo the fit test and let us know if your AirPods still pass, that might be illuminating. Thanks.

Can confirm this same experience as well. Would be interesting to hear if others are NOT having this issue.

My wife and I both have a pair. I returned my first pair as I got some weird noises on the left bud when talking on the phone and walking (guessing it was an internal mic issue). I had noticed though that it had stopped giving me a good seal on the test after a few days even though originally it gave me good seals with both the mediums and large tips (and never with the small tips which I can confirm from feel didn’t seal).

However in spite of the test saying no seal after a few days I could tell they still sealed just fine (I’ve owned many in ear buds before including Etymotics, Shure and Sennheisers so I know when they are sealed). My second pair developed the same thing. Fine at first and then very inconsistent results. I think (hope) its a software bug of some sort or otherwise the internal mics are crapping out. There is almost zero chance of the tips themselves warping and visually inspecting them they look like new and identical to my wife’s large tips which have never been used since she uses the small ones. Also just using her tips on my set don’t change the results.

At the end of the day they sound fine and noise canceling works just fine. People should be able to tell from feel whether they seal fine (just like every other sealing in ear bud in existence) rather than relying on a software test which I feel is buggy right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: mgscheue and BD1

Cmdr

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
I have experienced the same problem. Got my pair day 1, so had to be the first batch. At first, good seal with medium, but since I use large for other IEMs I switched to large. After a few days, I couldn’t get a seal on the left. I swapped tips, still the same: left failed, right passed.

I cleaned the tips according to the manual, no change.

Then I contacted Apple, told support that the left one doesn’t seal anymore and I experience less bass on the left.

Apple sent me a replacement for the left AirPod. While it was on the way, I repeated the fit test. Suddenly, both failed to seal.

The left replacement arrived. After initial difficulties to pair the new one, because both seemed to have different firmware versions, I put on a new tip in size large and ran the fit test. Result: left (new AirPod, fresh tip) passed, right (old AirPod, old tip) failed.

So then I swapped the tips and ran the test again. The result:

Left (new AirPod + old tip) = Good seal
Right (old AirPod + new tip, which had a good seal and on the other side seconds before) = Fail

I ran the tests multiple times and also tried adjusting them when it failed. The results are consistent.

Since I do hear a difference when the test reports a good seal in form of better bass and ANC performance, I don’t think it’s the test software.

I don’t think that it’s the tips either, at least it’s not the main cause.

My theory is that dirt, sweat, gunk etc. blocks parts of the tiny black vent covers after just a few days of wear and this changes the sound characteristics, which are then picked up by the internal mics differently and therefore don’t match the reference recording. If this is the case, then the sound quality of every AirPods Pro will deteriorate quite quickly.

I don’t see how the grids can be cleaned effectively to prevent this. I have very clean ears, take care of the AirPods and it still happens to them.

Another possibility would be that the microphones are dying very quickly, but I don’t think that this is very likely.

Toratek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
I'm beginning to wonder whether there is an issue with the external microphones... it seems to me that

My theory is that dirt, sweat, gunk etc. blocks parts of the tiny black vent covers after just a few days of wear and this changes the sound characteristics, which are then picked up by the internal mics differently and therefore don’t match the reference recording. If this is the case, then the sound quality of every AirPods Pro will deteriorate quite quickly.

I don’t see how the grids can be cleaned effectively to prevent this. I have very clean ears, take care of the AirPods and it still happens to them.

Another possibility would be that the microphones are dying very quickly, but I don’t think that this is very likely.

I found myself typing nearly the exact same thing a few hours before your post, only to delete it. I think you’re on to something with that theory.

I’m satisfied with the sound of my APP, because I still have a good seal- been using IEM’s professionally for decades- but the test seems biased by something to do with how the external mics are reacting after some use.

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
I’m having a similar issue where I feel like I can hear more noise through my right ear bud. I’ve tried all the tips and the tests say they’re all getting a good seal but it definitely sounds like the ANC is better on my left ear than my right. I’m not sure if it’s a seal issue or a software/hardware issue. But it’s definitely frustrating because everything sounds unbalanced.

sft109

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2009
I have experienced the same problem. Got my pair day 1, so had to be the first batch. At first, good seal with medium, but since I use large for other IEMs I switched to large. After a few days, I couldn’t get a seal on the left. I swapped tips, still the same: left failed, right passed.

I cleaned the tips according to the manual, no change.

Then I contacted Apple, told support that the left one doesn’t seal anymore and I experience less bass on the left.

Apple sent me a replacement for the left AirPod. While it was on the way, I repeated the fit test. Suddenly, both failed to seal.

The left replacement arrived. After initial difficulties to pair the new one, because both seemed to have different firmware versions, I put on a new tip in size large and ran the fit test. Result: left (new AirPod, fresh tip) passed, right (old AirPod, old tip) failed.

So then I swapped the tips and ran the test again. The result:

Left (new AirPod + old tip) = Good seal
Right (old AirPod + new tip, which had a good seal and on the other side seconds before) = Fail

I ran the tests multiple times and also tried adjusting them when it failed. The results are consistent.

Since I do hear a difference when the test reports a good seal in form of better bass and ANC performance, I don’t think it’s the test software.

Yes the external mics could have something to do with it too. Because software alone shouldn’t change it I agree on that. It’s a combination of the software being sensitive and likely something messing with the mics that are used for the test. I work out in mine so they definitely are exposed to sweat. I’m gonna try to clean everything today (electronics duster, wipe down, etc) and see if any difference.

Edit: I just used an electronic duster pretty aggressively all over the vents etc and wiped down everything with a microfiber cloth and now both ears are showing a good seal. We’ll see how long that lasts.

Edit 2: both now just showed adjust eatips message after a while even though they remain sealed. Discovered something else though. I think it may depend on the level of air pressure that is sealed in your ear. I’m a scuba diver and occasionally equalize my ears (squeeze your nose with your hand to block any outflow and gently attempt to breathe out through your nose while blocked and you’ll feel air redirected to your ear canals). After I equalized my ears the test showed a good seal again even though I didn’t adjust them physically at all. Seems the mics are highly sensitive. My guess is they adjust the software on the eartip test if they get enough people returning / complaining.

Last edited:

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I’ve tried two diffe
I tried two pairs of replacement tips. No love. I don’t believe it’s the tips.

Last edited:

JackDaniels3

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2016
Bulgaria
During the initial fit test, the volume of the test is around 40% by default. You can pass probably all of the tips.
When you test it later on, the volume is a lot higher, because you already change the volume while using them, and with the higher volume it rarely passes the test. That's my theory.

My expirience was similar to yours - initially the middle and the large ones were a perfect fit. A few days later - failed test with all of the sizes. Now I use middle for the left ear and larger for the right. Again fail the test, but they sound wonderful.

86Hawkeye

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
Chicago, IL
I thought test fit did not work either but After you press the play button on the next screen you have to scroll up and you’ll see another play button.

Well, this tells me the test itself could be buggy. Where there's smoke, there's fire.
[automerge]1574448266[/automerge]
During the initial fit test, the volume of the test is around 40% by default. You can pass probably all of the tips.
When you test it later on, the volume is a lot higher, because you already change the volume while using them, and with the higher volume it rarely passes the test. That's my theory.

My expirience was similar to yours - initially the middle and the large ones were a perfect fit. A few days later - failed test with all of the sizes. Now I use middle for the left ear and larger for the right. Again fail the test, but they sound wonderful.

Same issue for me. There may be some ear tip degradation, which is not good after only a few days, etc.

I returned my set a few days ago and tried the demo pair in the Apple Store. Passed the fit test on the 1st try with the medium tips. Ran it again and passed it again. But over the past week or so, was never able to get any of my tips to pass the test with the Airpods Pro I had. Strange.
[automerge]1574448950[/automerge]
yes. Why two play buttons and the scroll? Thx

It's called a software bug ;)

Last edited:

86Hawkeye

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
Chicago, IL
This whole 'fit test' baffles me. When I need earbuds, I buy them, put the size that fits right on, and then go listen to music.

This whole it must fit right to sound good? Never heard of it until PBP came out.

I can see this becoming a self inflicted wound for Apple. I know of no other similar product that includes an "ear tip fit test". You simply use the tips that feel the best and cancel out the noise and go from there. However, Apple is asking for trouble when people "fail" the fit test, yet the Airpods Pro sound fine and feel sealed in the ear. I had the same issue, so I thought something very small might be wrong. I was concerned that it might develop into a bigger problem over time, so I returned my pair within the 14 day return window. The Apple store was out of stock, so I'm just going to sit tight and see how this issue plays out.

Reactions: mtrctyjoe

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
This fit test is a joke imo. Mine gave me good results for a few days and now the left one fails all the time no matter what tip I use.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple pulls the feature.

Reactions: mtrctyjoe

86Hawkeye

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
Chicago, IL
This fit test is a joke imo. Mine gave me good results for a few days and now the left one fails all the time no matter what tip I use.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple pulls the feature.

Could be. I appreciate Apple trying to add a nice feature. I have faith that they'll work through it. Just might take some time.

wavesm

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2019
I don’t think the test is the issue. I notice when my AirPods start to loose and that is confirmed then by the test.

The real issue for me is that they do not stay as the first few days. I think tips are too thin and soft that have lost a bit of shape and grip.

porkrind

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
The tips deteriorating seems very unlikely to me.

I actually do think its the tips. I got my pair on launch day, and got good sealing and passed the fit test out of the box. They stayed in perfectly as well. A few days later, the left side stopped staying sealed and would slip out of place. At that point, I couldn’t pass the fit test on that side. Couple more days later, same problem with the right side. Both sides sounded notably worse and simply would not make a good enough seal for there to be any bass response.

A replacement set of tips did the exact same thing. Worked for a few cycles then started failing. I think it’s some combination of the stiffness of the material dropping off as they break in and possible some degradation of the material after getting warm and picking up natural body oils and wax.

I really hope someone cracks this code as the APPs as they were on day one were fantastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.